What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scheduled Maintenance No Patch (March 20, 2014) [Complete!]

13»

Comments

• pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    If you're looking for something worthwhile to do you can amble over to my thread and help those less fortunate... convenient link included below.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1057311

I wonder what's been the longest running tech support issue. If mine isn't it, must come close by now. Oh how I suffer for your sake my MMO dearest... Help would greatly be appreciated.

*Opens eyes wide as tears well up and in weak voice utters a plaintive "please!"*
    I.. I'm sorry, but my original posts inferring that I was a tech genius bordering on Doc Brown? Not true. I'm afraid I don't even know my way around a tricorder, much less technical issues.

That being said, please continue to take the appropriate actions. Posted in graphics/sound yesterday? Awesome! If you haven't already, please open up a support ticket. You can find the link at the bottom of my signature.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I... You... You..

Take Your Hands off Brandon, Trevor and Morrigan !!!

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are MINE!!! And mine alone!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D
  • anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    laughingtrendy, if you want to do sth that helps the players you might wanna tell them devs that the datatraffic generated by STO is cooking our CPUs. This game heats my CPU beyond 80°C whenever such traffic goes on and then shuts down my laptop. And before you start, no it is not the graphics that do this, as setting gfx to absolute minimum changes nothing.

There, fixed. :P
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
    edited March 2014
    Capn Smirk, if you want to do sth that helps the players you might wanna tell them devs that the datatraffic generated by STO is cooking our CPUs. This game heats my CPU beyond 80°C whenever such traffic goes on and then shuts down my laptop. And before you start, no it is not the graphics that do this, as setting gfx to absolute minimum changes nothing.

This is not the OP you are looking for! *jedi jazz hands*
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are MINE!!! And mine alone!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D

No one likes me, just because I am Austrian...:(
  • anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This is not the OP you are looking for! *jedi jazz hands*
    My apologies mylady. :D I 'updated' my post.
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • talgeezetalgeeze Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Wanted to try the new Space Battlezone on Tribble while Holodeck is down, but I couldn't find how to get into it :/
  • stonesolid42stonesolid42 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    laughingtrendy, if you want to do sth that helps the players you might wanna tell them devs that the datatraffic generated by STO is cooking our CPUs. This game heats my CPU beyond 80°C whenever such traffic goes on and then shuts down my laptop. And before you start, no it is not the graphics that do this, as setting gfx to absolute minimum changes nothing.

There, fixed. :P

Sounds like you need new thermal paste for your CPU. This game runs on my crummy work laptop and doesn't heat it up as much as any other game I've played on it (EVE/Wurm Online). And it's actually playable on that paperweight unlike the others I named.

P.S. Please bring the servers back up so I can play on my lunch break. :P
  • laheuganlaheugan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Sounds like you need new thermal paste for your CPU. This game runs on my crummy work laptop and doesn't heat it up as much as any other game I've played on it (EVE/Wurm Online). And it's actually playable on that paperweight unlike the others I named

Thermal interface material may or may not help it, I'd recommend just cleaning it first to see if that would help, but there is a point when that machine has a limit to how much it can cool. Very small heatsinks in those things. Sorry to hear about it anyway. I believe Intel CPUs can go upto or over 90 degrees C, but do not quote me on that, and as it's a laptop, that's rather irrelevant. Anyway, moving on...
    "Seleste" - http://www.reddit.com/r/sto Fleet Officer
    Reddit Alert, Reddit Star Empire, House of Snoo, House of the Rising Snoo
    Good Builds: http://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ...If you haven't already, please open up a support ticket. You can find the link at the bottom of my signature.

Oh thou chilleth to the bone... behold my tears frozen in vain. :eek:
    She didn't even read my thread at all, even any discerning mind reading my previous post here should be able to infer I've been in contact with tech support for a long running time. :(
    edited March 2014
    Still waiting for the server...still watching Serenity...

Mal just got the bright idea to lure a bunch of Reavers to attack the Operative and the Alliance fleet. This can't possibly end well...
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Arc related question.

I just logged on and noticed that it says on the top left the STO is currently live, when I load the game I get "the server is unavilable at this time". If the server is down, shouldn't the little launch button indicate that?
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • stonesolid42stonesolid42 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    laheugan wrote: »
    Thermal interface material may or may not help it, I'd recommend just cleaning it first to see if that would help, but there is a point when that machine has a limit to how much it can cool. Very small heatsinks in those things. Sorry to hear about it anyway. I believe Intel CPUs can go upto or over 90 degrees C, but do not quote me on that, and as it's a laptop, that's rather irrelevant. Anyway, moving on...

Pretty much. You can try programs like prime95 to run up the temp while you monitor it with CPUID and see if it's the cooling on your machine. I had this issue on my work laptop and replacing the paste has worked (at least for the past couple years). One of my laptops was so bad that I had to sand the heatsink and add a new vent in the bottom of the case to be able to play video games (or run stress tests) for any extended period of time.
    edited March 2014
    Still waiting for the server...still watching Serenity...

Mal just got the bright idea to lure a bunch of Reavers to attack the Operative and the Alliance fleet. This can't possibly end well...
    "I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."
    Hands down my favorite quote from him.
    edited March 2014
    "I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."
    Hands down my favorite quote from him.

I always loved "Big Damn Heroes" myself.

Mal is fighting the Operative. Mal is uberbadass. River has just been carried away by the Reavers...oh, nice. She's beating the tar out of like 20 Reavers. Awesome.

So sad that Wash is dead. :(
    edited March 2014
    I always loved "Big Damn Heroes" myself.

Mal is fighting the Operative. Mal is uberbadass. River has just been carried away by the Reavers...oh, nice. She's beating the tar out of like 20 Reavers. Awesome.

So sad that Wash is dead. :(

The great Josh Whedon demanded a sacrifice! Not simply a minor character would suffice, but truly one that the fans cared for! Only Wash's blood would suffice!
    edited March 2014
    Hey ya'll! Guess what! Woooo!

Maintenance is now complete! Thanks for your patience. We'll see you back in-game!

-LaughingTrendy
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    WOW that was fast!
  • kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm late to the party, but...

When I used to play on a laptop, I eventually had the same thing start happening. Idling the laptop was fine. Start to try and play a game, heat... heat... hot... hotter... reboot.

Nothing helped. I tried everything.

Then, I finally caved, popped her open, and found so much dust and cat hair in my CPU fan, I nearly vomited...

I have no idea if that is your problem, and I can't recommend opening a laptop (years and years and years of schooling to do precisely that operation... and my laptop never worked right again... its delicate...) but if I had to guess... you have a cooling problem.
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    Oh thou chilleth to the bone... behold my tears frozen in vain. :eek:
    She didn't even read my thread at all, even any discerning mind reading my previous post here should be able to infer I've been in contact with tech support for a long running time. :(

I think the issue with your graphics have been explained to you by the other posters in your original thread. It appears that your hardware can't keep up with the game's requirements anymore (most likely due to being used over the years).

I wish there was a better tech answer to you but your symptoms may be something that Cryptic can't exactly help with. The NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE card that you mentioned might be coming to the end of it's service life.

Best of luck.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
This discussion has been closed.