test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Something that the Crypyic team should consider updating

cradiacradia Member Posts: 31 Arc User
When will it be possible to do things onboard the ship while the ship is actually traveling through space to its next destination, like DOFF Mission assignments, sitting in the ship lounge or the ready room or the Captains Quarters, without the ship being parked in space until you exit the interior of the ship. You could have your #2 or whoever is in Communications contact you that you have arrived at your next destination.
Post edited by cradia on

Comments

• hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The day we get that kind of update is the day pigs evolve, grow wings, and fly away, robbing the world of sweet delicious bacon. Eventually mankind begins to wage savage wars over what bacon is left on the planet.
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    cradia wrote: »
    When will it be possible to do things onboard the ship while the ship is actually traveling through space to its next destination, like DOFF Mission assignments, sitting in the ship lounge or the ready room or the Captains Quarters, without the ship being parked in space until you exit the interior of the ship. You could have your #2 or whoever is in Communications contact you that you have arrived at your next destination.

That is not possible with the game engine, the ship interior and space are 2 separate maps and have no connection to each other, so will never happen.
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    The day we get that kind of update is the day pigs evolve, grow wings, and fly away, robbing the world of sweet delicious bacon. Eventually mankind begins to wage savage wars over what bacon is left on the planet.

Ill beat u to it lmao
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • therealmttherealmt Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It will never happen.

Wait for Star Citizen ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • saborethsaboreth Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    We can transwarp readily enough. Down at Starfleet Academy I can choose to beam right out into Sirius sector space. It can be done. If they make it so you have to, say, talk to your Helm office, select a destination, select a timeframe (five, ten, fifteen minutes) then go on about your business in the ship, boom. You can get a notice "Arrived at destination" and then leave the ship interior whenever to return to the sector space. It would make hanging around inside your ship and getting things done a bit cooler. Even better if you can take some friends with you!
  • therealmttherealmt Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    saboreth wrote: »
    We can transwarp readily enough. Down at Starfleet Academy I can choose to beam right out into Sirius sector space. It can be done. If they make it so you have to, say, talk to your Helm office, select a destination, select a timeframe (five, ten, fifteen minutes) then go on about your business in the ship, boom. You can get a notice "Arrived at destination" and then leave the ship interior whenever to return to the sector space. It would make hanging around inside your ship and getting things done a bit cooler. Even better if you can take some friends with you!

It will never be realistic without using weird tricks. And you talk as if its really simple, its not.

Im not saying it cannot be done, but if you really want to implement something like this you might as well rewrite half of the engine, which is way too much investement for a chinese company, lockboxes is where the $$$ is, and powercreep.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited March 2014

What you want is impossible with the current game engine. They would have to rebuild a new STO to a open sandbox environment and complete reegineering.
  • uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    That is not possible with the game engine, the ship interior and space are 2 separate maps and have no connection to each other, so will never happen.

It shouldn't be overly difficult to do. Yes they're separate maps but how about simply beaming off your bridge to a different map, maybe after a certain amount of time has passed? Currently you beam back to the map you were previously on and in the same location, so the game knows where you last were. How about changing that info to your destination, either a space or planetary system map? So you beam to your bridge, choose your destination, maybe you see space pass by on the view screen, and after a little while you can beam off to your destination.

(for an example, when you move from Tau Dewa to New Romulus, or Sirius to Sol, your ship always spawns in the same area. Use those coordinates when you beam off your bridge if you set New Romulus or Sol as your destination. What difference does it make going from Sirius to Sol or your bridge to Sol?)

I'm sure they can figure it out if they had the desire, but of course things like the unnecessary ESD revamp take priority for some reason.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It shouldn't be overly difficult to do. Yes they're separate maps but how about simply beaming off your bridge to a different map, maybe after a certain amount of time has passed? Currently you beam back to the map you were previously on and in the same location, so the game knows where you last were. How about changing that info to your destination, either a space or planetary system map? So you beam to your bridge, choose your destination, maybe you see space pass by on the view screen, and after a little while you can beam off to your destination.

(for an example, when you move from Tau Dewa to New Romulus, or Sirius to Sol, your ship always spawns in the same area. Use those coordinates when you beam off your bridge if you set New Romulus or Sol as your destination. What difference does it make going from Sirius to Sol or your bridge to Sol?)

I'm sure they can figure it out if they had the desire, but of course things like the unnecessary ESD revamp take priority for some reason.

Yes, they could probably put timers in and plop you at your destination however at that point sector space is pointless and you'd never see red alerts, and other things.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited March 2014

The ship and the person on the ground are essentially the same thing: an avatar for the player.
    And you can only exist in one place at the time: either in sector space or on your ship.
    You can't be on both at the same time, which would be required for you to move in sector space.

Oh, BTW the changes to ESD are done by completely different people than those who make alterations to the game's engine. So I really don't get your complaint.
    Are you demanding the environment artists should be working on stuff they're not trained or qualified to do?
  • redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    a huge cash cow that Cryptic is missing out on is custom interiors. They already do good with costumes/uniforms and Bridge packs. They need to keep going with the corridors, mess hall, Sickbay, Engineering, Ready Room, Captians quarters. Science lab, Also whoever makes maps and enviroments at cryptic could full time make holodeck programs, like dancing orion slave girls lounge, or whatever, the possibilities are limitless as to how many different programs you can make. They dont have to be too fancy just simple things like "Jungle" or a canyon to fly your hover pack around in. Sell them for lobi or say 20 zen. Just have something for the holodecks to do. Right now they are just empty space. IF players could choose the type of chairs, color of the walls and carpet, type of tables and fictures, decorations etc it would make a profit. I know to build from scratch all that is expensive and time consuming but there are millions of pre-made digital furnishing out there that people have made for games like Second Life and the such. I'm sure cryptic could purchase terabytes of pre-made tabels and chairs and decorations and flooring and on and on to give us the ability to create our own special custom ship interiors. I would go all steam-punk inside my ship. (I know not Trek-ish but still cool)
    edited March 2014

Then you do not understand the game engine, your ship in space IS you, it is your avatar, or do you not understand what caused the glitch that allowed you to look like your ship when on the ground. Please learn about game engines before you start talking about something you obviously have no idea about.
    edited March 2014
    a huge cash cow that Cryptic is missing out on is custom interiors. They already do good with costumes/uniforms and Bridge packs. They need to keep going with the corridors, mess hall, Sickbay, Engineering, Ready Room, Captians quarters. Science lab, Also whoever makes maps and enviroments at cryptic could full time make holodeck programs, like dancing orion slave girls lounge, or whatever, the possibilities are limitless as to how many different programs you can make. They dont have to be too fancy just simple things like "Jungle" or a canyon to fly your hover pack around in. Sell them for lobi or say 20 zen. Just have something for the holodecks to do. Right now they are just empty space. IF players could choose the type of chairs, color of the walls and carpet, type of tables and fictures, decorations etc it would make a profit. I know to build from scratch all that is expensive and time consuming but there are millions of pre-made digital furnishing out there that people have made for games like Second Life and the such. I'm sure cryptic could purchase terabytes of pre-made tabels and chairs and decorations and flooring and on and on to give us the ability to create our own special custom ship interiors. I would go all steam-punk inside my ship. (I know not Trek-ish but still cool)

Actually, they have stated that they make little to no money on stuff like bridge packs and interiors, that combined with little reason to ever go into your ship, makes it a waste of time to do this.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Not possible. Your ship is your player character, just with another costume on it. You cannot be in 2 places at once.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Set default Docked bridge (for my sweet oddy bridge!)
    Bridge access to bank, exchange and mail.
    Bridge access to ESD zones chat (for community).
    Personal option to open bridge or not to others. If open people can rightclick your name and "beam to bridge".

Please.

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Actually, they have stated that they make little to no money on stuff like bridge packs and interiors, that combined with little reason to ever go into your ship, makes it a waste of time to do this.

Well, with all due respect, but have they seen their bridges?
    I mean the C-Store ones availible to purchase. Not quite the top notch quality and they're like concert halls. Boffs fall through the floor or float over the chairs. Especially the Federation packs. The KDF ones are slightly better IMHO, they're still very large, but the BoP bridges for example are excellent in my book.
    Ofcourse they won't make a lot of money on them, even though I own quite a few myself.

They could make money on this if they invested more in creation of full interiors with higher quality(like the new stuff they've been pulling out - Romulan ship interiors or the new Fed. interiors from the tutorial). What I'm thinking is making the ship interiors STO's version of player housing present in many MMOs out there. If they make customizable interiors of higher quality I think they'll sell. Especially if they manage to tie some activity with them like social games (poker, video tongo, etc.) or some daily missions akin to something we saw in the shows.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • mrj58mrj58 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    therealmt wrote: »
    It will never happen.

Wait for Star Citizen ;)

Agreed. Star Citizen is also supposed to be mod friendly, with player run servers, and the game developers are fully expecting fans to make Star Trek, Star Wars, BSG, Firefly mods. So probably a year or two after Star Citizen is released someone will make a Star Trek mod, and we'll get a proper Star Trek MMO, albeit an unofficial one. And then bye, bye Star Trek Online, and I'll never play a Cryptic game again.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    mrj58 wrote: »
    Agreed. Star Citizen is also supposed to be mod friendly, with player run servers, and the game developers are fully expecting fans to make Star Trek, Star Wars, BSG, Firefly mods. So probably a year or two after Star Citizen is released someone will make a Star Trek mod, and we'll get a proper Star Trek MMO, albeit an unofficial one. And then bye, bye Star Trek Online, and I'll never play a Cryptic game again.

am I the only one who LOL at this?
    GwaoHAD.png
  • guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Player operated MMO is never going to work due to human nature. People always want more. It will end up with abusive admins and hackers/exploiters everywhere.

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014

It also works with 3D Printers and will make you the pizza you want to eat while playing.

It is the double rainbow of MMOs. Just wait. It will kill all competition!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well, didn't take long for this to turn into a "PRAISE BE STAR CITIZEN!" thread... :P
    edited March 2014

They also once posted that cruisers were not profitable. Yet the Avenger and the Galaxy Bundle are recent stuff they did for cruisers. So ... their metrics don't impress me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    Well, didn't take long for this to turn into a "PRAISE BE STAR CITIZEN!" thread... :P

It'll be like minecraft with raids and loot and purples that are so real you can smell the laser burns on your rug!

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mrj58mrj58 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2014

I should have mentioned that back in 2008/2009 the Star Trek Online Devs were promising all sorts of cool features that never panned out. The same thing might happen with Star Citizen, although they haven't given a firm release date. Instead they say it will be released when it's ready and not just slapped together and released as is, with the hope of fixing it later, like STO in early 2010.

There is precedent for high quality player made Star Trek mods to commercial games. Someone recently made a total Star Trek conversion to Sins of the Solar Empire. And Bridge Commander would have been forgotten shortly after it was released, if not for the player made mods that extended that games life longer than it had any business being.
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    am I the only one who LOL at this?

No sir you were not ;)
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    askray wrote: »
    Yes, they could probably put timers in and plop you at your destination however at that point sector space is pointless and you'd never see red alerts, and other things.

It already is sort of pointless, when you're simply traveling somewhere anyway. And you wouldn't have to travel via your bridge all the time, just when you feel like it. When you want to do red alerts or use a cargo vessel you'd travel normally.

It could be interesting if you could bring others along :) Anyone with you on your bridge when you set your destination would also get the same destination, or maybe would get a pop up asking to either accept location or beam out and you have 10 seconds to decide before automatic beam out. It's not impossible.

Then you do not understand the game engine, your ship in space IS you, it is your avatar, or do you not understand what caused the glitch that allowed you to look like your ship when on the ground. Please learn about game engines before you start talking about something you obviously have no idea about.

Yes I do know it, and it makes no difference. When you're on your bridge you do not exist anywhere else in the game. What's the problem? Enter bridge from anywhere, let's say ESD, input destination, wait a while (with an artificial timer), exit bridge at destination.

You're not actually moving or anything, it's just simulating traveling. It would work similar to transwarping, except you're "transwarping" from the bridge to a new destination rather than back where you started like now.

It's not impossible to do, but what is impossible is actually moving through sector space while on your bridge. But that's not what I'm talking about. What I'm saying is it's possible to simulate it through timers and the ability to exit the bridge at locations other than where you just were.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I should have mentioned that back in 2008/2009 the Star Trek Online Devs were promising all sorts of cool features that never panned out. The same thing will happen with Star Citizen, although they haven't given a firm release date. Instead they say it will be released when it's ready and not just slapped together and released as is, with the hope of fixing it later, like STO in early 2010.
    Fixed that. Seriously.... It'd take a lot of Kool-Aid to get me to believe the hype around Star Citizen.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This is a very popular topic which comes up a lot.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    I've definitely gone over this plenty of times in the past, but my search-fu seems to be weak today.

Note that I don't think I've ever used the word 'impossible.' It's all code, nothing is impossible given enough time, money, and manpower.

However, what I have said in the past, and will repeat now, is that our game, as it stands today, is not set up for this at all. It's not an engine limitation per se, and it's not because our engine is old. It's because it's not how the game was designed. Again, possible, but not probable.

The problem, as stated by others, is that your "character" is both a ship, and a captain, simultaneously. When you are in space, you are drawn as a ship. When you are on the ground, you are drawn as a person. So, when you are in sector space (as a ship) and go to your bridge (as a person), your ship ceases to exist in sector space. You are no longer there. You are ONLY on your bridge. When you leave your bridge, and go back to sector space, you become a ship again, and your captain (and the bridge) cease to exist.

So, there is no easy way to track you through sector space while you are actually on another map. Again, this is likely possible, but is not set up, and would require significant coding.

To my (non-programmer) mind, the best alternative is the count-down method others have mentioned. Instead of "flying" your ship from the bridge, you go to your helm officer, tell him which system to go to, and a timer counts down however long it takes to get there. During the countdown you can meander around your interior, doing whatever captainy things captains do. When the timer is up, your helm officer informs you that you have arrived, and you can load that map.

The problem with the above is what happens when you leave your bridge part way through the count down. If you leave at the start, you go back to where ever you left to get to your bridge. If you leave at the end, you go to your destination. If you leave in the middle, where do you go? Remember, there is nothing tracking you through sector space, so we have no functional idea where your "ship" is right now. Instead, we just know that you're 50% done with the countdown. So, we can't drop you in the right spot in sector space, do we dump you back at the start? We can't let you cheat by going to the end point. . .

Another issue is how to determine the timing. I guess we could manually fly from every planet to every other planet to get a baseline, but that's annoying. IMO I think this idea best works with a unified sector space, so that there is no map loading between sectors. Timing things in that mode would be a much simpler task, as we could just determine distances between them. A unified sector space would also make it easier to drop you in an appropriate spot if you were to leave your bridge part way through your journey. It's something that has been tossed about, but I haven't heard anything concrete about that in a while.

In addition, I wouldn't really want to do this unless we did some major bridge refresh as well. I think we have a lot of terrible bridges in the game. I also think it would be cool if your viewscreen could reflect the system you are at, but that would be more tech, and wouldn't really work until the above bits happened. They're all nice ideas, and I think everyone on the team would love to see it, but there is a LOT of work involved, and a lot of edge cases that can break things horribly. It's not a trivial undertaking.

Keep in mind, the above suggestion would only be for travel, not fighting anything. That would be an even bigger can of worms to wrestle with.

The monitor overlay idea has been raised a number of times before, but imo it would just feel chintzy. We couldn't do a full 3d bridge overlay, it would just be a texture. Basically cutting a viewscreen out of cardboard and pasting it onto your monitor. I don't think anyone would be satisfied by that.
    shpoks wrote: »
    They could make money on this if they invested more in creation of full interiors with higher quality(like the new stuff they've been pulling out - Romulan ship interiors or the new Fed. interiors from the tutorial).

I certainly don't have access to their budgets, but the fact that Cryptic hasn't made any more C-Store interiors since the TOS and DS9 bundles (the TOS and Belfast interiors are amazing) suggests that it's not worth their time/effort.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I always think it's funny when people say "the game can't Handle it" or "the game wasn't designed with this in mind". There is already a working feature that would allow this very thing to be possible, it just involves a very small work around as well as a little coding to determine distance and velocity into time.

I'm talking about the transwarp functions. As it stands, we have transwarp capabilities that allow us to instantaneously jump from one point in space to another, with a slight cooldown afterward. Thinking outside the box, we throw that logic in reverse, putting the cool down first.

Basically what I'm suggesting is this:

From the Bridge (preferrably while sitting in the captain's chair), you can bring up the map as per usual, with the added feature of double clicking a sector to bring up that sectors map, then double clicking your destination, where your Captain gives the "Engage" emote and the view screen goes to warp. From there, the coding would take how far that destination is as well as how fast your ship goes (minus transwarp drive) and places a countdown timer. At the end of the timer, you get a popup from your first officer saying you're there. Accepting the option will transwarp you to your location, while saying "Not Yet" will place it on the side menu, next to invite to bridge and leave bridge, Fully charged and ready to use.

Once you use it, you load out of your bridge and into the map, just like you had transwarped there. It's a quick and dirty work around, but it allows you to be on your ship while "travelling" to your next stop.

To further enhance this function, you could place a 5% chance for alternate missions to happen. These can be anything from mysterious anomalies, to raider, to a distress call (which might be an ambush. It would happen randomly during the countdown timer, and the player would receive a pop up giving the appropriate dialog, as well as the option to stay on course or divert course to the situation.

It's a great way to add the Bridge travel that people want while adding a little something extra for the roleplayers. Having friends on your bridge would allow them to travel with you, and given that you're "traveling" at the appropriate speed (time based on distance and velocity), you can activate this power when ever you want. Changing course mid flight though, would cause it to restart from your original location though.

This seems like a totally do-able way of getting this feature into game, but making it a little more than just a boring timed transwarp jump. It would also still be entirely valid if they made it all one giant sector space, ot left it instanced as it is now.

What do you guy think?
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    What do you guy think?

Does your proposal require the game to track your ship's position on the sector map in any way? It's been repeatedly said that implementing that functionality is a non-trivial task. This doesn't mean impossible; it means it would be difficult and time-consuming.

As tacofangs has said, what happens when you leave the ship interior or otherwise interrupt the timer before arriving at your destination? Do you end up back where you started?

And most importantly, what would you do while on your bridge? Doff assignments? Stare at the ceiling? At least in Sector Space, there are other players to look at...
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.