test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unnecessary repetition, marketing please help

zeddicuszeddzeddicuszedd Member Posts: 10 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Fleet System and Holdings
I understand that certain aspects of MMOs are repetitive. In my opinion, some of the fleet requirements are downright silly. For example, the fleet bartender project says you can use any 1000 drink / food items as inputs to meet this requirement. As far as I can tell, none of the food items can be purchased in any bulk. So you need to click 1000 times and then select are you sure you want to buy this, really 2000 clicks. I know I can use an 3rd party macro application to click for me but I really don’t want to install any unnecessary applications. As a side note, I also noticed the fleet bartender project does not recognize a large selection of drinks, for example Aldebaran Whiskey and Romulan Ale. Yes, I did open a bug report.

Marketing, please review some of the games silly repetitive requirements and consider some other alternative.

Thank you!
Post edited by zeddicuszedd on

Comments

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    At least it is not the old requirements of 250 Romulan Ale and 250 Dosi Rotgut for the Bartender project and 1000 Taspar Eggs and 1000 Klingon Hearts of Targ. 1000 Food/Drink compared to those requirements makes most of us not care about how many clicks we have to do. Besides, it is a fleet project so if you think 2000 clicks is too much, then have your other fleet members to help. It only costs 20 EC per food item so it is not going to harm anyone's wealth.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You're not supposed to be buying 1000 of something to fill a project by yourself. You're supposed to be, you know, in a fleet, a group of people.

All of the fleet projects are scaled for something like 50 active contributors, at least.
  • Options
    zeddicuszeddzeddicuszedd Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You're not supposed to be buying 1000 of something to fill a project by yourself. You're supposed to be, you know, in a fleet, a group of people.

All of the fleet projects are scaled for something like 50 active contributors, at least.

Let’s say you are going to take on 10 percent of this project,you get enjoyment out of clicking the mouse 200 times?
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Actually, the Bartender and Chef projects are completely worthless since it is the same as your starship's bartender and chef.
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Nah, that was true back in S6, but at some point the bartender was fixed to function like the SFA bartender, and now performs the important task of buying your vendortrash.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    humblesheephumblesheep Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Why is wasting 1 hour of 100 peoples time considered better than wasting 10 hours of 10 peoples time or 100 hours of 1 persons time?

It is all pointless grinding that puts people off playing the game.

Cryptic seem to think that the more hours you spend playing, the more you are likely to buy something - This is fundamentally wrong!

1 hour of play enjoying yourself make you want to play again. 2 hours of play, 1 enjoying yourself and 1 grinding, makes you think twice about logging on again. And 2 hours of grind, explains why so may fleets are failing and the game looses so many players shortly after each season start.

It's simple, reduce the grind and it will be more fun, more fun = more players = more profit! (people may play less hours, but will be back again and again).

We are doing just fine with 3, thank you.

And if fleets are supposed to have 50 members minimum, they shouldn't start with 5. Fleets should be for your friend (new and old), not just random strangers filling up slots for mutual profit.
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    At least it is not the old requirements of 250 Romulan Ale and 250 Dosi Rotgut for the Bartender project and 1000 Taspar Eggs and 1000 Klingon Hearts of Targ. 1000 Food/Drink compared to those requirements makes most of us not care about how many clicks we have to do. Besides, it is a fleet project so if you think 2000 clicks is too much, then have your other fleet members to help. It only costs 20 EC per food item so it is not going to harm anyone's wealth.
    I am not really sure why they felt the need to make it 2000 things you can produce immediately from your replicator for a sum total of 20K, except that you have to click 2000 times for it. Why not just put a 20K EC input? It's not like you can get these things in useful quantities anywhere else. Frankly, the Ale and Rotgut thing was FINE, it gave a reason for those items to even exist, as they could be readily acquired in-game. Now they're just worthless vendortrash. The Eggs and Hearts thing was a little bit crazy, but eh, those projects were supposed to be silly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    abcde123123abcde123123 Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I am not really sure why they felt the need to make it 2000 things you can produce immediately from your replicator for a sum total of 20K, except that you have to click 2000 times for it. Why not just put a 20K EC input? It's not like you can get these things in useful quantities anywhere else. Frankly, the Ale and Rotgut thing was FINE, it gave a reason for those items to even exist, as they could be readily acquired in-game. Now they're just worthless vendortrash. The Eggs and Hearts thing was a little bit crazy, but eh, those projects were supposed to be silly.

When I ask the same questions to myself, im torn between "is it really just a laziness and stupidity combo" and "there's really evil purpose to it" kinda answers. And I still got no idea. One thing we can be sure of, thou, last season codez are never touched. PERIOD.

But hey, I work in software consulting for the last 20 years, and I've seen things that made even less sense.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I understand that certain aspects of MMOs are repetitive. In my opinion, some of the fleet requirements are downright silly. For example, the fleet bartender project says you can use any 1000 drink / food items as inputs to meet this requirement. As far as I can tell, none of the food items can be purchased in any bulk. So you need to click 1000 times and then select are you sure you want to buy this, really 2000 clicks. I know I can use an 3rd party macro application to click for me but I really don’t want to install any unnecessary applications. As a side note, I also noticed the fleet bartender project does not recognize a large selection of drinks, for example Aldebaran Whiskey and Romulan Ale. Yes, I did open a bug report.

Marketing, please review some of the games silly repetitive requirements and consider some other alternative.

Thank you!

I did this project and noted it said 1000 drinks. What it really means is 1000 white quality drinks. So copy alot of hot chocolate.

And not worthless. It also gave 1000 engineering XP to the station. ;)

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Wasn't it the precursor to the rep system? With the changes to the rep system with them getting rid of commodities and just using EC I don't see why they can't do a pass over on the fleet projects and convert them over too.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    decronia wrote: »
    Wasn't it the precursor to the rep system? With the changes to the rep system with them getting rid of commodities and just using EC I don't see why they can't do a pass over on the fleet projects and convert them over too.

I am going to guess the time sink value. The EC cost is relatively small, almost anyone could pop it. But as an actual commodity, it sat for days with no one entering anything. Finally I sat down and bought all the food and drink manually to put it in so we could clear the upgrade.
    The gripes are when they ask for X amount of Class3 photon torpedos. They do not even stack. . .

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    cyckathcyckath Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    starkaos wrote: »

Fleet filled with pride when we finally finished off the old Bartender, but very glad the condensing of required doffs for example occurred.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited April 2014

We are doing just fine with 3, thank you.

And if fleets are supposed to have 50 members minimum, they shouldn't start with 5. Fleets should be for your friend (new and old), not just random strangers filling up slots for mutual profit.

I didn't say fleets are "supposed to have 50 players," I said the projects are scaled for that size.

Fleets are "supposed to" have anywhere from 1 to 500 members. If you want to do it with three, you probably shouldn't complain about the requirements for projects that were made with a lot more contributors in mind. I know the members of a 2-person fleet that reached Tier 5. Number of complaints I can recall from them? Zero.

There are a lot of missions in this game that were designed for teams of 5-20 people, do you complain about not being able to solo those, too?