What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Transporter Technology

2»

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    No it doesn't clone. It can accidently duplicate a signal in two. If it was a cloning machine why wouldn't the Dominion just beam one Jem Hadar onto DS9 5000 times?

It copies a persons 'signal' (for want of a better term) and duplicates it in another location and destroys the previous one, if that signal is split in to by an ion storm, or whatever, they you have Thomas Riker.

There is no difference between them, my point was that they are not been 'killed' by the transporter any more than by their own biology.

The only difference between a cloning device and transporter is one has the original remain while the other has the original dismantled and reassembled. So the cloning feature of the transporter is turned off due to "safety" regulations. Scanning an individual, then creating a pattern based on that scan, and sending the pattern to a particular location would clone an individual. Since there is no difference between the original and a bunch of particles that are in the exact same positions as the original. So a Transporter in normal operation, clones the original and kills off the original due to the "safety" regulations.

If you have a carbon atom in your head, then it could end up in your foot after the teleportation since one Carbon atom is no different than another Carbon atom as far as biology goes. After all, if you build a Lego structure, dismantle it, then rebuild the same structure with the colored blocks in the same location, then it is not the original Lego structure. It is just a Lego structure that looks like the original using the same pieces.

Teleportation causes a person to temporarily cease to exist. You are just a bunch of particles and a pattern. As far as I know, no longer existing is the definition of death even if that is temporary and returning from that state is resurrection. In fact, the whole state of an afterlife according to religions is that our consciousness travels somewhere else after our body ceases to exist. So how is that any different from using a Transporter?
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,788 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Does someone have a definition of "soul"? Particularly one that doesn't depend on a given religious interpretation?

Umm... Would you accept: energy-based pilot of a biological mecha?
    edited March 2014
    Does someone have a definition of "soul"? Particularly one that doesn't depend on a given religious interpretation?

The soul is the spark that causes a bunch of particles to become animated instead of being an inanimate object. In a robot, you have the hardware, software, and electricity. For us, the body is the hardware, the mind is the software, and the soul is the electricity. Without electricity, the robot ceases to function. So without the soul, then a person becomes a lifeless husk. However, we can turn on a robot after cutting its power, but since we don't have a clue as to what the soul is, then there is no way to turn on a person again except for supernatural methods. As to what the soul is beyond some non-descript term like a spark, I have no idea and I doubt anyone knows.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,430 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    The soul is the spark that causes a bunch of particles to become animated instead of being an inanimate object. In a robot, you have the hardware, software, and electricity. For us, the body is the hardware, the mind is the software, and the soul is the electricity. Without electricity, the robot ceases to function. So without the soul, then a person becomes a lifeless husk. However, we can turn on a robot after cutting its power, but since we don't have a clue as to what the soul is, then there is no way to turn on a person again except for supernatural methods. As to what the soul is beyond some non-descript term like a spark, I have no idea and I doubt anyone knows.
    Then it becomes self-evident that when a person is transported, their "soul" is transferred. Otherwise, a dead body would fall out of the receiving platform every time.

Now, aside from the Riker incident (which may well have resulted in his soul being split between the two individuals, explaining why Will Riker never wanted a command), have we seen any sign that it's possible to run the recovery cycle on a transporter twice, winding up with two individuals? The only other such incident I can think of was a TOS episode, "The Enemy Within", but in that case each copy only got one side of Kirk's personality.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited March 2014
    Then it becomes self-evident that when a person is transported, their "soul" is transferred. Otherwise, a dead body would fall out of the receiving platform every time.

Now, aside from the Riker incident (which may well have resulted in his soul being split between the two individuals, explaining why Will Riker never wanted a command), have we seen any sign that it's possible to run the recovery cycle on a transporter twice, winding up with two individuals? The only other such incident I can think of was a TOS episode, "The Enemy Within", but in that case each copy only got one side of Kirk's personality.

Or the transportation state makes the body more susceptible to souls transferring to the pattern. So the body is destroyed, the soul is freed, and the soul hitches a ride with the pattern. So if we set up the transporter to be a cloning device, then the pattern picks up wandering souls.

Personally, I find this concept of transportation to be too disturbing. If transporter technology ever becomes real, then I will use dimensional transportation or just never step on a transporter pad. I might suffer radiation poisoning, but that is small price to pay to not worry about my soul being destroyed, dying and a clone taking over my life, or one leg is a couple of millimeters smaller.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Is it no wonder that McCoy was always so nervous around the transporter?
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,275 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I thought the transporter decompiled already exsisting matter and energy then compresses it and recompiles it in the same order, kinda like melting a block of ice, shooting the water through a pipe, then freezing it again in the same shape. though it does have a digital copy of them just in case something didnt come out right.

we've seen Sato go through the transporter still concious, so it means you are always you through it.

if it just destroyed the target and then made an exact copy, it'd render the deletion useless.

I believe this is exactly how star trek transporters work. They don't create matter they just relocate it.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.