test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New trait system..

edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
edited April 2014 in The Academy
So, i am a bit confused, even after read almost eveything about the new trait system.

So, now we can enable or disable any personal trait we want every time?? :eek:

I thought once you fill all your personal traits, you cant change em..

I hope this is just a bug.. i cant imagine a soldier that can change his skills when he wants LOL.

And what about the special traits, the ones adquired in lock boxes?? where the hell are they supossed to be sloted??
Post edited by edgecrysger on

Comments

• atlmyklatlmykl Member Posts: 305 Arc User1
    edited April 2014
    Not a bug, was mentioned many times and has been heavily disscused. Lock box traits are slotted as any other trait just like before.
  • spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    atlmykl wrote: »
    Not a bug, was mentioned many times and has been heavily disscused. Lock box traits are slotted as any other trait just like before.
    True .... in fact, there is no " committ " or " respec " button... after all, say you wanted to get the inspirational leader from the exchange : it came with a respec token built - in ... guess what i was doing? Waiting until i get enough ec to buy that trait as i already did on another toon .... so, the traits respec old system had become a little pointless and now i guess it's also more flexible for guys into PvP
    P58WJe7.jpg

• edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Flexible?? i will say non sense.

One of the important things about building and leveling a character is that you need to carefully chose what traits you want. And that is the essence of a game like STO. If everybody can select / deselect any trait they want to "acomodate" any situation, its a bit stupid and of course really unreal.

I hoped that was just a bug, but im afraid is intended lol. "Good" job cryptic, as always.

Well, another dissapoinment, again.
    edited April 2014
    atlmykl wrote: »

Just like before? before i had a specific slot where i can put my lock boxes traits under the whole list of personal traits. And i was able to slot more than 1. Now, not only i dont see any slot to put em , the only thing i see is a "special" slot that is already filled with my romulan species trait and i cant even remove it.

So, where i should slot my lock boxes traits when i get one? in the ground or space section? (i dont think so), in the reputation section?, in the "active" reputation section?

Maybe i just asking a stupid question and i am still figuring out the new system, but i think i get it right..:confused:
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Flexible?? i will say non sense.

One of the important things about building and leveling a character is that you need to carefully chose what traits you want. And that is the essence of a game like STO. If everybody can select / deselect any trait they want to "acomodate" any situation, its a bit stupid and of course really unreal.

I hoped that was just a bug, but im afraid is intended lol. "Good" job cryptic, as always.

Well, another dissapoinment, again.

Except that was never a part of STO. Your choices were "Get all the space traits", "Get all the ground traits" or "Be mediocre in both".

We all chose the space traits.

Now maybe if there were dozens of different space traits that made you stronger in very niche ways instead of just giving a flat % increase to damage or turn or whatever it would be different. But it wasn't.
    edited April 2014
    Nah, still it makes no sense at all.

If i want to focus my toon on damage, i will carefully chose the traits that will help me with that. And thats the choice i make. That was the procedure that made the trait system a bit interesting and of course a part of an mmorpg. Now, i dont even know what it is.
  • umiharayuuumiharayuu Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Nah, still it makes no sense at all.

If i want to focus my toon on damage, i will carefully chose the traits that will help me with that. And thats the choice i make. That was the procedure that made the trait system a bit interesting and of course a part of an mmorpg. Now, i dont even know what it is.

Now you can only have 4 of the 8 space reputation traits active... pretty stupid.
    www.RIHANNSU.org
    Romulan Institute

D'Galan - Engineer
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Are we talking about the Reputation traits or the Captain traits? or both?
  • umiharayuuumiharayuu Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Are we talking about the Reputation traits or the Captain traits? or both?

All are like this now.
    www.RIHANNSU.org
    Romulan Institute

D'Galan - Engineer
  • ovinspaceovinspace Member Posts: 310
    edited April 2014
    I hate having to pay cash money to respec a game character just to experiment with a different playing style, I see this as a good move. Even with the option available I'd bet that few people bother re-doing their traits mid level or every time they move from ground to space.

People moan when they have more freedom and when they get less.
    edited April 2014
    A essential part of a mmorpg is to develop your character. To be able to choose what traits you want to use at any time, its the opposite. But well, i guess people will never understand, lol.
    edited April 2014
    This is largely a game of run up to shiny thing click it and then shoot the other stuff, end game is combat + foundry, really its more a case of 'how'd you like to fight today' instead of fighting the same way every day. Long term lvl 50 players have collections of ships and gear and using that has been made easier this year with loadouts, storage space and trait swapping.

If this were a character driven narrative rich game then Cryptic probably wouldn't be pushed in this direction.
  • xigbargxigbarg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Between the crit passives, crit consoles and crit weapon modifiers; is there a cap to critical hits?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014
    xigbarg wrote: »
    Between the crit passives, crit consoles and crit weapon modifiers; is there a cap to critical hits?

I hope so... lol.

Not to mention the free romulan operative trait i received on my romulan toons lol...... you wanted power creep?? , here you go, a free boost to your power creep lol.
    edited April 2014
    CritH can be seen to get very high with the dyson set and photon torps, they have +6CritH on the Gravimetric torp and set bonuses of +3CritH and +10CritH, as far as I know nothing else gets close to that. Without spire tac consoles you can get 50% critH runs on that torp. So if there is a limit it is has probably not been reached.

There will be a max achievable within a given time limit determined by gear, skills and the cool down on Alpha.
  • atlmyklatlmykl Member Posts: 305 Arc User1
    edited April 2014
    xigbarg wrote: »

It caps at 100%.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Is anyone else getting trait powers, even though they don't have that trait? My Ground powers include the Telekinetic push, but my guy doesn't have that equipped at all.
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Is anyone else getting trait powers, even though they don't have that trait? My Ground powers include the Telekinetic push, but my guy doesn't have that equipped at all.

I could be wrong, but it might be one of the species traits which doesn't occupy a slot, and which is always present. (You can see it by hovering over your species description in the trait window).

For example: Vulcans have "Mind Meld" and "Nerve Pinch" as traits which are exclusive to Vulcans and take up a character trait slot, but also get "Mental Discipline" and a 15% chance on a melee knockback, which are species-exclusive, always active and don't take up a slot.
    edited April 2014

Well, im getting the opposite, powers that i didnt have before lol. As a Reman, before the patch i should have the Mind force skill (cant remember the right name lol, but it was "mind" something) but i didnt have it. Now i have it. Its the first time i see it. lol.

So, now i think that before the patch, i never saw that skill in my skiill try (bug??), and now i can use it. I dont really care anymore if it was a bug or not, since it makes no sense anymore to be worried about this bug here this fail there.
  • red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014

I can't quite make out what you're saying here - is your guy SUPPOSED to have telekinesis, and doesn't have it? Or is your guy equipped with telekinesis, but is not supposed to be a telekinetic?

In the first case, there's a known bug that they're working on (it's in the release notes), you'll probably have it back soon as an option.

In the second case, just unslot it (uncheck the box on the right of the window that corresponds to telekinesis). If that fails, then wait until the telekinesis bug is fixed, then try. If THAT fails, contact tech support, or just go for this if you're impatient. All of my toons had some random trait powers thrown in. It's probably a mistake, but it's an irrelevant one since they can be changed easily now, anyway.