test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Heads up - For those with Graphics glitches

cyberpapacyberpapa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I was having a lot of issues with Graphics glitches and discoverd the quick workaround. Wasn't easy to find, and when I did find it; I didn't know how to fix the issue... but, it turned out to be easy.

Quick Answer: [Game Menu] / [Options] / [Video] / Video Card (at top) restart required. Select DirectX 9 or DirectX 9ex.

Talkative Answer:

By Graphic glitches I mean... stars & planets missing (shows as white boxes), players & Doffs in non-textured outfits, Icons missing above personnel (like Bank, Exchange), No icons for Inventory, or Ship Loadouts, Bank Inventory and a whole host of other things not mentioned.

This may not be your issue; and if not, sorry... apparently this doesn't fix everything; but, it does fix a lot. :-(

A few weeks ago I had upgraded my DirectX to version 11, and at the time wasn't even thinking StarTrek! Apparently, STO supports Directx 11; but, not completely... so much for Microsoft saying they're backwardly compatabile... otherwise 11 would work with a DirectX 9 or earlier compliant game!

I read an article stating that some of the Graphic Models used in Star Trek online are not up to snuff for DirectX 11; and as of this date, this appears to be true. The article then stated, use DirectX 9 or DirectX 9ex... Great! But, what it didn't say was how to roll back DirectX 11 to 9.

After reading various methods on the Internet, which had us digging around in the Registry :eek: and that's really 'forcing' the issue, I decided I would have to live with the problem. Not because the registry can't be edited; but, from 10+ years experience with the Registry... if you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.. and, there be Dragons! Even if experienced, the Registry can be a pain, and so it is to be avoided, if possible. Make a backup of it first; and if you don't know how to do that, then you should do anything in there at all!

That said, the answer turned out to be simple. StarTrek Online built into the Video settings a simple drop down menu that lets you switch to which DirectX you want the client to use. Most games don't do that! Anything worth its salt will do that.

[Game Menu] / [Options] / [Video] / Video Card (at top) restart required. Select DirectX 9 or DirectX 9ex.

Problem solved.

Although Directx 9 in the game is not completely free from graphic problems, until they get the models up to snuff, this is a perfect workaround if you have installed 11. The team at Cryptic say they're not using any of the improvements (commands) found in 11; but, they're on the way to doing so at some vague time in the future... probably after Driectx 12 comes out. ;)

Hope this helps someone! I know it helped me!
FED Vice Admiral Gervnd USS Singularity
KDF Commander Inuni IKS Ornovus
ROM Centurion Aer RRW Scientology :cool:
Post edited by cyberpapa on

Comments

• lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Although I appreciate you taking the time to try to look into this issue, I'm afraid it isn't quite that simple. I've been using D3D9ex this entire time and I always had the bug strike. You see, it isn't a problem with our rigs, it's a problem with the game code. Luckily, Crypticcliff has found the problem and has a temporary work around until his fix can make it live.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=16138201&postcount=608

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=16149371&postcount=618

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=16158031&postcount=626
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Its more a problem related to the graphics card / game compatibilty than anything else. A LOT of people runs the game in DX11 without any graphic glitch at all. Like me.

But what i do think is, if using DX11 doesnt improve anything, it should be deactivated, there is no sense on having that option if it is useless.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    What surprises me about this bug is the amount of people still using 32-bit systems. Most if not all people running this game should have a 64-bit CPU. There is no real reason to be installing 32-bit systems anymore. Heck, Windows 8.1 Update 1 lowered the system requirements for installing it.
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    What surprises me about this bug is the amount of people still using 32-bit systems. Most if not all people running this game should have a 64-bit CPU. There is no real reason to be installing 32-bit systems anymore. Heck, Windows 8.1 Update 1 lowered the system requirements for installing it.

Probably because:

a)** Until a few years ago, 32bit was the "norm" and 64bit wasn't very well supported by many games and programs (and please don't try and say otherwise, you'll just look stupid)

b) Many people haven't the faintest idea what 32 and 64 bit means.

c) Many people buy their systems with pre-installed copies of Windows, which, in the vast majority of cases is the 32bit version.

d) There is no "In Place" or 'Easy" way to upgrade from 32 to 64 without completely re-installing many pieces of software.

e) One or many of the programs they use do not have 64bit versions and are not compatible with 64bit Windows

** For many this is the main issue, either they no longer have or can no longer use the original installation media from the program, it was bought as a digital copy and can no longer be acquired (and sadly a possibility) the software was obtained without proper license, and can't be "upgraded' to the 64bit version (if it exists)
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »

Probably because that is what my computer came with as a capable upgrade, it came factory with Vista 32bit, and was offered with W7 32 bit as a free upgrade.

This was common for a lot of off the shelf computers during those years, and only higher end big buck off the shelf, or custom built ones made use of 64bit.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    cyberpapa wrote: »
    I was having a lot of issues with Graphics glitches and discoverd the quick workaround. Wasn't easy to find, and when I did find it; I didn't know how to fix the issue... but, it turned out to be easy.

Quick Answer: [Game Menu] / [Options] / [Video] / Video Card (at top) restart required. Select DirectX 9 or DirectX 9ex.

Yeah, no offense, but just 'turn everything down to as low as the year 1979 graphics' is not something I consider a solution; not even a decent workaround. DX11, or bust.

Fortunately, I have, for all purposes and intent, 0 glitches (GTX 580).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • johankreigjohankreig Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    What about those of us running xp on older but still viable pcs, I dont want to have to rebuild it just to play sto, no other games give me problems.
    Jorhana Kreig: KDF, Tal'is: Romulan Fed, Shona'a: Romulan KDF, Johan Paul Kreig: Fed