test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Undine Ships??

midntwolfmidntwolf Member Posts: 22 Arc User
Ok I am kind of shocked with the new ships, there seems to be exactly zero threads reviewing the new ships. On all the other games I have played, when something like a new ship comes out, usually the forums are lit up with threads within an hour and usually half a dozen youtube videos but in this game its like nothing new even came out.

Anyway I am curious to see what people who have them think. I know they are a bit rare but I had to have seen over a hundred unlocks for the new Undine ships last night.
Post edited by midntwolf on

Comments

• Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    midntwolf wrote: »
    Ok I am kind of shocked with the new ships, there seems to be exactly zero threads reviewing the new ships. On all the other games I have played, when something like a new ship comes out, usually the forums are lit up with threads within an hour and usually half a dozen youtube videos but in this game its like nothing new even came out.

Anyway I am curious to see what people who have them think. I know they are a bit rare but I had to have seen over a hundred unlocks for the new Undine ships last night.

The reason you're not seeing so many threads this time is that there are a significent proportion of people, myself included, who are trying our best to ignore the wretched things.

Because of their inclusion in the Undine box, I will never open a single one of them.

For some people this is a sin too far against the IP.

I appreciate not everyone feels that way, but especially given the example of the Adapted ships, this was an absolutely horrible and insulting move on cryptics part.

I kind of hope I never have to see another thread about them, or even the ships themselves, again.

I'm going to be disappointed, but thats how I feel.
  • Options
    kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    There is one of the Dromias here:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1090221

It just got buried under all the new threads. I haven't seen one on the Nicor yet.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    What Undine ships? They don't exist. And if they did, any poster who requested help for them would be considered an enemy combatant and reacted to with all due force.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I don't think it's beyond the realm of probability that Starfleet would capture enemy ships and study them. Everyone flying these ships are just performing R&D.

Also, it's fun.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I don't think it's beyond the realm of probability that Starfleet would capture enemy ships and study them. Everyone flying these ships are just performing R&D.

Also, it's fun.

But not IP....and in an IP driven game, this is a mistake.
  • Options
    shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Some people, who are entitled to their opinion, hate them and think they shouldn't be able to fly them.

They seem to be forgetting they don't have to fly them.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Then they would be staying at a shipyard or other research center, not flying their extremely valuable research material into combat where it can be damaged or destroyed.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Every technology needs to be field tested at some point, also I'm sure there are historical examples of militaries capturing enemy weapons and putting them to immediate use.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Every technology needs to be field tested at some point, also I'm sure there are historical examples of militaries capturing enemy weapons and putting them to immediate use.

The explanation I can accept for things like Galors, JHDC and the Adapted ships.

Because all of those ships, at their core, were just ships.

A different technology perhaps, unfamiliar solutions to familiar problems, but still ships.

According to canon, which Cryptic should not be ignoring, these Undine things aren't ships.

They're life forms.

The IP itself does not categorise these things as technology, but biology.
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,525 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    rinkster wrote: »

This is very little in STO that is even remotely canon. The more time that passes, the game gets further and further away from anything even Star Trek related. Whether undine, Jem'Hadar, Borg, or whatever. Being against one and not another seems a bit silly. The only enemy ship ever captured that I can think is the Jem'Hadar Attack Ship as shown in a DS9 episode. Eventually they will run out of ships to stuff in TRIBBLE boxes but I am personally still hoping for a T5 Romulan D7, T5 Connie, T5 Miranda, and a T5 Connie Dreadnaught at the very least.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    rinkster wrote: »

So, within the morals of the IP.

Starfleet never made / researched any form of cloaking or phased cloak because they have a treaty saying they won't? (see this)
    Starfleet does not have any sort of covert ops / black ops (see here)
    A space station commander would never violate another species sovereign territory and attempt to assassinate their leader (Starfleet sent a team to Klingon military headquarters on Ty'Gokor to expose Gowron. Eventually they discovered that Martok was, in fact, the Changeling, and Gowron's men killed it. (DS9: "Apocalypse Rising"))

And you struggle to believe Starfleet would try for tech from 8472 ? :confused:
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    So, within the morals of the IP.

Starfleet never made / researched any form of cloaking or phased cloak because they have a treaty saying they won't? (see this)
    Starfleet does not have any sort of covert ops / black ops (see here)
    A space station commander would never violate another species sovereign territory and attempt to assassinate their leader (Starfleet sent a team to Klingon military headquarters on Ty'Gokor to expose Gowron. Eventually they discovered that Martok was, in fact, the Changeling, and Gowron's men killed it. (DS9: "Apocalypse Rising"))

And you struggle to believe Starfleet would try for tech from 8472 ? :confused:

No.

Let me be very clear.

If, instead of the bioships, we'd been offered ships that were based on current designs but had been augmented with things learned from the bioships (in exactly the same way we got the adapted ships from the Tal Shiar and not borg spheres) I'd have been very happy.

However, a bioship is basically a lifeform.......and, given the Undines proven ability to control psionically from a distance, putting an admiral in one and sending them out armed with all the latest faction technology and knowing all those operational secrets is insanity.

The things you've described are orders of magnitude different to sending someone who knows the command codes for the Earth defence grid out in a bioship.
  • Options
    stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Some people, who are entitled to their opinion, hate them and think they shouldn't be able to fly them.

They seem to be forgetting they don't have to fly them.

Well some gossip queens say players are idiots for flying them.
    I'm an idiot and proud. :D
    ZomboDroid10122015042230.jpg

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
  • Options
    umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 748 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    In Babylon 5 parlance...

It sucks to have Vorlon and Shadow ships at our disposal... since those couldn't be crewed by a different species (passengers/prisoners not included).

But everyone would've liked getting a Whitestar.

Oddly enough, that's exactly what the Dyson Science Destroyers were: hybrid-tech. Didn't stop them from being crucified by the forum community.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    umaeko wrote: »
    Oddly enough, that's exactly what the Dyson Science Destroyers were: hybrid-tech. Didn't stop them from being crucified by the forum community.

They were crucified because they were considered mechanically bad and visually ugly. Again, not the same thing.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited April 2014
    umaeko wrote: »
    In Babylon 5 parlance...

It sucks to have Vorlon and Shadow ships at our disposal... since those couldn't be crewed by a different species (passengers/prisoners not included).

But everyone would've liked getting a Whitestar.

Hybrid tech is not the issue.

In fact, its precisely not the issue.

The bioships are not hybridised......and if they had, like the adapted ships were, then I'd have no objection.
  • Options
    mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Yes, maybe, if this was part of a Featured Episode or something. However, it's a freaking PERMANENT PLAYER SHIP, and one of the most powerful at that. So no.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited April 2014
    To most fans the undine are enemy lifeforms and goes againdt everythng trek to have a crew inside of one

Slavery ?..perhaps its a sentient lifeform

Not very Federationary is it

I also think a great many people want Canon ships not alien ships in lockboxs as the main prize
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    midntwolfmidntwolf Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yeah honestly alot of STO's ships requires a huge suspension of disbelief. I mean a Klingon would would not likely ever fly anything from a "lesser rare" yet they are flying Gorn, Orion, etc.

Same goes for any faction flying things like Tholian, Breen, etc ships. I mean there is no way they could keep up the logistics necessary to keep the ships operational since in alot of cases they couldn't even manufacture the tech required to preform basic maintenance.
  • Options
    deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member Posts: 265
    edited April 2014
    Love how "canon" whiners always jump on "Thats not X or Y in the show" So you dislike Bio ships being added but are fine with breen ships? Which are referred to as using bio ships in voyager...

Its just a game get over it :rolleyes:
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited April 2014
    The amount of ships being sold is the last word
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Love how "canon" whiners always jump on "Thats not X or Y in the show" So you dislike Bio ships being added but are fine with breen ships? Which are referred to as using bio ships in voyager...

Breen ships have organic components, just like Voyager herself used monocellular organisms in gel packs as part of her internal computer network. That's a far cry from the entire damn ship being a living organism.
    Its just a game get over it :rolleyes:
    No. And in fact, it's high time we as a playerbase put our collective feet down about this kind of stupidity.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jellico1 wrote: »
    To most fans the undine are enemy lifeforms and goes againdt everythng trek to have a crew inside of one

Slavery ?..perhaps its a sentient lifeform

Not very Federationary is it

I also think a great many people want Canon ships not alien ships in lockboxs as the main prize

Not to mention basically gutting them in order to put an entire crew complement and just how idiotic that premise is.
    I guess if someone removes my intestinals to put many smaller lifeforms in the hole left, while also extracting the blood from my body, I'll go on living merily and so will the small lifeforms inside my abdomen.
    Oh yeah, and if I stick a warp core in my.....ahem:rolleyes:.....I guess I could go Warp 9.9 :rolleyes:
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Yeah honestly alot of STO's ships requires a huge suspension of disbelief. I mean a Klingon would would not likely ever fly anything from a "lesser rare" yet they are flying Gorn, Orion, etc.

Same goes for any faction flying things like Tholian, Breen, etc ships. I mean there is no way they could keep up the logistics necessary to keep the ships operational since in alot of cases they couldn't even manufacture the tech required to preform basic maintenance.

Well, thing is the examples you give are still actual ships.

The tholian one is probably the least likely of them all, but they still fly mechanisms.

Undine bioships aren't just a new class of ships, they're not mechanisms.

An utterly different order of object.

And given their biological nature, and the proven Undine ability to control biological entities, their inclusion as pc controlled ships is ludicrous.
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yup. Nobody is talking about em cuz it was a really terrible decision from Cryptic to release em. But well, they do watever they want without listening to their customers, only with the hope the will sell enough undine lockboxes to fill their pockets.

And one thing, what is the best enemy of an undine ship?? the scimitar and the thalaron cannon.

Im guessing, with a single discharge of the thalaron cannon at any undine ship, that ship will be destroyed asap. But of course this will not happen in this game. All the logic is lost everywhere.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Im guessing, with a single discharge of the thalaron cannon at any undine ship, that ship will be destroyed asap. But of course this will not happen in this game. All the logic is lost everywhere.

I actually tried the Lleiset's thalaron gun on the dormant Undine ships during the 'Republic Day' event. Much to my suprise, the ships activated, ran out of the thalaron arc and started firing at my ship.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited April 2014

It's due to the fact that some of us are not happy about this. Certain ships should never have been allowed to be released for certain factions to fly. For example, the Dominion/Tholian Ships.

The reasons why I'm personally disappointed:

~ Yet another box only ship with RNG worse than GW2 craft bags. (those who play know what I mean)
    ~ No Intrepid trio available in store with special consoles.
    ~ No Intrepid anything even tho these two seasons were meant to be Voyager lore.
    ~ Another ship without an interior.
    ~ No update to the interiors at hand.
    ~ No updates to the Nebula near ESD.
    ~ Another mission to do three times to get better gear (Which I don't mind, because I think the F2P crowd deserves something because eventually even they spend a little in the store, but it's reached an appex one which Cryptic fealt we needed a nerf in traits to keep doing. Not good)
    ~ Once you've done the three starter reputations to max, why do you need anymore gear? (For example, I've got it all, my bank is over-run with everything and I've finally found the perfect multiship layout for my science ship, why would I need anything the next reputation offers? The Dyson set is perfect, all I need is for all of my science ships to have their second deflector now)
    ~ No secondary deflector array in the rest of the science ships.
    ~ Still waiting on the science space skill redux to get things balanced properly and to eliminate redundant skills and update certain skills to match (for example GW2-3 should provide a perception filter much like the five tiers of the singularity anomaly provides for Romulans because it is a concentrated gravity event)
    ~ Undine ships require telepathy to fly.
    ~ I believe the Interior of Undine ships would normally be filled with fluid since the Undine come from a fluid filled space and only removed that fluid long enough to board the borg ship when Voyager encountered it so I don't see how their life support systems would be compatible with humans.

Hope this helps you understand. Players get tired of the same type of thing, in WoW it was running heroics until you puked to get enough currency, in GW2 it was grinding out materials for hours to get enough to level crafting and then make ascended gear (when we'd already grinded for hours to get enough karma to get exotic the previous highest gear), and now this Cryptic team is doing this sort of thing all over again. The game needs fixes to alot of old stuff still there, sure they are attempting some minor things like the graphics controls ui, but there's alot that needs to be updated still.

I'm also disappointed because they nerfed the dilithium gathering something smaller guilds were having issues with in the first place. They spent time doing that instead of updating their ui or making sure we'd have enough trait slots for 5 reputation traits.
  • Options
    hrci2907hrci2907 Member Posts: 648 Media Corps
    edited April 2014

Here is my review of the Dromias Cruiser so you can check it out!

link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4gydxWVpZA

Nicor review should be in a couple of days.
    "This is your ultimate STO Youtube channel!"
    https://youtube.com/user/MyBalkanGaming
  • Options
    beaver#8175 beaver Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    if a tal shiar ship can be modified with borg technology, why couldn't an undine ship be modified with Romulan/Fed/Klink tech? Machine that mimics Undine psychic powers? Why not? Find a way to communicate with the ships, maybe they adapt to whatever lifeform flies them? It's a role playing game, you are supposed to use your imagination, or have you never played a roleplaying game? Written a bio for your character?