test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Camera Offset

straengestraenge Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2014 in The Academy
So I was curious today and haven't found any information on the subject. /camoffset adjusts the camera from left to right but, at least for space, is there any way to adjust up and down with a similar command line? Some ships I have noticed feel like the camera would be better if it was lower and the ship higher on the screen (like many Romulan ships, imo) and trying to see if that is possible.
Post edited by straenge on

Comments

• edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I dont think so. I was trying to just extend the zoom of the camera, because its impossible to play with big ships in some situations (seriously guys, how the hell you fly big ships?, i will never understand), and i failed. The camera cant be touched, so, my guess is, if the zoom cant be extended, i dont think the camera offset can be moved up or down. Its another reason to not play with big ships, not until cryptic do something about the camera. Of course they never will, thats the reason i always avoid to play with big ships. Its really uncomfortable.
  • straengestraenge Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I dont think so. I was trying to just extend the zoom of the camera, because its impossible to play with big ships in some situations (seriously guys, how the hell you fly big ships?, i will never understand), and i failed. The camera cant be touched, so, my guess is, if the zoom cant be extended, i dont think the camera offset can be moved up or down. Its another reason to not play with big ships, not until cryptic do something about the camera. Of course they never will, thats the reason i always avoid to play with big ships. Its really uncomfortable.

It's funny though that on my KDF ships or even larger Fed ships, I don't see the issue nearly as much as I do with Romulan ships. It's almost like all the ships camera sits 2-3 points higher and causes the ship to look like it's almost too low. I know part of the issue is the Romulan Singularity window but I moved that to the side as it was annoying having it covering half the ship. I just hoped there was an Y offset instead of just Z. I would think it would be available, even if not often used.
    edited April 2014
    straenge wrote: »
    It's funny though that on my KDF ships or even larger Fed ships, I don't see the issue nearly as much as I do with Romulan ships. It's almost like all the ships camera sits 2-3 points higher and causes the ship to look like it's almost too low. I know part of the issue is the Romulan Singularity window but I moved that to the side as it was annoying having it covering half the ship. I just hoped there was an Y offset instead of just Z. I would think it would be available, even if not often used.

Well, if you had your boff tray just under your ship, like i do, you will find that most of the times, piloting big ships , the shields will just overlap the boff tray. And i want a little space between my ship and my skill tray, like when you are in sector space. I dont understand why the camera cant be zoomed as far as the sector space version.
    edited April 2014
    I think it would be possible, if cryptic could make a little effort. But well, knowing cryptic.. it is a really long shot.

But i dont understand, sometimes when i enter in a system, the camera is far away, like it should be, and suddenly after a few seconds, the max zoom is reseted and i have my ship under my noise. Why lol.
  • micadog5micadog5 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    '/camdist <#>' can extend the camera quite far if you use high numbers, even big enough that you can't even see the map you're on, in some cases. (it changes the zoom of the camera)

Has a habit of breaking and slowly coming back to where you put it originally though. Could probably bind it to a key and just tap that key when you notice the camera starting to come back. Just a suggestion.

I think the up/down thing about Rom ships compared to Fed/Klink ships is that their 'origin' (centre of the 3 rotation axis) is in different locations, so the ship with a lower origin looks higher onscreen as it is focused on the origin, and vice versa. Could be totally wrong here.

Haven't found anything on how to move the camera up/down yet, or if it is even possible.
    edited April 2014
    micadog5 wrote: »
    '/camdist <#>' can extend the camera quite far if you use high numbers, even big enough that you can't even see the map you're on, in some cases. (it changes the zoom of the camera)

Has a habit of breaking and slowly coming back to where you put it originally though. Could probably bind it to a key and just tap that key when you notice the camera starting to come back. Just a suggestion.

I think the up/down thing about Rom ships compared to Fed/Klink ships is that their 'origin' (centre of the 3 rotation axis) is in different locations, so the ship with a lower origin looks higher onscreen as it is focused on the origin, and vice versa. Could be totally wrong here.

Haven't found anything on how to move the camera up/down yet, or if it is even possible.

Ive tried with the /camdist command time ago, and as you said, at least in my case it never worked, since automatically the game resets the camera to its original values. In my case that happens a few seconds after i enter the command.

I was playing with the Hakpak advanced warbird, and its really a hell to play with those ships. Almost 1/3 of my ship was under my boff skil tray :mad:, im really frustrated with this, since i cant enjoy some of my ships. :(
  • kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Scroll the wheel on your mouse. Or I think it's the + - keys. I know I looked everywhere for that info when I started too.
  • straengestraenge Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kozar2 wrote: »
    Scroll the wheel on your mouse. Or I think it's the + - keys. I know I looked everywhere for that info when I started too.

Not sure what you are referring to but that is just basic zooming in and out, at least for myself. What I am referring to is the default camera placement center for your ship. Some ships, mainly Romulan, are much lower than others.

I tried the camdist command but just didn't really do much, at least for myself. I guess it's just one of those things that I have to get used to.
    edited April 2014
    straenge wrote: »
    Not sure what you are referring to but that is just basic zooming in and out, at least for myself. What I am referring to is the default camera placement center for your ship. Some ships, mainly Romulan, are much lower than others.

I tried the camdist command but just didn't really do much, at least for myself. I guess it's just one of those things that I have to get used to.

Yup, that guy must assume we are really noob and we cant even figure it out how to zoom in and zoom out.. lol.

Thats not the problem.

The /camdist seem to work, but there is a problem.

When you first use this command, it will reset to the original view once you engage in combat. After you engage in combat, if you activate the command again, it will keep the value until you leave the system.

I used the [/bind <key> "/camdist 300"] to assing it to a key, so i only need to press that key when i am in combat to stabilish the zoom. But of course i need to do that every time i am in mission space and after i engaged some ships.

This could work for you too, its not what you want, but at least you will have more space under your ship. NOW, i know for a fact that values more than 300 will not work almost all of the times. It seems that the limit the camera zoom can handle without reverting to its original values its about 300.