test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Foundry Tutorial: Do the Math!

kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Hey all. Here is a new tutorial on some math tricks that help with Foundry map making. I hope that a few of you new authors find it helpful.

Feedback from older authors would help as well. Do you use math and a calculator much?

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/trailers/essential-viewing/primetimeugcs-foundry-essentials-with-kirkfat/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by kirksplat on

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Some of my designs have required it.

A great example is the Alien transporter. To get things to align properly you must use math or it'll look off.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Awesome, thanks.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Feedback from older authors would help as well. Do you use math and a calculator much?
    Mostly only when I'm doing the writing, to keep distances and speeds consistent.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited March 2014
    I always have a calculator handy, along with scratch paper and/or the computer notepad program. Math is essential if you want things symmetrical or are doing stairs.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Trigonometry skills are also needed when trying to place objects or NPCs in orbit of planets at specific latitudes and longitudes, as I had to do in "Valley of the Shadow II" and my recent revamp of "Ghosts of War, Part V".
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I couldn't have built this without healthy amounts of math.
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited March 2014
    I will say though that multi-select (with multi-copy/paste and multi-rotate) and snap to grid/angle have made it so I have to do less math.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't do math.

I throw a bunch of objects on the map, add some numbers, crossing my fingers and hope for the best.