test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic: Ripped TOS Uniform?

jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
Seriously how did we get Khan's less-than-a-minute-worn welding mask thing before one of the most iconic looks in Trek history? How did we get the Voyager racing uniform we say in one single solitary episode before this? How did we get the damned Vedek outfits before this!? I am genuinely gobstopped at this thought!

The battle-damaged uniform is a standby of Trek, and none moreso than the TOS uniforms Kirk so wantonly destroyed!

How do you devs sleep at night knowing we can't play Coliseum, which you went the extra mile already on to add the instantly recognizable battle music from Amok Time, in a properly distressed uniform?

Surely you've dropped the ball! 550 for what is basically a slight edit to an existing outfit! Minimal work and you reap all the benefits and I guarantee more than just me would pay for it!

This and the Skant are the only two things I really want.

...well, the only two things that aren't ridiculously skimpy female-of-the-week outfits, but centersolace already has dibs on that crusade and I don't wanna step on any toes.
Post edited by jexsamx on

Comments

• tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Seriously how did we get Khan's less-than-a-minute-worn welding mask thing before one of the most iconic looks in Trek history? How did we get the Voyager racing uniform we say in one single solitary episode before this? How did we get the damned Vedek outfits before this!? I am genuinely gobstopped at this thought!

The battle-damaged uniform is a standby of Trek, and none moreso than the TOS uniforms Kirk so wantonly destroyed!

How do you devs sleep at night knowing we can't play Coliseum, which you went the extra mile already on to add the instantly recognizable battle music from Amok Time, in a properly distressed uniform?

Surely you've dropped the ball! 550 for what is basically a slight edit to an existing outfit! Minimal work and you reap all the benefits and I guarantee more than just me would pay for it!

...well, the only two things that aren't ridiculously skimpy female-of-the-week outfits, but centersolace already has dibs on that crusade and I don't wanna step on any toes.
    If I may expand on this, and criticise slightly.

You've got it wrong.

This needs to be a pack in the vein of the Open Jackets pack whereby it includes a couple of unique 'torn jackets' and allows you to use town versions of say the Jupiter uniforms, or the Sierra uniforms.

Upgrades are better than whole new outfits for things like this :)
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I've got some major thoughts on a costume revamp I may eventually get around to posting.

But I'd be curious how DCUO's numbers are with their DLC because one thing I see there is that their costume/power packs are heavily centered on a character even if they don't use the character's likeness.

I think that could definitely be a way to look at things going forward here and would tie into uniforms like ripped shirt TOS uniform, rolled up sleeves DS9/Voyager uniforms (ala O'Brien), lab coat (ala Crusher), toolbelt (ala Torres).

Instead of new costumes all the time, I can see an appeal to subtle variants, packed with ground and space traits (I'd see it as a passive of each and an activatable trait which could be either), maybe a stance, all centered around a character theme.

I think a part of what they need to look at first is revamping the cultivatable species traits to fit more with the activatable rep traits.

Personally (and this is probably controversial), I think all activatable traits should be slotted into the 4 activatable trait slots. Species activatable traits should be buffed. And activatable traits should feel more like console abilities. With an eye towards things like the Picard Maneuver being handled as activated traits rather than consoles.

I could see that tying in with the ripped shirt TOS look because that's a great CHARACTER/MOMENT inspired costume that I could see being bundled with a passive trait, an active trait, an activated trait, and maybe a class universal kit power. That way you don't just wear the costume but buying it lets you really get a full ripped shirt Kirk experience.

Would also be nice to see BO traits and abilities get revamped to use the new Captain trait system and kit modules actually slotted on BOs rather than trained abilities. (And I guess that also probably means introducing space kits to replace space abilities. Same powers but slotted rather than trained, for consistency's sake.)
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jexsamx wrote: »

... how do we get Jem'hadar rifles but no TNG phaser rifles?
    ... how do we get Bajoran weapons but no TNG era phasers?
    ... how do we get a t5 D'kyr but no T5 constitution?
    ... how do we have TOS phaser pistols in 2409 +, but none of the TNG era weapons?
    ... how do we get felt 100 fed ships but still no K'Vort cruiser?

only the devs know...
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Incidentally, I could see if not a Kirk themed pack, a "rough and tumble" pack with minor face cuts, bruising, a character stance that has an injured/combat look, ripped shirt, maybe Pike/Mirror Tucker radiation burns for the face. Second scar slot. A hyperventilating character stance.

And then traits bundled in that back that concept up. The injured/wounded/hunted captain. Some kind of perception/dodge buff. A melee buff. Double fisted hand club universal kit power. Maybe an activated trait where you sit down (and become more flanking prone) and hyper ventilate more while recovering health very rapidly.
  • l30p4rdl30p4rd Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Your first mistake was thinking the dev's knew what they were doing. Your second mistake was wanting what you want. Your third mistake was expecting the devs to use reason and your final mistake was thinking they care about Star Trek and not profit !

Unless the groovy ideas they come up with have a "CHA CHING" at the end dont even think about it getting a single thought, let alone a discussion !
  • darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Haven't people asked for the bloody handprint with the Wrath of Khan jacket open version?

I'd also say we should get the typical Kirk blood drop off the side of the mouth he sported in so many episodes.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    l30p4rd wrote: »
    Your first mistake was thinking the dev's knew what they were doing. Your second mistake was wanting what you want. Your third mistake was expecting the devs to use reason and your final mistake was thinking they care about Star Trek and not profit !

Unless the groovy ideas they come up with have a "CHA CHING" at the end dont even think about it getting a single thought, let alone a discussion !

Star Trek online in a nutshell.

Problem is above all the "not knowing what they do" part, since a lot of requested stuff could make money "CHA CHING" if done right...
  • greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It was not added because to be true to canon, it would make people far too overpowered.