test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ship Power Transfer Rate Still Help with Power Recovery?

supergaminggeeksupergaminggeek Member Posts: 616 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Federation Discussion
I was told to run anything that improves Power Transfer because it would help with Weapon Power recovery and boost my damage. I also heard that the Power Transfer Rate used to function that way, but not anymore. Can anyone clarify this for me?
Post edited by supergaminggeek on

Comments

• Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I was told to run anything that improves Power Transfer because it would help with Weapon Power recovery and boost my damage. I also heard that the Power Transfer Rate used to function that way, but not anymore. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Who told you this?

If someone is telling you to get EPS consoles slotted in your engineering console slots, here's a post from 2010 that shows what they changed.

That's like 4 years old. So you should direct your friend to that post if they're still using EPS consoles in that way.

If you mean the captain ability that Engineers get, that's different.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Not quite. It is true, that weapon drain power mechanics no longer function in the same way as "fill your ship with EPS" of yore, BUT, it's not entirely GONE either.

Here's a brief summary of weapon drain and its interactions with overcapping:
    Let us say you have a ship with some beams on on it. You fire up all your power systems, overcapping it to 175 weapon power.

Your power levels are now (CURRENT/MAX): 125/175.

You fire a beam.

Your power level is now is now 115/165. At this point, since your power level is both less than your max, and less than the maximum of 125, your EPS systems will regenerate the power shortfall towards 125. The faster this happens (needs moar EPS!), the less damage you lose when you fire the next beam. With TRIBBLE EPS systems, no matter HOW much you overcap, your power levels will STILL tank when you fire your guns. EPS is what makes the entire thing pull together.

The entire thing is particularly relevant when you fire beams, due to the long, sustained power draws of beam firing. With cannons, you need such a massive amount of EPS to make a tiny amount of difference, that it can be viewed as largely ineffectual, because cannons have a very short power drain profile.

EPS will also bleed you alive when you're faced with hostile drains, for the same reason: EPS causes power to move towards the "maximum" values faster.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    EPS consoles though are not worth the investment. The skill in the skill tree and the engi captain ability are worth using. But the consoles? There's better ways to manage your power. Like Aux to Battery.

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Besides, snoggysmack22 uses his sig to suggest EPS Flow Regulator consoles are not worth using. Nevermind where the link actually goes :D
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    :)

It goes to the post I linked in my first comment. Which is just the old archived post of the Patch changes for weapons power from way back when.

I frequently come across folks in-game who took a long (say three year) break and still think EPS consoles do what they did back in the early days. So I just added that to my sig to make it easier for me to find that patch update post.

Things get lost so easily in these forums.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    And having not played in the early days, but use the Wiki *a lot*, I learned from your sig without burning forum space for anew thread. Nowadays I just burn space in responses ;)