test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GX: Phaser spinal lance as a weapon?

revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Federation Discussion
I'm kind of late on this train (since the rerelease has happened and will probably not look into this ship again within the next 10 years) but... In all the discussion about the missing LC Tac slot on the GX I feel like the other part the GX is lacking is kind of left out of the discussion:

The Phaser spinal lance, which is supposed to be one of the selling points. I feel it being kind of... absolutely useless at its current state.

Well, I personally think that thing is kind of wrong in concept.
Why is it a click-ability in the first place?
Back when the GX went life the first time there were no "special weapons" (or better "special weapons like the connie phasers were just different visually) around, so they probably didn't think of that option back then.

Now on the other hand we have quiet a few.
And there is nothing that speaks against it canonically, the one time the ship appeared it seemed to be kind of its primary weapon, it would probably not just fire every 4 minutes.

So here a few "ideas" of such a weapon could work (that doesn't mean that ALL of that should be implemented...):

- as basics it should have a very limited firing arc, like dual cannons or dual beams.
- it should have a high crit damage mod
- it should obviously be GX exclusive
- may be, since the GX is one of the few fed cruisers that can equip cannons and beams, it should be effected by cannon and beam powers (like the experimental proton weapon). May be with some attacks being unlocked with the Galaxy set ( of which this would be a 4th part)
- The current attacks might stay as special attacks, too.
- may be it can be fixed in a 5th weapon slot that greys out with saucer separation active (like the Dyson ship modes), (optional, may be, now that we have the tech for that, the LC eng would switch with an LC tac in that mode, too, like the dyson ship; to finally satisfy those who so desperately want that. It would make sense, too. TNG stated the the engine section separated would function as a full warship on the galaxy. So that could even work for the GR).
- It could drain AUX or Shield power additionally (like the Quad cannons draw eng power)
- Optionaly: It could completely depend on shield power (like the AUX cannon of the Vesta depend of AUX instead of Weapon power); the GX being a cruiser and (IMO) primarily an eng ship that would open interesting possibilities.

Just my 3 cents on that topic. I personally don't thing that would unbalance the GX or anything, and it would finally make it an interesting ship...
Post edited by revandarklighter on

Comments

• Options
    rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    All consoles like the Borg Universal console, the tachyon converter, the Nukara console etc. All their bonuses and effects apply to the phaser lance. The superphaser isn't fixed as is like all beam weapons u need to give it console love to get its full potential. :)
    Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    All consoles like the Borg Universal console, the tachyon converter, the Nukara console etc. All their bonuses and effects apply to the phaser lance. The superphaser isn't fixed as is like all beam weapons u need to give it console love to get its full potential. :)

It being a console would still mean it to only fire once all 4 minutes.
    That feels lame for the signature weapon of an iconic ship like that.
    And I don't thing even all suggestions put together (which isn't my intention as I said) would make it a "super weapon".
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I looked into this and did a fourth order polynomial comparing weapon arc and damage assuming a Dmg x4 mod.

45 degree weapon - 287 DPS
    90 degree weapon - 257 DPS
    180 -238 DPS
    250 - 197 DPS
    360 - 148 DPS

This gives us a polynominal regression equation of:

y = 1.252035127·10^-7 x^4 - 9.862171854·10^-5 x^3 + 2.556652797·10^-2 x^2 - 2.891322634 x + 373.8107908

Where x=arc.

So a 10 degree weapon would do 347 DPS and 521 DPV.

I would like to see a Dreadnought variant released with:

New Costume Option
    Lt Cmdr Tac
    No hangar or innate lance
    Always on phaser lance weapon as described above

Maybe in a pack with a Dominion War or Yesterday's Enterprise standard Galaxy variant. (DW would include the G-X style two nacelles, maybe some battlecruiser flavor and console synergy with the always on lance weapon that provides +2 turnrate for the pair.) And bundle in the Nebula with a slight balance pass upgrade.

Bundle for 5k ZEN. New ships 2500 a piece.
  • Options
    projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm kind of late on this train (since the rerelease has happened and will probably not look into this ship again within the next 10 years) but... In all the discussion about the missing LC Tac slot on the GX I feel like the other part the GX is lacking is kind of left out of the discussion:

The Phaser spinal lance, which is supposed to be one of the selling points. I feel it being kind of... absolutely useless at its current state.

Well, I personally think that thing is kind of wrong in concept.
    Why is it a click-ability in the first place?
    Back when the GX went life the first time there were no "special weapons" (or better "special weapons like the connie phasers were just different visually) around, so they probably didn't think of that option back then.

Now on the other hand we have quiet a few.
    And there is nothing that speaks against it canonically, the one time the ship appeared it seemed to be kind of its primary weapon, it would probably not just fire every 4 minutes.

So here a few "ideas" of such a weapon could work (that doesn't mean that ALL of that should be implemented...):

- as basics it should have a very limited firing arc, like dual cannons or dual beams.
    - it should have a high crit damage mod
    - it should obviously be GX exclusive
    - may be, since the GX is one of the few fed cruisers that can equip cannons and beams, it should be effected by cannon and beam powers (like the experimental proton weapon). May be with some attacks being unlocked with the Galaxy set ( of which this would be a 4th part)
    - The current attacks might stay as special attacks, too.
    - may be it can be fixed in a 5th weapon slot that greys out with saucer separation active (like the Dyson ship modes), (optional, may be, now that we have the tech for that, the LC eng would switch with an LC tac in that mode, too, like the dyson ship; to finally satisfy those who so desperately want that. It would make sense, too. TNG stated the the engine section separated would function as a full warship on the galaxy. So that could even work for the GR).
    - It could drain AUX or Shield power additionally (like the Quad cannons draw eng power)
    - Optionaly: It could completely depend on shield power (like the AUX cannon of the Vesta depend of AUX instead of Weapon power); the GX being a cruiser and (IMO) primarily an eng ship that would open interesting possibilities.

Just my 3 cents on that topic. I personally don't thing that would unbalance the GX or anything, and it would finally make it an interesting ship...

We are covering this topic over HERE where the idea posted is unanimously supported., the TL;DR digest version is "Recycle the Kumari Phaser Wing Cannons asset onto the Dreadnought, let it use appropriate powers."

There is even support for the Bortas and Guramba having a special-weapon-item update.

Given that the copy of that thread started here in the shipyards is still on the front page it is not clear how you missed it.

MODERATORS: Are you going to merge/move these Phaser-Lance threads?
  • Options
    rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It being a console would still mean it to only fire once all 4 minutes.
    That feels lame for the signature weapon of an iconic ship like that.
    And I don't thing even all suggestions put together (which isn't my intention as I said) would make it a "super weapon".

3 mins.

Yes some cooldown bonus would be nice however the phrase 'better than nothing' springs to mind.

I still love my Gal X though.
    Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Except it can be pretty effective when used for its purpose, which is as a gigantic one-shot weapon. Was helping a friend test his last night, running an eng in an Odyssey with shields 125, EPTS3, and RSF3 running, plus adaptive shields and about 30% hull resists, while he popped off the shotgun with APA3, EPTW1, and DEM3.

The shot crit for 90k damage, even after all my resists. I think its safe to say it doesn't need buffing.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Except it can be pretty effective when used for its purpose, which is as a gigantic one-shot weapon. Was helping a friend test his last night, running an eng in an Odyssey with shields 125, EPTS3, and RSF3 running, plus adaptive shields and about 30% hull resists, while he popped off the shotgun with APA3, EPTW1, and DEM3.

The shot crit for 90k damage, even after all my resists. I think its safe to say it doesn't need buffing.

3 mins.

Yes some cooldown bonus would be nice however the phrase 'better than nothing' springs to mind.

I still love my Gal X though.

I'm not speaking about buffing the ability, I'm talking about changing it into something using a weapon slot, you now, like the title says, changing it into a weapon not a click-skill.

And I'm sot saying it should do the damage the click ability does now permanently. It shouldn't be better then the usual weapons (sthose current powers could remain as a buff like the cannon overload for the Kumari cannons only effecting the lance), just different making that thing a little more special.

And I'm not in the "I hate the current GX" camp here, I like the ship but the phaser lance which is IMO one of the defining traits of the onscreen version does not feel like being implemented appropriately.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I really think that rather than Wikifying the ship designs any more, the better solution is a new variant. New costume. New loadout. Separate ship. The demand seems there for that.

Heck, maybe make it a spit polish of the Celestial as a new costume design with a bit of the current art direction of the game added in.
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm not speaking about buffing the ability, I'm talking about changing it into something using a weapon slot, you now, like the title says, changing it into a weapon not a click-skill.

And I'm sot saying it should do the damage the click ability does now permanently. It shouldn't be better then the usual weapons (sthose current powers could remain as a buff like the cannon overload for the Kumari cannons only effecting the lance), just different making that thing a little more special.

And I'm not in the "I hate the current GX" camp here, I like the ship but the phaser lance which is IMO one of the defining traits of the onscreen version does not feel like being implemented appropriately.

I think the best way to go with this is a craftable Energy Type Modification Console. It would come with Phaser but there would be craftable Blue Phaser, Disruptor, Tetryon, Plasma, Polaron, and Antiproton. For the special weapons from TRIBBLE boxes, they could have those as a possible drop from the weapon crates from those and the special weapons that come with TRIBBLE box ships could be purchasable the same way the Spinal Wave Disruptors are.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.