test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

acceptance, and you. a horizon thread

thishorizonthishorizon Member Posts: 1,158
its going to be a casual game.

the changes have dictated it so. and we have fought with valor, have we not my friends? well, most of us have...and even for myself, ive had my moments of darkness.

i think at this point, we can metagame all we want.....i have just come to the conclusion that for solid PvP, we are going to have to look elsewhere.

and its a shame really...for us, the players...and for the developers of this game. i mean, we are all trekkies to some degree. and to see such epic possibilities for starship battles be brought to the status they are now....well.....

i think back to kirk at the Mutara nebula. i remember sisko at ds9 and the sacrifice of angels. thoughts occur of picard and riker.....and the many, many times they were outmatched yet still found a way to overcome. I. remember. janeway. and the year of hell.

this game is our nebula. we are outmatched, we have sacrificed, and we. have gone thru hell...in gaming.

and for what?

nothing.

its a casual game, my trek brothers.

and unfortunately, for myself....resistance to this game is futile.

i love trek.

i love gaming.

i love our community.

acceptance, my brothers. until the end.....

have fun kill bad guys
Post edited by thishorizon on

Comments

• Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    me and many others refused to accept the galaxy R as it was, and thus the glorious galaxy reboot happened! we won, we didn't accept, we

oh wait

it was the most disappointing thing in the games history. never mind. **** it. i'll quit before i accept though.

find superior treking experiences here http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-trek-armada-3

i know i have lattly
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Been saying this recently, will say it again here:

STO being a casual game doesn't make it a bad thing automatically. The method they've gone about it (endless, pointless grind; power creep; etc) is what has really hurt it badly for me at least.

Looking back even a year I would argue we'd already reached that point of it being a casual game, but all I really see is more and more of the same ole same ole at this point. More grinds, more power creep, and so on without end. That is what I've gotten tired of.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    adaephondelatadaephondelat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There is still a huge amount of time to invest to be succesfull in this game. You can't buy rep powers or fleet marks with your wallet.

You have the content of a game like Farmville, but you need time like in a fully fleshed-out MMO. It's not fish nor meat, as we say in Germany.
  • Options
    mdwgardiner1701mdwgardiner1701 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Horizon,

From one trekkie to another,

"Goodbye, Jean-Luc. I'm gonna miss you... you had such potential. But then again, all good things must come to an end..."
    Inner Circle / Special Circumstances
    Gardiner, Suval, Thran
    Korvak, Raketh, Xedar, Zidow
    Decis, Vesok
  • Options
    snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Diablo 3 is fun... Loot is back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ilhanskilhansk Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Don't give up damian.

Solid pvp can still be found in the game. We all just have to look harder thats all.
    Visit the Inner Circle YouTube Channel to watch some STO pew pew PVP action!

• Options
    ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Shaka, when the walls fell.
  • Options
    newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited March 2014
    Although one night 1vs1 you took me out to the woodshed and beat be silly, you were both humble and helpful - definitely one of the best all round pvp players out there. It's truly sad for a game when the good ones are mostly out the door - although I have seen you on a lot lately, don't know if it is pvp or pve.
  • Options
    thegrimcorsairthegrimcorsair Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Sokath, his eyes uncovered!
    If you feel Keel'el's effect is well designed, please, for your own safety, be very careful around shallow pools of water.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2014

That's Star Trek. In STO it's more like...Shaka, when the walls fell on him.
  • Options
    grandpadxxgrandpadxx Member Posts: 342
    edited March 2014
    Hello Damian,..

don't give up,.. only good things will happend in the Future.. so have patience.

;)

greetings from Germany

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies .

Just a reminder, all posts in the English-language forums must be in English. No other languages are allowed. ~Bluegeek
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    T'lilu SCI. / Dxxdavid TAK. / STO Inner Circle
    *** R.I.P. ***
  • Options
    wolverine595959wolverine595959 Member Posts: 726
    edited March 2014
    Damian,

as you can see from the environment around you you are not the fist to move on and will not be the last. This game has lost some incredible PvP players and the pool of incredible pvp Vets is drying up. What ever you decide to do I cannot fault you either way.
    Hey I Used to be Captain Data, well I guess I still am in game but the account link really screwed everything up :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I didn't see it as an "I quit" thread...

i love trek.

i love gaming.

i love our community.

have fun kill bad guys

...that's not a "goodbye" statement. That's the acceptance part of the game is what it is...and that he loves Trek, Gaming, and the Community too much to scoot and say goodbye - instead he's accepting it for what it is.

Which all in all, imho, is much sadder than a "goodbye" post...it's almost torturous, the acceptance and remaining.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I didn't see it as an "I quit" thread...

...that's not a "goodbye" statement. That's the acceptance part of the game is what it is...and that he loves Trek, Gaming, and the Community too much to scoot and say goodbye - instead he's accepting it for what it is.

Which all in all, imho, is much sadder than a "goodbye" post...it's almost torturous, the acceptance and remaining.

I think many from the pvp community whether publicly or privately agree with his sentiment. It seems now cryptic is taking shots in the dark at PvP fixes. They never take our feedback seriously, they tune use out when we get mad and they patronize us when we try and constructive, with ultimately it all coming to the same end result, the pvp community being pushed to the corner of the sandbox to play by ourselves.
    Hey I Used to be Captain Data, well I guess I still am in game but the account link really screwed everything up :rolleyes:
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    deokkent wrote: »
    There is a lot of poetry going around these parts. So sto is still good enough to be passionate about it. I like it :D.

I'd argue that it is 'good enough' for us to be 'passionate about it'.

It'd be more along the lines of 'we care about the game itself, good or not atm, to be passionate about it'.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    therealmttherealmt Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ilhansk wrote: »
    Don't give up damian.

Solid pvp can still be found in the game. We all just have to look harder thats all.

By all just set up our own rules, devide the community because nobody agrees with each other, etc? No thanks.

Playing it this way just makes you play an illusion.

Its pretty obvious by now they stepped up the pace on totally killing STO's PvP and getting rid of the last Veterans, for the new chinese farmers to jump into the game and start a new era of casual sto pvp, which is still only 0.1% of the total community :D

Lets get to MWO TRIBBLE!!!! And Star Citizen next ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    therealmt wrote: »

Couldn't we just compare scores on Bad Piggies?
  • Options
    newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited March 2014
    therealmt wrote: »
    By all just set up our own rules, devide the community because nobody agrees with each other, etc? No thanks.

Playing it this way just makes you play an illusion.

Its pretty obvious by now they stepped up the pace on totally killing STO's PvP and getting rid of the last Veterans, for the new chinese farmers to jump into the game and start a new era of casual sto pvp, which is still only 0.1% of the total community :D

Is there a Mech running around out there called MT's Pony??
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Does MWO have any Quad 'Mechs?
  • Options
    brandonflbrandonfl Member Posts: 892
    edited March 2014

You tell me

The Hax lives on.
    LOLSTO
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Sokath, his eyes uncovered!

;)

That's Star Trek. In STO it's more like...Shaka, when the walls fell on him.

Hah! Good one.

brandonfl wrote: »
    You tell me

The Hax lives on.

Next time post one of Gali's ping hitting 50,000.

His ping is so huge it brings all the mechs to the yard.
  • Options
    ehrlehnehrlehn Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ;)

Next time post one of Gali's ping hitting 50,000.

His ping is so huge it brings all the mechs to the yard.

*splutter* LOL

I tried MWO for a bit...I just couldn't get into it, I miss sitting in the big cockpit at the North Pier Mall in Chicago back in the day.

Personally, I'm checking out Star Citizen really hard, about to pull the trigger on a package.

Derrick - Fed Eng
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    ehrlehn wrote: »
    Personally, I'm checking out Star Citizen really hard, about to pull the trigger on a package.

I'm in the same boat as you, but until then Autocannons going boom pretty much keep me happy. :P
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I am also seriously looking at SC I just do not know if I have the time to really take advantage of it. Here I have max level toons that really just have to repped up and get gear so speed is not of the essence but SC looks to be time sink that I will fall behind on since I only have 2-3 hours a day total to play.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I am also seriously looking at SC I just do not know if I have the time to really take advantage of it. Here I have max level toons that really just have to repped up and get gear so speed is not of the essence but SC looks to be time sink that I will fall behind on since I only have 2-3 hours a day total to play.

I have about as much as you, a little less on weekdays a little more on weekends and I'll be giving SC the best go of it that I can.

If it's a second job like EVE, then yes I'll probably end up falling behind.
  • Options
    voxlagindvoxlagind Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The first thing I tell new players is: Do not spend real money on STO for a minimum of six months. The Star Trek brand will lure you in, and as a beginner, the possibilities seem endless. You'll quickly realize you need to spend real money to catch up, greatly anticipating the end game. But then you'll get to the end, and find there's nothing to challenge you with all the new things you've purchased.

In the end, you realize that Star Trek Online is a casual game played "for fun". While it looks like a serious MMO, it's designed closer to a "smart phone app game". The goal is to get you in, dazzle you with possibilities, get your money, and then not really care what you do from there on.

The concept of "for fun" over "for balance" has removed it from contention with other serious MMO's. Is it a bad game? No, and you might still enjoy it.

But I stand by the recommendation: Don't spend real money for 6 months. You need to see the game for what it is after honeymoon wears off. If you still like it then, spend away.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    voxlagind wrote: »
    But I stand by the recommendation: Don't spend real money for 6 months. You need to see the game for what it is after honeymoon wears off. If you still like it then, spend away.

It's probably not what Cryptic wants to hear, but that's pretty damn good advice...
  • Options
    drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    its going to be a casual game.

the changes have dictated it so. and we have fought with valor, have we not my friends? well, most of us have...and even for myself, ive had my moments of darkness.

i think at this point, we can metagame all we want.....i have just come to the conclusion that for solid PvP, we are going to have to look elsewhere.

and its a shame really...for us, the players...and for the developers of this game. i mean, we are all trekkies to some degree. and to see such epic possibilities for starship battles be brought to the status they are now....well.....

i think back to kirk at the Mutara nebula. i remember sisko at ds9 and the sacrifice of angels. thoughts occur of picard and riker.....and the many, many times they were outmatched yet still found a way to overcome. I. remember. janeway. and the year of hell.

this game is our nebula. we are outmatched, we have sacrificed, and we. have gone thru hell...in gaming.

and for what?

nothing.

its a casual game, my trek brothers.

i love trek.

i love gaming.

i love our community.

have fun kill bad guys

This is in fact, in more detail, discussed in the latest PriorityOne Podcast (Ep 164), and their conclusion was basically the same as in the above quote.

I'm somewhat sad about the changes myself. I haven't been PVPing since closed beta like many others have, but I'm already used to the current system, and Cryptic taking PVP apart and rebuilding it for casual players makes me feel like I learned all of my PVP knowledge for nothing, as it will get dumbed down anyway.

Still, MWO, Star Citizen, none of those games interest me because they are not Star Trek. Playing STO, however broken or casual it might get, is always better than playing nothing at all...