test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Change to the Borg

ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
They should be able to adapt to ship energy weapons just as they adapt to ground weapons. It just doesn't make sense that they would not be able to. I propose 2 frequency remodulators be created for ships. 1 as a device, basically the same thing we have now for ground combat, and 1 as a console that is constantly running. But just the device version would suffice. I mean, there's really no reason not to make this so. Elitist players keep complaining how easy elite borg stfs are, so this should provide a little bit of a challenge.
Post edited by ghyudt on

Comments

• havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I can't think of any reason why weapon/shield re-modulation wouldn't be required in space just as on the ground other than ease of gameplay.

Since the game is too easy now, why not implement?

Should Remodulation be a Device or a Science/Engineering Skill? Or all of the above?
  • ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    havokreign wrote: »
    I can't think of any reason why weapon/shield re-modulation wouldn't be required in space just as on the ground other than ease of gameplay.

Since the game is too easy now, why not implement?

Should Remodulation be a Device or a Science/Engineering Skill? Or all of the above?

I hadn't considered it as a skill. I figured if it were going to be a skill, it should have been made one for ground skills before. Making it a device would just make it easier to implement.
  • sgcdiallersgcdialler Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I could see this either adding a good measure of fun/Trek back into the game... or being a giant pain that's only in the way all time when running STFs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There's already the replicatable ground device, is why i say starship device. Starship remodulator et al.

IMO it's best represented in space as an unprecidented ability to heal on behalf of NPC borg. Yah go ahead and throw everything you can think of at them, and when it doesn't work, it's because they're well...the borg :eek:
  • uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ship assimilation never seems to do anything either unless I'm missing the point of what it does in space.
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I like to think that after 50 years the federation has made auto frequency a standard feature on all their ships
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ship assimilation never seems to do anything either unless I'm missing the point of what it does in space.
    It's actually a pretty bad debuff. It's like boarding party but worse. But most people don't notice since they spec to resist it without knowing it exists.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ghyudt wrote: »
    They should be able to adapt to ship energy weapons just as they adapt to ground weapons. It just doesn't make sense that they would not be able to. I propose 2 frequency remodulators be created for ships. 1 as a device, basically the same thing we have now for ground combat, and 1 as a console that is constantly running. But just the device version would suffice. I mean, there's really no reason not to make this so. Elitist players keep complaining how easy elite borg stfs are, so this should provide a little bit of a challenge.

If we're going for onscreen realism, they should also overcome remodulation after the first or second activation of it. So that you then can't penetrate their defenses at all and can only do what Starfleet does in the shows ... run away.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It seems pretty clear that the whole adapt to ship weapons problem was overcome between the Wolf 359 events and First contact since we see a bunch of ships still using phasers (and torps for that matter) and doing damage to the cube in First contact even after a prolonged battle.

Starfleet are also likely to of shared this with the KDF since they were allies at the time.
    edited March 2014
    zipagat wrote: »
    It seems pretty clear that the whole adapt to ship weapons problem was overcome between the Wolf 359 events and First contact since we see a bunch of ships still using phasers (and torps for that matter) and doing damage to the cube in First contact even after a prolonged battle.

Starfleet are also likely to of shared this with the KDF since they were allies at the time.

Nah, in First Contact their personal shields adapt to phasers right quick and Picard has to run to the holodeck to use the holographic tommy gun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    Nah, in First Contact their personal shields adapt to phasers right quick and Picard has to run to the holodeck to use the holographic tommy gun.

Their ship phasers we doing damage to the cube though when the fleet delivers the killing blow to the cube plus the cube has suffered heavy damage to its hull according to Data.

Even after the battle has been going on awhile. They adapted after a single encounter previously with the Ent D so they did something to their shipboard weapons.

They proababally went with the adapt after a few shots thing for the handheld weapons because of narrative reasons (this far and no further ect) would of made a boring film if they just mowed the borg down with phaser rifles.
    edited March 2014
    Their ship phasers we doing damage to the cube though when the fleet delivers the killing blow to the cube plus the cube has suffered heavy damage to its hull according to Data.

Even after the battle has been going on awhile. They adapted after a single encounter previously with the Ent D so they did something to their shipboard weapons.

They proababally went with the adapt after a few shots thing for the handheld weapons because of narrative reasons (this far and no further ect) would of made a boring film if they just mowed the borg down with phaser rifles.

Inconsistent writing? In a Star Trek movie? This can not be!

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    Inconsistent writing? In a Star Trek movie? This can not be!

;)

It could of been worse, if FC was a Voyager not a TNG movie the Borg would of just been killed by 2 of Voyagers photon torpedos because tachyons.
    edited March 2014
    It could of been worse, if FC was a Voyager not a TNG movie the Borg would of just been killed by 2 of Voyagers photon torpedos because tachyons.

I'm sure they would have involved subspace or dinosaurs in the equation before Tuvok deadpanned "fire" to Mister Kim.

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Space remodulators sound FUN!
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Maybe rapid and frequent weapon remodulation require additional tech that it a bit awkward to fit in a man portable weapon? It would explain the inconsistency.
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hmmm ... Yes, by all means suggest ways to make the already tedious and boring GRIND even more tedious and boring ...
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If space combat supported manual targeting i would suggest adding "weak points" that would appear randomly on the hull after a certain amount of damage had been taken, and with a short window of opportunity to take them out.

But seeing as space does not have a shooter mode.... well..
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If we're going for onscreen realism, they should also overcome remodulation after the first or second activation of it. So that you then can't penetrate their defenses at all and can only do what Starfleet does in the shows ... run away.

Yeah, I thought about this and the only way you could balance gameplay NEEDS with "realism" there is one of three things.

1) The Alpha Quadrant powers have overcome Borg adaptation. Stop trying to make them so annoying/scary/special. I am somewhat sick of the pedastal fans place the Borg on. It breaks Trek to have an enemy that imbalanced. Acknowledge that the early Borg are unTrek and further the neutering of them for the good of the setting and the IP.

2) You completely change the mechanic for fighting them. They're basically unkillable. In which case, mission parameters aren't based on killing them and they eliminate the swarms of them, instead making the goal be to survive the non-boss Borg while being unable to kill more than a handful. So it becomes about using downed drones as human shields, isolating them with forcefields, using distraction, maybe Zombie Tag mechanics.

3) Leave things as is and acknowledge it's a halfway balance or maybe tweak remodulation to be less tedious. Personally, I'd favor remodulation as an instant power with no cooldown but it takes up a kit slot. If you're adding remod in space, you probably add it to about half a dozen existing BO powers and maybe add bonus remod time to all defensive consoles.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If space combat supported manual targeting i would suggest adding "weak points" that would appear randomly on the hull after a certain amount of damage had been taken, and with a short window of opportunity to take them out.

But seeing as space does not have a shooter mode.... well..

They could randomly have one of the four sides fluctuate between being a weak point or maybe add expose/exploit to space with exploits doing far more damage against Borg but regular attacks doing less damage.
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ok, so if we talk about "reality", a borg cube should kill 3 or 4 scimitars without even sweat, and its not the case. And the scimitar thalaron cannon should destroy asap any non borg ship in range no matter what shields or hull strenght or equipment the targeted ship is wearing.

So, i dont think we will ever see remodulation on space, space is the relaxed zone to kill borgs...
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, I thought about this and the only way you could balance gameplay NEEDS with "realism" there is one of three things.

1) The Alpha Quadrant powers have overcome Borg adaptation. Stop trying to make them so annoying/scary/special. I am somewhat sick of the pedastal fans place the Borg on. It breaks Trek to have an enemy that imbalanced. Acknowledge that the early Borg are unTrek and further the neutering of them for the good of the setting and the IP.

Borg as as untrek like as every Star trek after TOS is untrek like. Sorry, Borg are a part of trek and so is their near invincibility to everything that isn't Janeway and company.
  • dreadcalldreadcall Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited March 2014

It's fine, power creep adresses the borg problem. The borg fanbois just have to imagine that they would adapt after a while if they lived long enough.

Everything that happened after voyager pretty much supports this. Yeah yeah i know if it's not on screen it's not canon blah blah blah but since there is no continuation on screen we can only go by other sources. They pretty much weren't a big deal anymore until they came back with like 7k+ cubes.

Except for the Queen Janeway planet killer-eating uniquesuper-evolved cube BS, because apparently the collective is actually holding back the advancement of individual cubes a lot. Yeah that was pretty bad. But we all know how much neutronium plating protects you from 50k dps scimitars ;)

So power creep is actually a good thing! Cryptic should hire me as a PR person right now :D
    Ok, so if we talk about "reality", a borg cube should kill 3 or 4 scimitars without even sweat, and its not the case. And the scimitar thalaron cannon should destroy asap any non borg ship in range no matter what shields or hull strenght or equipment the targeted ship is wearing.

So, i dont think we will ever see remodulation on space, space is the relaxed zone to kill borgs...

The E got completely wrecked by the scimitar while having done not so bad against the borg before, and possibly carrying some of the tech brought home by Voyager at that point. 3 or 4 scimitars would probably blow a cube to bits in a single volley. 52 disruptor cannons, 27 torpedo launchers and all that stuff.

Thalaron pulse shouldn't destroy anything, it should however kill most biological lifeforms including borg drones.
  • deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member Posts: 265
    edited March 2014
    God no, this is why I skip ground borg content...its beyond tedious, adds no real difficulty. Yes I would like NEW content to be hard "AND" fun at the same time...its completely possible to be both. Just leave the old content alone its perfectly fine...
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    dreadcall wrote: »

The E got completely wrecked by the scimitar while having done not so bad against the borg before, and possibly carrying some of the tech brought home by Voyager at that point. 3 or 4 scimitars would probably blow a cube to bits in a single volley. 52 disruptor cannons, 27 torpedo launchers and all that stuff.

Thalaron pulse shouldn't destroy anything, it should however kill most biological lifeforms including borg drones.

Yup, what i meant with the thalaron pulse is that the ships will be completely neutralized, since all the lifeforms will be dead.

And no, the problem is, in the real "world" a cube will destroy 2 scimitars in seconds, they will not even have time to shot. And the other 2 will hurt the bog a little, but it will too late. Theorically, the weapons of the scimitar should not be even effective against the cube, not to mention, the thalaron cannon, will do only a superficial harm to the half-organic borgs. A cube in the shows can destroy several federation ships at once, or if not, just one after another in a row. I remember the scene from "first impact" where you could see, i dont know, maybe more than 10 ship wreckages of destroyed ships. In the nemesis movie, the enterprise + the valdore really hurt the scimitar in the last seconds of the scene. And they were only 2 v 1. They based the attack on speed and strategy. It is supossed the scimitar has a really slow turning rate and acceleration and that is a big problem if you have all your disruptors in the front. Of course, in STO, the scimitar is not so slow lol.