test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Kids versus old phone

misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Ten Forward
The older ones among us probably know one or two instances where youger people treated them like...relics or fools because they didn't instantly grasp this or that piece of modern tech.
Well in the future just think about what happens when these younger folks are confronted with an unknown piece of technology themselves.
Like in this case a good'ol rotary phone or a phone booth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkuirEweZvM

oh and I think Lucas is actually a Romulan.;)
Post edited by misterde3 on

Comments

• cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You young whipper snappers, with yer new fangled 8 track players, and yer rock n' roll music.
    Back in my day, we didn't have those fancy seatbelts, and air-bags. When you were in a collison, you were thrown threw the windshield, and slammed into the pavement like a rag doll. An' dang nabbit, we loved it. We were grateful to have it.:D
    On topic, yes It tickles me that my niece had no idea that phones had cords at one time.How many drivers under 30 do you think can operate a manual transmission?(Stickshift).
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    You young whipper snappers, with yer new fangled 8 track players, and yer rock n' roll music.
    Back in my day, we didn't have those fancy seatbelts, and air-bags. When you were in a collison, you were thrown threw the windshield, and slammed into the pavement like a rag doll. An' dang nabbit, we loved it. We were grateful to have it.:D
    On topic, yes It tickles me that my niece had no idea that phones had cords at one time.How many drivers under 30 do you think can operate a manual transmission?(Stickshift).

You're in the US, aren't you?
    edited March 2014
    You're in the US, aren't you?

Guilty as charged.
    edited March 2014
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    Guilty as charged.

I figured as much, because the answer to your question, in Europe is: everyone!

:D
    edited March 2014
    Anyone who owns a "Sportscar" in the US, with an automatic transmission, I laugh at them, and say"No, you don't.":
    edited March 2014
    Don't be mean. The new sportscars don't have sticks anymore, they've got paddles (though that's not auto).
    But yeah, auto and (motor)sports...meh...not really...
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Dagnabbit, when I got my first car, it was made of sticks!
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    misterde3 wrote: »
    The older ones among us probably know one or two instances where youger people treated them like...relics or fools because they didn't instantly grasp this or that piece of modern tech.
    Well in the future just think about what happens when these younger folks are confronted with an unknown piece of technology themselves.
    Like in this case a good'ol rotary phone or a phone booth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkuirEweZvM

oh and I think Lucas is actually a Romulan.;)

Man, that video made me feel old, and I'm in my teens!
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Get off my LAWN!!!!!!
    GwaoHAD.png
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well those old phones had one good thing about them, you could beat the TRIBBLE out them and they still worked, usually.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Get off my LAWN!!!!!!
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Well those old phones had one good thing about them, you could beat the TRIBBLE out them and they still worked, usually.

And if we put those two together we get: "Get off my lawn or I'll swing my phone at ya, pesky little kids!"
  • ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Lol can't believe that kid had an iPod, that's just nuts. I still fondly remember those old chunky Nokia mobiles that were pretty much indestructible. Man they took a beating :D. Feel old saying that back then Snake was the highlight of mobile gaming, now we've got PS2 console quality games popping up :(.
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    maxvitor wrote: »

You can hear the ringers from next door, too. I modified one so it's just the ringer and installed it in an obnoxious spot in my office because the people up front have a habit of "not hearing" the phone.
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, I'm surprised that that kid's parents let him have an iPhone--if it had existed when I was that age, MY parents would have been paranoid either about me breaking or losing it, or about me getting robbed because of it. IMO, kids below jr. high (middle school) age should have cheap phones, not phones that cost a week's pay for the parents.
  • ricosakararicosakara Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    LOL! I love Kids and Elders React! They're fun videos.

Anyways, yeah I remember cord phones, like the rotary phones and the ones with answering machines. Hell, I think my grandma in Vegas still have an old cord 80's answering machine phone, or a 90's phone with cordless receiver. She does have a cell phone, but hardly uses it since it's an old 2000's cell phone.

But yeah, I was born in 82, and then today I still know how a rotary phone works. I'm old! LOL! XD