test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ending Subscription and EC in bank Question

midntwolfmidntwolf Member Posts: 22 Arc User
edited April 2014 in The Academy
Well I am think I am going to my gold subscription and simple buy $15 worth of zen each month, but I have around 80 million EC right now so I curious what happens to your EC when you go back to F2P and the 10 million EC cap.

Do you lose the excess?

Reason I want to know is because I do plan to purchase the cap as soon as the Subscription runs out but there will be a brief period between the sub ending and buying the EC cap increase and I obviously don't want to loose 70 million EC in the transition.

Also what is it again you retain from your time as a Gold Subscriber?

The extra inventory slots.
The extra bank slots.
The Account bank slots.
The extra BoFF slots.
The extra Character slot.
The extra ship slots.

You keep all this right? Am I missing something?

Anyway, I am trying to figure out how I need to transition back to sliver.
Post edited by midntwolf on

Comments

• Options
    alan171717alan171717 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    From what I understand you will lose the 70 mill, so put it in your account bank to keep it safe
    "I am a travelor of both time and space to be where I have been"
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Unless something has changed the amount above 10mil becomes your cap and every time you go lower, that becomes your new cap. Up until the 10 mil mark.

You can never gain, but you can spend/lose.

My advice, buy the ec limit cap...and don't worry about it
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    dahminus wrote: »

It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Any excess above 10 million ECs goes into an escrow account. It is still available to you to spend. However, you cannot gain any more ECs until your escrow account drops to zero and you have below 10 million ECs.

I actually have a reverse question...

I am thinking about subbing for one month... how many extra inventory and bank slots do I get?

After the one month subscription ends will any new character I create also get the extra slots?
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    I actually have a reverse question...

I am thinking about subbing for one month... how many extra inventory and bank slots do I get?

After the one month subscription ends will any new character I create also get the extra slots?

The number of extra inventory & bank slots you gain depends on the Rank of the character, with the max gains listed in the F2P Information Matrix... http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/star-trek-online/detail/3026713#Max%20Free%20Bank%20Inventory%20Gold

When your 'Gold' status ends, with the exception of the EC Cap and the extra Character slot, you keep all of your 'Gold' gains, but any further increases goes by the 'Silver' status schedule... (in other words, tough luck for any new character made after the Gold Status ends...)
    midntwolf wrote: »
    Also what is it again you retain from your time as a Gold Subscriber?

The extra inventory slots.
    The extra bank slots.
    The Account bank slots.
    The extra BoFF slots.
    The extra Character slot.
    The extra ship slots.

You keep all this right? Am I missing something?

Anyway, I am trying to figure out how I need to transition back to sliver.

Now that extra Character slot... As long as that Character slot remains 'occupied' you keep it, but as long as you stay 'Silver' you still owe Cryptic a empty character slot. And the moment one appears, (e.g. from deleting a character, a C-Store purchase, or future game expansion...) guess what happens to it....
  • Options
    f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    if you're planning on spending $15 a month on zen anyway, I would just keep your subscription going. You still get $5 in zen every month in stipend, and you don't lose any of the features you already have.
  • Options
    bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Unlike SWTOR you don't "lose" your EC when your sub ends, you just can't earn any more beyond what you have.

You now have days listed against the vet reward system, so you can never become a silver player again, instead you are ex-gold and any new alts you make get access to some of the "perks" you had as a gold, 10 Boff slots instead of 6, and iirc 8 ship slots instead of 5.
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This is very odd, because from my experience as a former subscriber you don't lose the ec limit increase. You don't lose any ec either.

EDIT

I remember why now. Before I subbed, I bought the ec cap increase from the c-store. My bad!
    I need a beer.

• Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited April 2014

30 inventory, 60 bank, 2 ship, 4 boff slots for each max-level character, plus a 20-slot account bank.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    dahminus wrote: »
    Unless something has changed the amount above 10mil becomes your cap and every time you go lower, that becomes your new cap. Up until the 10 mil mark.

You can never gain, but you can spend/lose.

Yeah I am going to buy the EC Limit Cap. Currently thought with the sub active, it lists the EC Limit Cap as being purchased so I can't apparently buy it until the sub ends. Therefore their will be a brief time between my Sub ending and being able to buy the Cap increase. Obviously I don't want to lose 70 million EC during the brief period.

if you're planning on spending $15 a month on zen anyway, I would just keep your subscription going. You still get $5 in zen every month in stipend, and you don't lose any of the features you already have.

Here is the thing. I realized the sub doesn't give me much for the investment, especially since you keep most of everything earned from just subbing one month.

Only thing I really lose is the EC cap (500 zen one-time investment). I don't even lose the character as long as I don't delete the character and even if I wanted more characters I think two additional slots are only 600 zen. Now I know I get 500 zen as part of my sub but without the sub and still spending $15 a month, I will have an extra 1000 zen per month to reinvest into the game so within just one month, I make up for the zen cap and character lost. After that I will have an additional 1000 zen per month over the 500 zen Stipend to convert to dil, buy lock box key to use or convert to EC, buy C-store ships and services, etc.

Honestly this seems a better investment of money than giving them $15 a month for 500 zen and an EC cap.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    30 inventory, 60 bank, 2 ship, 4 boff slots for each max-level character, plus a 20-slot account bank.

Thanks.

I wanted to increase the number of inventory / bank slots on my toons Fed, KDF and eventually Romulan. I figured it would cost less to simply pay for a one month sub than it would be to purchase the individual increases for each toon. It seems to fully benefit from the one month sub, I would need to max out the Rom toon so I guess I will start a Rom toon soon and wait to sub.

Regarding the Account Shared Bank... I still keep that as an ex-Gold member?

I already purchased the EC Cap Remover.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Not sure if I wanna become a "full time" gold member yet.

If I actually wanna sub, then I would probably go LTS since it is a simple onetime payment and as long as I play consistently for over 20 months, then I save money in the long run. Of course $300 is a bit difficult to swallow. A discount on LTS would make my decision easier...

... if I missed a recent discount then...

D'oh!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I wanted to increase the number of inventory / bank slots on my toons Fed, KDF and eventually Romulan. I figured it would cost less to simply pay for a one month sub than it would be to purchase the individual increases for each toon. It seems to fully benefit from the one month sub, I would need to max out the Rom toon so I guess I will start a Rom toon soon and wait to sub.

Regarding the Account Shared Bank... I still keep that as an ex-Gold member?....

The Shared Account Bank is a perk for 'Gold' and former 'Gold' subscribers, so you do keep it...

Also keep in mind that purchased 'slots' from the C-Store comes from a different pool, then the 'slots' gained from 'Gold' status. So to acquire the ultimate maximum amount of 'slots' requires both the C-Store purchase and the 'Gold' status subscription...
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Also keep in mind that purchased 'slots' from the C-Store comes from a different pool, then the 'slots' gained from 'Gold' status. So to acquire the ultimate maximum amount of 'slots' requires both the C-Store purchase and the 'Gold' status subscription...

Thx.

I already knew that. I believe I can purchase additional slots 5 times. I was originally looking to just increase my bank slot and inventory slots by 12 per toon, but I think it is simply cheaper to pay the one sub for max "free" slots.
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    As I've mentioned before:

1) Go Gold.
    2) Level up anyone you want to level to max level.
    3) Drop your sub.
    4) Buy 500 Zen EC increase.
    5) Never spend a dime again (unless you want to buy something on the C-Store).

Basically you get little to no perks holding onto your subscription once you've hit max level as you get to keep EVERYTHING (short of the EC cap, which you can buy on the account level) you gained while you leveled up.

It's a very...weird way they have STO set up. But that's the way Cryptic went.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Another thing I usually mention in threads like these:

If you can get your hands on an unused retail copy of the game (they're still dirt-cheap, ~1 Euro/2-3$ on places like amazon and ebay), you can use that key to redeem 30 days of gametime/gold-membership.

So if you can't afford the normal membership or don't have access to the limited payment options offered by pwe, that's another way to go.
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    just keep in mind if you go back to gold the extra slots for ships and boffs you get while you get to keep them, you will "owe" cryptic those slots. So if you go to purchase extra ship slots the first ones you purchase will be eaten up just like the character slots. Same as with BOFF. At least this is what happened to me.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Not sure if I wanna become a "full time" gold member yet.

D'oh!!!

What do yo mean with "yet"?? if yo dont do it now, next year will be too late .. lol.
  • Options
    darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    bejaymac wrote: »
    Unlike SWTOR you don't "lose" your EC when your sub ends, you just can't earn any more beyond what you have.

You now have days listed against the vet reward system, so you can never become a silver player again, instead you are ex-gold and any new alts you make get access to some of the "perks" you had as a gold, 10 Boff slots instead of 6, and iirc 8 ship slots instead of 5.

You don't lose it in SWTOR either. But you lose access to it. The escrow account is untouchable and unlike here and a few other games it just stays in the escrow until you sub again. Here I think it feeds your credits to be at the 10 million limit out of the escrow automatically. There you are limited to 350,000 if preferred and if you spend say 50,000 then you are down to 300,000 while the escrow just sits there.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    AFAIK, in STO, if you're a non-subscriber and you don't have the EC expansion, any EC you earn past 10 million gets voided.

As in, if you have 15 million EC, and you sell a Master Key for 2.5 million, that 2.5 million just goes poof and vanishes for good.

If you have more than 10 million EC and you go non-subscriber, then any money you spend will properly go out of your correct balance. But you can absolutely not gain any EC because it disappears.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    somebob wrote: »
    AFAIK, in STO, if you're a non-subscriber and you don't have the EC expansion, any EC you earn past 10 million gets voided.

As in, if you have 15 million EC, and you sell a Master Key for 2.5 million, that 2.5 million just goes poof and vanishes for good.

If you have more than 10 million EC and you go non-subscriber, then any money you spend will properly go out of your correct balance. But you can absolutely not gain any EC because it disappears.

Yes this is what happens, you cannot gain more ec than the 10 million, You can spend it but you can no longer earn it.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Yes this is what happens, you cannot gain more ec than the 10 million, You can spend it but you can no longer earn it.

As long as I don't lose it, that is ok because I am going to immediately by the EC expansion as soon as the subscription ends which if I am understanding correctly, should give me full access to everything I had plus allow me to start earning again correct?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    midntwolf wrote: »
    As long as I don't lose it, that is ok because I am going to immediately by the EC expansion as soon as the subscription ends which if I am understanding correctly, should give me full access to everything I had plus allow me to start earning again correct?

When you do purchase that EC Cap increase from the C-Store, if your EC balance is above 10 Million EC, do not claim any of your Doff Assignments, or post on the Exchange until you do. (as any ECs gained will be lost until the EC Cap increase takes effect) And after purchasing it, IMMEDIATELY LOG OUT, as the Cap Increase won't take effect until your next log-in...
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    When you do purchase that EC Cap increase from the C-Store, if your EC balance is above 10 Million EC, do not claim any of your Doff Assignments, or post on the Exchange until you do. (as any ECs gained will be lost until the EC Cap increase takes effect) And after purchasing it, IMMEDIATELY LOG OUT, as the Cap Increase won't take effect until your next log-in...

Thanks alot for this advice. Really good to know this sort of stuff.