test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Captains? Put their space skills on ships and given them meaningful skill trees

projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
The title says most of it: "Captains? Put their space skills on ships and given them meaningful skill trees"

This would provide a tangible use for ExP outside of boffs, captains, and reputation projects (why is this even being used as a sink?).

The meaningful skill trees would allow players to "pick their favorite captain powers".

Oh, I forgot the part about how this would relieve us from "captain's professions" and open up the door to legitimately universal player-avatar creation. It does that too.

Discuss.
Post edited by projectfrontier on

Comments

• frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The devs have stated that a skill revamp is coming:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1006391

The details are a bit vague at this point, but many of us think it will be quite expensive for science captains in terms of science consoles and skill points. The career differentiation will most likely remain, but some of us are speculating that you will see lockbox captain and boff powers.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    frtoaster wrote: »

The details are a bit vague at this point, but many of us think it will be quite expensive for science captains in terms of science consoles and skill points. The career differentiation will most likely remain, but some of us are speculating that you will see lockbox captain and boff powers.

Is the statement in your link's to a thread's link to a podcast?

And either way how does that "...vague..." content impact this proposal?
  • wolverine595959wolverine595959 Member Posts: 726
    edited March 2014
    frtoaster wrote: »

Yes the new skill tree will be much easier, you will have 3 choices tac/eng/sci. click one and the game gives you the most optimal point usage and then click OK.
    Hey I Used to be Captain Data, well I guess I still am in game but the account link really screwed everything up :rolleyes:
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Is the statement in your link's to a thread's link to a podcast?

And either way how does that "...vague..." content impact this proposal?

Yes, it is a link to the podcast. It impacts your proposal, because the devs have their own skill revamp already planned. If your proposal is too different from what they already have in mind, they most likely won't implement it. I don't think they are willing to consider major changes to their plan, but they might consider minor modifications.

Based on the podcast, they seem disinclined to remove the career restriction on captain powers. It does seem, however, that you won't automatically get captain powers as you rank up; instead, you will purchase them with skill points. And if you don't want a specific captain power, you don't have to choose it.

It does make sense to me that space skills should go on the ship and ground skills should go on the captain. The devs might be willing to make that change, but many people will complain about the increased cost in skill points and expertise. I understand where you are coming from. Old characters have more expertise than they know what to do with. New characters need that expertise for their reputation projects, however. The expertise cost of fleet holdings is a drop in the bucket for large fleets. But small fleets with mostly new characters may need that expertise.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Heh, I forgot about that thread...I wish I could forget it again. I know I've been trying to forget that particular podcast...it's when I started going off the deep end. Seriously, check out my post history before that podcast and since...yeah, I've gone bonkers since listening to it.

As for the OP, I've never tied Careers to Ship Classes like that - so I'd never put the Captain Abilities on the Ships. Just because a Ship has an Cmdr Eng Station doesn't mean you need to be an Eng Captain to fly it. Though, it would be funny to do that - cause then nobody could fly a Recluse anymore and we wouldn't have to deal with the Elite Weavers, eh? :P

Folks thought I was joking in another thread when I suggested adding a FOFF Slot where a BOFF could be promoted to FOFF and provide 4 of the Captain Abilities at a reduced rank compared to the Captain. Probably thought it was a joke because of how much powercreep it would mean, but to me at least it would be logical powercreep. It would provide all sorts of options/choices for one to expand upon their build. Eng Captain in a Sci Vessel with a Tac FOFF...etc, etc, etc.

As for the EXP/SP, I've mentioned changing using the EXP to rank up BOFF abilities to giving the BOFFs full skill trees like the Captain. Reducing the overall value provided from skills and having that made up by having the skills come from multiple characters. Yes, this is more complex than the PO158.5 stuff where Geko said that players were basically clueless and unable to handle what we've got now.

That being said, I'm not sure why it can't be both a combination of Custom Builds and Template Builds. A new player not comfortable with all the choices could follow a preset Template. Tada, they're fine - they probably won't even notice that the Template is garbage. Should they ever notice that, well then they're probably ready for a Custom Build.

I'd also do something about the problematic nature of the Sci Skills/Abilities not just being Sci...they're Operations as well. One of the reasons why they may look like Eng or Tac things instead of Sci. Cause they are. It's not hidden. Go look at your Skill tab. Tactical Systems, Engineering Systems...Science and Operation Systems. It's not hidden in the least that Sci is not just Sci. So how about we clear that up, eh?

And taking that a step further, why not look at certain Abilities as "Universal" Abilities. Basically, they'd be Operation Abilities that any BOFF could slot - Tac, Eng, or Sci. So you'd have Tac, Eng, Sci, and Op...again, we're getting more complex than less. Templates to the rescue, eh? Just saying...

...hrmmm, but yeah - anyway, I really hated that PO158.5 - yup yup, really hated it.