test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

ESD Cardassian Tailor - Dialogue flavor text update, please

sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Federation Discussion
As most are well aware, the tailor NPC at Earth Spacedock is a Cardassian.

When a new FED player start out, they get referred to him. As per this slightly distorted screencap, the tailor is introduced as a Ghemik Telur, with an appropriately Cardassian-like introductory dialogue.

However, when interacting with Telur as a higher-level player, his introductory dialogue is now the rather uncharacteristically dour "Hello. You can change your uniform here."

As such, I'm suggesting that the NPC dialogue be updated to be more appropriately Cardassian, perhaps something like:

"Ah, welcome back, [RANK]! You look like you could do with a new outfit!

Please feel free to look around and let me know if there's anything that interests you."

It's a very minor dialogue update, but it'll be less jarring than what we currently have right now.
Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It would be nice to give all the ESD NPCs a bit more flavour in their scripts. Just a nice little padding to them all to make them feel like real characters - otherwise they're as good as a console.

In an ideal world where the dev team has an infinite amount of time on their hands, it would be cool to have mini missions with them all - extracting Telur's daughter from a Undine-torn Cardassia unlocks you some new off-duty outfits. Investigating the disappearance of a freighter near the Romulan border gives you a small discount with the commodities brokers...
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It would be nice to give all the ESD NPCs a bit more flavour in their scripts. Just a nice little padding to them all to make them feel like real characters - otherwise they're as good as a console.

In an ideal world where the dev team has an infinite amount of time on their hands, it would be cool to have mini missions with them all - extracting Telur's daughter from a Undine-torn Cardassia unlocks you some new off-duty outfits. Investigating the disappearance of a freighter near the Romulan border gives you a small discount with the commodities brokers...

In a Perfect World those NPCs would not have speech bubbles but would be voiced instead when you open their dialog window. ;)
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    timelord79 wrote: »
    In a Perfect World those NPCs would not have speech bubbles but would be voiced instead when you open their dialog window. ;)

I've often wished that. But I wonder what is involved in doing that for minor NPCs? They don't have to even be professional voice actors surely (if T'nae was a professional, I think they got ripped off), you just need a few one line recordings from a handful of people. When the voice entire episodes, they have an annoying habit of getting the first line of text voiced only so it's not like we're not used to it.
  • Options
    sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've often wished that. But I wonder what is involved in doing that for minor NPCs? They don't have to even be professional voice actors surely (if T'nae was a professional, I think they got ripped off), you just need a few one line recordings from a handful of people. When the voice entire episodes, they have an annoying habit of getting the first line of text voiced only so it's not like we're not used to it.

T'Nae is voiced by Lani Minella and she's not only a professional but a 20 year veteran of video game voice acting. The last role I remember her in (excluding STO where she plays... well everyone female) was Skyrim, she played Irileth, Jarl Balgruuf's Housecarl. And if I remember correctly, she's one of STO's acting directors.'

On topic: yes I totally approve of giving each npc some life to them
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    T'Nae is voiced by Lani Minella and she's not only a professional but a 20 year veteran of video game voice acting. The last role I remember her in (excluding STO where she plays... well everyone female) was Skyrim, she played Irileth, Jarl Balgruuf's Housecarl. And if I remember correctly, she's one of STO's acting directors.'

On topic: yes I totally approve of giving each npc some life to them

Then why on Earth does she sound like Siri tripping over lines? It's like someone told her T'nae was a robot with the computing capacity of an N64.
  • Options
    ddplattddplatt Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    He could do with his own shop, at the moment the hole area feels there "just there", guns and ammo one side and clothing the other, very GTA.
  • Options
    jmaster29jmaster29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ddplatt wrote: »
    He could do with his own shop, at the moment the hole area feels there "just there", guns and ammo one side and clothing the other, very GTA.

He gets his own shop in the ESD revamp.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Indeed.

Updating the NPC dialog flavor text seems like something that could be easily done as part of a weekly patch.

This reminds me of the Penny Arcade Extra Credits video on MMO Quest Design, where potential side quests could be hidden in NPC vendor dialogues.

This would probably call for a later, more extensive patch, but using the Telur example, when you begin interacting with him, he would greet you and offer the following dialogue options:

- Tailor
    - I'm tired of wearing this uniform!
    - Tell me about off-duty outfits
    - Tell me about yourself <--NEW
    - Exit

Choosing "Tell me about yourself" would get Telur to talk about his past, his family etc. Players would be able to exit the dialogue at any point, but if they go to the very end, he'll mention that he hasn't heard from his daughter on Cardassia since the Undine invasion, with the following options:

- I'm sorry to hear that. I hope she gets back to you soon.
    - Perhaps I may be able to help with that <-BEGIN SIDE QUEST

Completing this side quest would not only unlock the special off-duty costumes, but also slightly alter the "Tell me about yourself" dialogue so that Telur now states that his daughter is safe and somewhere else thanks to the player's efforts.
    ddplatt wrote: »
    jmaster29 wrote: »
    He gets his own shop in the ESD revamp.

I went on Tribble the other day, and I was very impressed with how the shop turned out, although I do think there should be shelves or wardrobes (or at the very least, a replicator console where the new clothes would presumably come out from).
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.