test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How stimulate people to contribute doffs into starbase projects?

nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Fleet System and Holdings
That's the situation:
We are close to T5, there are a lot of people online at the same time in the roster (more than 20-30 usually in the prime time), there are a lot of doffs in the starbase projects and there is a guide about "how to find doffs in sto" available to the fleet. The problem is that barely a few fleetmates continue to contribute doffs into projects steadily, every day, the others just seem simply passive, and they always need a "boost" in fleet chat to get them to contribute, otherwise it happens that they ignore them. We don't ask so much, just a very little amount of doffs per player (like 5-10), but it seems to ask the MOON apparently :rolleyes:. On the other hand, the fleet marks are just filled in NANOseconds, but i think this is not a news :P
I'm just wondering if the doffs problem is common through the fleets and if it has been solved by some of them; in this case: how?
Thanks in advance.

ps: i know that selecting one by one the doffs when you contribute it's quite tedious, but until the cryptic doesn't create a faster method, it remains the only one available...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• artesio2artesio2 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    : Eek:: Eek:ma LOL
  • nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Common problem. Cryptic got the resource balance wrong. That's the cause. It's not your fleet members, it's Cryptic.
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Right now our KDF fleet is grinding out science exp to get those elite carrier pets and I tend to be the one that fills doff inputs. It would make my life easier if three things were done:

1. A way to buy multiple doffs off the exchange, or a way to auto buy with set parameters. So if there was a way to set "buy common science doffs 30k ec or less" or maybe "buy 77 common science doffs beginning at lowest price".

(I really don't know how they'd do this though)

2. Increase FM payout for doffs.

3. Balance costs.

But then you will always have the people that grind FMs to no end and set alarms to contribute FMs only. Then they complain they have no FM sink and get irritated when you tell them there are other things like dilithium and doffs they could be contributing...

I think FMs should get a 1 to 1 FC return. Dilithium should be 1 to 3, Doffs should be 1 to 500 (not very well thought out but you get the idea, nerf FM to FC rates, buff dilithium to FC rates!)
  • ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    fatman592 wrote: »
    Doffs should be 1 to 500
    Well that would be a wash now wouldn't it. Considering that you can buy a common fleet DOff package for 500 FMs. I don't see *that* particular conversion rate happening.
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    fftt wrote: »
    Well that would be a wash now wouldn't it. Considering that you can buy a common fleet DOff package for 500 FMs. I don't see *that* particular conversion rate happening.

Like I said, not very well thought out.
  • daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    noblet wrote: »
    Cryptic got the resource balance wrong.

Not wrong -- GRIND worthy. I think they did it on purpose assuming we'd either be doing the recruit missions at the academy or the support missions in star clusters to get the DOffs we need. That said, THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING. And the goal is to keep us lifers busy and distracted. The logic is that the longer it takes the less well have to complain about. Think about that.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • dkratascodkratasco Member Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The real problem is how easy is to obtain large numbers of FM and it's exchange ratio 1:50 with FC. That's why people would rather contribute large amounts of FM rather than any thing else especially dilithium. Right now the easiest thing to obtain (I'd say you get them for free from almost every endgame mission) gives the biggest number of FC.

And most people simply won't contribute for fleet any thing they need to pay for, and that means larger number of doffs. Everyone want fleet toys, but only few are ready to pay for them.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    nandospc wrote: »
    That's the situation:
    We are close to T5, there are a lot of people online at the same time in the roster (more than 20-30 usually in the prime time), there are a lot of doffs in the starbase projects and there is a guide about "how to find doffs in sto" available to the fleet. The problem is that barely a few fleetmates continue to contribute doffs into projects steadily, every day, the others just seem simply passive, and they always need a "boost" in fleet chat to get them to contribute, otherwise it happens that they ignore them.
    Yeah, people are like that. I'll look you up in game sometime, I could use an opportunity to unload some more puree of doff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I know that it would never happen - but IF Fleet Credits were not transferrable between Fleets (not sure if they are, only ever been in the one Fleet), then I would think that the Fleet Leader(s) should be able to adjust ratios of "Resource X"/Fleet Credit Payout to whatever they want. It's their Fleet, and THEY are supposed to be running it, so they should be able to incentivize donating specific items. As it is, they are at the mercy of the balance set by the devs, which I agree - gives way too much for Fleet Marks, and way too little for Dilithium, and everything in between.

Some Fleets are short Fleet Credits, some short doffs, some short dilithium, etc. It would allow Fleet Leaders to control what people were grinding for without just "DO THIS BECAUSE WE NEED IT", and reward players for different types of grinding.

In large Fleets, you have to set cell phone alarms to contribute Fleet Marks and Expertise, and then it's a far lesser number of people contributing dilithium and doffs.

Some sort of control would have to be put on this adjustment to prevent abuse by leaders (ie jack up Fleet Credit value, contribute, then put it back down). Perhaps a cooldown on changes. That being said, I would imagine Fleet Leaders abusing this would find themselves without members in short order.
    edited April 2014
    (...)I would think that the Fleet Leader(s) should be able to adjust ratios of "Resource X"/Fleet Credit Payout to whatever they want. It's their Fleet, and THEY are supposed to be running it, so they should be able to incentivize donating specific items. As it is, they are at the mercy of the balance set by the devs(...)

Easiest way would be to have specific FC pool for projects and option to set at the project select how many of them goes to specific contribution items with minimum ratio 1:1.
    Some sort of control would have to be put on this adjustment to prevent abuse by leaders (ie jack up Fleet Credit value, contribute, then put it back down). Perhaps a cooldown on changes. That being said, I would imagine Fleet Leaders abusing this would find themselves without members in short order.

And no for any type of "abuse protecting" mechanism for this or any other fleet aspect. We already have the best possible protect: own thinking mind. Don't like how your Fleet leader does, than change Fleet. Stop trying to protect people from their own stupidity, let natural selection work.
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have found doffs to be one of the easier things to fill. I can usually get my doffs filled and make enough ec to pay to the commodities to fill the projects.

One thing I notice is that usually players will blow their fleet credits at the starbase to fill the need but with the credit sink in the other holding's provisions I viewed this as stupid. Earning them by requesting officers are slow and cadres are expensive.

The officer exchange at the sfa/kdf academy is best. You can buy green doffs for about 50k ec and blues for about 150k ec each. A green is 3 white or a blue is 9 whites. Think about how much you have to buy a white officer for. Currently eng common doff is 40k ec, tac is about 35k ec, sci is 25k ec and civilians are 10k ec. That is an average of 27.5k ec.

If a green doff at 50k gets you 3 whites that average value at 27.5k ec on the exchange and you were to sell all 3 that is 82.5k value. That is 32,000 ec for nothing but your time to grind doffs in the meat grinder.

That blue doff for 150k gives a return value of 247.5k in return.

These white doffs will sell on the exchange because there is a lot of people who buy them off the exchange to fill their fleet projects.

I have skimmed the career I need off the top and sell the rest to keep the flow going. and if you put them on the exchange you can make you money back when you are not logged in.

If you crack a blue and get green technicians or green refugees then you make even more money because they are worth at least 150 k on their own.

If fleet marks fill up instantly then stop farming them and let them fill them and fill the doffs and commodities for your credits.
  • ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hence why I said that if it was being abused, anyone would find themselves without contributing members in very short order. I agree - natural selection would probably work fine. I can't imagine anyone I know in game trying something like that, but there are always people out there....

That being said, I would imagine such a change would require some serious development time, because right now the values of all the contributions are probably just hard coded somewhere. Allowing the Fleet Leader to hand out FC as he or she wishes would be a significant change.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    try to encourage your members to each go take the mission to get free officers each week. Some will be the right type to donate to the projects.

Perhaps offer a reward for the top 3 officer contributions or something.... give em a fleet module or key ...?
    edited April 2014
    The fleet credit valuation of doffs is definitely not an issue here. You get 300 fleet credits for each duty officer. Fleet marks are 50 each. There was a thread last week about the valuation of dilithium with similar arguments.

The issue with limited credits in this game is always going to be the fleet provisions that cost 600 and give nothing. I put some math in this post.

In that post there is one image you really need to look at. If you are suffering from credits it is because you have leechers that contribute to get fleet credits leaving some one else to pay the bill by not contributing provisions as upgrades have a deficit.

Since fleet credits stay with you no matter what fleet you are in the leader setting the value of credits is a very bad idea. Players will bail your fleet and go to the ones with the most rewards.

I gave a valid solution to doffs. The exchange is player driven and is not an exploit.

If you are complaining that there are too many fleet marks out there then ask cryptic to remove sources of marks. The only reason why they fill faster is not the valuation of the ease of acquiring.

Fleet leaders have every right to manage their fleet for who donates and who does not.
    edited April 2014
    I know that it would never happen - but IF Fleet Credits were not transferrable between Fleets (not sure if they are, only ever been in the one Fleet), then I would think that the Fleet Leader(s) should be able to adjust ratios of "Resource X"/Fleet Credit Payout to whatever they want. It's their Fleet, and THEY are supposed to be running it, so they should be able to incentivize donating specific items.
    This would never, never work, because what is the drawback to setting everything to give UNLIMITED POWER?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014
    This would never, never work, because what is the drawback to setting everything to give UNLIMITED POWER?

That could work, but as I wrote previously every project should have exact FC value as it is now. What Fleet Leader could set will be how those FC are distributed by project while it's chose. You want to reward with FC those who for example contribute commodities than you set most of FC from this project goes to commodites, rest of iteams (FM, EXP, etc.) will give FC at 1:1 ratio.
    edited April 2014
    dkratasco wrote: »
    That could work, but as I wrote previously every project should have exact FC value as it is now. What Fleet Leader could set will be how those FC are distributed by project while it's chose. You want to reward with FC those who for example contribute commodities than you set most of FC from this project goes to commodites, rest of iteams (FM, EXP, etc.) will give FC at 1:1 ratio.
    Countermove: Set FC value of item to max. Fill said item. Change the values now that an item is filled. Rinse, repeat. There's tons more ways to abuse this...if I could alter the FC distribution value for a project, I would abuse the hell out of this so much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014
    Countermove: Set FC value of item to max. Fill said item. Change the values now that an item is filled. Rinse, repeat. There's tons more ways to abuse this...if I could alter the FC distribution value for a project, I would abuse the hell out of this so much.
    What Fleet Leader could set will be how those FC are distributed by project while it's chose.

You could set it only once for project at the moment when you put it as active to contribute.

Even setting one item to max and fill it and trying to change value won't work because earned FC from those items would by already take from max project FC value.
    edited April 2014
    dkratasco wrote: »
    You could set it only once for project at the moment when you put it as active to contribute.

Even setting one item to max and fill it and trying to change value won't work because earned FC from those items would by already take from max project FC value.

What difference does changing the different values have when a project can have a net loss of over a million fleet credits?
    edited April 2014
    Not sure if I properly understand what you wrote (eng isn't my primary language).

Ok doffs in direct ratio gives more FC from one item, but projects usually need only up to 50, when FM goes in thousands. With 50 doffs 300FC each you get 15000 FC, and from 1000 FM 50FC each you get 50000 FC. You see difference? You get much more from items which you get by the way doing other stuff (10-15 minute mission gives over 30-40 FM + dilithium and other stuff) then from those which you have to buy or spend time only for getting them.

Changing values could motivate players to contribute other than easiest to obtain materials mostly FM and EXP. Yes, project can give now over million FC but with six type of needed materials over 50% of FC goes now from contribution of two easiest to (and for free) obtained items: FM and EXP (you get them from nearly any endgame mission which you do because there isn't any thing else to do at endgame).
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited April 2014
    Doff Donations - The Conundrum.

Regardless of the what you earn from doff donation, getting fleet-mates to help out is sometimes a major frustrating point.

It's so easy to donate Marks, commodities and gear. But when it comes to doffs and to some extent dilithium, your fleet members tend to not help.

Within our fleet we chose the following course:
    All donations must be balanced. No dumping allowed. (Dumping being just doing fleet marks).

Tracking this was difficult, but being a smaller fleet management could actively monitor who donated. The tough part was this:
    Violators will get 1 warning, then will be air-locked.

That's right. We kicked players out for not following a balanced donation process. It didn't take much to bring the entire active fleet into line. Sadly I had to let go 1 guy, who after repeated warnings ignored the policy. He was a decent player, someone I brought over from my old fleet AND a heavy contributor.

But fleets are not democracies....

We're complete on every project and fleet holding. We have copuous amounts of provisions. And we still maintain a balanced approach to donations. If players need a lot of FM? No problem - fill this entire project, and it's all yours.

No issues. A little management hassle. And a completed fleet.
    edited April 2014
    It's so easy to donate Marks, commodities and gear. But when it comes to doffs and to some extent dilithium, your fleet members tend to not help.
    Well, it's deeply impractical for anyone who doesn't have a dedicated doff processing infrastructure to actually do doffs: Fleets, as you know, eat hundreds of doffs a day: With the mail nerf, a normal player simply has no ability to STORE that many doffs, without either having no doffs at all, and therefore, not being able to generate doffs on account of not being a doffer. To manage doffs nowadays requires a dedicated muling infrastructure built to process and store the hundreds of doffs required to feed a base.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014
    Well, it's deeply impractical for anyone who doesn't have a dedicated doff processing infrastructure to actually do doffs: Fleets, as you know, eat hundreds of doffs a day: With the mail nerf, a normal player simply has no ability to STORE that many doffs, without either having no doffs at all, and therefore, not being able to generate doffs on account of not being a doffer. To manage doffs nowadays requires a dedicated muling infrastructure built to process and store the hundreds of doffs required to feed a base.

Yes, and no. We have guides to help you here: dtfleet.com.

A single player with little effort can donate 5 doffs every 48 hours without cost. They're free.

A single player can earn enough ec in 8 minutes on a loot-type Foundry mission to buy at least 10 doffs. On good days, you can buy 20-30 for the same amount with a little effort while cruising the exchange.

A single player can with a 300K ec investment, can flip items on the exchange to lazy players for a 400-500K ec proffit. Another 10 doffs+

Lets not forget you pick up stuff while grinding. 1 rare console can generate 200K. 6 Doffs.

Feeling Ferengi? 2 days limits on dilithium = 125 Zen = 1 key = about 2 million ec = 55 Doffs.

Edit:
    With the key sale on, 1.62 days limit on dil = 107 Zen = 1 key = about 2 million ec = 55 Doffs.

A single player can spend fleet credits to buy fleet doffs. UNLIMITED fleet doffs. Plus if you actually take the time to look at your fleet doffs, mixed in are a few hard to get doffs which you can resell on the exchange for larger amounts of ec, driving even greater numbers of doffs. Remember, you get FC back at the same time - diminishing returns yes, but well worth it.

In our fleet when days got slow, the more active players could donate 50 or more a few times a week buy buying doffs with fleet credits.

Simply put there is NO excuse that can counter 15 minutes of your day to provide at least 10 doffs PER toon.

How tough is that?
    edited April 2014
    A single player with little effort can donate 5 doffs every 48 hours without cost. They're free.
    Sure, but these doffs won't exactly be of organized type, and in any event, 5 doffs seems wholly inadequate. Who is responsible for collecting and storing these doffs for the appointed time? The system is not built with a buffer. All the various doffs you're collecting by these methods have to be STORED somewhere. Do you keep some sort of schedule for who is supposed to gather up the doffs and deposit them in at project time? It used to be that someone could accumulate enough of these slowly to actually fill the project, but now that they cannot really be stored anywhere, whose job is it to collect these things so that they will be prepared for the project going live?
    Feeling Ferengi? 2 days limits on dilithium = 125 Zen = 1 key = about 2 million ec = 55 Doffs.

Edit:
    With the key sale on, 1.62 days limit on dil = 107 Zen = 1 key = about 2 million ec = 55 Doffs.
    This is most horrifying idea I've heard to date. You're actually suggesting that your people do this?
    A single player can spend fleet credits to buy fleet doffs. UNLIMITED fleet doffs. Plus if you actually take the time to look at your fleet doffs, mixed in are a few hard to get doffs which you can resell on the exchange for larger amounts of ec, driving even greater numbers of doffs. Remember, you get FC back at the same time - diminishing returns yes, but well worth it.
    Yes, I have found this to be the most organized way of doing things, as the boxes can simply be banked until the appointed time, in neatly stacked piles, so lack of doff storage space isn't a huge issue. Unfortunately it also runs at -FC, and thus cannot be sustained.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If I understand the question correctly how do you get people to donate doffs, my apologies, my fleet does not have this issue, (We have a current roster of three people)

A T4 Starbase has a the daily requirement for doffs is 462 a day. (We are T4)

As they are common doffs, it is very easy to fill them, right now, uncommon doffs are cheap and can be ground down to 3 commons in a minute.

The common doffs at the starbase are cheap as well, they cost like 325 Fleet credits each. Anyone that is contributing to the fleet on a daily basis, will not doubt have extra fleet credits to purchase some.

People are willing to trade doffs for fleet credits (you invite, they donate) all the time on ESD. Keep an eye out for it.

Lastly, with the limit per toon at 500 doff roster, people can have 100 to 200 common doffs ready for projects at any given time.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
    edited April 2014

This is most horrifying idea I've heard to date. You're actually suggesting that your people do this?

No. The point was made for illustrative purposes. I frankly find any use of dilithium for anything other than my own personal gratification is completely disgusting. Having said that I have dropped a few million in dil on various fleet projects as have many others in my fleet. We jokingly refer to it as 'you were holding out you cheap bugger' ;)

I take offense at people who say 'I can't donate doffs' as being willfully ignorant and very self-indulgent. The expectation that they can fill all the fleet mark requirements without sharing the doffing burden as grossly unfair.
    edited April 2014
    I take offense at people who say 'I can't donate doffs' as being willfully ignorant and very self-indulgent. The expectation that they can fill all the fleet mark requirements without sharing the doffing burden as grossly unfair.
    I dunno, man. I see this as more a case of division of labor and specialization. I'm perfectly fine with getting other people to deal with fleet marks, if only I *COULD* find anyone, while I focus on doffing, seeing as I have a processing infrastructure for it, and they don't. It seems to ME that it's entirely reasonable why a normal, non-crazy individual might not wish to establish 30 mule toons just to store and process doffs on. Sure, it seems relatively easy once it's done and the flow of doffs just keeps coming and has to go somewhere, but it's a significant leap to take at first.

Admittedly, I also think normal people are pretty useless in general. No one sane has ever achieved greatness. Sanity is the first and foremost obstacle to success.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    edited April 2014
    How this and many others threads shows fleet system need much more 'command and conquer' options than we have now, better logs, individual privileges for fleet members rather than whole rank, etc. Some fleets wan't use them some other will, but at least they would have choice.