test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PS4 version?

seraphantillesseraphantilles Member Posts: 97 Arc User
I saw that a version of DC's superhero MMO made it to PS4. Any chance Cryptic is working on something like this? I'd love to see that. You could even sell it with a hardware keyboard with trackpad built in, with custom key graphics etc. Could be awesome Cryptic...!
Post edited by seraphantilles on

Comments

• tiekosoratiekosora Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The reason DCUO is going to the PS4, is because Sony owns both. Way way back when this game was in alpha still, word finally came about that this game would never be ported to a console. The reasons were varied, but one of the primary concerns was that both Sony and Microsoft have a tendency to want to run their own diagnostics on any software updates or patches, leaving the console players behind PC players. This would be especially important should the patch be for an exploit. Of course, the most important reason, was money, specifically licensing.
    18EOWbV.jpg

They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    askray wrote: »

yep....for most PWE games maybe.

But STO? no, never will it go to the consoles as they are now....maybe in the future when consoles evolve to the Steam OS option, where Playstation and Xbox would be preffered OS's.

but right now the consoles are restrictive, rule ridden, brickwalled and not safe for MMO's that haven't been overhauled to work with said consoles.

also, power trays, etc there are a finite amount of buttons, it took me five days to assign every function in STO to branching buttons, A+RT let me get tray 1 etc
  • sudonamisudonami Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    wow. your just now finding out about DCUO for ps4? that has been out on ps3 for a long time now. Nothing new.
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    sudonami wrote: »
    wow. your just now finding out about DCUO for ps4? that has been out on ps3 for a long time now. Nothing new.

I'm going to ask a serious question - how is DCUO still running? I played it once and found it very poor.
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Legal and money issues aside, would you want STO on the PS4?

I mean, just think of something as simple as making the alpha strike. Tac fleet+APAlpha+Tac team+Fire on my Mark+Tactical initiative+tac team+cannon abilites/beam abilities/torpedo abilities/mine abilities+attack patterns.

Just think of having to activate all those abilities by manually changing your icon positioner and spamming the A button. By the time you will have everything activated, the first abilities will have worn off.

Personally, I believe STO is not designed for a console environment. There is simply too much to pay attention to.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    Personally, I believe STO is not designed for a console environment. There is simply too much to pay attention to.
    This and this.

There is only 2 ways. Either make a bad STO version on console, that is barely playable, unless you plug a mouse and a keyboard, but then, why play on a console ? Or dumb it down on pc, so you can make it work on console.

The second path is usually the one devs choose. Just play skyrim or any bethesda game on PC, or capcom games. And the list go on. On some you have to deal with an horrible UI and inventory, on others, with a poorly adapted controls. At least with bethesda games you can download mods that get rid of the horrible inventory management.

Also, patching on console is a paying feature for devs. It cost a lot of money. I don't want to have a lot more patch because cryptic have to pay everytime.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited April 2014
    yep....for most PWE games maybe.

But STO? no, never will it go to the consoles as they are now....maybe in the future when consoles evolve to the Steam OS option, where Playstation and Xbox would be preffered OS's.

but right now the consoles are restrictive, rule ridden, brickwalled and not safe for MMO's that haven't been overhauled to work with said consoles.

also, power trays, etc there are a finite amount of buttons, it took me five days to assign every function in STO to branching buttons, A+RT let me get tray 1 etc

Steam OS is not a console and this game already works in linux with wine and POL.
    so realistically you can already play this game on your large TV with a controller.
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tobar26th wrote: »
    I'm going to ask a serious question - how is DCUO still running? I played it once and found it very poor.

Batman.

/10char
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Using a controller is not really an issue for STO. I have been using one since July of last year, since I cannot sit up due to health problems. With 16 useable buttons, any being able to map to 2-3 button combinations, I can have any number of combinations. Even using a single button to activate up to 10 skills is no problem.

To be able to do an alpha strike, you just put your skills that have the longest activation time where they activate first, then just keep spamming the button. It is no different than someone spamming the fire button when they want to attack.

If I want to just link a couple skills Toa single button, I can do that also, so that they activate separately. The combinations are so varied that I can have so many combinations on my controller.

I even have buttons for my menu, map, UI, inventory, fleet window, PVE window, missions window, well, everything that you can open with a mouse, I can open with my controller.

Therefore, using a controller is not an issue, and the game will not need to be dumb down for that reason. The only thing I can think of that will need some help is the fact that consoles might not be able to keep up with computers as far as processing, and when a game reaches the point where computers can be upgraded to keep up with advances, consoles are left behind.

That is part of the reason I am not getting anymore consoles. You buy a sealed box tat you are not suppose to upgrade, no backwards compatibility for ones that like old games also, and you reach a point where you sit there watching computers advance, and get upgraded, and the console just sits there, till the company decides to make an upgraded version that happens so far apart.

Consoles are being made to be more and more like computers, it is just more cost efficient to buy a PC with a video card to hook up to your TV.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • eeh19eeh19 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    come on guys cryptic cant get this game right on pc for just ova 4 years like sony is even gona let the try and console port it.....lolz
  • gerudongerudon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I saw that a version of DC's superhero MMO made it to PS4. Any chance Cryptic is working on something like this? I'd love to see that. You could even sell it with a hardware keyboard with trackpad built in, with custom key graphics etc. Could be awesome Cryptic...!

Why would anyone even ASK such a question, I don't get it. Does ANYONE really believe there is any possibility for this EVER to happen? :D
  • adorenkoadorenko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Won't happen. Even if it were to happen, your account would not be on the Sony network. Look at Blizzard and Diablo 3, both Sony and Xbox would not allow Blizzard to have their accounts come over to their servers
    Looking for more info on Dilithium Rising? Click on the link below:

[SIGPIC]Click here to visit my STO YouTube channel[/SIGPIC]
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    rahmkota19 wrote: »

I mean, just think of something as simple as making the alpha strike. Tac fleet+APAlpha+Tac team+Fire on my Mark+Tactical initiat

Most of mmorpgs arent. That will be always the restriction of the videoconsoles. And unless you plug a mouse and a keyboard on the console.. some games are just impossible to play with a gamepad.

I sometimes wonder how some people can play fps games, for example in a videoconsole using a gamepad.. its just really funny. Or strategy games.. its just ridiculous.

But usually, people that are ok with this are people that have not real experience playing pc games. They will keep saying "nah, i play really good with a gamepad.." , without knowing the REAL difference and advangaje that it is to play with a keyboard / mouse.

Not to mention, even in the year 2014, still is not so easy to port a game like STO to a console. Its really really hard. For the requirements, and the vast space represented. A lot of games with such extension played in pc are not even half when they are ported to a console. Happened millions of times. And im afraid STO will be one of those cases.
    edited April 2014
    I think it is funny that this thread started about DCUO. Blacklight: Retribution is on PS4, and that is a PWE game. Not cryptic but still PWE and makes much more sense to bring up for this topic.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    First, we know that NWN is being converted for the Console - as well as being converted for the Asian market. There was a thread about this a few weeks ago.

Second, less people forget, the original plan for STO was to be PC and Console - all the original development for STO was built with that in mind before it fell through. I do not believe a Console version is going to be as complicated to implement as some think it is. There are many different ways you can set up key bind strings to do several actions with one button push.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • toznogtoznog Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    First, we know that NWN is being converted for the Console - as well as being converted for the Asian market. There was a thread about this a few weeks ago.

Second, less people forget, the original plan for STO was to be PC and Console - all the original development for STO was built with that in mind before it fell through. I do not believe a Console version is going to be as complicated to implement as some think it is. There are many different ways you can set up key bind strings to do several actions with one button push.
    Plus it's not just about the cost of the initial conversion, it's then the financial commitment required to maintain new consoles.
  • risingstar2009risingstar2009 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    With previous consoles, namely PS2/3, XBox 360, it wasn't feasible to port this game over because of how their OS's worked, the system restrictions, and how Sony and Microsoft just don't really get along with most other companies when it comes to online games such as this. It also had to deal with the different system architectures that they previously used as well. PowerSpec platforms are almost as bad as Apple when it came to software and hardware.

With the new architectures, I think it could be possible if PWE/Cryptic/CBS and Sony/Microsoft came to a deal that everyone could agree on. System requirements for STO are not as high as some other MMO's and the new generation of Consoles have more than enough power to run it. Only thing I see where the snag there would be the OS the two systems use (XB One uses a Windows Variant and PS4 is based on Linux which is not fully supported by Cryptic yet).

The last snag would be the Online Requirement. With XBox, you have to be a Gold member to play games over the internet. I believe Sony doesn't require this, but gives more bandwidth/higher priority to those who are paying subscribers. Something would have to be offered to the player to compensate them for paying twice (Internet and Gold Access) to play the game.
    Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tobar26th wrote: »

Probably for the same reason why some people ask how is STO still running, IP. You get to fight with Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, etc. to fight Lex Luther, Doomsday, Bizzaro Superman, Doomsday, etc. or the other way around. There is not much difference between being able to fight in a Galaxy ship against the Borg or fighting with Superman in Metropolis.
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    With previous consoles, namely PS2/3, XBox 360, it wasn't feasible to port this game over because of how their OS's worked, the system restrictions, and how Sony and Microsoft just don't really get along with most other companies when it comes to online games such as this. It also had to deal with the different system architectures that they previously used as well. PowerSpec platforms are almost as bad as Apple when it came to software and hardware.

With the new architectures, I think it could be possible if PWE/Cryptic/CBS and Sony/Microsoft came to a deal that everyone could agree on. System requirements for STO are not as high as some other MMO's and the new generation of Consoles have more than enough power to run it. Only thing I see where the snag there would be the OS the two systems use (XB One uses a Windows Variant and PS4 is based on Linux which is not fully supported by Cryptic yet).

The last snag would be the Online Requirement. With XBox, you have to be a Gold member to play games over the internet. I believe Sony doesn't require this, but gives more bandwidth/higher priority to those who are paying subscribers. Something would have to be offered to the player to compensate them for paying twice (Internet and Gold Access) to play the game.

You need Playstation plus to play online with the PS4.
    edited April 2014
    zipagat wrote: »
    You need Playstation plus to play online with the PS4.

Not for all games. Warframe, blacklight, and planetside two are all free to play online without psplus. If sto was to go to PS4, it would be free like those as well because it is free on pc, and sony said that themselves about all f2p pc games.
    edited April 2014

the architectures aside, it won't be feesable, I can't see how or why it would make PWE money to have an entirely new development and maitinence team for a console version of STO, they wouldn't be on the same servers as PC, they would have to buy and expend resources for a new Server.

also the factor that PS4 and Xbone have even more restrictions than their predecessors, though what people see in the news may be different, I read the Developer software and Matinence TOA, that thing is riddled with "do not do this without us saying so" kind of restrictions, so updating the already buggy game weekly would be topsy turvy for them.

finally STO was marketed at first (beta) to be PC and Console, but that is never going to happen now, too much has been done to the engine and the game is too large for consoles to manage right now, maybe when the game was smaller and had some controller support just fresh off the code it was concievable. but right now it will never go to the consoles.

and also, from a PC elitist who's built five steamboxes and two windows cubes, Consoles are a rapidly dying breed, their hardware as is right now is already outdated (xbone more than ps4) they are becoming more of a style option and less of a functional system. as it stands, the steam os option which is now more of an early evolution of what consoles will become.

IE Playstation, and Xbox Operating Systems for some price, and third party hardware companies making nice little systems at a prefference and marketable price. this is at most two years away, given how everything has progressed in the last few years. with that in mind, why switch to an ever slowing entity when they can stick with an ever eternal entity?
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This engine is not advanced enough to go on something like the PS4. They would have to start from almost scratch in terms of programming probably.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • xsupersnailxxsupersnailx Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If STO went to a console version it certainly wouldn't be the PS4, it'd probably be XB1
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    This engine is not advanced enough to go on something like the PS4. They would have to start from almost scratch in terms of programming probably.
    I would only point out that NWNs and STO use the same Cryptic Engine with only minor differences based on game needs, and that NWNs is going Console.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited April 2014
    If STO went to a console version it certainly wouldn't be the PS4, it'd probably be XB1

that's true, least then we'd have voice commands to assist.

though i really wish STO had one for normal PC microphones
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I would only point out that NWNs and STO use the same Cryptic Engine with only minor differences based on game needs, and that NWNs is going Console.

Are they going next gen or PS3/Xbox 360?
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think it would be better if they were to start over with a new STO just for consoles. The system they are using with the PC version is a good one, but it is 4 years old. It would be hard for them to update the one they are using now for PC.

Therefore, going to console will give them a chance to start over, and so things they cannot do now with the system used on PCs. In fact, there are skills and powers that can be redone to make things more equally balanced in the game. Not to mention, it can even give them the ability to redo the PVP system so that it can be more balanced.

It will take more time and resources to do start over from the beginning. However, with the cost of Zen, and the Dilithium exchange rate, it will bring them a good source of income because of how many people are still using consoles.

Tim.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
    edited April 2014
    razar2380 wrote: »
    I think it would be better if they were to start over with a new STO just for consoles. The system they are using with the PC version is a good one, but it is 4 years old. It would be hard for them to update the one they are using now for PC.

Therefore, going to console will give them a chance to start over, and so things they cannot do now with the system used on PCs. In fact, there are skills and powers that can be redone to make things more equally balanced in the game. Not to mention, it can even give them the ability to redo the PVP system so that it can be more balanced.

It will take more time and resources to do start over from the beginning. However, with the cost of Zen, and the Dilithium exchange rate, it will bring them a good source of income because of how many people are still using consoles.

Tim.

eh.....you must not know how many are really still on and the cost it would take to do a full console rebuild, not to mention the demographic. At that point it'd be better and cheaper just to stick with PC. at least then they'd still have the freedom and already exsitsing servers. consoles are just too restricitve, and are the equivilent of trying to sell someone a G1 iPad.