test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[FANART] USS Odyssey (NX-94276) Intrepid-class MSD

sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Ten Forward
http://sumghai.deviantart.com/art/USS-Odyssey-NX-94276-Master-Systems-Display-440047612

Master Systems Display for the USS Odyssey, an Intrepid-class Long Range Science Vessel launched in 2409 by Starfleet, under the command of Captain Robin L Zhang.

The Odyssey's MSD is located at the back of the bridge, where a member of the bridge crew would monitor the overall status of the vessel, and if required relay the relevant information to the Captain and First Officer. Detailed information such as power / resource allocation/usage, shields and weapons status as well as science sensor readings have been relegated to other dedicated stations.

Main Schematic
By default, this shows a lateral (side-on) cross-section of the current vessel, along with major subsystems and their respective locations throughout the ship. This can be easily changed to various other display modes in a manner to be described shortly.

Reconfigurable Auxiliary Display A
Located to the far left of the MSD is one of two supporting displays, which can be easily reconfigured to display various information, depending on the alert status or mission requirements - for instance, when at warp under normal cruise conditions, it displays the Subspace Field Geometry as measured by the appropriate sensors.

Reconfigurable Auxiliary Display B
Similarly, on the far right of the MSD is another supporting display. This is mainly used in conjunction with the Arrow Pad to show close-ups of the ship's schematic, or to review subsystem component operational states.

Arrow Pad
Below Aux Display B is a keypad that allows the user to move a cursor over the current view to zoom in and examine a small area of the ship in finer detail. I'm guessing the random numbers are "shortcut" keys to elements or subsystems of interest.

View Filters
At the (figurative) heart of the MSD is a small set of view "filters" that can be used to quickly change the main MSD view to different configurations:
- Internal Views: Either default lateral cross-section overview, or any of the 15 decks that typically make up Intrepid-class vessels
- External View: Any of the six nautical orientations relative to the vessel - dorsal, fore, port, starboard, aft and ventral
- Filters: Either an overview, or just one of a few major subsystems - structural integrity, environmental, electro-plasma system (EPS) and optical data network (ODN)

Subsystem Status Displays
At the very bottom of the MSD are a series of buttons and indicators, for showing the current status of various subsystems. As far as I'm personally concerned, they serve the same purpose as those little viewscreen blinkies. =P

Some notes about my rendition of the Intrepid-class for the Odyssey

- The NX registry is canonically reserved for prototype (i.e. class leaders like the USS Intrepid) or experimental vessels. My head-canon would justify the Odyssey, as the last of the Intrepids, to have been commissioned for the express purpose of field testing and evaluating an improved Quantum Slipstream Drive (QSD) over a five-year exploration mission - note the little Quantum Field Focus Controller thingamajig tucked under the main deflector assembly.

- Crew accommodations are concentrated in the primary hull, with senior officer / VIP quarters on the upper decks, junior offices in the middle and enlisted crew shared bunks on decks 6~8.

- I've replaced the Aeroshuttle (which was never seen on-screen) with an alcove for any visiting Danube-class runabouts. The producers of Star Trek: Voyager ended up using the Delta Flyer anyway for their "atmospheric shuttle" role, and I wasn't inclined to completely redesign the ventral face of the primary saucer just to patch over the gaping hole and replace it with a torpedo launcher / sensor dome doohickey.

- Speaking of the Delta Flyer, I've redesigned the shuttlebay(s) to better accommodate it for launch / landing / maintenance. I also took the liberty of redesignating it as the Delta-class shuttle.

- It was never canonically stated where Astrometrics was on Voyager, although fans often claimed it was on deck 10. The official on-screen MSD shows an Astrometrics-like compartment on deck 8, just below the computer core, so I redesigned the schematic to better resemble the actual Astrometics room layout on TV. I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

- I never really liked the design of the torpedo launchers on canon MSDs, especially that weird hanging blob-on-a-stick doodad, so I devised my own version. Also note that the Odyssey is primarily armed with Quantum Torpedoes - the few Photon Torpedo casings you see are for probes and the occasional crew funeral.

LCARS color scheme inspired from STO, graphics and elements based on a combination of official and fanon MSDs

Drafted in Inkscape 0.48.
Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    sumghai wrote: »

I like this a lot. MSDs are one of my favorite artistic facets of Star Trek. Yours has obvious effort and quality put into it, please do more of them.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    maelstromvortexmaelstromvortex Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Nicely done. Do the Bortasq next? It's one of my favorite ships.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Do the Bortasq next? It's one of my favorite ships.

This request is going to be very very difficult to fulfill.

There really isn't much reference material available for Klingon-like LCARS, and nobody has ever done canon Klingon MSDs. The Intrepid-class MSD shown in the OP was based on existing artwork and design rules devised by the LCARS47 project.

Secondly, I don't know how many decks the Bortasqu'-class has, where major subsystems such as the warp core would be located, or even what symbol standards Klingons use to represent little things like chairs, replicators, consoles etc.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    How about the D'Deridex warbird? :o

Or one of the other Cryptic designs? I like the artistic liberties you took with your Intrepid, and your attention to detail and dedication to it making sense (even if it was head-canon) is something I'd be interested in seeing.

Since most of the Cryptic designs are based on existing Star Trek art, it might give you a little bit more wiggle room to put down your own ideas on what the little doo-dads they added might do for STO, while still being able to keep close to canon.

I can't really mention it enough just how much I'm appreciable of your work.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Amazing work. Kudos for the detail and effort.

Name's a little odd for a 2409 ship though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    How about the D'Deridex warbird? :o

Hmm...

Surprisingly, there's much more reference material for Romulan LCARS and D'Deridex MSDs available, which would serve as a good starting point.

I should also probably do some research on Romulan Republic LCARS graphic elements and color schemes, so I may have to bring my Level 1 Romulan alt out of mothballs :)
    Or one of the other Cryptic designs? I like the artistic liberties you took with your Intrepid, and your attention to detail and dedication to it making sense (even if it was head-canon) is something I'd be interested in seeing.

Since most of the Cryptic designs are based on existing Star Trek art, it might give you a little bit more wiggle room to put down your own ideas on what the little doo-dads they added might do for STO, while still being able to keep close to canon.

There's much I want to do in terms of fan MSDs / LCARS displays, and I think it would be good if I did a few more canon designs as warm-up exercises before I start tackling Cryptic originals.
    I can't really mention it enough just how much I'm appreciable of your work.

Your sentiments are, in turn, very much appreciated :)
    Name's a little odd for a 2409 ship though.

Yeah, it's a bit odd, considering that STO canon already has a USS Odyssey as the class leader for the Ent-F. I suppose one could always downplay the discrepancy as clerical error on the part of Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards planning committees. :P
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    sumghai wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a bit odd, considering that STO canon already has a USS Odyssey as the class leader for the Ent-F. I suppose one could always downplay the discrepancy as clerical error on the part of Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards planning committees. :P

I simply assumed your Odyssey was around from before the Odyssey-class was released, and thus would have no real desire to rename your ship.

However, if you want to get into explanations, it could just as easily be a result of the ship being a testbed for quantum slipstream technology that would eventually find itself on the Odyssey-class. There might be several USS Odyssey ships (of various class) each testing a particular component found on the eventual prototype ship.

The ship might have been purposefully given the name USS Odyssey as a form of subterfuge or decoy to throw any espionage agents off the trail of the real Odyssey if Starfleet records had one or more USS Odyssey's listed in its ship registry (particularly if experimental technology found on both were present).
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I simply assumed your Odyssey was around from before the Odyssey-class was released, and thus would have no real desire to rename your ship.

I'll sheepishly admit that's actually what happened. :o
    However, if you want to get into explanations, it could just as easily be a result of the ship being a testbed for quantum slipstream technology that would eventually find itself on the Odyssey-class. There might be several USS Odyssey ships (of various class) each testing a particular component found on the eventual prototype ship.

The ship might have been purposefully given the name USS Odyssey as a form of subterfuge or decoy to throw any espionage agents off the trail of the real Odyssey if Starfleet records had one or more USS Odyssey's listed in its ship registry (particularly if experimental technology found on both were present).

Now this would be a fun idea.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ah Sumgai. I really like to see your threads.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    Very cool. Nice work!
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I really do love MSDs. The MSD representation of upgrading ships with better/different equipment was probably one of my favorite parts about designing ships in Star Trek: Starship Creator(the shuttle bay would be reconfigured to match the type of shuttles you chose to use on it, each type of fusion reactor looked different, etc.).

Thank you for sharing this! I probably spent a good half-hour just zooming around oogling all the little details you put in here and there. Total geek moment there. :D

If you're taking ideas, it might be interesting to see your take on something like the Avenger or Armitage class in STO.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    szerontzur wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing this! I probably spent a good half-hour just zooming around oogling all the little details you put in here and there. Total geek moment there. :D

I tend to do that whenever I come across someone else's MSDs as well :)

Just knocked this together to show what my LCARS scheme would look like under different alert states (Normal/Cruise, Grey Mode, Blue Alert, Yellow Alert, Red Alert):

http://sumghai.deviantart.com/art/25th-Cent-Starfleet-LCARS-Color-Schemes-Example-440414373
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Righto, here's MSD #2. I'll confess that I've been indulging a little bit with the backstory...:o

http://sumghai.deviantart.com/art/USS-Hinata-NCC-73204-Master-Systems-Display-444802022

Master Systems Display for the USS Hinata, a Nova-class Science Vessel launched in 2368 by Starfleet. By 2409, it had been refitted to the Rhode Island-class variant, and is presently under the command of Captain Keitaro Urashima.

The Hinata's MSD is located at the back of the bridge, where a member of the bridge crew would monitor the overall status of the vessel, and if required relay the relevant information to the Captain and First Officer. Detailed information such as power / resource allocation/usage, shields and weapons status as well as science sensor readings have been relegated to other dedicated stations.

Main Schematic
    By default, this shows a lateral (side-on) cross-section of the current vessel, along with major subsystems and their respective locations throughout the ship. This can be easily changed to various other display modes in a manner to be described shortly.

Reconfigurable Auxiliary Display A
    Located to the far left of the MSD is one of two supporting displays, which can be easily reconfigured to display various information, depending on the alert status or mission requirements - for instance, when at warp under normal cruise conditions, it displays the Subspace Field Geometry as measured by the appropriate sensors.

Reconfigurable Auxiliary Display B
    Similarly, on the far right of the MSD is another supporting display. This is mainly used in conjunction with the Arrow Pad to show close-ups of the ship's schematic, or to review subsystem component operational states.

Arrow Pad
    Below Aux Display B is a keypad that allows the user to move a cursor over the current view to zoom in and examine a small area of the ship in finer detail. I'm guessing the random numbers are "shortcut" keys to elements or subsystems of interest.

View Filters
    At the (figurative) heart of the MSD is a small set of view "filters" that can be used to quickly change the main MSD view to different configurations:
    - Internal Views: Either default lateral cross-section overview, or any of the eight decks that typically make up Rhode Island-class vessels
    - External View: Any of the six nautical orientations relative to the vessel - dorsal, fore, port, starboard, aft and ventral
    - Filters: Either an overview, or just one of a few major subsystems - structural integrity, environmental, electro-plasma system (EPS) and optical data network (ODN)

Subsystem Status Displays
    At the very bottom of the MSD are a series of buttons and indicators, for showing the current status of various subsystems. As far as I'm personally concerned, they serve the same purpose as those little viewscreen blinkies. =P

As the name of the ship and current Commanding Officer suggests, the Hinata and its crew are essentially based on the romantic comedy manga series Love Hina by Ken Akamatsu; my interpretation of the source material resulted in the following parallels / observations:

- The ship is named after the traditional Japanese Inn from the manga (Hinata House / Hinata Inn / Hinata-sou -> USS Hinata)

- The manga depicts the run-down inn as having been managed by generations of the Urashima family, only recently re-purposed as an all-girls dormitory by its previous owner, Hinata "Granny Hina" Urashima. In the Star Trek: Odyssey fanon, the USS Hinata was one of the earliest Nova-class vessels to be commissioned and launched after its eponymous class leader, and initially commanded by then-Captain Hinata Urashima for a number of years up to and including her promotion to Rear Admiral, whereupon she used it as the flagship for her task force; after she was kicked upstairs into the Admiralty, she arranged to have her grandson Keitaro, the only direct descendant in the Urashima family currently serving in Starfleet, to assume command (yes, it's blatant neopotism, but apparently Starfleet Command decided to humor the old batty crone by letting this slide).

- The original Keitaro Urashima was a struggling student who failed his university entrance examinations twice, evicted from home by his disapproving parents, and ended up taking over management of the inn from his grandmother. Odyssey fanon instead has Keitaro already commissioned as a Lieutenant in Starfleet, and having failed his Bridge Officer's Test twice, got passed around between other Starfleet ships by their exasperated captains until he ended up on the Hinata; after a number of events, Keitaro eventually passes the test on his fourth attempt and was fast-tracked to full Captaincy due to Starfleet desperately needing to replace losses in the ongoing Federation-Klingon war.

- Keitaro's love interest Naru Narusegawa was originally a recent high school graduate preparing for her university exam, and as a typical Tsundere, initially gives him a hard time due to her perception of him as a clumsy pervert. Odyssey's Lt. Narusegawa is also preparing for her first attempt at the Bridge Officer's Test, and is similarly annoyed with Keitaro's persistent attempts to fulfill his "childhood promise" of becoming a Starfleet captain; she eventually warms up to him and becomes the Hinata's XO.

- Other Love Hina supporting characters have also been reinterpreted as senior officers / key crew / supporting characters:
    • Noriyasu Seta, Keitaro and Naru's mentor, is a Lt. Cmdr. and the Hinata's Chief Science Officer, who once worked for the Daystrom Institute Archaeological Council
    • Motoko Aoyama, aka "Kendo Girl", is a Lt. Cmdr. and pulls double duty as the Hinata's Security and Tactical Chief
    • Mutsumi Otohime is a Lt. Cmdr. and the Hinata's Chief Medical Officer
    • Haruka Urashima, Keitaro's older cousin (and "aunt", due to a bizarre technicality) is a Lt. Cmdr. and the Ship's Counselor
    • Mitsune "Kitsune" Konno, the hard-drinking party girl, is a Lt. and the Operations Officer, constantly in debt due to her Dabo addiction
    • Kaolla Suu, the biosterous princess of the fictional Kingdom of Molmol, is a Lt. and the Chief Engineer (with her home country now re-interpreted as a Federation colony planet whose inhabitants adopted a monarchy)
    • Shinobu Maehara, the kind-hearted high school junior who looks up to Keitaro, is a Lt. j.g. and a Nurse
    • Mizuho Fujisawa, a character created specifically for the Love Hina Dreamcast games, is an Ensign and the Transporter Chief
    • Ema Maeda, the timid junior high school student who moves into Hinata Inn in the manga's epilogue, is a Chief Petty Officer and a Junior Science Officer specializing in Exobiology (as well as owning a pet charmeleon named Leon)
    • Haitani and Shirai, Keitaro's hopeless and bumbling friends, are relegated to comic relief as well as Redshirts repeatedly killed and revived under bizarre circumstances
    • Kanako Urashima, Keitaro's adopted creepy younger sister, is a Lt. and obstensibly assigned as Admiral "Granny" Urashima's adjutant; rumor has it that she actually works for Section 31 under Franklin Drake

- In keeping with the run-down inn theme, the Hinata has been patched and repaired over the years due to "battle damage" (read: shenanigans by the crew), and only recently refitted to the Rhode Island-class variant when the Admiralty decided that aversion to paperwork wasn't a sufficient excuse for not keeping the Hinata shipshape.

- The size and limited capabilities of the ship restrict the Hinata to short-term planetary surveys and anthropological studies; the cramped crew quarters serve as a nice parallel to the individual residents' rooms at Hinata Inn.

- My Odyssey fanon has Starfleet streamlining and consolidating its ship and shuttle classes as much as possible (e.g. the Aeroshuttles on Intrepid-class ships were decommissioned due to redundancy); while other Nova / Rhode Island-class ships lost their Waverider atmospheric shuttles by 2409, the Hinata managed to keep theirs. Also, the Hinata still uses the aging Type VIII shuttles instead of the Type IX or XI shuttles seen on newer Starfleet vessels.

- Love Hina's Kaolla Suu had a penchant for making mechanical robots resembling turtles, armed with all sorts of comically-implausible weaponry and dubbed Mecha-tama; her counterpart on the USS Hinata is no different, although in this case the Mecha-tama is actually the crew's epithet for an experimental Starfleet all-terrain variable-geometry ground vehicle used for planetary exploration.

LCARS color scheme inspired from STO, graphics and elements based on a combination of official and fanon MSDs; Characters based on Love Hina by Ken Akamatsu.

Drafted in Inkscape 0.48.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Something I wish Cryptic would/could* do is make the MSD on ship interiors match up with the ship. Wanna try your hand at an Avenger-class with upswept pylons? (You can get some idea of the deck count from the number of windows on the neck interior.)

* Not sure how technically feasible it is.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Something I wish Cryptic would/could* do is make the MSD on ship interiors match up with the ship.

I wrote an extensive tome (see sig) about ship interior customisation a while back, and mentioned the MSD artwork reflecting the player's actual ship class.

The dilemma is whether to:
    - Allow players to choose whatever bridge layout they want, but since the back wall of each bridge layout would be different, have a library of MSDs for each class made to every possible dimension.

- Limit layouts to particular classes, with a smaller library of appropriate MSDs.
    starswordc wrote: »
    Wanna try your hand at an Avenger-class with upswept pylons? (You can get some idea of the deck count from the number of windows on the neck interior.)

I'm currently more inclined to work on canon (i.e. TV and movie) classes first, but I might explore designs unique to STO in the future.