test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The In-Game Mail Tool Sucks!

samt296samt296 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
LIKE NIKKI MINAJ!!!

It fills up quickly with useless junk and than won't let you receive new messages until you MANUALLY delete every single message one by one... Am I the only person annoyed by the inefficient and downright abysmal design of the mail tool? How's about separating exchange alerts from ACTUAL mail?

Hell, i'd be happy with a simple multi-delete feature....
"When people ask stupid questions I feel obligated to give sarcastic answers."

Keltoi Class... fan design. You KNOW you want one In-game!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by samt296 on

Comments

• daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This is not a new complaint.

And no, it's never going to change.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • robyvisionrobyvision Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I dont like the mail system but its manageable . But the exchange is a wreck. It is torture to buy things like dofs from it. You need to buy one buy on. So when you buy something the exchange screen goes black, and you refresh, and refresh it. All the time. Until you hit the exchange search cooldown 15 sec. :D Its hilarious :P
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    How in the name of Khan, can your mail box "fill up" so quickly that you cant hit the 'delete key ANYWHERE/ANYTIME!

Do you only log in once every six months or something? Or are you one of these people that 'thinks' you actually have 2800 'friends'?

Not to mention the fact that there are mail boxes just about everywhere you need to go on a regular basis, so even if the mail has attachments, it isn't all that hard to find a mail station ...

I mean seriously, you're really complaining about this? With all the other bugs and issues with STO? ... Really?
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    bendalek wrote: »
    How in the name of Khan, can your mail box "fill up" so quickly that you cant hit the 'delete key ANYWHERE/ANYTIME!

Do you only log in once every six months or something? Or are you one of these people that 'thinks' you actually have 2800 'friends'?

Not to mention the fact that there are mail boxes just about everywhere you need to go on a regular basis, so even if the mail has attachments, it isn't all that hard to find a mail station ...

I mean seriously, you're really complaining about this? With all the other bugs and issues with STO? ... Really?

Yes, really. It's pathetic that this mail box is in virtually the same state as the way it was when the game was released. I mean, seriously? Email services have had options to delete all messages in a category or all messages in your inbox since the late 90's. Do you realize this is basic programming 101? First year computer science students could probably design a better mail box than the one we have in game; that's how bad it is.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Stop using it as free account storage.
  • exa12exa12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    couldn't you group delete on the old Cryptic site's mail tool?

for spoiler text use #1b1c1f
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    One issue with the mail system is it only shows certain mail for specific characters, like exchange sells.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    /thread

exa12 wrote: »

Yes.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    gonalius wrote: »

Dingdingdingding, we have a winner!
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    i have said before that i would like to see the mail tool get a jolly good overhaul.
    model it on normal email clients with savable drafts, keep folders, often used contacts, and most importantly select all to delete.
    most often you can tell after a quick glance if there is anything you want a closer look at and once you are happy there is nothing special you want to move to your keep folder you delete the rest with one click.
    there should also be a deleted mail folder just in case there is somthing you deleted by mistake but any mail that is in the deleted folder could be permenantly deleted after say 48hrs by the system.
    the only thing is if they did do all of this it would be no good going to cryptic cap in hand hoping for their help if you deleted somthing by accident and failed to recover it in time.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    bendalek wrote: »

i have a lot of what you might call micro sales on the exchange, it would not be so bad if they sent an email once a day to say this is what you sold today, but every day i will get anywhere between 20 to 50 emails and everyone is you sold this item to this player for TRIBBLE ec.
    it can get very tedious deleting them all one at a time, click delete, are you sure? click yes, and on and on and on.

and no i never store anything in my mail, the only time i have any item in mail is if a fleet mate sends me something or if an exchange sale times out and the item gets returned to you.
    i dont even use mail to send items to my alts as i have an account bank for that.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

edited March 2014

Stop telling people how to play the game. You've also changed the subject and haven't bothered to address the OP's concerns. Some might consider that trolling.
    i have said before that i would like to see the mail tool get a jolly good overhaul.
    model it on normal email clients with savable drafts, keep folders, often used contacts, and most importantly select all to delete.
    most often you can tell after a quick glance if there is anything you want a closer look at and once you are happy there is nothing special you want to move to your keep folder you delete the rest with one click.
    there should also be a deleted mail folder just in case there is somthing you deleted by mistake but any mail that is in the deleted folder could be permenantly deleted after say 48hrs by the system.
    the only thing is if they did do all of this it would be no good going to cryptic cap in hand hoping for their help if you deleted somthing by accident and failed to recover it in time.

I think asking for used contacts is a bit much, no sarcasm intended, but the folders idea and select/delete all are must haves.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    exa12 wrote: »
    Only if you used the forum interface back when the Forum and game shared an inbox. I miss that feature.

Um seriously though..... If I want to mass delete I resize the mail box so that the yes button on the "are you sure you want to delete this" box lines up with the delete button. Then I just click repeatedly.

Then again I don't let mail pile up in my inbox either....
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    I think asking for used contacts is a bit much, no sarcasm intended, but the folders idea and select/delete all are must haves.
    In game mail isn't outlook.... The devs would need a REALLY good reason to make it more complex than the text messenger it is now.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited March 2014
    Only if you used the forum interface back when the Forum and game shared an inbox. I miss that feature.

Um seriously though..... If I want to mass delete I resize the mail box so that the yes button on the "are you sure you want to delete this" box lines up with the delete button. Then I just click repeatedly.

Then again I don't let mail pile up in my inbox either....In game mail isn't outlook.... The devs would need a REALLY good reason to make it more complex than the text messenger it is now.

We're asking for the most basic, rudimentary of email features marhawk and you think that's asking for a lot?

………………..,-~*’`¯lllllll`*~,
    …………..,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll...
    ………,-~*lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll...
    ……,-*lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll...
    ….;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-...
    …..\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/………\;;...
    …...\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*………..`~-~...
    …….\llllllllllll,-~*…………………)_-\..*`*;....
    ……..\,-*`¯,*`)…………,-~*`~.………….../
    ……...|/.../…/~,…...-~*,-~*`;……………./.\
    ……../.../…/…/..,-,..*~,.`*~*…………….*......
    …….|.../…/…/.*`...\...……………………)….)¯`~,
    …….|./…/…./…….)……,.)`*~-,……….../….|..)...
    ……/./.../…,*`-,…..`-,…*`….,---…...\…./...
    …...(……….)`*~-,….`*`.,-~*.,-*……|…/.…/…...
    …….*-,…….`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*……….|.,*....
    ……….*,………`-,…)-,…………..,-* `...,-*….(`-,...

You want a reason for doing it? Number one, pride in your game. This mail looks like it's out of a game in alpha stage. Number two, it's clunky, has 0 options, and is extremely inefficient. Let's assume you have 3 characters with 30-40 items to sell and each of those characters is in a separate fleet. You put these items up for sale before you to go bed and then you come back to play a week later. Now, you have about 50-60 mails which includes fleet mail, personal mail, sales, and messages sent to yourself. Then, you would have to spend 5-10 minutes individually deleting each of those mails which is time you could have spent enjoying the game. It gets much worse for people with more than 4 characters or for fleet leaders getting tons of mail from fleet members.

With all due respect, please don't be naive Marhawk. You know how crazy the grind has gotten with 4 reputation trees and then add the extra time we have to spend just deleting emails. There's just no excuse for a game that's 4 years old and that commands the kind of PWE resources it does.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif