test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is there a skill maximum?

angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
edited March 2014 in The Academy
If I have 99 (9 points) starship weapons training, t2 omega rep passive +30 starship weapons training, and TT1 up for +18 swt am I wasting skill points or is this useful?

I really wish the game mechanics were more transparent so we could all make more informed decisions about skill selection. Like, what does 99 in weapons training really get me? would I miss that last point if I spent it elsewhere? Is a skill at 3 points much worse than 6 or 9? This is the most frustrating part of this game.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    i find most skills it's pointless to put more than 6 ranks in. the only ones i do are the structural integrity and shield HP ones.
  • Options
    deianirrahdeianirrah Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'd like to point You to

https://home.comcast.net/~amicus/Skill%20Point%20Effects.htm

- which is still mostly accurate and might help prioritizing skills a bit. And yes, they can go past 99 (9 skillpoints) - but You get diminishing returns.

Taskforce 47 Falkenwacht (Federation) / Greifenreiter (KDF)
    (at) deianirrah
    Free Gear and where to get it
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Off the top of my head the actual 'cap' is somewhere north of 200 (255?). There are abilities that temporarily give you a huge boost to some skills up into that neighborhood.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    On your skill tree, you cannot have more than 99 points in any one skill.

However, you can supplement that with passive gear. Passive consoles, deflectors, engines, and warp cores all add directly to this score. Your effective skill points score is shown on your character status sheet under "Skills". That number takes into effect all passive boost to your skill rating.

Also, Romulan Singularity cloak from T5 Romulan rep gives +100 to all science skills for 5 seconds. And the Inspired leader trait gives a small chance to add +10 to everything on any activation of a boff power. A few doffs also add skill points in certain circumstances.

I have capped out and pushed my Particle Generator skill (which I have invested heavily in) over 300 for a few seconds. Small window... BIG impact.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    kyeto13 wrote: »

However, you can supplement that with passive gear. Passive consoles, deflectors, engines, and warp cores all add directly to this score. Your effective skill points score is shown on your character status sheet under "Skills". That number takes into effect all passive boost to your skill rating.

Also, Romulan Singularity cloak from T5 Romulan rep gives +100 to all science skills for 5 seconds. And the Inspired leader trait gives a small chance to add +10 to everything on any activation of a boff power. A few doffs also add skill points in certain circumstances.

I have capped out and pushed my Particle Generator skill (which I have invested heavily in) over 300 for a few seconds. Small window... BIG impact.

Funny, I'm pretty sure you can bring particle generators to 301.4 without the help of QSM. You add up some more cheese and luck, and I think it tops out (although very temporarily) around 450-460 if I'm not mistaken.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    deianirrah wrote: »
    I'd like to point You to

- which is still mostly accurate and might help prioritizing skills a bit. And yes, they can go past 99 (9 skillpoints) - but You get diminishing returns.

Thanks for the link, I lost it somewhere.(BTW, what is the last column saying? maximum regardless of skill level?) But, that still does not tell me what you gain above 99.
    I'm wondering if the actual gain in skill is worth having 9 points in it if you also have passives and other abilities that boost that skill.

For instance with starship weapons training with t2 omega +30 swt, what is the difference between 114 (6points + t2 omega) and 129 (9 points + t2 omega)? would I even notice the difference in game?

And so the speculation is there is no hard cap? even if the gains are not significant?
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's diminishing returns the higher you go in the skill level and you will need those points later. You don't actually get enough skill points to completely fill every skill tree, and if you spend too many in lower ranked skills you will come up short when you need points in higher ranked ones. You have to strategically plan where to put your skill points as you advance in rank to suit your playing style, the type of ship you prefer, your characters career specialty, etc.
    There's a number of skill planning tools out there, and you will likely have to respec a few times until you get things fine tuned to where everything works best.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    malachicartwrighmalachicartwrigh Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kyeto13 wrote: »

I had thought that it was like power level caps.
    I have 144 in Starship Weapons Training, due to 99 in skill choices and passive equipment boosts. However, I was going to respec skills and redistribute, because I thought that uprating my engine skills might help more. Is there a cap, is 144 'wasting' skill points?

Thanks!
    ...Can you bind the chains of the Pleiades or loose the cords of Orion?...
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    maxvitor wrote: »
    It's diminishing returns the higher you go in the skill level and you will need those points later. You don't actually get enough skill points to completely fill every skill tree, and if you spend too many in lower ranked skills you will come up short when you need points in higher ranked ones. You have to strategically plan where to put your skill points as you advance in rank to suit your playing style, the type of ship you prefer, your characters career specialty, etc.
    There's a number of skill planning tools out there, and you will likely have to respec a few times until you get things fine tuned to where everything works best.

I know there is diminishing returns but I'd like some hard numbers. I have 8 characters, a LTS and played for ~1 year. 2 of my toons have been clocked at just over 10K dps (like 10.3K both tac captains with only blue mk xii tac consoles) I'd like to push this further as well as help out my sci-guys. Not really min/maxing, but understanding what I am losing/gaining by moving skill points around while considering rep passives and other skill boosting abilities/items.

I know building for a specific ship and weapon type is important. I know that specializing in one role make optimization easier/possible. I don't know what its worth to have a skill above 99.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    The only thing in this game with diminishing returns is armor type skills. The rest just follow very linear functions. Just go to that comcast page with all the data and get equations out of the skills, they're very linear.
  • Options
    thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    deianirrah wrote: »
    I'd like to point You to

I wish there was a ground version of that.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    The only thing in this game with diminishing returns is armor type skills. The rest just follow very linear functions. Just go to that comcast page with all the data and get equations out of the skills, they're very linear.

What I get out of that page is that there is no real purpose in having a skill above 84 and most skills only have slight differences between 0 and 99. making the choice of skills rather pointless with a few exceptions. If this is the case then there is only a couple of skills that you should put at 99 and forget about all the others because they are decent enough at 0. How very disappointing and limiting.

Am I reading that right?

I am somewhat spoiled from the last game I played. I started STO after Bioware stopped patching ME3 multiplayer. In the Bioware forums there were several players that tested the game and got the math out. The devs even confirmed most of that work and were very open about how the game worked with respect to playing it(not modding it). The skill selection was mostly straight forward and meaningful information was given by the devs(and in game) so you could make a very informed decision.

There seems to be a severe lack of dev replies about game mechanics and the tooltips are mostly useless. My X device gives me +Y to my Z skill? is this good or useless? who knows?

So far I've gathered from this discussion:

- skills have (probably) no maximum

- most skills are useless because the abilities they affect are only fractionally better if you have skill points spent there

- some skills are best with 3 points, some with 6 because the next 3/6 points will not net you anything useful and/or the items you will use will boost that skill

- few skills are best at 99 and up

- there is mostly nothing gained from pushing a skill past 99

Is this true?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    angrybobh wrote: »
    There seems to be a severe lack of dev replies about game mechanics and the tooltips are mostly useless. My X device gives me +Y to my Z skill? is this good or useless? who knows?

So far I've gathered from this discussion:

- skills have (probably) no maximum

True, skills have no absolute maximum except ship space (console, deflector, WC, etc) and trait space.

- most skills are useless because the abilities they affect are only fractionally better if you have skill points spent there

False. There are some skills that are questionable, but I've seen people use them to their benefit.

- some skills are best with 3 points, some with 6 because the next 3/6 points will not net you anything useful and/or the items you will use will boost that skill

False if you want to specialize or wish that extra edge.

- few skills are best at 99 and up

True

- there is mostly nothing gained from pushing a skill past 99

False

Is this true?

To answer your questions.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    To answer your questions.

An explanation would be nice.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    An explanation would be nice.

Some skills people try to get the most out of, specially when it comes to DPS and defense related skills. More in never enough. Some other skills people use under certain conditions. You could go all out using Starship Stealth and be pretty invisible when cloaked as a Romulan (granted your boffs also help you here). You could go all out on sensors to be able to seek cloaked ships.

Some other skills, well, they have bad diminishing returns. Any armor (power insulators and resistance) gets really bad returns past 100 skill (See http://sto.gamepedia.com/Damage_resistance). Also, the WCE skill, if you roll an efficient captain, you really don't need to go past 6 points in that skill because you're usually only adding 1 power to each subsystem at that point. The only exception here are Romulans because of their power deficiency.

So in general, most skills have their uses. It's just some are much more popular and talked about than other.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    So, I am still in the dark about 1 thing. The last column on this page https://home.comcast.net/~amicus/Skill%20Point%20Effects.htm lists max bonus. Is this a cap on maximum bonus attainable regardless of skill level?

I am going to look into this in game but since you can't really trust the tooltips or the character screen to be 100% correct this seems like a pain. But, I need numbers.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    So, I am still in the dark about 1 thing. The last column on this page https://home.comcast.net/~amicus/Skill%20Point%20Effects.htm lists max bonus. Is this a cap on maximum bonus attainable regardless of skill level?

I am going to look into this in game but since you can't really trust the tooltips or the character screen to be 100% correct this seems like a pain. But, I need numbers.

When it comes to armor/protection, the max resistance goes up to 75%, and no more. The functions for others are just linear. They are just limited by how much skill in X thing you can add to it with everything available to you in the game.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    When it comes to armor/protection, the max resistance goes up to 75%, and no more. The functions for others are just linear. They are just limited by how much skill in X thing you can add to it with everything available to you in the game.

so that last column on that page is pointless?

If thats true, I'm happier than i was and now its math time.(which is one of the few things I am good at)

And thanks, BTW for getting me closer to understanding all of this.