test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What we know about the Breen

jmaster29jmaster29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Ten Forward
So, since I'm thinking of writing a Breen fan-fic, I wanna pool what info we have about the Breen.
1. Their government is a Confederacy
2. It's possible that 'Breen' isn't a species, rather a collective name taken by almost a dozen species
3. They use slavery
4. Their culture seems to be ruthless and backstabbing, since the Romulans have a saying, "Never turn your back on a Breen"
5. It's possible they sold the Ferengi warp drive
6. They were allied with the Dominion during the Dominion war
7. They have a powerful energy dampening weapon

So, what else do we know about the Breen?

DISCUSS!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by jmaster29 on

Comments

• Options
    squatsaucesquatsauce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Princess Leia disguised herself as a Breen in order to infiltrate Jabba's palace.

They resemble the members of Daft Punk and, indeed, are their actual descendants.
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Their planet may or may not be really cold.
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jmaster29 wrote: »
    So, since I'm thinking of writing a Breen fan-fic, I wanna pool what info we have about the Breen.
    2. It's possible that 'Breen' isn't a species, rather a collective name taken by almost a dozen species
    3. They use slavery
    4. Their culture seems to be ruthless and backstabbing, since the Romulans have a saying, "Never turn your back on a Breen"

DISCUSS!!

Their homeworld may or may not be a frozen wasteland.

All Klingon expeditions into Breen Space have been lost.

They wear refrigeration suits.

They seem to be able to rapidly field a large space force.

'Thot' appears to be a title analogous to either 'Captain' or 'Admiral'.

Breen names seem to consist of one syllable.

They have no blood, or, if they do, typical starfleet medical techniques cannot extract it.

They exist in both Star Trek and Star Wars (jk).
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jmaster29 wrote: »
    3. They use slavery

DISCUSS!!

8. Their home world was destroyed about 400 years ago.
    9. They like to eat cats
    10. This is how they look without suits

Also people seem to forget Weyouns remark on their home world, that they have a quiet pleasant clima and nobody knows why they wear suits (opposing the common believe that it is an ice world).
    Also the "backstabbing".... "Never turn a back on a breen"...thats pretty much what everyone says about everyone
    "Never trust a Klingon", nobody trusts Romulans, and Romulans and Klingons do not trust the Federation.
    Andorians said similar about the Vulcans during Enterprise. And vis a verse. Even Archer said that about the Vulcans.

There is also that funny SF-Debris speculations that the Breen are actually the race Phlox "genocided "/ refused to heal in... I think it was "Dear Doctor". If I'd make a fan fiction about the Breen I'd do that approach.
  • Options
    dathranselanedathranselane Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I believe the Romulan saying derives more from the Breen's undisguised contempt for other races than from a species culture of treachery. Breen make no secret of their superiority over other species, and most are willing to betray, enslave, or murder "lesser" species without a second thought.

Breen have a rigid chain of command (as evinced in the Breen mission chain), and seem to place a high cultural value on knowing one's place and respecting the chain of command. Despite that, they are also driven to achieve, and competition for rank and status is probably intense.

They also place very high value on personal and cultural honour, maybe even moreso than Klingons. They do not tolerate insults about themselves or their species from "lesser" species, with responses ranging from cutting communications to immediately attacking. It is highly likely that their notions of honourable behaviour only apply to other Breen; other species, being inferior, are not worthy of honourable treatment (which goes back to the first point, and the Romulan saying).

Breen commanders (Thots) are often significantly larger than their subordinates (at least this is true ingame). There's no way to know if this is because Breen become bigger and stronger with age, or if larger, more powerful Breen naturally become leaders. I would lean towards the latter.
  • Options
    kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    "If anyone knows how to keep things cold, it's the Breen."

- During the Klingon Second Empire, Chancellor Mow'ga ordered an entire fleet of Klingon warships to invade and conquer the Breen homeworld. The fleet never returned and was never heard from again.
    (While the size of the Klingon fleet was unknown, it can be assumed that it consisted of a large number of ships, as the Chancellor intended to invade deeply into Breen space and conquer the Breen home planet. This shows that the Breen were a force to be reckoned with long before the 24th century.)

- The Breen settlements on Portas V near the Demilitarized Zone dealt with the Maquis, supplying them with cold-storage units.

- The Ferengi had developed closer ties with the Breen by the late 24th century, as both species conducted trade negotiations in 2373.

- By that same year (2373), the Cardassian Union maintained an embassy on the Breen homeworld.

- Breen privateers during the 24th century would often conduct indiscriminate raids against other Alpha Quadrant species.

- Breen physiology is among the most exotic for humanoid lifeforms, which may be due, in part, to their homeworld's climate. The Breen have no blood or other liquid circulatory system. The Breen brain is structured into four lobes; this protects them from the probing of some empathic species, such as the Betazoids, who are unable to detect the thoughts or emotions of the Breen.

- The Breen constantly wear refrigeration suits in order to maintain a cold temperature like that on their homeworld (although Weyoun stated that the Breen homeworld is not a cold wasteland).

- According to Worf, no outsider had ever seen what a Breen looked like under their refrigeration suits and lived.

- The Breen commonly produce offspring at a very early age, at about the equivalence in physical growth of Human third grade children. The Breen entertain their offspring with nursery rhymes. Breen nursery rhymes can be made up of a heterophonic, five-line verse with an alternating tetrameter and pentameter structure. These are nonsensical phrases strung together because they rhyme (at least to the Breen). Some Breen music, which can accompany these nursery rhymes, is written on a Lyxian scale.

- During the 2360s, the Breen were known for their development of organic technology, which they employed in the construction of their spacecraft.

- The Breen were known to use type 3 disruptors, like the Romulans and Klingons. The Breen also manufactured a portable hand-held cannon, the CRM 114. It was designed to target moving objects and surface emplacements. It was among the weapons dealt by the Ferengi arms dealer Gaila in the mid-2370s.

- The Breen make use of memory probing technology in the form of cortical implants and neural truncheons for subduing prisoners.

- It was not until 2382 that definitive information was obtained relating to the Breen and their biology. Initially it was believed that the Breen were a single race; however, as detailed by Sarina Douglas and Julian Bashir, the name Breen is a name taken on by the member species of the Breen Confederacy. It has been claimed that the individual races (the Amoniri, Fenrisal, Paclu, Silwaan) take on the singular name and the concealing uniforms in order to prevent any biases and prejudices to interfere with the development of their society. The uniform design has been designed to support the distinctive features of the individual races.
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited April 2014
    From what I've read previously, there seem to be two schools of thought regarding Breen, and some points may conflict. One focuses solely on what was stated onscreen, or perhaps with footnotes from cast and crew. I think this canonical version suggests, but doesn't explicitly say that the Breen are a single species. The other is taken from the books which may or may not be canon. I believe the idea of multiple species in the confederacy comes from the books. There may be other variances between the schools of thought.

Looks like you may have to pick a course.
  • Options
    jmaster29jmaster29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    From what I've read previously, there seem to be two schools of thought regarding Breen, and some points may conflict. One focuses solely on what was stated onscreen, or perhaps with footnotes from cast and crew. I think this canonical version suggests, but doesn't explicitly say that the Breen are a single species. The other is taken from the books which may or may not be canon. I believe the idea of multiple species in the confederacy comes from the books. There may be other variances between the schools of thought.

Looks like you may have to pick a course.

I reckon I'm going with the 'Breen is a multiple species" approach, it'll make for a better story IMO. I am gonna take out some bits I don't like, but other then that...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The Typhon Pact series give a good look at the Breen and is a great set of novels