test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Revamp the STO engine!

cavaleriuscavalerius Member Posts: 126 Arc User
We're always hearing comments about how something cannot be done in the STO game because of its "outdated game engine," and the diverse yet largely obsolete functions it provides. Well, there's a simple (and yet not so simple) way to solve this problem.

Support & Demand a new game engine!

It would be a lot of work, hell just look at the coding for a simple game of Solitaire; but it can be done, otherwise Cryptic wouldn't have their 'Cryptic Engine.' Steal ( sorry, buy) another already existing engine or design a brand new one. As long as we get a Star Trek Online game which features new content not restricted by the game engine and not bug ridden.
Beta Antares Shipyards advanced Starship development project.
CLASSIFIED
[SIGPIC]the_forseeable_future_by_jetfreak_7-d3dvsud.png
[/SIGPIC]
SUPPORT LOGICAL FEDERATION STARSHIP DESIGNS!
Post edited by cavalerius on

Comments

• centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's constantly being reworked. Come back in three years, then we will talk.
  • raythilo2345raythilo2345 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ya I feel Sto isnt Star Trek anymore

I definitely don't see the "to explore strange new worlds or seek out new civilizations" part of Star Trek
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited April 2014

I definitely don't see the "to explore strange new worlds or seek out new civilizations" part of Star Trek

been feeling this since i joined but!! its still Trek and more so than Jar Jar Trek too
    JtaDmwW.png
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    cavalerius wrote: »
    We're always hearing comments about how something cannot be done in the STO game because of its "outdated game engine," and the diverse yet largely obsolete functions it provides.
    Always? I haven't heard it in a while, actually.

It would be a lot of work, hell just look at the coding for a simple game of Solitaire; but it can be done, otherwise Cryptic wouldn't have their 'Cryptic Engine.' Steal ( sorry, buy) another already existing engine or design a brand new one. As long as we get a Star Trek Online game which features new content not restricted by the game engine and not bug ridden.
    A "new game engine" to get rid of the bugs in the current one would be like completely rebuilding a house because you don't like how close the stove is to the kitchen sink. And then buying new, similar-looking furniture to fit in your house because the old stuff doesn't fit back through the new doorways.

They can and have updated the engine and other programming to work out certain bugs and to introduce features that weren't available (or even possible) in older builds.

There is no easy, bug-proof engine that will feature new unrestricted content and keep all of the old content.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Redesigning a game isn't half as easy or simple as it might sound; not that it sounds easy or simple. Such a feat would require a lot out of the staff, and, for the moment at least, the game plays.

If they went about reworking (or creating a new) game engine, they'd not be making money. The game engine will likely get remade if/when the current engine simply can't keep up with what they're releasing. At the moment, the engine we've got does the job that Cryptic seem to want it to do, thus I doubt it'll be looked at.

I'd like to be wrong. :)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    We're always hearing comments about how something cannot be done in the STO game because of its "outdated game engine," and the diverse yet largely obsolete functions it provides. Well, there's a simple (and yet not so simple) way to solve this problem.

will never happen in this lifetime or space time continuum. i cant see pwe investing that much money and resources on rebuilding the game engine from the ground up.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think it's just an excuse.. Plus, do you really want another Month Of Maintenance?
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    And lose people who run the game on computers that can only just run the current engine? Surely you jest!

I'm pretty sure STO isn't popular or profitable enough to justify a new engine. I suspect the only way we'll get one, is with STO 2.
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It can take a team of 10 programmers 5 years to fully develop a working client.

Not feasible in the slightest. You ever wonder why MMOs are in development literally years before even their beta tests?
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • denizenvidenizenvi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Umm, most of the explanations aren't that the 'outdated engine' is the problem, but that the engine just doesn't do something right now, and it wouldn't be worth the programmer time to add it.

Making a new engine would require tons of programmer time, and would thus be even less practical than adding functionality to the current engine. It isn't that the engine makes certain things impossible. It's that making it do things differently takes time, and for that matter, re-tooling the whole engine would take even more time.
    Take a look at my Foundry missions!

Conjoined
    , Re-emergence, and . . .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014
    It can take a team of 10 programmers 5 years to fully develop a working client.

Not feasible in the slightest. You ever wonder why MMOs are in development literally years before even their beta tests?

Because, surprise, surprise, MMO's are hard. :P
  • jbmaverickjbmaverick Member Posts: 935 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The X series of games by Egosoft are a good example of using an engine that's "out of date" and still managing to make a pretty good game. The first game in the series was released in 1999 and the engine was in continued use until X3: Albion Prelude released in 2011. That's not to say the game engine remained entirely the same, it was obviously updated and altered as time went by to keep up with the march of new computer tech and capabilities, as well as adding new features, but the base engine was still there. The engine was obviously showing signs of age at that point, and expanding on it further really just wasn't feasible anymore, so with X: Rebirth they finally built a new engine, and that took 7 years to develop and release.

If Cryptic were to develop a new engine for STO, they would pretty much have to stop all development on the current iteration and focus entirely on the new engine if they wanted it out in a "timely" manner. And no new development in an MMO for several years is pretty much a death sentence.

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
    edited April 2014
    jbmaverick wrote: »
    The X series of games by Egosoft are a good example of using an engine that's "out of date" and still managing to make a pretty good game. The first game in the series was released in 1999 and the engine was in continued use until X3: Albion Prelude released in 2011. That's not to say the game engine remained entirely the same, it was obviously updated and altered as time went by to keep up with the march of new computer tech and capabilities, as well as adding new features, but the base engine was still there. The engine was obviously showing signs of age at that point, and expanding on it further really just wasn't feasible anymore, so with X: Rebirth they finally built a new engine, and that took 7 years to develop and release.

If Cryptic were to develop a new engine for STO, they would pretty much have to stop all development on the current iteration and focus entirely on the new engine if they wanted it out in a "timely" manner. And no new development in an MMO for several years is pretty much a death sentence.

Or we could wind up with the horror that is the Source Engine. :rolleyes:
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    Redesigning a game isn't half as easy or simple as it might sound;

Actually, it doesn't sound easy at all to me! :D

- - - - - - -

Face it, if they remake STO it will be called STO2 and all of our stuff will not transfer over. LTS will be negated (You are a Lifer on STO not STO2) :P and all the Zen you spent and Dil you made will not matter at all. The Free players will go over w/o a problem but most of the players invested in it will say FU and leave.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2014
    Not going to happen. No game has ever converted to a new engine. Games have had sequels made on a different engine, but the game is so intertwined with the engine that it's not feasible to separate the two. You basically have to throw everything out and start over, and if you're doing that, you might as well make a new game.

Now, our engine has a fair few limitations. Those are due to many factors (Being an MMO, Supporting low end machines, Decisions made early on, etc.), but it is what it is. We can, and have, and will again, improve the engine as we move forward. It is not a static thing.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited April 2014

you mean of course cryptics version of star trek. to destroy every world, and kill everything. yeah,

I agree, sto has never really been trek.. its just a general sci fi that happens to look like trek.
  • admiralkristovadmiralkristov Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Not going to happen. No game has ever converted to a new engine. Games have had sequels made on a different engine, but the game is so intertwined with the engine that it's not feasible to separate the two. You basically have to throw everything out and start over, and if you're doing that, you might as well make a new game.

Now, our engine has a fair few limitations. Those are due to many factors (Being an MMO, Supporting low end machines, Decisions made early on, etc.), but it is what it is. We can, and have, and will again, improve the engine as we move forward. It is not a static thing.

So you can't just turn the engine TRIBBLE to eleven then?
  • greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Newer shops already look better than older ones as far as model quality goes (actual ship design is something else). The issue is not the engine not being updated, but models not bring updated to what the engine can do now. Graphically anyway.

New functionality will be added as needed.
  • unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So you can't just turn the engine TRIBBLE to eleven then?

Of course they can! It's a conspiracy to put one over on us because, as we know, all developers are lazy and this is why anything we don't like happens! Because they're lazy and can't pull themselves up by their bootstraps! Return to the Gold Pressed Latinum Standard! Ron Paul 2409! ;)

Seriously, demanding an all-new engine may as well be demanding Star Trek Online 2! I might not mind such a thing, but frankly, that's the kind of pipe dream to reserve for 2020.

And hey, has anyone noticed that WoW is ten years old and still runs on the same engine? Or that both SWTOR and the Elder Scrolls Online run on the same 2-year old HeroEngine platform? Or that EVE Online also runs on the same engine it did when it debuted?

All of these games have been updated up the wazoo, but none of them have actually traded in one engine for another. The very same concerns that keep Blizzard trying to cater to low-end machines while still making graphical improvements are the ones that constrain Cryptic as well.
  • gurugeorgegurugeorge Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    An engine can be made to do whatever you want it to do, it just takes time and resources. Plus, beyond a certain point it's probably better to start from scratch.

People who talk trash about the Cryptic engine are know-nothings. Bearing in mind that an MMO engine isn't just about graphics but about handling an MMO in general, which is really, really difficult, the venerable Cryptic engine is one of the best around, and incredibly flexible, actually, and there aren't many that could do what it does even in STO, such as provide both ground and space combat.

Its earliest version, the CoH engine was mainly the product of one particular coding genius, and already way ahead of its time in what it could do in an MMO - full 3-d player controlled - i.e. flying - movement with combat, for example, or insane levels of customization. As a small comparison, even with a highly lauded and brilliant engine from top class developers, like the slightly later one in Guild Wars, you couldn't even jump, it only tracked movement and player control in 2 1/2 dimensions. Or consider how flight was only an on-rails travel option in WoW and most other MMOs, for ages, while CoH already had player-controlled superspeed, flight, superjump, etc. Or again, compare and contrast the difficulties CCP have had trying to make an engine that does both ground and space action in the same game. Seems simple, but really isn't.

And the Cryptic engine has already been the basis for 2 superhero MMOs, an s-f MMO and a traditional fantasy MMO, and even simply in terms of the relavitely unimportant criterion of graphics bells and whistles, there have been incremental improvements at each stage (even by modern graphics standards, Neverwinter looks pretty good). Quite an achievement really.

But yeah, it's getting long in the tooth, and while they could make it do whatever they wanted, given its age (especially the age of the version driving STO), it would probably take time and resources they evidently don't have, otherwise they would have done it already (e.g. things like being able to have multiplayer bridge action in combat, etc.)

So yeah, it's highly unlikely to happen, if ever. If one is interesting in seeing what a more modern game engine can do with the Star Trek theme, one is going to have to wait for UGC in Star Citizen.
    edited April 2014
    Or we could wind up with the horror that is the Source Engine. :rolleyes:

To be fair, all the work that Egosoft put into X:Rebirth's new engine seem to have fallen to the wayside since the game itself was pretty terrible in measuring up to the previous games. :P

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
  • donrahdonrah Member Posts: 348
    edited April 2014
    Actually, it doesn't sound easy at all to me! :D

- - - - - - -

Face it, if they remake STO it will be called STO2 and all of our stuff will not transfer over. LTS will be negated (You are a Lifer on STO not STO2) :P and all the Zen you spent and Dil you made will not matter at all. The Free players will go over w/o a problem but most of the players invested in it will say FU and leave.

I wouldn't care one bit that my progress on this game didn't carry over to a new one. Actually, I don't want it to because the current game is nothing but a grind. The quest design has no appeal for its own sake. Negate the Skill points, XP, EC, Dil, Marks, and Lobi and what incentive do you have to play PvE missions? None, because they all suck. The only thing that is halfway decent is the PvP and that's kneecapped because Cryptic/PWE can't figure out how to turn that into a way to print money, thus they leave it half finished.

It's not just the engine that needs to be revamped, it's the incentives too. It's been too long that it's assumed that an MMORPG is, at its core, all about grinding levels and items. Role playing is about playing a part in a narrative. A level system is just another type of gate to keep players from getting to the most powerful items and outclass the NPC's, which would make the game too easy and lead to boredom. There is another way, however. Start the player with everything they will ever have in the game. Give them access to every piece of gear there is and let them figure out how to use them to overcome an ever-changing series of challenges. Make the player "level-up" their mind about how to use what they have to solve obstacles. Basically, take what they're doing with the reputation/captain traits and apply something similar to the whole game. You get everything from the start, but you have to figure out how to combine them in the limited number of slots available to you. You might have 100+ items to put into your ship/captain/boffs, but they can only hold about 20 of them at any given time. Your ship can have attributes, but only enough points to seriously invest in about 50% to 75% of them. The same with captain attributes, lots of options, but you can't use them all.

So how does Cryptic/PWE make money on all of this? They sell convenience and vanity services. Sell transwarp "tokens", but make conventional space travel worthwhile. To really make those tokens worth something to players, introduce limited supplies like torpedo ammo, ship fuel, and so on that they need to either hike back to a starbase to replenish or find a suitable source of it through exploration. Selling new ships, of course, through the C-store. They should be balanced with the existing ships, yet provide a new set of play options. Also, there's always consumables. Batteries, stat boosts, etc., can be sold for truly microtransaction scale prices (like 100 zen for pack of 5 quad batteries, thus 20 batteries would be 400 zen; dual batteries would be 25 and singles would be 10).
    Go here and show your support for a better Foundry!
  • gralerongraleron Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Not going to happen. No game has ever converted to a new engine.
    CCP developed a new graphics engine in-house with a complete rework of all asset models when the original one started to age somewhat, and their server-side code probably looks nothing like what the game launched with. Then again, many people think of EVE as "spreadsheets in space" rather than a game...
    Vice Admiral Elaron, USS Hard Light
  • leyvinleyvin Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    gonalius wrote: »
    And lose people who run the game on computers that can only just run the current engine? Surely you jest!

I'm pretty sure STO isn't popular or profitable enough to justify a new engine. I suspect the only way we'll get one, is with STO 2.

To be fair part of the reason the current STO Engine is so damn demanding is because it is a very heavily modified version of the City of Heroes Engine... which was then modified again for Neverwinter.

This said, with Neverwinter the core game design actually is well suited to the engine so the main modifications (which most had been done for STO "TPS Action Combat") would've been a relatively small step compared to trying create a game that can do both ground combat and space combat in a relatively "open world arena" style environment.

I mean remember STO was originally suppose to have Procedural Planet, Map and Mission Generation within the "Exploration" Nebula ... which c'mon even Cryptic cannot for a second say that is close to what they originally conceptualised.

All of the new Content they've added and been praised for by since what Series 5 with the Episodic and 6 with the "Adventure Zones" realistically worked better because they'd moved away from even attempting to do Procedural Content in favour of traditional MMO style areas that are all carefully crafted.

And that honestly is the whole issue, because really the more they do that sure for those who just want a traditional MMO with a Star Trek skin that's fine ... but it really it loses what little it had that made it feel like Star Trek, and even from launch it was dangling by a thread in that respect.

I mean every 10 Levels (Ranks... w/e it's the same thing and not even going to go into how that annoys me) there would be an amazingly crafted mission that just felt like an episode of TNG or TOS - before having more mindless MMO Grinding, pointless "Go here and do these 3 things" type missions that were just bland.

Diplomacy getting added was suppose to be amazing, but honestly it was just a memory challenge with a multiple answer test at the end.... and there really wasn't any variety at all.

Now I'd like to believe (although to be honest I don't) that most of these shortfalls with the game are literally due to the limitations of the engine stifling the creativity to craft that more open world full of adventure and intrigue that well we were promised.

And I remember the pre-launch build-up, how Cryptic were all BIG Star Trek fans... they'd read everything they could get their hands on, watched every episode, all the movies and this was going to be the definitive continuation of the prime universe with nothing to do with that JJ Abrams trainwreck action film with Star Trek painted over it.

Outside of some Fan Service aspects, what we have is a relatively by-the-numbers MMO sure with a cool concept for Ship Combat that like those movies is just Star Trek painted.
    And sure I know there were a lot of people complaining about the length to reach "Endgame" and that there wasn't anything to do.... but again these are issues with a TRADITIONAL MMO with a Linear Progression System.

They did that to themselves, where in order to keep it interesting they have to keep adding content and power creeping content; with an engine that just gets ever more bloated and complex as they keep patching and hacking away to make it do what they need it to.

The sad thing in all of this is when the game was to go Free-to-Play, THAT was the opportune time to say "TRIBBLE it!" wipe the slate clean and rebuild the game from the ground up ... I mean at that point they already had basically had to custom write most of what they were doing, they had to rewrite foundry, the combat system, cut-scenes, etc...

Doing that would not only have the programmers busy redeveloping the engine, but also gives the artists a chance to move away from creating new content and go back to actually finish and polish the old content that needs it.

- - -

It won't happen though, frankly I accepted that really this is the actual vision Cryptic had when they took over STO... they don't want to shy away from traditional MMOs to bring an experience that is not only unique but gives that sense of intrigue and wonder that Star Trek imbues in so many people.

And that is frankly what this IP (as does Star Wars) need, a company working on it because they don't simply know of or enjoy the odd thing about the Franchise they're developing for but are at their hearts truly fans that understand that in order to properly allow it to feel like your part of that universe and be a great adaptation ... it NEEDS to be a far more unique experience.

Still we'll never get that, no Publisher or even Developer is likely to take that kind of risk especially with a franchise - they want to appeal to fans of a Genre not a Franchise.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Sure, let me get my Wand
    GwaoHAD.png
  • r5e4w3q2r5e4w3q2 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Didn't Anarchy Online change engines? It did take *years* to do though.

Edit to add:
    Apparently they still are not done changing over!

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?p=6159820
  • gurugeorgegurugeorge Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    graleron wrote: »
    CCP developed a new graphics engine in-house with a complete rework of all asset models when the original one started to age somewhat, and their server-side code probably looks nothing like what the game launched with. Then again, many people think of EVE as "spreadsheets in space" rather than a game...

Despite the superficial similarity, EVE is not a good comparison. Graphics are irrelevant, they're the easy part, although expensive time-and-resource-wise; and especially when you've got nothing to render but spaceships and a few gates and stations, changing engines isn't all that big of a deal. (CCP were of course quite cunning in limiting themselves that way.) Also, a submarines-in-space MMO with baked-in fluid mechanics and very little continuous/random player steering doesn't compare very well with the Cryptic engine's ability to track free player input in 3 dimensions across the internet. On the other hand, the baked-in nature of EVE's fluid mechanics is part of what enables it to handle massive battles - but then again, has EVE ever handled its massive battles to players' satisfaction (until TD, I guess)?

And in fact, it's notable that in the one area where CCP tried to genuinely innovate in EVE with their new engine - adding a ground-based element to gameplay - they've failed pretty spectacularly. And that's not just because space groignards - they'd have had far less trouble getting acceptance for their dream of a ground-based element in EVE, if the damn thing had worked out of the box, been more than one room with a door that never opens, and had some actual, functioning gameplay :)
  • blakegamer1blakegamer1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014

will someone tell me why the server is kicking me off every five sec's this is bull TRIBBLE i cant evan log in now the servers are so laggy
    edited April 2014
    will someone tell me why the server is kicking me off every five sec's this is bull TRIBBLE i cant evan log in now the servers are so laggy

In all likelihood, if it's only you or a limited number of people experiencing the problem, it's probably somewhere between you and Cryptic and not directly their fault. And even then, a new game engine wouldn't fix it.

• duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    why?

the only thing which could use a revamp is ground, i can imagine a firefall style (3rd person shooter) playstyle, but apart from that STO is pretty fine with what we got.