test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Getting a BOFF with Superior Romulan Operative

carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
edited March 2014 in The Academy
Am about to embark on trying to get a Romulan BOFF from the Embassay. I'll be trying with Blue's (Male Tactical as I know Females don't have it) as I understand there is no difference between them and a Purple.

However, it it just a case of going to the embassay BOFF store, slapping down my FC/dil and then random luck if I get a BOFF that has the trait?

Is that all there is to it? If so, what are the odds? 1 out of 10? 1 out of 100 (yikes!)?
Post edited by carlosbfly on

Comments

• Options
    chrisbrown12009chrisbrown12009 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have a sure fire way to get the BOFFs youre looking for although, it will take some time. You simply have to level another romulan. You will have the option to get the BOFF with Superior Romulan Op at levels 25, 35, and 45. you trick is to NOT allow them to join your crew, leave them as candidates and then you can mail them to yourself for use on another toon. Once you reach 45, mail them to yourself, delete the toon you used, wash, rinse repeat until you are criting with a rate above 25%.
  • Options
    arcjetarcjet Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    To answer your question directly: Yes, simply visit the Embassy and dump (a lot of) FC/Dil.

Don't worry, there is no random luck involved. The rare (blue) male tactical officer, as you will see in the tooltip, always has SRO. It's fixed.

Side note: To get more than one, you first have to put him into your active roster. You can only have one of those BOFFs in your candidate list at any time.

-edit-
    If you're talking about a romulan character, getting the BOFFs from the exchange or through leveling a second romulan might be cheaper than the embassy option.
  • Options
    carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    arcjet wrote: »
    To answer your question directly: Yes, simply visit the Embassy and dump (a lot of) FC/Dil.

Don't worry, there is no random luck involved. The rare (blue) male tactical officer, as you will see in the tooltip, always has SRO. It's fixed.

Side note: To get more than one, you first have to put him into your active roster. You can only have one of those BOFFs in your candidate list at any time.

-edit-
    If you're talking about a romulan character, getting the BOFFs from the exchange or through leveling a second romulan might be cheaper than the embassy option.

Oh really? So if I buy a Male Rom Tac (as a Fed character) I will definitely get the ability? I heard they were very hard to get?
  • Options
    sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The embassy option costs like 60-80k fleet creds and 25k dil a piece. That is what Feds do to enjoy a small slice of the Romulan overpoweredness. They only come in tactical flavor, so we'll probably never be able to run five. But even 2-3 is better than nothing.

Now for Romulan characters, you definitely want to either buy them off the exchange for ten mil energy credits or trade them from other romulan alts you level up. 10 million energy credits is a bargain compared to 60,000-80,000 fleet credits and 25k dil in my opinion, Feds use the embassy option as they have no other choice. If you're curious which boffs have which trait, you can find out by mousing over their name/icon. This is also useful for hand picking which boff you get at level up; sometimes only one has SRO. If you see a Reman pop up as a choice at level up with superior infiltrator however you might better pick him and sell him for 20 mil, then use the money to buy two superior operatives.
  • Options
    achatefwachatefw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    carlosbfly wrote: »
    Oh really? So if I buy a Male Rom Tac (as a Fed character) I will definitely get the ability? I heard they were very hard to get?

The embassy provides only 1 tactical blue option with the superior operative trait.

If you want anything other than that for your romulan toon (i.e. science or engineering) the easiest way is to level another toon and pick the one in the quests with the Superior Operative trait. (31 nad 41 only I think....).

Remember that only Romulans can use the science and engineering Boffs with Superior Operative. The only ones available to the FED faction is via the embassy.
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    achatefw wrote: »

If you want anything other than that for your romulan toon (i.e. science or engineering) the easiest way is to level another toon and pick the one in the quests with the Superior Operative trait. (31 nad 41 only I think....).

This, assuming you are lucky and you get those reward boffs. I am in my second romulan character, level 40 now, and i NEVER received a boff with the SO trait.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The blue Male Tactical embassy BOFF has SRO, no luck involved just buy the right one. BTW he will turn purple when you seat him.
  • Options
    markdb2011markdb2011 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If you have multi roluman chars just have them sit in romulan command and have them do doff missions for the random romulan boff doff assignments. They are under personal tab.

You should be able to get few of these assignment daily. With the right doffs you can get it where its 50/50 blue/purple boff. If the Rng goddess likes you when it completes you can get a free sup Op to do what you please.

Ps. Reman ones are very rare I mean this you be lucky to even find this one and you better hope it drops sup inflitor
  • Options
    eurialoeurialo Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This, assuming you are lucky and you get those reward boffs. I am in my second romulan character, level 40 now, and i NEVER received a boff with the SO trait.

you can also try with doffs assignment in tau dewa sector block... sometime you can find missions for romulan/reman boffs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Playing STO spamming FAW is like playing chess using always the computer's suggested moves
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    eurialo wrote: »
    you can also try with doffs assignment in tau dewa sector block... sometime you can find missions for romulan/reman boffs.

Yup, i also try there almost every day, but no luck. I m already level 50 in my second romulan character, but still i never saw a boff with that trait. It is not like i want it, but i am really curious about it.
  • Options
    architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    markdb2011 wrote: »
    If you have multi roluman chars just have them sit in romulan command and have them do doff missions for the random romulan boff doff assignments. They are under personal tab.

You should be able to get few of these assignment daily. With the right doffs you can get it where its 50/50 blue/purple boff. If the Rng goddess likes you when it completes you can get a free sup Op to do what you please.

Ps. Reman ones are very rare I mean this you be lucky to even find this one and you better hope it drops sup inflitor

^^^ this . . . I have three Roms that hang out in Command when they are not fighting the Terran Empire.
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • Options
    spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ^^^ this . . . I have three Roms that hang out in Command when they are not fighting the Terran Empire.
    When I created my first Romulan toon, a tac and levelled him through the several missions, he was quite lucky and got 2 free SRO engineers, who are still with me.
    Then I levelled up 2 more Romulan toons, who got one SRO both, if I remember well.
    Anyway , that is what I do : I let them hanging out in the Command center and, from time to time (it's rare though ), you get a "evaluate Romulan/Reman boff " under the personal ... I think I got about 5 SRO so far and selled them on the exchange and that helped me to buy the Klingon Marion ... and I've not started doing that so long time ago.
    Remember to check the shipboard update not the sector update ... it changes every hour
    I have a sure fire way to get the BOFFs youre looking for although, it will take some time. You simply have to level another romulan. You will have the option to get the BOFF with Superior Romulan Op at levels 25, 35, and 45. you trick is to NOT allow them to join your crew, leave them as candidates and then you can mail them to yourself for use on another toon. Once you reach 45, mail them to yourself, delete the toon you used, wash, rinse repeat until you are criting with a rate above 25%.
    Can you mail them to a fed toon of yours as well?
    Anyway, once I tried to email one to my tac toon and he got lost in the many and many exchange spam mails that if I have to stay there and delete all of the exchange mails ... I prefer to buy them off the exchange.
    Really, DEVS ... why don't you remove completely all of this "you have sold x item" spam if the mailbox can't contain more than 300 mails and just keep the "this item has not been sold and it's now returned to you" ones ? Or increase the capacity of that mailbox a lot.
    It's very counter-intuitive : if someone plays a lot, as YOU would like to ... of course he'll get a lot of this useless spam.
    Is the mailbox account-related or every toon has its own mailbox? don't know ...
    P58WJe7.jpg

• Options
    chrisbrown12009chrisbrown12009 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I am sure you can mail it to a fed toon, but i dont know if you as a fed toon, if you can use it.