test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rep Mechanics for Improving Ships, B/Doffs, and more...

xstarhammerxxstarhammerx Member Posts: 50 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Reputation System
I like the mechanics of the Reputation system. It has a good mix of long-term grindiness and immediate micro-management that makes for a great component of an RPG. I like the sound of the refinements to the system outlined in the Season 9 Dev Blog 3 too. Sounds great overall.

What I'd really like to see in this game is for this mechanic to be used as a way to improve existing equipment, like gear, B/Doffs, and Starships. I'd love to have a Rep style project to improve a B/Doff that I like (because of their name/etc) to a higher tier of the same character. Instead of replacing my introductory Boffs, I could upgrade them into purples eventually. Have a piece of Blue gear that I want to keep, but would like to juice it's performance a bit instead of just replacing it with a purple variant from the exchange? Rep system upgrade. Don't want to cycle through a dozen or more starships throughout my career? Pick one and upgrade Boff slots/rank capacity or add weapon hardpoints throughout my career.

Sure, you can just buy replacement stuff on the exchange. Everybody can buy Master Keys and sell them for millions of EC and then just buy the stuff they want. Something about that feels so very mundane and banal however. I like the idea of doing things with my character to improve what my character has access to. It helps with the immersion. Balance the difficulty right, and it's providing a different way for players to get the same job done, potentially increasing the the enjoyment of gameplay by giving more people a wider variety of ways to play.

Here's another possibility... You can currently trade 2 days worth of refined dilithium for enough zen to buy a master key. Which you can then sell on the exchange, etc. What about a 20 hour Rep project that gives you a bound Master Key? You can't sell it, so it's not worth quite as much, but you can earn them about twice as fast, and just open more boxes yourself. That's the kind of thing I'd get more fulfillment from.

Like I said, I like the Rep mechanics. I'd like to see this system used for a lot more things throughout the game.
Post edited by xstarhammerx on

Comments

• Options
    johnchrightonjohnchrighton Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    That would be a great way to improve ships, equipment, and bridge officers, I support this 100%.
    Headlong into mystery