test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I had an idea I thought was cool.

razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
Yesterday, I was looking at the set bonuses for different space gear (like the deflector, impulse engines, cores, and shields), and didn't see anything that was designed for Antiproton except for the Obelisk core, and omni-Antiproton 2 piece set. However, Romulan ships can't use it due to needing a singularity core.

This did get me thinking though. I have played games before where the longer you used a certain weapon, the more you fill up an experience bar for that weapon, or type of weapon. At each level, it would add something to that weapon.

I thought that since the game keeps up with the damage we so with each energy type, why not use that to our advantage. For example: You are using Disruptors on your ship. Every time your weapons hit an enemy, a percentage of that damage from that hit will add to an experience bar for that energy type.

It will be set up so that the experience bar for each level will take a long time to fill up, like about 500,000 each level, and 5-10% of the damage done to the enemy with energy weapons will be put into it. (It can be double that for torps). When it reaches level 1, it will reward something like 0.1% Acc. Then at level 2, it will add 0.1% to something like damage, crith, or critd.

At each level, it just adds a little bit more to it. When it is maxed out, it will bring a total to something like this: Acuracy=5%; CritH=1.5%; CritD=5%; Damage=10%; (same energy type) Resistance=15%

If it is done properly, this will not be something that is achieved by playing through in less than a month, like the rep systems. It can be a long term thing that can take months to reach the max level. Also, all you need to do is just play the game, and you will benefit from it.

This will also help with players that use different energy types at the same time. They can have a bonus to each of them. Also, it will allow the developers to be able to make space sets that will give other benefits to set bonuses like a damage resistance, or special abilities.

This is just an idea I thought might be cool for STO.
Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
Post edited by razar2380 on

Comments

• suzy32suzy32 Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    razar2380 wrote: »
    Yesterday, I was looking at the set bonuses for different space gear (like the deflector, impulse engines, cores, and shields), and didn't see anything that was designed for Antiproton except for the Obelisk core, and omni-Antiproton 2 piece set. However, Romulan ships can't use it due to needing a singularity core.

This did get me thinking though. I have played games before where the longer you used a certain weapon, the more you fill up an experience bar for that weapon, or type of weapon. At each level, it would add something to that weapon.

I thought that since the game keeps up with the damage we so with each energy type, why not use that to our advantage. For example: You are using Disruptors on your ship. Every time your weapons hit an enemy, a percentage of that damage from that hit will add to an experience bar for that energy type.

It will be set up so that the experience bar for each level will take a long time to fill up, like about 500,000 each level, and 5-10% of the damage done to the enemy with energy weapons will be put into it. (It can be double that for torps). When it reaches level 1, it will reward something like 0.1% Acc. Then at level 2, it will add 0.1% to something like damage, crith, or critd.

At each level, it just adds a little bit more to it. When it is maxed out, it will bring a total to something like this: Acuracy=5%; CritH=1.5%; CritD=5%; Damage=10%; (same energy type) Resistance=15%

If it is done properly, this will not be something that is achieved by playing through in less than a month, like the rep systems. It can be a long term thing that can take months to reach the max level. Also, all you need to do is just play the game, and you will benefit from it.

This will also help with players that use different energy types at the same time. They can have a bonus to each of them. Also, it will allow the developers to be able to make space sets that will give other benefits to set bonuses like a damage resistance, or special abilities.

That is an idea

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=590121
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Energy type reputation track?

You get a single mark for each firing cycle, you get to just choose one and can not start another until the first one is complete.
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Energy type reputation track?

You get a single mark for each firing cycle, you get to just choose one and can not start another until the first one is complete.

We already have a lot of rep system grinds, and no doubt we will be getting more. However, this will be something that can work n it's own. All you will need to do is play the game like you normally do, and it will keep leveling it up. When it reaches a new level, it pops up a message to tell you like it does when you get an accolade.

As it is, the game is already keeping track of the damage we do with each energy weapon, and the accolades don't really give us an advantage. This will make the part of the game that tracks our energy type damage do something to help us out.

This can also give players more versatility. For example, let's say you are using Polaris weapons. You can choose to use the J'Hem space set for the extra % of Polaron damage, or you can use a different space set and level this system up. Once you get to max level, you will be doing the +10% and can focus on a space set that will increase something like survivability.

Also, this might even encourage players to try out other energy types also. If you get more than one to max level, you can use different energy types, and still get the same bonus. I have seen veteran players using two different energy types so that they can get the proc from both. They are not doing as much DPS as they did with only one energy type, but their procs from both would stack. And with an A2B and BFAW build, they were able to prod way more than cannons could.

This system could help players that would like to play like this. It can open up a lot of possibilities, and can even allow for more unique builds.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Doesn't sound bad and kinda makes sense but cryptic will never do that. Remember why they changed the whole rep ability system? Becasue "newer" players would be too much at an disatvantage without all these buffs.
    Your idea would make sense, encurage diversity in weapon layouts and would REWARD SEASONED PLAYERS :D. And as we recetnly learned Cryptic hates those players or is there another reason for the bull**** limitation on the rep abalities?

Like I said, cool idea that will never happen :(
  • kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    1. All it does is add another grind to the game
    2. We already have accolades that give a small damage buff to specific damage types if you deal a certain amount of damage with them.
    3. It introduces more power creep, which is what caused the trait nerf in season 9.

IMO it's not a good idea.
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Didn't the old skills system have separate categories for each weapon type? This sounds a bit like that. However as said we already have accolades that do increase damage per energy type. This sort of thing is going out of the window, even Blizzard has removed weapon skills from WoW as they were an annoyance and really added nothing to game play.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Your skills page used to have skill bars for different weapon types where you would increase your skills in that type. It was a bad idea (and badly implemented) and they eventually got rid of it.