test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lifetime, Legacy pack, etc what is worth buying & sales expected?

thorlin325thorlin325 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
I recently started playing STO regularly, and was wondering about the different "packs" for sale, which ones are worth it, and when there might be sales on them?
The Lifetime subscription, the Romulan Legacy pack, Romulan starter pack, and the Steam starter pack.

Steam has a bundle for the Romulan Legacy and starter pack, plus the Steam starter pack. It seems to me the Legacy pack already has what the Starter pack does, so not sure why they sell them together, unless I am missing something.

I was hoping they would have had the Lifetime sub on sale during the recent anniversary event. And looking back at past sales, it does not seem there is a "regular" time for a sale.

thanks!
Post edited by thorlin325 on

Comments

• nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    "Regular time sale" = buying old new boxes on ebay for $3 each for the month's subscription that comes with it.;)
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    thorlin325 wrote: »
    I recently started playing STO regularly, and was wondering about the different "packs" for sale, which ones are worth it, and when there might be sales on them?
    The Lifetime subscription, the Romulan Legacy pack, Romulan starter pack, and the Steam starter pack.

Steam has a bundle for the Romulan Legacy and starter pack, plus the Steam starter pack. It seems to me the Legacy pack already has what the Starter pack does, so not sure why they sell them together, unless I am missing something.

I was hoping they would have had the Lifetime sub on sale during the recent anniversary event. And looking back at past sales, it does not seem there is a "regular" time for a sale.

thanks!

1. The legacy starter pack is for those who want some of the things in the legacy bundle, but not all of it or do not want to spend the money.

2. If you want to have a sub to the game (and get all the perks that go with it) the Lifetime sub is really the only way to go. what is especially nice about it, is the fact you get all teh veteran rewards right away.

4. The bundles and packs are worth it if you like what they have. I know many love the Steamrunner retrofit that comes with the Steam bundle.

5. Sales (on the LTS and c-store stuff) do not really have any specific time. they do it when they feel like it, which is decently rare.
  • daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I was hoping they would have had the Lifetime sub on sale during the recent anniversary event.

Think carefully before you buy a lifer. Yeah, the perks are nice right away. But not so much for the cost. Are you really going to play for 3 years (about the amount of time it takes to break even on it)? If not, I would suggest getting a monthly for a while and seeing how you like it.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    daqhegh wrote: »
    Think carefully before you buy a lifer. Yeah, the perks are nice right away. But not so much for the cost. Are you really going to play for 3 years (about the amount of time it takes to break even on it)? If not, I would suggest getting a monthly for a while and seeing how you like it.
    At 15 bucks per month it is 20 months to break even on a $300 lts, not 3 years. Plus in those 20 months you'd be given $100 back in stipend. If you bought it on sale for $240 you'd be down to 16 months to break even.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,825 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014

thanks!

If memory serves, it seems the Lifetime Subscription goes on sale about twice a year: once in the spring and again in autumn. I could be wrong about the timeframe, but I'm pretty sure it happens about twice a year.

Yes, the Romulan Legacy pack has everything that the Romulan Starter pack has. I don't think that Steam sells them together, though. Wouldn't make sense. If you're gonna buy one, though, go all the way. :D

Worth is entirely in the eye of the beholder. I can say it was worth it to me to buy the Lifetime Subscription, Romulan Legacy, and Steam Starter pack, because I wanted what was in them. But I also log plenty of hours in-game and plan to continue playing until they shut it down, so I can sort of justify it to myself as well, as a long-term investment. :)
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    At 15 bucks per month it is 20 months to break even on a $300 lts, not 3 years. Plus in those 20 months you'd be given $100 back in stipend. If you bought it on sale for $240 you'd be down to 16 months to break even.

My numbers may be off, but my point is still valid.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014

What about at $3 per month? Sure, you can pay $15 per month. But then, if you offer to pay $200 per month I'm sure Cryptic won't complain.:D
    edited March 2014
    daqhegh wrote: »
    My numbers may be off, but my point is still valid.
    You're suggesting pay a sub for a while and see if you like it. Let's say he pays for 6 months to test the waters. That's $90. If he decides he likes it he still needs to opt for $300 for an lts. So now he's paid $390 for something that would have cost him $300. Even if he gets the lts for 1/3 off at $200, he's paid $290; which is basically full price. That's bad money management, but since I work at a bank maybe I'm the only one who sees that. :)
    edited March 2014
    noblet wrote: »
    What about at $3 per month? Sure, you can pay $15 per month. But then, if you offer to pay $200 per month I'm sure Cryptic won't complain.:D
    Since you can only pay $15 or $300 for a gold those other values might not help you. :D
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Op, all I can say is - if you think an LTS will improve your experience and you like this game enough to help support it financially, Go For It!

Advice is just advice. You should always do the things in this game you want to do and not worry about what other people think about what your doing. If you want your LTS to be fun and rewarding, it will be those things. If you want your LTS to be a con or a cheat, it can be those things as well. Your attitude about it is the only one that counts in the end. If you're happy with the choice you make, either way, then you made the right choice for you.

Play the game for yourself, not others.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited March 2014

First, do you only really plan to play 1 faction? If Fed, for example, then buying a bunch of Romulan ships doesn't do you any good.

As many have said, the most economical way to do it is to go Gold while you level up your toons to 50. (Level up fast so pay less.) After that you go back to free play and just buy the EC limit raise and a couple other things you lose after you stop paying.

I got Lifetime when STO came out and it paid for itself before it went F2P, so not sure if Lifetime is great in the current F2P model. If you think you'll end up subscribing for 'too long' while leveling toons, then obviously LTS is a good thing, especially if a sale happens. For me, LTS is nice cause I don't have to think about paying a subscription anymore and get the $5 of Zen. (just got March's today) I can play or wander off for a month or 2 and I've not 'wasted' any monthly subscription. ;)

You just gotta decide what's a better use of your money, F2P and buying the ships/services you want or paying a subscription. A $300 LTS can be the equivalent to 36,300 Zen (if you buy during sale periods and buy in chunks of $50 or more, during a sale $50 gets you 6050 Zen.)

One more thing, supposedly subscribing gets you 1st in line if there's a queue to log in. Not sure how often there's a queue, I've not really seen one but the one time they had things screwed up during LoR, I think.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • mattmiraclemattmiracle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The last two years, the Lifetime Subscription has went on sale at the end of May (for Graduations) and the first week of November. They MAY do a Lifetime sale earlier this year (say April) to coincide with the launch of Season 9.
    Matt Miracle

Fleet Commander in Chief [Rank 7] for Covenant of Honor; a FED T5 Starbase
    House Leader [Rank 7] for Honorable House of Mor'gue; a KDF T3 Starbase
    Find us at CovenantofHonor.com.  My Twitter handle; @jmattmiracle
  • sudonamisudonami Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ok i am tired of seeing the wrong numbers here.

The monthly stipend for a sub/lifesub is only 500 zen or $5 a month. So with that in mind $5*12months=$25/year so really it takes 12 YEARS to make you the cost of a lifesub in zen stipends alone.

With the rewards put to value it will take shorter but a life sub is a long term thing. only get it if you plan on staying with the game.

Using the 240 price tag from a possible sale, it would take about 9.5 years in stipends alone to break even.

Whatever you choose have fun with it. it is just a game and although it seem to some that PWE is starting to turn it into a grindfest, it is still fun and we all should have as much fun as we can.

Edit: forgot one calculation: if paying $15 per month (180 per year) for a regular sub it would take about 1.75 years to have reachedequal to paying $300 in sub fees. But that not equaling enough days to get all the rewards, you mathematically have to pay more then double the lifesub fee to get all the rewards and perks.

Edit: Edit: changing the cost of a monthly fee down to $10 because you get $5 back in the stipend, it will take 2.5 years to have payed $300.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If memory serves, it seems the Lifetime Subscription goes on sale about twice a year: once in the spring and again in autumn. I could be wrong about the timeframe, but I'm pretty sure it happens about twice a year.

Yes, the Romulan Legacy pack has everything that the Romulan Starter pack has. I don't think that Steam sells them together, though. Wouldn't make sense. If you're gonna buy one, though, go all the way. :D

Worth is entirely in the eye of the beholder. I can say it was worth it to me to buy the Lifetime Subscription, Romulan Legacy, and Steam Starter pack, because I wanted what was in them. But I also log plenty of hours in-game and plan to continue playing until they shut it down, so I can sort of justify it to myself as well, as a long-term investment. :)

basically all what he said.

check out this page for a comparison of lifetime/monthly subs.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/User:Eklinaar/Subscriber_benefits_breakdown

p.s. i also hear that there are more veteran rewards comming soon so that should make lifetime sub even better value for money but i would always wait till they have a sale, my guess is they will have one in the next couple of months most likly arround the time they release season 9.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    sudonami wrote: »
    ok i am tired of seeing the wrong numbers here.

The monthly stipend for a sub/lifesub is only 500 zen or $5 a month. So with that in mind $5*12months=$25/year so really it takes 12 YEARS to make you the cost of a lifesub in zen stipends alone.

funny how things change but when i went to school 5*12=60

lol

this would make recovering the cost of lts with stipends alone 5 years at full price or 40 months (3 years & 4 months) if you get it for $200 the price of the last sale.

thats before you factor in the equivelant c-store zen values of the other rewards you get when you go lifetime.
    You're suggesting pay a sub for a while and see if you like it. Let's say he pays for 6 months to test the waters. That's $90. If he decides he likes it he still needs to opt for $300 for an lts. So now he's paid $390 for something that would have cost him $300. Even if he gets the lts for 1/3 off at $200, he's paid $290; which is basically full price. That's bad money management, but since I work at a bank maybe I'm the only one who sees that. :)

indeed, by the time you are thinking of subbing you probably know weather or not you like the game enough to make a long term investment, and imho lifetime is the best value.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Just a heads up, many of the subscriber benefits stick after you buy a single month and then stop. Most notably this includes the bank and inventory slot upgrades, but if you are leveling up during that month you keep the respec tokens, and if you use the extra character slot, you keep it as well.

The only two real reasons to get an LTS at this point are foundry access and vet rewards. If you think those are worth the money, then go for it, but the monthly subscription is really not worth starting now, just get one month and stop.