test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

make ship specific consoles fun

tinkerbelchtinkerbelch Member Posts: 138 Arc User
I was just thinking the ship specific consoles should be a lot more useful, but not even be a requirement for some actions.

I think many ship specific abilities should be on by default with long cooldown, and the consoles drastically reduce cool down as well as provide their current set bonuses.

Take for example the saucer seperation. Make it a 20 minute cooldown without the console, and one minute with the console.

I do not think it would disrupt balance to allow someone the have a saucer deployed many times during a mission, they are giving up a slot for this ability. And without the console at least be able to deploy once during the mission.

My two cents.
Post edited by tinkerbelch on

Comments

• Options
    mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The thing with Saucer Sep is that for many players, it's a fire-and-forget power. The main benefit is the vastly improved agility from separation, not the fragile, uncontrollable pet that has a few useful abilities. Give it to players for free, even at an increased cooldown, and it's fairly likely that they'd just drop the console altogether.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    If they die it would be in cooldown for 20 minutes without the console. maybe make the cooldown even longer?

Anyway, saucer separation was just an example. How about other ship specific abilites?
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I was just thinking the ship specific consoles should be a lot more useful, but not even be a requirement for some actions.

I think many ship specific abilities should be on by default with long cooldown, and the consoles drastically reduce cool down as well as provide their current set bonuses.

Take for example the saucer seperation. Make it a 20 minute cooldown without the console, and one minute with the console.

I do not think it would disrupt balance to allow someone the have a saucer deployed many times during a mission, they are giving up a slot for this ability. And without the console at least be able to deploy once during the mission.

My two cents.

NO.

The separation skill is probably the main attraction of those ships. A 20 minute cooldown will kill any interest a player will have for those ships.

If you put me a cooldown of 20 minutes in my Haakoona, i will tell you, i dont want that ship anymore. Because the separation is one of the mains atractions of the Haakona.

And still , all the separation procedures carries some little glitchs that are really annoying. Plus, you add a 20 minute cooldown... nobody will use those ships.

The problem is, if you start removing consoles, you will need to do that on every ship. And thats impossible.. cryptic could do it, but that is too much work and time for em.

So, no.. i dont think so lol.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    How about once a day activation? Talking without the console.

With the console would be the same cooldown or even qucker cooldown.
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think what the OP is saying is this:

Give every ship it's "console power" as an inbuilt feature instead of only accessible through the console. However, to balance said change and still make equipping the console useful / "mandatory", the non-consoled cooldown would be increased to epic/massive proportions - essentially making it the equivalent of an "once an day/mission" power instead of an "once an encounter" power most consoles are right now, and would remain if the console is actually equipped...

This is alright for "most" of the C-store stuff, but how do we handle the following situation(s):

1. Multi-console/ship "sets". Galaxy X comes with cloak console, but can slot AMS and Separation now. Vesta/Oddy/Bort/Scimmy 3 packs. Does the ship only get the "sold with" function, or does it get all the functions it can equip?

2. Set bonuses - does my Vesta still get the full 3 piece bonus if it only equips 2 consoles? I tend to fly the Science-y version, that originally comes with the AoE heal console. If I removed that console from my ship (using the once-every-20-minute version), do I still get the multiphasic shield option?

3. Would Lockbox/Lobi store ships be treated differently than C-store? While the Gal-X might not get AMS/Cloak/Lance/Separation, the Recluse only has it's pet buffer and web. Or Wells (temporal) set with slowdown and backstep. I wouldn't mind getting back a console slot on my Recluse with a once a mission web generator...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]