test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Questions about ground pvp

deokkentdeokkent Member Posts: 5,439 Arc User
edited August 2014 in PvP Gameplay
Hi there. I have a few questions for ground pvpers.

Does autofire work in ground maps? Or is manual firing best? I usually stick to secondary fire modes (expose first then exploit). Is that a bad idea? Sometimes it does look like I'm not shooting, even though I have toggle never cancel selected in controls.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=113118
Is there a similarly compiled list (see above) for ground? It really doesn't need to be as detailed. I'm not sure I understand the debuffs/cleansers mechanic for ground. What are the ground version of tac team/eng team and science team?

Are there any other species that are viable for ground, other than cats. I've noticed a lot of placating going on down there, I wonder if it's better to invest in other species with perception bonuses?

Lastly, the dyson shield. Is that thing OP or what. I've yet managed to kill someone reliably equipped with this. I realize you can shoot the target for a little while and put the proc on cool down, so you can dps spike them but geez that's assuming the other person isn't an idiot and wont retaliate. I guess this is where serious teamwork comes in, right?

I have a few questions but I think they will have to come later.
0)o Slayage mode o(0
anime-anime-gif-Gintama-Sakata-Gintoki-2211455.gif
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• buccaneerdtbbuccaneerdtb Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Your question is for someone like Iceman, I am more like Maverick, sorry.
  • mynameisnommynameisnom Member Posts: 639 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    deokkent wrote: »

Does autofire work in ground maps? Or is manual firing best? I usually stick to secondary fire modes (expose first then exploit). Is that a bad idea? Sometimes it does look like I'm not shooting, even though I have toggle never cancel selected in controls.

Is there a similarly compiled list (see above) for ground? It really doesn't need to be as detailed. I'm not sure I understand the debuffs/cleansers mechanic for ground. What are the ground version of tac team/eng team and science team?

Are there any other species that are viable for ground, other than cats. I've noticed a lot of placating going on down there, I wonder if it's better to invest in other species with perception bonuses?

Lastly, the dyson shield. Is that thing OP or what. I've yet managed to kill someone reliably equipped with this. I realize you can shoot the target for a little while and put the proc on cool down, so you can dps spike them but geez that's assuming the other person isn't an idiot and wont retaliate. I guess this is where serious teamwork comes in, right?

Do t use autofire. Just don't lol.
    [SIGPIC]http://s286.photobucket.com/user/parasite_12000/media/jub_zps9318ae82.jpg.html[/SIGPIC]
    stoutes wrote: »
    Those fish are much like their masters, filthy backstabbers... All battlecloaked fish, waiting for the right moment...
    The boss being a gigantic Winter Epohh Researcher. As you lay waste to the Epohh Horde, she can occasionally cry out things like, "Didn't you want an Epohh friend?"
  • buccaneerdtbbuccaneerdtb Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Actually, I know a few pros who use autofire on ground.
    edited April 2014

Huh I can actually post again. Yay. Honestly, it doesn't matter too much what gear you have, moreso how good you are and knowing when and how to use your stuff. I consider myself to be pretty good in ground pvp, and I'm using Maco shield for expose, and Maco armor and snipe for some awesome resists, great snipe, and the 2pc shield heal which is bawse. For close range I carry a crtdx3 destabilize tetryon pulsewave, and although it may not have a good proc man is it awesome looking. So basically, no, dyson set or a Maco set or anything else is not an I win button kinda set. If you need convincing I can make a video. But yeah if you have an more direct questions about griund, ask away I will keep subscribed :)
    [SIGPIC]http://s286.photobucket.com/user/parasite_12000/media/jub_zps9318ae82.jpg.html[/SIGPIC]
    Those fish are much like their masters, filthy backstabbers... All battlecloaked fish, waiting for the right moment...
    The boss being a gigantic Winter Epohh Researcher. As you lay waste to the Epohh Horde, she can occasionally cry out things like, "Didn't you want an Epohh friend?"
    edited April 2014

For tacs, cleansing is mostly done with rally cry? I believe, or is it overwatch.. well one of those (or both) cleanse debuffs for tacticals. For engis, there's not much there's quick fox but that only removes eng debuffs like fuse armor or weapons. But as it has a greater cooldown than both of those engi powers... eh. Scis have the most stuff to buff/debuff but I haven't really dabbled there. Also the new undine trait 6th sense removes expose and flank effects for 10 secs with a 1 minute cooldown. Strike team (ta tidal ground version of tac fleet) has a multi - profession trait that can be added that stops you from being flanked while it's active.
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Autofire works strangely in ground.

Once your attack has the green border, you have to press it once to autofire, then press it again to stop. Sometimes it's hard to tell if you're autofiring or not because the blinking border (autofire ongoing) is hard to notice. Also, autofiring both primary and secondary shots doesn't work: primary will always take precedence and secondary will never shoot unless primary autofire is off.

I'd recommend it for PvE though, if you have something like a compression pistol. Save you from smashing the key for some fast and easy pew pew action.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Autofire is terrible in Ground PvP and I never use it. Firing a weapon in Ground PvP is no more important than activating abilities. Unlike Space PvP, you can't have more than one ability in activation at one time. Many people blame the inability to activate things like Hypos on UI lag, but in truth they are experiencing activation timing. The presence of this timing is great; as it makes it impossible to play Ground PvP effectively with fully automated scripts.
    Anything you will find out there will be out of date because Cryptic just revamped the kit system and changed the way some cleanses work.
    All Species are viable for Ground PvP, but some species do things better than others. For example, Bajoroans have more health healing than any other race in the game.
    The Dyson Shield is very effective in a 1v1 situation...especially if said player is also using two piece MACO. Such players are considered to be shield tanks, but they aren't beyond elimination. The best way to burn through the Dyson Shield proc is with a compression pistol or spike from a weapon such as a pulsewave or sniper rifle. Personally, I am extremely fond of Romulan Plasma and Phased Tetryon based weapons, but I will also occasionally use Fleet Antiproton or standard Plasma.
    Fair enough, I'm happy to help.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
    edited April 2014
    For tacs, cleansing is mostly done with rally cry? I believe, or is it overwatch.. well one of those (or both) cleanse debuffs for tacticals. For engis, there's not much there's quick fox but that only removes eng debuffs like fuse armor or weapons. But as it has a greater cooldown than both of those engi powers... eh. Scis have the most stuff to buff/debuff but I haven't really dabbled there. Also the new undine trait 6th sense removes expose and flank effects for 10 secs with a 1 minute cooldown. Strike team (ta tidal ground version of tac fleet) has a multi - profession trait that can be added that stops you from being flanked while it's active.

Battle Strategies, Overwatch (only with duty officer), Quick Fix, Equipment Diagnostics, Biofilter Sweep, Hypospray Dylovene, Hypospray Melorazine, Vascular Regenerator, and Nanite Health Monitor are all cleanses within the game. That said, what clears what has been significantly altered with Season 9 and I haven't had a chance to go over everything in detail as of yet.
    edited April 2014
    So I won't get laughed at if I go for something else other than a cat?

I've been Ground PvPing for two years now and I have never even created a cat. Caitians were popular because they could use and abuse some rather nasty bugs. There is still one bug associated with them (we call it jump flanking), but they are no better than any other race outside of that "advantage". There are main good races and you do not need to be a caitian to be viable.

For anyone that does not know, Jump flanking is when a cat leaps back and forth over a non-cat's head to get flanking hits. Additionally, the bug will always trigger the rapid camera shake UI bug in the target if the target is in aim mode. The only hard counter to jump flanking is forcing the caitian to fight in areas with low ceilings (such as the ramp in the engine room on the Assimilated Cruiser map).
  • simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I've been Ground PvPing for two years now and I have never even created a cat. Caitians were popular because they could use and abuse some rather nasty bugs. There is still one bug associated with them (we call it jump flanking), but they are no better than any other race outside of that "advantage". There are main good races and you do not need to be a caitian to be viable.

For anyone that does not know, Jump flanking is when a cat leaps back and forth over a non-cat's head to get flanking hits. Additionally, the bug will always trigger the rapid camera shake UI bug in the target if the target is in aim mode. The only hard counter to jump flanking is forcing the caitian to fight in areas with low ceilings (such as the ramp in the engine room on the Assimilated Cruiser map).

Jump flanking can be nullified by using correctly used UI. I turn on always face target. Usually when a Caitian is trying to jump flank it is to get a flank for a pulse wave shot. It does not work on all circumstances but it helps.
    320x240.jpg
    edited April 2014
    You shouldn't be manually aiming in the first place. Lol as long as you keep out of that mode, you will turn with your target at all times. Also, if a cat has a pulsewave... use a sword or get the he'll away and snipe him to death lol.
    edited April 2014
    simeion1 wrote: »
    Jump flanking can be nullified by using correctly used UI. I turn on always face target. Usually when a Caitian is trying to jump flank it is to get a flank for a pulse wave shot. It does not work on all circumstances but it helps.

It doesn't matter if you have it set to "always face target". The top of your head is considered a flankable area unless you are capable of slotting the Limited Telepathy trait.
    You shouldn't be manually aiming in the first place. Lol as long as you keep out of that mode, you will turn with your target at all times. Also, if a cat has a pulsewave... use a sword or get the he'll away and snipe him to death lol.

Bringing a Sword to a pulsewave fight is...not such a good idea.
    edited May 2014
    Remember that you can have at most 5 doffs (6 with Fleet Bonus), so you have to choose and plan carefully. In other words, not all of your kit abilities will have doff bonuses available because of this limitation. Also, some doffs stack up to three times, while some can only be slotted once. That information is not clear in the game until you try to slot them.

That said, it's kinda difficult to have doff bonuses for more than two of your kit powers.

DOFF slotting is an opportunity to choose your playstyle. They're usually related to offense/defense/utility and you can use that to either enhance your offense/defense or go the other way around and balance things out.

Engineers are quite balanced already in regards of offense/defense. You can make your shield hardening better with Shield Recharge doffs (chance provide perfect shields for a few seconds), or enhance your ranged energy damage output (Diagnostic Engineers), which includes Orbital Strike. Despite being gimmicks with their "chance" flags, they become slightly more reliable when stacked.
    doffs I consider must haves: (..) quartermaster (resist variant with cover shield)

That one is not good because of Diminishing Returns in damage resistance. The resistance gain in practice will be very little.
    STO Screenshot Archive

• loverofwarsloverofwars Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Could this be a viable build? This is a very confusing time for me so I don't really know. I'm trying to set up a team based build. Please don't hesitate to offer any advice. Thanks.

dont worry about viable builds, you need to know the battle changes, different situations require different gear and tactics, carry everything, if they have something you dont and it would have helped you out by having it...you can quickly turn a match around from a total face roll to holding and attacking back, simply with 1 person changing gear/tactics, but you cant counter everything, but you can give it a good try.

i'll suggest empathy feedback a engineering kit module from undine lockbox/exchange using ec reflects 55% of damage back to attacker/attackers for 10 sec?, i've came against this from a few engineers nuking your self with a 100% shield bypass psonic hit for 2000 dmg, its effective to say the least, suggest using it v a bunch of cloakers, or in open fire v heavy suppression fire send it back to them you'll manage to kill a few if they don't stop shooting, and gain some much needed time to push forward, or relief for awhile from a focused sustained attack.

team based build well,,,,,,,,,,if you dont have a team...your build can quickly fall apart, so dont build around a team build have one yes, but also have a solo build, make it so all you need to do is swap some armors, weapons, shields, kits/kit modules, if you ground pvp pug enough you'll quickly come to notice, you cannot rely on others each and every match you walk into can have team members with 75+ injurys(yes thats really happened lol) so be ready to have to fight the entire match on your own if you must, you can still win.

species...use whatever you like..in terms of fire power and healing non cats can do alot lot more.
    edited May 2014
    i'll suggest empathy feedback a engineering kit module from undine lockbox/exchange using ec reflects 55% of damage back to attacker/attackers for 10 sec?, i've came against this from a few engineers nuking your self with a 100% shield bypass psonic hit for 2000 dmg, its effective to say the least, suggest using it v a bunch of cloakers, or in open fire v heavy suppression fire send it back to them you'll manage to kill a few if they don't stop shooting, and gain some much needed time to push forward, or relief for awhile from a focused sustained attack.

Fortunately Psionic Empathy Feedback cannot reflect Cold damage from the Cryo Pulsewave, Elite Cryo Autorifle, or the CRM 200.
    edited May 2014
    Wow, I didn't even know such an item existed in game. It sounds a bit imbalanced.

The Engineer's feedback pulse ability is a bit of a gimmick. It has a 10 second duration and a 60 second cooldown. Additionally, the ability can only reflect energy/psionic attacks back to the user. Kinetic (grenades/mines), physical (lunge/swords), and environmental (ice weapons/Exothermic Induction Field) cannot be reflected back to the user. It is extremely easy for a player to just fall back and switch to a setup that is entirely immune to reflection. That or a player can just wait out the buff. Personally, I've only killed myself once from the ability's reflect (1.5k compression pistol expose crit shot reflected). Of course the engineer that I shot with that attack also died so not a total loss.
    edited June 2014
    I'm also having difficulty surviving lunge spikes but I blame that on my own noobness more than anything else.

It's not your fault at all. It's quite easy for Lunge to one-hit-kill anyone in the current state of the game.
    STO Screenshot Archive

• capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    There certainly is room for support roles in ground PvP; problem is, it's probably the most difficult role to play. As you say, the spike damage can be really nasty; so you need reflexes, situational awareness, and a good understanding of how quickly your abilities can be applied (some of the animations really slow you down).

Of course, you also need to be able to keep yourself alive while you are at it, since you can't help anyone while you're dead. Good news there is, unlike in space PvP, hardly anyone ever thinks to gang up on the healer since they are so uncommon.
  • wdocwdoc Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Ground pvp in its current state is tacs online. The rally cry is stacking, crit and crit sev. is thru the roof. Since lunge has shield pen that is were the spike damage is from. The custom kits ended decent ground play.

There are also way too much poltics involved....people logging out, racists comments, afking, griefing. The list can keep going.
    Doc of Hammer
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If only I can manage to keep my shields strong and resists incoming damage, if only for a little while I would be happy. Right now it seems I only have the power to repair someone's shields after they're damaged, but that's not enough for me. People get spiked and one shot like there is no tomorrow. Eh, hopefully I figure this out eventually.

Right now I think I'm going to drop my transphasic bomb and replace it with a shield generator or anything that keeps the shields up for me and my friends. I thought I could use the transphasic bomb as a zone denial, but consider my surprise when I find out people can see it and shoot it down lol XD.

Yeah, the bomb is only useful as a trap. You have to hide it and lure people in. The pay off is pretty good if you can do it though.
  • nulonunulonu Member Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If only I can manage to keep my shields strong and resists incoming damage, if only for a little while I would be happy. Right now it seems I only have the power to repair someone's shields after they're damaged, but that's not enough for me. People get spiked and one shot like there is no tomorrow. Eh, hopefully I figure this out eventually.

Right now I think I'm going to drop my transphasic bomb and replace it with a shield generator or anything that keeps the shields up for me and my friends. I thought I could use the transphasic bomb as a zone denial, but consider my surprise when I find out people can see it and shoot it down lol XD.

Not really a lot of casted shield healing abilities and with most running elachis for the 100% shield bypass proc, shield tanking ain't what it used to be! What's interesting is that medical vanguard being castable from a sci makes them better shield tankers and team shield healers then an eng can be. An eng still has the most self shield healing options but, if you are trying to make a good team support build you may want to think about a medic sci. A shield recharge casting eng cannot refill a depleted shield to full, but a properly built medic sci can over heal the targets hp pool very easily and give damage resistance AND give perfect shields thanks to medical vanguard.
  • tfomegatfomega Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    they have ground pvp in this game?

I AM NOT A FAN OF PWE!!!!
    MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2010
  • falklander1989falklander1989 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    tfomega wrote: »
    they have ground pvp in this game?

Yep,when you get bored camping newbies in kerrat you should get your hobo friends and come to ground.:)
  • spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    nulonu wrote: »
    Not really a lot of casted shield healing abilities and with most running elachis for the 100% shield bypass proc, shield tanking ain't what it used to be! What's interesting is that medical vanguard being castable from a sci makes them better shield tankers and team shield healers then an eng can be. An eng still has the most self shield healing options but, if you are trying to make a good team support build you may want to think about a medic sci. A shield recharge casting eng cannot refill a depleted shield to full, but a properly built medic sci can over heal the targets hp pool very easily and give damage resistance AND give perfect shields thanks to medical vanguard.

I confirm… i dont do ground pvp, only pve and even just for farming… to save ec, after creating an attack sci out of a reman, spending ec on it, i left my trill with the old medic kit . Imagine my surprise when he could keep shields up ( and heal himself of course) better than my engie ( who doesnt use generators though) . I had to buy a regeneration tissue trait for my engie to make him durable ( well, i dont play very cautiously i admit xD) and i found it at 2 millions. last time i checked, yesterday, they went up to 17 millions … nice trait though. I dont use it on my medic sci because its money wasted in pvE but i can just imagine what a medic powers + regerenrrative tissue trait combo would do?
    P58WJe7.jpg

edited June 2014
    ... and if you want to go melee and use lunge, you might want the biotech siphon, also called the ground valdore… with the difference that yhis valdore has not been nerfed … . yet :P
    P58WJe7.jpg

edited June 2014
    as for the engie, i am recently repping up an engie ferengi, still in pve, and to be canon, i gave him the ferengi whip : i started to second-fire the whip on an enemy, he gets immobilized by the shock and in those few secs, i run up to him and i place mines : the bomb is a little too slower for me ( activation + explosion) and even npcs may get away… unless they are defera borg lol.
    Since mines are op, might be an idea? and it seems that whip can hit kind of far
    P58WJe7.jpg

• tfomegatfomega Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yep,when you get bored camping newbies in kerrat you should get your hobo friends and come to ground.:)

No thanks.. I have been playing star trek space based PVP since 2001 and I do not grow tired of it :) I can't believe you just called all those feds noobs :P

I AM NOT A FAN OF PWE!!!!
    MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2010
  • nulonunulonu Member Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    That's probably a good idea and I do have a science toon but I don't think it's ready yet to do ground stuff. Shall wait and see.

I'll keep practicing with my new engie, I actually just finished gearing it up with all the niceties (probably a waste but who knows). I'm trying to get a sense of the usual ground tactics, see what works or doesn't. Then I will consider moving on to greener pasture (science or maybe tac). But I still need to figure out how things work.

I'm a little distraught that you think the egul chan is useless. They didn't come cheap :'(.

Not useless, but it's a chance based proc to do what medical vanguard always does every time a medic sci sneezes!

Don't get discouraged, engineers got hit this season but these things are cyclical. This seasons changes favored tacs overall IMO. Next one might favor engineers again or scis. ;)
    edited June 2014
    tfomega wrote: »
    No thanks.. I have been playing star trek space based PVP since 2001 and I do not grow tired of it :) I can't believe you just called all those feds noobs :P

80 percent of feds who come in kerrat are pve farmers,10 percent are just pve heroes with their a2b faw ships who thinks they are good and start talking TRIBBLE when someone kill them and only small number of feds are actual pvpers who wander there sometimes when queues are dead.So yeah thats what klinks do there most of the time,shooting sitting ducks.And i used to play with my klink bop toon there a lot but got bored,i guess not my idea of fun shootin faw tards and camping when certain fleet come there with numbers.
    edited June 2014
    TRIBBLE, some people kill so fast on ground it's hard to keep track the combos or tricks that were used to kill someone.

But yeah, now the arcwave something something gun, I gotta watch out for that.

Tacs with lunge or arcwave setting from shotgun or combo of those 2 and sci with their sci TRIBBLE and usually with compression pistol.