test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Which federation starship has a cloaking device?

malesticmalestic Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2014 in The Academy
I know from DS9 the Defiant does but the Defiant-class ship you unlock at Captain doesn't have one :eek:
Post edited by malestic on

Comments

• Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The Defiant and i think a Galaxy X or something like that?

Honestly, besides the Defiant, i really dont have a clue. lol
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    malestic wrote: »
    I know from DS9 the Defiant does but the Defiant-class ship you unlock at Captain doesn't have one :eek:

I think you need to buy the version from the c-store. I remember ages ago in my very first character i had the defiant, i think i bought it with dilithium, and, no, it was not a cloaking device there lol.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You need the C-Store T5 upgrade to get the Cloak on the Defiant. The T4 Defiant is the version from the show before the Romulans gave it one of their Cloaking Devices.

The Galaxy X Dreadnought also comes with a Cloak. It, too, is a T5 C-Store ship.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    T5 Defiant Retrofit and Galaxy Dreadnought come with cloaking device consoles. Avenger can also use the console off those two ships, but doesn't come with it on its own.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    But think very well before you buy the c-store version. If you want only the console.. people says that the cloak of the Defiant is really useless.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    But think very well before you buy the c-store version. If you want only the console.. people says that the cloak of the Defiant is really useless.
    The Cloak on the Defiant is just as good as any other Fed Cloak. It is not as good as the Rom Battle-Cloaks but it still gives you your Alpha Strike ability.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,886 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    dont think anyone added the avenger. it can use a cloak, but does not come with the console, so you have to buy the Defiant-R or Gal-X and swipe the console from there
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    dont think anyone added the avenger. it can use a cloak, but does not come with the console, so you have to buy the Defiant-R or Gal-X and swipe the console from there

Already mentioned in reply #5 by reginamala78.
  • Options
    shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The Fed cloaks are the least useful in the game. It's a standard cloak like on a KDF battlecruiser or raptor, which means you can't recloak while in battle. It's also a console instead of an innate ship ability, which means you have to give up a precious console slot for it. Given the limited utility of a standard cloak (as opposed to battle cloak), and it taking up a console slot, most people don't bother to use it. There has been considerable player demand over the years to make it innate like it is on KDF ships, but so far the devs have shown no sign of budging on that.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    C-store versions of defiant, galaxy dreadnaught come with universal cloaking device that can be equipped on them, their fleet versions as well as the avenger and its fleet version.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Something to keep in mind if you're considering buying the Cloak Console for a Fleet Defiant, Fleet Galaxy-X, or Fleet Avenger...or even just the normal Avenger.

Defiant costs 2000 Zen.
    Gal-X costs 2500 Zen.

Same console - can be used on any of the 6 T5 boats that can use it.
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The Fed cloaks are the least useful in the game. It's a standard cloak like on a KDF battlecruiser or raptor, which means you can't recloak while in battle. It's also a console instead of an innate ship ability, which means you have to give up a precious console slot for it. Given the limited utility of a standard cloak (as opposed to battle cloak), and it taking up a console slot, most people don't bother to use it. There has been considerable player demand over the years to make it innate like it is on KDF ships, but so far the devs have shown no sign of budging on that.

The cloaking device was first created as a built in ability when the AGT galaxy and T5 Defiant first appeared ingame.
    The feds at that time did not like standard cloak and wanted it to be a console so they could remove it as they saw fit.
    The Devs made most Cstore ship abilities into consoles and gave those ships extra console space to use it.

Of course now the demands of feds have come full circle (as many predicted) and the continuos cry for built in cloaking has returned. Not just standard cloaking but now battle cloaking as many feds think Battle cloak is more powerful even when it is not.

You cant make this TRIBBLE up. You can only laugh at the insanity.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Gee, it's almost like people don't actually know what they want, and capitulating to things players whine for isn't necessarily the way to go. Who knew?

One thing that might make console-based cloak better is if it granted something besides the cloak. Like, it gives a set bonus. Or maybe it should just be absorbed into another console. Like, the Gal-X cloak and spinal lance get absorbed into a single console (with a buff to the lance to reflect its increased opportunity cost). The Defiant gets a console with cloak and some other gimmick on par with Saucer Sep and Ablative Armor (keeping it in line with $20 retrofits of captain level ships).
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg