test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Power Gap on the Ground

rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
One of the explicitally stated aims of the changes to the reputation system was to reduce the gap between a newly minted level 50 toon and a season veteran.

There has been some debate over whether they meant this to address the current gap, or whether they are merely ensuring that the future gap will not carry on growing.

Assuming the former, I think most will agree that the changes have done little in this regard for space combat.

However, taken along with the kit revamp, I'd like to suggest that they may actually have achieved this on ground.

It seems to me that the aforementioned gap was always bigger on ground than in space.

The number of toons set up for ground is a fraction of those set up for space.

Thus, those who were geared and specced for ground combat were members of a smaller pool of players, relative to the average, and thus enjoyed a larger competitive advantage.

However, it seems to me that by requiring us to be more thoughtful with our ground traits, along with the much more flexible kit system, we may be looking at conditions where ground combat attracts and retains a growing group of fans.

However, you'll have noticed how many times I've used phrases like 'it seems to me' and 'assuming' in the previous words.

This is because, like my assumed majority, I've paid little attention to ground combat thus far.

So, I'd like to ask those who do spend more time ground pounding than me if you think my speculation has any basis in fact.

Are we looking at a more balanced ground game with this season?
Post edited by rinkster on

Comments

• azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I've been a ground oriented player all along, and I recently leveled some new toons from the ground up, and I would've argued exactly the opposite.

On the ground, my new toons felt workable right at level 50. In space, they felt useless. But then again, I am a ground oriented player. I know the ins and outs of ground strategy better than I do space. I know my ground powers much better. I know my ground enemies much better.

Maybe the gap just seems greater for whichever style of combat you're less proficient in.
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't play ground so 4 slots wasted for me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    azniadeet wrote: »
    I've been a ground oriented player all along, and I recently leveled some new toons from the ground up, and I would've argued exactly the opposite.

On the ground, my new toons felt workable right at level 50. In space, they felt useless. But then again, I am a ground oriented player. I know the ins and outs of ground strategy better than I do space. I know my ground powers much better. I know my ground enemies much better.

Maybe the gap just seems greater for whichever style of combat you're less proficient in.

I suppose my question to you is, do you think you are in a majority or a minority?

I appreciate that fully speccing into ground means that you are forgoing opportunities in space......and, of course, vice versa.

It seems to me that players like yourself, who have a firm grasp of ground mechanics, are a smaller group of players than your counterparts in space. By possibly a rather large margin.

I just wonder if these new changes will make the route to ground competence easier for players than what we had before....thus, at least a bit, narrowing the gap between them and players like yourself.
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I've never fully spec'd to ground or space. I think it's ridiculous to entirely limit yourself to one aspect of the game or the other, and frankly, that kind of spec'ing should've NEVER been allowed. Yes, I prefer ground combat, but I ultimately learned proficiency in both.

AFAIC, this game has been far too accomodating to players who want to ignore many aspects of the game. Splitting the STFs into ground and space versions is a prime example of that, a well rounded player should have to demonstrate the ability to play on both fields of combat.

The biggest problem is that there is a 'majority' of players who remain exclusively focused on space combat in the first place. They should be forced out of their little box. Those who play exclusively ground should be pushed into their ships as well. Both are integral parts of the game.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Keep in mind that the skill system does not allow players to solely spend points on space skills. It used to. But now it forces you to spend a modicum on ground no matter what. So no one is solely space or solely ground. I mean I guess you could spend 300k on space and then choose not to spend the rest of your points. But I've not met anyone who's done that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    There is no power gap. There is a knowledge gap however.

It's the driver not the toon that matters.

Put a newbie in charge of a toon in common gear and he/she will get their TRIBBLE handed to them and lunch money taken.
    Put a newbie in charge of a toon in rep gear and he/she will only get their handed to them keeping the lunch money.

Now on the other hand.

Put a veteran in charge of a toon in common gear and he/she will kick TRIBBLE and chew bubble gum.
    Put a veteran in charge of a toon in rep gear and he/she will kick TRIBBLE and run out of bubble gum.
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410