test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Active Rep powers

rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
So, under the new regime, we will be restricted to four active (tier 5) reputation powers at a time.

We will also be able to hotswap these powers, any time out of combat.

Well, lets look at what that actually means in reality.

At present, we have from the four current reps two space powers and two ground.

All with relatively long cooldowns, a bit situational but definitely useful now and then.

Point is, we all know how this will pan out.

Players, quite sensibly, will simply switch from their space to their ground configurations.

Thus, when we hit five possible tier 5 powers, players will just have to click a couple of buttons and carry on unaffected.

Indeed, this is the situation until we get more than 8 reputation tracks.

Assuming the even split we've enjoyed so far, the ninth reputation track is the first time we'll actually have to choose what power to take into either space or ground.

It'll be ten reputation tracks before we have to do that for both space and ground.

Ten.

Just how far off is that?

I'd like to propose that this restriction is not necessary and merely adds a chore for no actual benefit to the player or effect on balance. At least until we hit 8 reputations.

Indeed, those active powers with their long cooldowns are simply not part of the power creep equation at all.

Instead, they represent the cherry at the top of a reputation track. The reward simply for getting there.

I do get how a bloat in reputation passives can be part of that equation. i do not disagree with the idea that some reform in necessary in that regard, and should be done earlier rather than later.

We can table any reserves I have on the execution of that idea.

However, the active powers aren't a problem. Wont be a problem for at least a year or so, and even then, aren't really a major source of any issues.

Leave them out of the changes, I say.

All this is doing is adding a superfluous step in toon management for absolutely no discernable benefit to anyone at all.
Post edited by rinkster on

Comments

• aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    All this is doing is adding a superfluous step in toon management for absolutely no discernable benefit to anyone at all.

This is built on an unsafe assumption: that "they" haven't already got things planned out past 20 or 30 (and ever-growing) rep grinds.

See, rep grind is endgame. No, no, I mean is *the* endgame.

With that in mind, this isn't superfluous- it's the coming, inevitable future. Enjoy it or start looking for a new game. Our Chinese overlords have spoken.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I bet they're going to sell us trait loadouts in the future. It's so obvious.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Players, quite sensibly, will simply switch from their space to their ground configurations.
    There are 4 of each. You will be able to have 4 space and 4 ground reps active simultaneously. As well as 4 'active' skills(the tier V rep powers)
    edited March 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    There are 4 of each. You will be able to have 4 space and 4 ground reps active simultaneously. As well as 4 'active' skills(the tier V rep powers)

Which is why he said there won't be any problem with the actives until a 5th rep is added, because you can use all 4 of the current ones in the 4 active slots.

TL;DR: He knows that, as anyone who actually read his post can clearly see.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    One rep per season gives 2.5 years until we hit 10 reps. However, there's several factors that could come into play first (in order of how likely I think each one is to happen, most to least):

1. A two-rep season - the next major release later this year has been referred to as an expansion, but has also been confirmed to not be a new faction. With zero details it could be anything, but some people have speculated it may be a double season, with two blocks of content and a rep for each.
    2. An additional pass on existing reputations. With stacking strictly limited, the carrot can be made bigger, so to speak. If each one were given a space and ground active power, boom, we're already to the point where the limit can't be circumvented.
    3. Another progression system splitting developer and player time with reputations and slowing the release rate of reputations to allow new (whatever this hypothetical system is).
    4. A change to the trait mechanic and/or swapping - limiting when it can be done or how often, changing the number of slots, separate space and ground active slots, or uncoupling active powers from it entirely because people are just cheating that part of the system anyway.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2014

He's talking about active powers. With each new rep track Cryptic has been alternating between a space or ground ability. The next reputation track, Undine, will have a space ability at tier 5. To maximize effectiveness with space or ground, players at some point may have to deal with tedious trait swapping with their active powers.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    TL;DR: He knows that, as anyone who actually read his post can clearly see.
    :( I DID read his post. Don't assume that I didn't.
    edited March 2014

I didn't assume, I deduced based on the evidence here:

You're explaining "as well as 4 'active' skills," which he mentioned clearly in the post you claim to have read.

Okay...so: "He knows that, as does anyone who actually comprehended his post when they read it."

Better? :rolleyes:
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Well, maybe i was unclear.

And for that i apologise.

I do understand the difference between the passive powers and the active ones.

The entire revamp will alow us to pick four passive space, four passive ground and four of our active powers, space or ground.

My point is, this system is a needless step in toon management that wil only be meaningful when we hit 9 or 10 reputation tracks.

Even then, just how much will making us choose four of five active powers on very long cooldowns mitigate power creep?

I don't believe its makes much difference at all.

Which means the restriction on active powers serves no purpose in the short term and only makes a dubious and small difference in the long term.

So, i propose junking the proposed change inasmuch as it effects tier 5, active, powers.

And, to be perfectly clear, I do see the need to reform the passive powers although I have reservations over some of the details in Hawks proposed scheme.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    I bet they're going to sell us trait loadouts in the future. It's so obvious.

Or additional trait slots.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
    edited March 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    Or additional trait slots.

Doubt they'll sell them per se.

Hawk was pretty explicit.

However, there has been a deafening silence on the idea that they may be hidden behind tiers of a future fleet holding, ala doff slots at the embassy.
  • risingstar2009risingstar2009 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Given that they release 2 reps a year (typically 1 per season), may take about 2 years before we have to worry about Active Rep abilities.

It's the Passives that will constantly be swapped at this point. But, I don't mind it. I welcome the change.
    Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles
    edited March 2014
    Given that they release 2 reps a year (typically 1 per season), may take about 2 years before we have to worry about Active Rep abilities.

It's the Passives that will constantly be swapped at this point. But, I don't mind it. I welcome the change.

Not arguing the passive question here, I'm trying to focus on the actives in this thread.

And, I largely agree that we may well have two years before the new system gives us a meaningful choice as regard active powers.

My point is, why give us needless busywork for two years, and its not a huge problem anyway.

Seems far more sensible to just leave it alone.
    edited March 2014
    hevach wrote: »
    One rep per season gives 2.5 years until we hit 10 reps. However, there's several factors that could come into play first (in order of how likely I think each one is to happen, most to least):

1. A two-rep season - the next major release later this year has been referred to as an expansion, but has also been confirmed to not be a new faction. With zero details it could be anything, but some people have speculated it may be a double season, with two blocks of content and a rep for each.
    2. An additional pass on existing reputations. With stacking strictly limited, the carrot can be made bigger, so to speak. If each one were given a space and ground active power, boom, we're already to the point where the limit can't be circumvented.
    3. Another progression system splitting developer and player time with reputations and slowing the release rate of reputations to allow new (whatever this hypothetical system is).
    4. A change to the trait mechanic and/or swapping - limiting when it can be done or how often, changing the number of slots, separate space and ground active slots, or uncoupling active powers from it entirely because people are just cheating that part of the system anyway.

Fair points.

My argument is based on the assumptions that rep systems will come at, more or less, the same pace as we've been having them and that they will retain, again more or less, the same shape.

Those things may change, but without any suggestion to the contrary I just cant see how this proposed change to active powers gives us any benefit whatsoever.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I agree with your points, I was just answering your question about how long it will be until the active power limit does anything except give us a clickie-click chore to do now and then - 2.5 years, with some future events that could make it sooner or later (probably sooner).
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Doubt they'll sell them per se.

Hawk was pretty explicit.

However, there has been a deafening silence on the idea that they may be hidden behind tiers of a future fleet holding, ala doff slots at the embassy.

I do believe Hawk, and that his intention for this IS good.

Buuut, he also isn't in charge of anything past his own work honestly. So while he might say that he doesn't want that to happen, plenty of people over him who can say otherwise.

It isn't Hawk who I would be ticked off at if it did happen as well, because he does seem like he means that.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
    edited March 2014
    mimey2 wrote: »

Buuut, he also isn't in charge of anything past his own work honestly. So while he might say that he doesn't want that to happen, plenty of people over him who can say otherwise.

It isn't Hawk who I would be ticked off at if it did happen as well, because he does seem like he means that.

Agreed.

I do beleive that, in good faith, Hawk has no intention of selling us trait slots.

It's just hard to summon up the faith that some one wont come along and over-rule him.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    mimey2 wrote: »

Yeah, Hawk's pretty cool. I fully expect someone to override him in due course, however, because there's easily a money making opportunity in additional trait slots, even if doing so would undo the whole basis of the revamp.

So it all comes down to whether Cryptic's PWE overlords can stick to their convictions or if making money will win out.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • jrwithjrwith Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    they made a direct statement about us being able to switch out of combat with no charge and getting rid of semi permanent choices for the sake of a build. plus you can load abilities together you previously had to choose between. if anything this increases flexibility and deals with power creep.
    edited March 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    So it all comes down to whether Cryptic's PWE overlords can stick to their convictions or if making money will win out.

By my understanding of who Cryptic's PWE overlords are, making money above all else is sticking to their convictions. :confused:
    edited March 2014
    jrwith wrote: »
    they made a direct statement about us being able to switch out of combat with no charge and getting rid of semi permanent choices for the sake of a build. plus you can load abilities together you previously had to choose between. if anything this increases flexibility and deals with power creep.

Well we did get a bit sidetracked by failing to be able to wholeheatredly trust cryptic to keep the promise made by Hawk.

Sadly, while i'd love to explain how being able to combine, say, both T4 Nukara powers is sorta the opposite of controlling power creep, what do you think about the OP?

Given how the proposed change has no material benefit or effect for probably a couple of years, in return for making us do some pointless clickyclicky, should they just decouple active powers from the proposed change?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    By my understanding of who Cryptic's PWE overlords are, making money above all else is sticking to their convictions. :confused:
    *points at sig*

It still boggle smy mind that people act like they really expect corporation to NOT be all about money....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jrwithjrwith Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well we did get a bit sidetracked by failing to be able to wholeheatredly trust cryptic to keep the promise made by Hawk.

Sadly, while i'd love to explain how being able to combine, say, both T4 Nukara powers is sorta the opposite of controlling power creep, what do you think about the OP?

Given how the proposed change has no material benefit or effect for probably a couple of years, in return for making us do some pointless clickyclicky, should they just decouple active powers from the proposed change?

limits the number available especially considering rep is the way they're going from now on