test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is the Kinetic Cutting Beam affected by +Beam Damage?

somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
Basically the topic - is the Borg Kinetic Cutting Beam affected by consoles that give +Beam Weapon Damage bonuses? I'm debating on grabbing like one Vulnerability Locator MK XII [+Beam] just for boosting my KCB, and getting the others in the weapon type I use (all of which are better than the blue MK XI ones I have now).

Anyone know how it works?
Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
Razira's Primus Database Page
Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jimqqijimqqi Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Regardless of whether it does or doesn't (it doesn't) You'd be losing damage by mixing tac consoles. Come on people this should be basic math. A percent of a bigger pool of damage is better than the same percent of a smaller pool.
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jimqqi wrote: »
    Regardless of whether it does or doesn't (it doesn't) You'd be losing damage by mixing tac consoles. Come on people this should be basic math. A percent of a bigger pool of damage is better than the same percent of a smaller pool.

And the difference using different consoles is small at best. 4%? Off of the base damage? That's nothing in the end.

Still, it doesn't work as you said. I guess nothing really does boost the KCB. Thanks.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    somebob wrote: »
    Basically the topic - is the Borg Kinetic Cutting Beam affected by consoles that give +Beam Weapon Damage bonuses? I'm debating on grabbing like one Vulnerability Locator MK XII [+Beam] just for boosting my KCB, and getting the others in the weapon type I use (all of which are better than the blue MK XI ones I have now).

Anyone know how it works?

No, it's not affected.
  • wolverine595959wolverine595959 Member Posts: 726
    edited March 2014
    of all consoles I would think maybe consoles that up kinetic but I do not see how torp consoles would translate to upping a beam weapon.
    Hey I Used to be Captain Data, well I guess I still am in game but the account link really screwed everything up :rolleyes:
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    of all consoles I would think maybe consoles that up kinetic but I do not see how torp consoles would translate to upping a beam weapon.

The devs have always emphatically stated that *nothing* affects the KCB. Nothing. And nothing does (except weapons power, of course).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • wolverine595959wolverine595959 Member Posts: 726
    edited March 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    The devs have always emphatically stated that *nothing* affects the KCB. Nothing. And nothing does (except weapons power, of course).

I know which is kind of dumb. It is the only weapon in this game that cannot be made better and really has the disadvantage that it has to hit hull. THe only plus is the OWA that you need the module for and really that is more benefit for a beam build or BOL build
    Hey I Used to be Captain Data, well I guess I still am in game but the account link really screwed everything up :rolleyes:
  • artemisa0kartemisa0k Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    While it isn't affected by consoles and such I'm pretty sure it is affected by anything that adds +alldamage (emergency to weapons 1 +10% and I believe there are a few others) cloak bonus and such as well.

Realistically it doesn't really need the buffs from consoles from what I have seen it does similar damage to a turret when hitting shields, considerably more when hitting bare hull and has the additional benefit of the 2pc which is amazing.
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    KCB is not affected by anything that boosts ANY kind of weapon damage (except weapon power). The only thing that's been confirmed to boost it's damage is the Assimilated Tractor Beam (which is why when a tac cube/gateway grabs you with one, it's probably best to use BFI, or watch your hull get burned away at 3-4k per second (8k crit if you're really unlucky) through your shields by the cutting beam that follows).

Also, anything that reduces your target's resistances will increase the damage it deals (IE disruptor proc, nanite disruptor proc, APB, APD, FOMM3). I don't know if APO, TF2 or APA3 boost it. I also believe it's affected by Starship Weapons Training and Starship Energy Weapons, and I believe Energy Weapon Specialization, but I am not completely sure. I'd have to check that in game.

Short of that, it's basically a torp in beam form that can't get a direct damage bonus from any consoles/BOff abilities (not that it needs it, it does 7-800 damage on bare hull with 75 weapons power, well over 1k if you have 100 weapons power, and sometimes up to 12-1400 if you hit the target with an APB).
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    KCB is not affected by anything that boosts ANY kind of weapon damage (except weapon power). The only thing that's been confirmed to boost it's damage is the Assimilated Tractor Beam (which is why when a tac cube/gateway grabs you with one, it's probably best to use BFI, or watch your hull get burned away at 3-4k per second (8k crit if you're really unlucky) through your shields by the cutting beam that follows).

Well, NPC's are known to cheat: you can't rely (in the least bit) on things working the same for human players.

As for the KCB human players get to use, I think you got your logic reversed: KCB's damage is not boosted by Assimilated Tractor Beam; rather, it's the other way around: the Assimilated Tractor Beam causes extra kinetic damage when used on a target that has been recently hit by your KCB (within the last 4 seconds).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Well, NPC's are known to cheat: you can't rely (in the least bit) on things working the same for human players.

As for the KCB human players get to use, I think you got your logic reversed: KCB's damage is not boosted by Assimilated Tractor Beam; rather, it's the other way around: the Assimilated Tractor Beam causes extra kinetic damage when used on a target that has been recently hit by your KCB (within the last 4 seconds).

IT DOES MORE DAMAGE!! RAAAAAH!!!!

-.-

Anyways, back to being serious. Really? I always thought it was the other way around. Oh wells, TIME TO TEST!!!
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)