test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Protonic Polaron - Worth It?

hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Federation Discussion
So I have a Dyson science vessel (doesn't everyone?) with all the consoles, etc etc. Grav torpedo, experimental proton weapon. Right now, the other weapon slots have phaser beam arrays in. But I find myself wondering if it's worth going full proton, buying PP weapons from the rep store, to chase the set bonuses to proton damage etc. Thoughts?
Post edited by hfmudd on

Comments

• Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Like any other weapon in STO, the answer is ... Maybe ...

They do the same damage as any other weapon, so you have to decide which Proc you want i.e Single Target High Damage for mainly PvP or Multi Target and/or Debuff for Team or PvE.

If the former, go AP, if the latter go Rom Plasma or Fleet Disruptor.

Protonic Polaron has a good Proc for Debuffing and also damaging targets with pure kinetic damage (if it procs), particularly on a Rom Toon with bucket loads of CritH. The Jem-H 2 pce Space Set has a good Polaron Damage Boost, and if you add Spire Damage Consoles with the +Plasma proc, you can have 3 procs on one weapon, with 2 of them doing damage regardless of shields.

So again the answer is ... Maybe yes, maybe no ...
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited April 2014
    My opinion is - no it's not worth it for PvE.

I built out a Falchion Scimidar using phased polaron arrays as the primary weapon. Once my Dyson rep was complete I had almost a complete set of Protonic Polarons. I had heard good things from people I now consider to be unreliable, so I replaced the phased with a set of Protonics and ran a few tests.

Note I am NOT a high DPS is everything type of player.

Phased polaron arrays + rom plasma torp + spire tac consoles, I averaged 16-18K on ISE.

Protonic polaron arrays + rom plasma torp + spire tac consoles, I averaged 14-16K on ISE.
    - interesting results, damage and crits happening to hull before shields dropped.

Protonic polaron arrays + rom plasma torp + protonic tac consoles, I averaged 9-10K on ISE.
    - felt like someone had taken away half my firepower.

Huge waste of resources - or I suck as to how to use them effectively. Reminded me of the time I wasted resources buying fleet advanced tetryons.... *rolls eyes* NEVER AGAIN.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Well. That's rather discouraging.
    Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Cant say I was ever impressed by them.

I mean if you had a high crit build then maybe.

But at that point you would probably still do more damage with any other weapon.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • Options
    oracion666oracion666 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have to ask, what tac consoles are there that add juice to these protonic weapons? I know from the boxes the dyson rep gives out that those engineering/science consoles have protonic attributes, but are there any tac consoles for them?
    Formerly known as Echo@Rivyn13
    Member since early 2011

• Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Polaron tac consoles will boost them. Though you can also get that type from Dyson rep with the extra accuracy and proton damage boost.
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Phased polaron arrays + rom plasma torp + spire tac consoles, I averaged 16-18K on ISE.

Protonic polaron arrays + rom plasma torp + spire tac consoles, I averaged 14-16K on ISE.
    - interesting results, damage and crits happening to hull before shields dropped.
    This result is very interesting. Since both Phased and Protonic are 2-mod weapons, assuming no change in mods, the Protonic should always outperform Phased simply because the Protonic proc causes damage, the Phased proc does not.

How do you explain this clear discrepancy?
    Protonic polaron arrays + rom plasma torp + protonic tac consoles, I averaged 9-10K on ISE.
    This result is completely unsurprising, since the Protonic consoles are both inferior in quantity of boost and provide no CrtH/D. The minor improvement to an infrequent proc cannot possibly make up for the loss of that proc happening in the first place, since you lose the CrtH that made the proc even occur!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    deathray38deathray38 Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This result is very interesting. Since both Phased and Protonic are 2-mod weapons, assuming no change in mods, the Protonic should always outperform Phased simply because the Protonic proc causes damage, the Phased proc does not.

IMO it is quite simple:
    DPS is not ultimate way of measuring damage capabilities of ship.

Why? Because damage ignoring hull is allowing you to kill ship faster, then damage not ignoring hull.

First example: Let say under normal conditions you need 10 seconds to kill a ship with 50000 hull and 50000 shields - therefore your DPS is 10000.

Second example: Let say your damage is ignoring shields - You will kill this ship in 5 seconds... but your DPS is still the same - it is 10000 . So Your combat effectiveness was doubled without increasing DPS

Third example: You are doing 7500DPS ignoring shield - You will kill enemy ship in less then 7 seconds - but you have DPS 25% lower then ship from first example. At the same time you are actually 50% more effective in killing ships...

Conclusion:
    DPS is invalid parameter to estimate effectiveness of weapons able to ignore shields. These weapons are SIGNIFICANTLY more effective then you expect from regular DPS calculation.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Do the rep daily (even if at T5) for the boxes. After a few weeks you will HAVE a FULL set of weapons and can give it a cheap test run. Likely you already banked at least 3 of the things..?
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    hfmudd wrote: »
    So I have a Dyson science vessel (doesn't everyone?) with all the consoles, etc etc. Grav torpedo, experimental proton weapon. Right now, the other weapon slots have phaser beam arrays in. But I find myself wondering if it's worth going full proton, buying PP weapons from the rep store, to chase the set bonuses to proton damage etc. Thoughts?
    There are several potential sources of proton damage: the experimental weapon and the DSD's built-in DHC are full proton damage, as is the Dyson 4-pc proton barrage ability, while the protonic polarons only give supplemental proton damage on 25% of crits, and the sci consoles give supplemental proton damage on some percentage of some spells.

The weapons and abilities that use proton damage exclusively are obviously going to work better when buffed, and if you plan to make heavy use of them then you should spec the ship into maximizing proton damage.

The hybrid weapons and science consoles have a moderate proc rate, but they give a very low damage bonus when they do proc. As such they arent worth spec'ing the whole ship, but if you are using the other items and are buffing for those, then you will get more from these too.

Short answer, if you are using the 4-pc Dyson set on a DSD, then go ahead and get the protonic polarons, but you arent going to get much from just using the weapons alone.
  • Options
    ridddickxxxridddickxxx Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    My opinion is - no it's not worth it for PvE.

I built out a Falchion Scimidar using phased polaron arrays as the primary weapon. Once my Dyson rep was complete I had almost a complete set of Protonic Polarons. I had heard good things from people I now consider to be unreliable, so I replaced the phased with a set of Protonics and ran a few tests.

Note I am NOT a high DPS is everything type of player.

Huge waste of resources - or I suck as to how to use them effectively. Reminded me of the time I wasted resources buying fleet advanced tetryons.... *rolls eyes* NEVER AGAIN.

There should not be much difference between them in.
    Your results are random and depends on other 4 players in scenario.
    I log ISC with same builds, usually i get +10/-10%, sometimes i get -50% in DPS, maybe even more because of other players or random unpredictable things
    You need more tests.

But looking at the procs, i really dont see how can phased ones outgun protonic polaron ones.
    2nhfgxf.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    There should not be much difference between them in.
    Your results are random and depends on other 4 players in scenario.
    I log ISC with same builds, usually i get +10/-10%, sometimes i get -50% in DPS, maybe even more because of other players or random unpredictable things
    You need more tests.

But looking at the procs, i really dont see how can phased ones outgun protonic polaron ones.
    DPS is not ultimate way of measuring damage capabilities of ship.

Why? Because damage ignoring hull is allowing you to kill ship faster, then damage not ignoring hull.

First example: Let say under normal conditions you need 10 seconds to kill a ship with 50000 hull and 50000 shields - therefore your DPS is 10000.

Second example: Let say your damage is ignoring shields - You will kill this ship in 5 seconds... but your DPS is still the same - it is 10000 . So Your combat effectiveness was doubled without increasing DPS

Third example: You are doing 7500DPS ignoring shield - You will kill enemy ship in less then 7 seconds - but you have DPS 25% lower then ship from first example. At the same time you are actually 50% more effective in killing ships...

Conclusion:
    DPS is invalid parameter to estimate effectiveness of weapons able to ignore shields. These weapons are SIGNIFICANTLY more effective then you expect from regular DPS calculation.

It's absolutely normal for weapons doing direct damage to hull to:
    - do less DPS then standard weapons
    - kill ships faster then standard weapons.

Why? It's because protonic polarons/plasma are wasting less DPS on breaking shield. These weapons DPS are lower, but much more efficient.

If you want to give REAL results of dps comparison, you must calculate following thing:
    Damage done to hull per seconds vs shielded target. [where "shielded" mean target starting engagement with shields on]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    deathray38 wrote: »
    It's absolutely normal for weapons doing direct damage to hull to:

Why? It's because protonic polarons/plasma are wasting less DPS on breaking shield. These weapons DPS are lower, but much more efficient.

If you want to give REAL results of dps comparison, you must calculate following thing:
    Damage done to hull per seconds vs shielded target. [where "shielded" mean target starting engagement with shields on]

You did not read my post well, i said phased ones cannot do more damage than protonic ones :)
    2nhfgxf.jpg
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited April 2014

because parsing a single STF and using overall damage to compare weapon performance is a horribly inaccurate thing to do.

You simply won't be able to reproduce two STFs in the same way so you can draw those kinds conclusions. The discrepancy in that case could have a million other reasons and not be releated to weapon performance at all.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    You did not read my post well, i said phased ones cannot do more damage than protonic ones

Well... Actualy protonic polarons may have lower DPS then phased ones... and still kill ships faster. I am not against Your point of view, I am just supporting it by some theoretical knowledge :)

General DPS is calculated over the entire match, weapons "economically" distributing DPS are always heavy underated in this method of build comparison.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Well... Actualy protonic polarons may have lower DPS then phased ones... and still kill ships faster. I am not against Your point of view, I am just supporting it by some theoretical knowledge :)

General DPS is calculated over the entire match, weapons "economically" distributing DPS are always heavy underated in this method of build comparison.

I do agree with you that overall DPS is not the best indicator for better build, especially not for PVP.

Lets compare these weapons in detail:
    same base DPS
    same number of modifiers
    same energy cost
    same power drain proc
    the difference : protonic - 25% chance: on critical: 180.1 proton damage (ignores shields) vs. non-voth versus 2.5% chance: disable 1 subsystem for 5 sec (phaser proc)

0.625% to disable weapons - no DPS gain
    0.625% to disable shields - your DPS goes strait to hull
    0.625% to disable engines - gain accuracy, but little use for it in PVE
    0.625% to disable auxiliary - no DPS gain

versus constant 25% proc on critical 180.1 proton damage (unbuffed base number) considering gain in players crit chances

This is comparison for gaining pure DPS in lets say ISE, the reason i said that phased polaron cannon do more DPS there in same conditions.

EDIT: phased polarons have phaser proc / and this is the reason why nobody uses phaser, because of a worthless proc.
    2nhfgxf.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    But if you kill ships faster, you will do more DPS WHILE killing things faster, for the simple reason that the faster you can mow through one group of enemies, the faster you can mow through the entire level, and the higher your DPS will be as a result.

Furthermore, the direct-to-hull aspect vs. having shields to gnaw on is almost wholly irrelevant: Firstly, this is ISE: most enemies don't even have shields. Secondly, the fact that not all or even a majority of the damage is shield-ignoring means that you ultimately have to chew through the shield anyway: NPCs are all giant bags of hitpoints, and ignoring shields occasionally does not ultimately change the fact that you will have to chew through all of it to kill them. Practically no NPC will ever roast inside its shield like a player will.

So I am convinced that there is some kind of major inaccuracy at foot here if Protonics are parsing as less than the equivalent Phased weapons, since the Protonic Proc causes damage, the Phased proc does not: Therefore, in an otherwise identical run, anytime Protonic procced, the target took damage, any time Phased procced, absolutely nothing happened...and both weapons are Polaroid, so the Polaroid result was the same.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    All of which is totally irrelevant! You can parse yourself stupid, but at the end of the day, if the OP is doing damage and killing enemies with the efficiency they prefer, then Protonic Polarons, or Phased polarons, or even Phasers are fine. I've seen many a player in STF's with Phasers or even the Retro Phasers (you can distinctly hear those) and they do fine ...

The difference can be milliseconds in button presses and millionths of a % in random Proc chances, between several thousands of DPS, so who really cares?

OP, if you want to use Protonic Polaron then I say, go ahead, give it a try, and see what you can get out of the build = experiment with gear and setups, I garantee that you'll get way more enjoyment out of doig that than simply buying " W + X with Y on Z ship" .. .It's a GAME ... Have fun, and I'll maybe see you around in my Phased Polaron toting, Scimitar Turret Boat that I absolutely love flying STF's in..
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    bendalek wrote: »
    All of which is totally irrelevant! You can parse yourself stupid, but at the end of the day, if the OP is doing damage and killing enemies with the efficiency they prefer, then Protonic Polarons, or Phased polarons, or even Phasers are fine.
    It's clearly relevant to the OP, who asked this question. Responses like this amount to "I like ice cream".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    It's clearly relevant to the OP, who asked this question. Responses like this amount to "I like ice cream".
    Erm ... What? You like Ice Cream? Good for you.

What I'm trying to show the OP is that for every player that posts that they like this or that weapon type, there will be another that says those a rubbish, and you should use that or this weapon type! It's all about finding a combination that works FOR YOURSELF.
  • Options
    disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Actualy if you want a fair comparisson of builds here is what I have found works best.

In the tau dewa sector there is a mission to run wargames/destroy SB 234.

The mission is the same every time you do it and is single player so the only variable is you, its even timed.

Run the mission,parse it. Depending on your effectiveness you will either take up the entire time limit or finish it early.

If you take the entire time limit then your DPS parses will be accurate compared to eachother, That is if the mission took 5 minutes both times then your DPS isnt effected by total mission time.

If you manage to complete it before the time limit you will have to take into account the differenced between completion times.

I would run it at least 3 times ber build to get afew comparison points so other discrepencies, like the time it takes you to manuever or good crits, can be evened out a bit.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Actualy if you want a fair comparisson of builds here is what I have found works best.

As far as unshielded targets go, Solo-STFs are a nice place to test, too. ISE, kill the patrol, kill the cube/sphere above the transformer and use the latter one for your parses.

You can pretty much sit there, peacefully at the same range for as long as you want and test your damage or your rotation against a stationary, indestructable target.
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yeah but some weapons are stronger than the other ones. Antiprotons they can set the yield higher than the plain phaser type. Just some changes in the code.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    But if you kill ships faster, you will do more DPS WHILE killing things faster, for the simple reason that the faster you can mow through one group of enemies, the faster you can mow through the entire level, and the higher your DPS will be as a result.

That's kind of the crux of the debate. Deathray is pointing out that the metric isn't being used in a good context. Which happens a lot. DPS is an acronym that is getting its meaning lost in a game like this.

Part of is how the damage is measured (parsers do differ and the variable do differ and then the situations differ). Part of it is how the data is then utilized by the players.

I'll harken back to Everquest. That game had test mobs (initially it had enemies that just had too many HPs and would not fight back very well, but then later put in actual testing dummies). Enemies you could beat on for extended periods of time. You could then set up controlled parses. And you could get sample sizes large enough to make accurate comparisons.

This game has none of that. So a parse for ISE will be different than a parse from Crystaline Entity. For a lot of reasons, including the enemies differ, and the powers used actually have specifically different effects against the CE than they do against other enemies.

An EQ testing dummy was rather constant.

But also Deathray is finding one of the other subtle problems with the ongoing love affair these forums have with the acronym DPS. It's lost its actual meaning. People now toss it around to mean a measure of their damage potential. When all it ever was, was a measurement of one's damage over time, specifically damager over a second. This was really key in Everquest because weapons hinged on damage ratios and what not. It started to get glossed over and simplified in other games, notably WoW.

And the thing is, damage range, and how it affected spike damage, especially when under the effects of buffs, was something that was ancillary to DPS (because over an hour or longer of doing your rotation against a testing dummy, the spikes smoothed out), but was really significant in shorter fights in other games like WoW and eventually Cryptic games.

But DPS keeps getting used a shorthand to encompass all damage related debate. And parsers keep parsing.

But the shorthand creates a problem because it misuses the concept frequently. DPS is really a metric based on sustained damage. Not spike damage. And so to really oversimplify this, it's a metric that will in the end favor a power like Beam Fire at Will than it will a power like Cannon Rapid Fire.

But spike damage can clear out a particular situation much faster.

And so situation becomes relevant.

Which then cycles back to ISE, which is less situationally relevant because of how that encounter works out. (A lot of static enemies and sitting there just firing at pin cushions when compared to something like, say, Storming the Spire where things have more shields, more shield tricks, and force some movement by the player).

Man, this is rambling.

All I'm getting at is, DPS was a great metric when I needed to know which 2hander was a better weapon and I could hit a testing dummy for 65 minutes straight to get an idea of how it played out.

In this game, there's more at play because of situational variables, spike damage, and Cryptic's own math being a complex mess of diminishing returns versus straight additive stacking.

TLDR: DPS ... not so simple to apply to actual in game context.

EDIT: Back on the narrow topic itself ... Protonic Polaron ... I've thought about trying to use, but each time I end up going with something else. I don't know, I keep waffling on how effective it really seems compared to other weapon choices. It seems interesting, but in the end I usually opt for something different. Last time I faced this choice (was pretty recently with a guy I got to 50), I ended up just going Antiproton. I keep thinking the Protonic part has some interesting effects I want to try to utilize, but keep wanting to stay consistent overall with the damage boosting, and it seems like there's too much tradeoff in the end. But I could be wrong. I'm just going off of tooltips and haven't had much chance to test them on Tribble.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Snip snip....

Very good point sir :)
    I agree completely with you.

And we will see more and more content like that.
    2nhfgxf.jpg
  • Options
    tareruntaliontareruntalion Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    if you play only pve then put on your ship whatever type of weapon you want, pve is such a joke you only need to make about 5k dps to be able to play on elite and kill borg etc, my first finished build is a bfaw dem etc etc fleet excelsior. yes it can take much damage and do even more but it isn't that interesting roflstomping everything by pushing 2 buttons so i took the dyson recon science destroyer and put on it everything that had or proc'd the word proton on it and i made a good build (to me) and took it out for a spin and i realised i am having way more fun with it than parking a cruiser somewhere and hit faw repeatedly.

does it do gigantic dps ? no, i don't think so, i haven't parsed it and i don't care about it's dps, yes i have spent hundreds of thousands of dil to get the equipment but it isn't real money so who cares, dil is easy to gather, so in the end i have a weird setup/build very different to what i am used to and i like it very much cause it is more fun than the overused cruiser build

now if you want it for pvp then i think there are better weapon choises for a good damage build
  • Options
    unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Skimmed the thread here, so my arguments may have been addressed and debunked but I just want to post my experience using Protonic Polarons.

I love them, but there ARE some caveats that may or may not put them "below" certain other weapons.

BUT, if you spec AROUND them, using the ships and equips built with THEM in mind, sometimes the synergies you get can feel absolutely INSANE, and at least give the ILLUSION that you're doing huge amounts of damage, which, I believe, matters more than the raw numbers given the lack of general challenge in existing content.

Best of all, it's quite CHEAP to get a well-equipped Protonic Polaron build, in light of the new equipment additions and the lower cost/higher speed of the Dyson rep grind. Well, it's more expensive if you start factoring in fleet consoles, gimmick consoles, etc, but still.

For example, I built my freebie Dyson Science Destroyer (Warbird version) around proton damage, to maximize both Proton Damage AND Polaron Damage. I found and bought a couple of the auto-targeting consoles that increase Proton Damage, accuracy, and have the [+pol] mod and mixed them with vulnerability locators that boosted polaron damage. Instantly, I could boost both my Polaron and my Proton damage.

I combined this with the full Protonic Arsenal set from the dyson rep, which further boosts Proton damage AND photon projectile damage AND modifies the Experimental Proton Weapon to be compatible ability-wise to the Dyson ship's native Dual Heavy Cannons. I used plasma infused science consoles to add in an extra plasma burn. I used vulnerabilit

I ran my Dyson almost exclusively in tactical mode, to use high damage cannon powers with as many weapons as possible and attack maneuvers. In essence, I tailored as many abilities as possible to boost both proton damage and polaron damage AND adding as many damageboosting consoles as I could find. Example:

Proton damage: Very few NPCs have any specific resistance to proton damage + shield ignorance + anti-voth specialty

Tac consoles: More Proton+Polaron damage

Science consoles: Extra plasma burn damage

Special consoles: More crit and crit severity

Weapons: Dual heavy cannons with + Crit and Crit severity

Tac mode: more focused fire + resistance debuffs (with AP Beta)

Protonic Arsenal: More photon and proton damage and EPW compatibility with good cannon abilities

Gravity Well: Exotic damage and hold = lower defense, fewer dodges

Tractor Beam: Holds + Kinetic damage

Directed Energy Modulation: More chances to ignore shields

Emergency Power to WEapons: Damage bonus

Warbird = Decloak Alpha

Romulan/Reman Boffs: +Crit, longer Decloak Alpha

Attack Pattern Alpha + Go Down Fighting + Tactical Fleet + Tac Initative: More tac abilities, HP-based damage boost + even more damage boosts

And so on.

The results felt absolutely unfair. Even in a 9-console freebie ship I was vaping heavy Voth ships in 10% of the time it took my fully decked-out Antiproton fleet avenger with A2B double-Beam Overload madness to kill them.

Power Overwhelming.

BUT of course that took a lot of work to truly specialize in that relatively small niche of damage. Would I do better against normal ships instead of Voth? I can't say, but I FELT like a grim reaper, dealing hot purple death at will, and to me that's what matters most.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    That was a great post, thanks. And many other good points made by others on this thread. I appreciate all the responses to my question.

I'm the first to admit that, even after some years playing this game, I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to builds. I'm strictly a PvEer and, as others have noted, selection pressure is not exactly high in that aspect of the game - but that's what I enjoy. And as the last poster surmised, I mostly just want to feel effective and/or competent. (Being able to keep to some kind of "theme" is good too, and not just 'cause it means only stocking one sort of console.)

I also acknowledge that most of the notional effectiveness of this build would be against Voth ships... and frankly, I don't shoot at them very often anymore, nor plan to. I earn my Dyson marks on the ground. So this was more a matter of, "how expensive will it be to kit out my freebie Dyson the way the set bonuses seem to imply I should, and will I embarrass myself if I do and take it into other PvE battles?"
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Protopols can either be really cheap, or really expensive, depending on your luck of the draw. If you draw the right boxes, the price can be cheap as free. If you are not lucky enough to get a working set of them, the price climbs by a factor of about infinity. It remains to be seen how Season 9 will address that (can we continue to get boxes?).

So, if you're lucky and have a working set of them, give it a try, it costs you nothing. If not...well, I can't justify paying an infinity% premium on top of that. The cost of trying to complete a set from the rep store is about infinity times higher than the boxes, which is just insane.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well, S9 is going to change everything, but currently you can turn in your Dyson Commendation once every 20 hours and get a free box still.

I didn't realize that for a while, and had a few built up.

And Snoggy hit the nail on the head about DPS. With no context its meaning is lost.

I can run my FAW boat all day long in ISE and "win" but I don't necessarily consider that more effective for most situations. Burst is many times more important in a PvP situation, and burst AE has the potential to be so much more valuable then sustained AE but it never gets a mention (Until you manage to pull every damned thing into the middle and pop the scimmy at the end of a fleet alert before it can cloak... then people notice!)

It is sadly working on pushing me back into my Avenger as a PvP healboat. As much as I love my dread I miss my burst. The burst is so important that I am choosing to be worse at healing, sustained DPS, and surviability at the same time just to get my hands on it (And I *LOVE* my Galaxies, so its doubly painful to say... At least my ADD will keep me ship hopping back to it, and I'm still a nightmare in my dread)

But a burster won't rank on a ISE parse... even tho they have the most potential to wield death around.
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard