test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Surface Tension End Date / What's the Special Reward?

lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
I haven't actually played the new Surface Tension mission yet (I've been busy in RL so have had limited STO play time, and what time I have spent in-game I've been savoring/taking my time just enjoying the new ESD and playing around with the new Tailor options, mostly), but someone pointed out to me it has an End Date.

So before I logged off last night I looked in my Journal and there it was (I think it was May 1st)!

If it's like past FEs that only means that while the mission will remain, some special reward will cease to be offered.

So my question is: Which reward(s) currently offered for Surface Tension is(are) the "Event Only" one(s) that I have grind out before time runs out?

(Note: I found this Surface Tension blog entry, but it doesn't mention either an End Date nor any Limited Time/Offer rewards. :confused:)

Edit: Thanks to Thutmosis85, I found my answer:
Before May 1st any level toon can run the mission, after May 1st, only L50 toons. The rewards will remain "Forever and always."

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So my question is: Which reward(s) currently offered for Surface Tension is(are) the "Event Only" one(s) that I have grind out before time runs out?

None ... after May 1 it's just Level 50 only ...

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1083671&page=3
    Forever and always.
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Is there really a reason to do it before 50 though? It seems by the tooltip that the rewards have a level 50 requirement no matter what level you do it at.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • Options
    robthe13robthe13 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    lol any one tell me if game is still off line my launcher is all black no load any one ??
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Is there really a reason to do it before 50 though? It seems by the tooltip that the rewards have a level 50 requirement no matter what level you do it at.
    traits? I forgot to look to see what their requirement was.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    traits? I forgot to look to see what their requirement was.
    There are no requirements for them, actually.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Anybody else think it's really sad that the OP felt the need to have the word "grind" in that query?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    adorenkoadorenko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I would do it if you have an engineer tank for the trait, not saying its the best trait but just in case so you have it. The console it offers seems kind of sh*tty, again a grab for just in case you have a toon using disrupters or phasers, both of which ugh I dont know. I would guess the kits will not go anywhere even after the end of FE is over but again just in case. Depending on how you play you will need to run it anywhere from 1-4 times per character. On my engineering tank I ran it twice and I'm done, got that space trait and kit, I don't care about ground stuff anyway. On my Tac KDF i might run it 3 times for console, trait and kit. All depends I'd like to see Cryptic add an LTD next to the limited items.
    Looking for more info on Dilithium Rising? Click on the link below:

[SIGPIC]Click here to visit my STO YouTube channel[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Well, if you use gravimetric photons and phasers or disruptors that console is awesome.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Speaking of cut off dates, is there any cut off date to trade in old style kits for new?
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Anybody else think it's really sad that the OP felt the need to have the word "grind" in that query?

Yes, it's really sad that Cryptic is so transparent about all their changes' purpose being to add more grind.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Yes, it's really sad that Cryptic is so transparent about all their changes' purpose being to add more grind.
    It's an MMO, what were you expecting? :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's an MMO, what were you expecting? :P

Other MMOs would at least have a greater point to their grind. A purpose for it.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    mimey2 wrote: »
    Other MMOs would at least have a greater point to their grind. A purpose for it.
    *points at Blizzard games*

You were saying? :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Thanks to Thutmosis85, I found my answer:
    Before May 1st any level toon can run the mission, after May 1st, only L50 toons. The rewards will remain "Forever and always."
    starswordc wrote: »
    Well, typically with a FE, there are "Limited Time Rewards", and if I want those LTRs on multiple/"all" of my toons, that means I have to re-play the same mission over and over and over and over and over again...

That to me is the very definition of a grind, especially when there's an "expiration date" involved and I have to run those replays during a small window of opportunity.

It wasn't so bad when they first started the FE LTRs, because then you just had to run each mission once per toon. But then with the ... 4400 Series, I think it was, they started making FEs that had multiple special rewards from each mission (granted not all of them were LTRs, but still, they were set pieces or similar), meaning you had to run each episode multiple times per toon to get everything, doubling or tripling the grind.

The sad part is that PW/Cryptic wants to keep us in game. But it's back-fired in my case and they got severe diminishing returns from me with those tactics...

At one point I had about 20 characters. I would spend lots of time, energy, and money having fun building/maintaining those characters. Buying ships, uniforms, DOff packs, and services like bank, DOff, and costume slots...

Then last year I got sick of the grind and "retired" most of them and got down to about a dozen. Earlier this year I cut a few more, and still got sick of replaying the same old stuff. I'm still undecided on how many characters I want to keep active, but I'm thinking it's going to be closer to 2-3... And those toons are pretty well stocked on anything. It's been a long time since I bought a new ship, for example.

I used to log in and look for something to do, just to keep playing. Now... Meh. Prior to S9 I hadn't logged in to play but once or twice in the last several months... I'll play S9 until I'm bored, then I'm done again. No more grind for me.

:rolleyes:

TL;DR: Yes, it's really sad.

:P

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well, if you use gravimetric photons and phasers or disruptors that console is awesome.

I luff it. :3
  • Options
    chuckwolfchuckwolf Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Having an end date on the Featured Episode leaves some of us out. There is a current issue with controllers that keeps those of us who can't use keyboard and mouse out of luck. Can't do much if you can't control your ship, or move on ground.
    @Powerblast in game
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014

What about regular photons? or the boost doesnt apply to photon torpedoes? :eek:
  • Options
    lucid5lucid5 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well, it is now the 3rd of May and my new Tactical Officer is only a Lieutenant Commander...it's listed in my available missions. Don't know if I should do it now, or later. I've been on hiatus for months...should I do it now? Because I'm not sure if it's really worth doing until I reach 50.