test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dyson Scienc Destroyer Review/Build

hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
Here is what I have for my Romulan Dyson Science Destroyer so far. I explain what I think about it, what it can do, show its bridge, and kill some Elite Khitomer Vortex. This is not my Master Build yet but it is a very workable build: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kML3Xk1oT8&feature=gp-n-y
Post edited by hasukurobi on

Comments

• generator88generator88 Member Posts: 698 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hi,

That was a good breakdown of the ship; thanks for sharing. I've got the KDF free version on my Science captain, and I've been monkeying around with some speculative builds that go "all-in for proton" like you've done. The thing about that approach seems to be that it is very console-intensive, to the point where I get suspicious of its opportunity costs, as it eats into space where I would otherwise put things like Flow Caps consoles. So far, have you found this to be a fair trade-off of what you're getting versus what you gave up to get there?

Thanks,
    Generator
    =================

I'm sure your DPS is great, but as Kahless said, "a petaQ with high system mastery is still a petaQ." (Well, he should have said it...!)
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hi,

That was a good breakdown of the ship; thanks for sharing. I've got the KDF free version on my Science captain, and I've been monkeying around with some speculative builds that go "all-in for proton" like you've done. The thing about that approach seems to be that it is very console-intensive, to the point where I get suspicious of its opportunity costs, as it eats into space where I would otherwise put things like Flow Caps consoles. So far, have you found this to be a fair trade-off of what you're getting versus what you gave up to get there?

Thanks,
    Generator

Especially if you are using the full 3 pack ship with all its Proton damage powers and the Dyson Set with its Proton Barrage then it does tend to work out pretty well from what I can see. With the setup I have done I have not found the need for extra Flow-Caps. I can shut down players and NPC's alike with great ease with my two main power drain skills or even Protonic Polaron procs + Leech alone.

While I do get what you are concerned about the extra direct-to-hull damage with a high critical chance + the proton damage boosting is pretty solid. It makes shields far less relevant but you will be killing those so fast anyway that it just means some nice extra damage. Besides if you want your Proton Cannons and the EPW to deal good damage you will also need some investment in them.
  • generator88generator88 Member Posts: 698 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Makes perfect sense, I just wanted to hear someone who's used it tell me they were getting what they paid for with it. :)

Thanks again.

Gen
    =================

I'm sure your DPS is great, but as Kahless said, "a petaQ with high system mastery is still a petaQ." (Well, he should have said it...!)
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014
    hasukurobi wrote: »
    With the setup I have done I have not found the need for extra Flow-Caps. I can shut down players and NPC's alike with great ease with my two main power drain skills or even Protonic Polaron procs + Leech alone.

Lol, I would love to see you pull that trick against healers in PvP (the ones with 130 power insulators). With flow caps down in the 100s, I fail to see how you could pull that off.
  • umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 748 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    My own approach, after getting in all the Solanae gear and sets, was to go for protonic polaron weapons, complete with the Dyson weapon set... and strap all of that on the Surveillance Dyson Science Destroyer variant - the one with 5 science slots.

I went with 5 Dyson rep sci console with [+Flow] for a total of +100 in Flow Capacitors along with the 10% proton damage proc having five time more chances to proc. I put my Solanae consoles all in my tac slots, and used my engineer slots to put the Plasmonic Leech and Valdore shield drain console.

While I do have the Dyson tactical consoles, I wasn't finding that they made all that big an impact in the current meta of STFs, so, I decided to go for something those Scimitar powerhouses can't do as well: hard drain lockdowns (And my Mhae's a sci, so, I can't ever reach that high peak anyways). Since then, I've felt my impact in both solo fights and group fights was much more significant -- even though I'll likely not win any DPS races (though I still manage to score in the first 3 in Elite Crystaline Entity, so it can't be that bad).

I pretty much pack every power listed on the Solanae secondary deflector except for Viral Matrix, so, my shield heals are very well covered. The set bonuses also include several active powers which serve as fantastic "oh shi-" buttons.

If my build is lacking one thing right now, it's better hull heals to have more sustainability versus attrition... because STF pug groups don't toss out heals and my Hazard Emitter I isn't enough (especially if I use it on other people to help out, and don't get the favor returned when I'm the one in trouble).

Thanks for the video! I didn't know there was a Voth Diplomacy Doff helping lower weapon power. Maybe I'll look for it and experiment, if it falls in my budget.
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    umaeko wrote: »
    My own approach, after getting in all the Solanae gear and sets, was to go for protonic polaron weapons, complete with the Dyson weapon set... and strap all of that on the Surveillance Dyson Science Destroyer variant - the one with 5 science slots.

I went with 5 Dyson rep sci console with [+Flow] for a total of +100 in Flow Capacitors along with the 10% proton damage proc having five time more chances to proc. I put my Solanae consoles all in my tac slots, and used my engineer slots to put the Plasmonic Leech and Valdore shield drain console.

While I do have the Dyson tactical consoles, I wasn't finding that they made all that big an impact in the current meta of STFs, so, I decided to go for something those Scimitar powerhouses can't do as well: hard drain lockdowns (And my Mhae's a sci, so, I can't ever reach that high peak anyways). Since then, I've felt my impact in both solo fights and group fights was much more significant -- even though I'll likely not win any DPS races (though I still manage to score in the first 3 in Elite Crystaline Entity, so it can't be that bad).

I pretty much pack every power listed on the Solanae secondary deflector except for Viral Matrix, so, my shield heals are very well covered. The set bonuses also include several active powers which serve as fantastic "oh shi-" buttons.

If my build is lacking one thing right now, it's better hull heals to have more sustainability versus attrition... because STF pug groups don't toss out heals and my Hazard Emitter I isn't enough (especially if I use it on other people to help out, and don't get the favor returned when I'm the one in trouble).

Thanks for the video! I didn't know there was a Voth Diplomacy Doff helping lower weapon power. Maybe I'll look for it and experiment, if it falls in my budget.

that is an interesting way of going about it. If I was not already able to power down enemies easily I would probably go that way but I do not seem to have any trouble in doing it.

However, the build you are suggesting sounds like it would also be viable and maybe it would even be better yet with an Engineering captain at the helm.

One side note I would like to make: Try to use Energy Syphon BEFORE you use Tyken's Rift or any of the attack consoles because the power boost will help your damage and drain even more. (This is not directed at umaeko just a general note)
  • umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 748 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Still good advice, though!

To be honest, I too am kind of thinking I might have overinvested in Flow Capacitors. Oh, I know this helps me get enemies drained/locked-down faster, meaning more time for them being powered down... but I'm wondering if I shouldn't have had poured more points in Particle Generators.

Why? The potency of singularity powers like Plasma Shockwave, how much the GravWell1/Tyken Rift3 hurts as well as the gravimetric torpedo's own Gravwell1 proc - as well as the proton damage science proc from the Dyson sci consoles.

I'm going for a mobility control build on a Fleet Intrepid, and the +60 ParticleGen bonus its consoles give it seems to make a fairly potent difference: between GravWell3 and TorpSpread3 with gravimetric torpedoes... that's one ship that's not scared of fighting a big Voth cruiser/battleship group because it'll steadily grind them down into so much scrap metal.

Then again, the Advanced Dyson science destroyers are pretty much slated to be drain builds, and nearly all powers supported by the secondary deflector gain from Flow Capacitors. Drains from Plasmonic Leech and Energy Siphon in turn help maintain high weapon power, which enables higher DPS and greater potency for powers such as Proton Barrage.

I figure it's a balancing act between figuring out what you actually need and what would be more effective with the chosen playstyle. That said, going heavy on the Tac consoles is a very good idea - I tried it before and it was effective. Going all sci consoles felt more satisfying to me in contrast, though I think I went a bit overboard in my flow capacitor specialization.

I'd also get better numbers from Rom Embassy consoles, which makes me wonder how much I care for the proton proc vs. getting +30ish and a 2.5% chance of getting - say - a hull heal (and I'm starved for hull healing in this setup; I'll probably grab Aux2Struct1).
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Here is what I have for my Romulan Dyson Science Destroyer so far. I explain what I think about it, what it can do, show its bridge, and kill some Elite Khitomer Vortex. This is not my Master Build yet but it is a very workable build: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kML3Xk1oT8&feature=gp-n-y

I love reviews like this! Good one! :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited March 2014

After watching your vid, I went with your exact build.

What can I say?! It's not bad per se, but there's an innate issue with the use of polaron + proton, which is just hard to solve. I mean, 4x Dyson Autotargeting consoles -- whilst I fully understand why they're needed -- kinda underline the core issue with these ships: that proton dmg is warranted, where proton dmg can only be gotten by fitting sub-par Autotargeting consoles (compared to VL consoles). None of which is your fault, of course.

Turn rate feels significantly lower than that of my Mobius, for some reason. And it's annoying not being able to use a sustained cannon attack.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • annahannah Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    From my own testing, using 4 auto locators + proton weaponry gives in the end pretty similar dps as neglecting proton damage and going with vulnerability locators.

My setup is:
    Proton DHC (built in).
    Experimental Proton Weapon.
    Protonic Polaron DHC (crthx2).
    Grav Torp.

Rear:
    Emo beam
    2x Protonic Polaron Turrets crthx2

4 autolocators with +pol will give +80% polaron dmg.
    They also give +60% proton damage, but with the 2 piece from c-store destabilizer beam + secondary deflector it gives another 17% proton and the console from dyson rep is 13% so you're looking at +90% total proton damage.

So the proton DHC is boosted, the experimental proton weapon, the proc on the protonic polarons, as well as the destabilized proton beam.
    Also with 3 piece dyson space set, you get proton barrage, which also gets boosted with proton damage.

And should they fix the 3 set bonus for the c-store console, getting the shield inversion thingie, which also does proton damage, would be a nice option. (note: 3 piece is said to lower cooldown of the c-store consoles with 1 minute, from 3 to 2 mins, it does not work atm).

Been running parses on the starbase 234.
    My setup clocks in around 9.5-10.5k, this is against only the starbase, so 1 target, nothing else. static object.
    Putting in my romulan plasma dhcs with vulnerability locators i saw pretty much same numbers.

I think something to keep in mind is most things have resists to polaron, plasma, disrupter etc damage.
    But so far i've not seen anything which resists proton damage, so they tend to hit very, very hard.
    edited March 2014
    annah wrote: »
    From my own testing, using 4 auto locators + proton weaponry gives in the end pretty similar dps as neglecting proton damage and going with vulnerability locators.

My setup is:
    Proton DHC (built in).
    Experimental Proton Weapon.
    Protonic Polaron DHC (crthx2).
    Grav Torp.

Rear:
    Emo beam
    2x Protonic Polaron Turrets crthx2

4 autolocators with +pol will give +80% polaron dmg.
    They also give +60% proton damage, but with the 2 piece from c-store destabilizer beam + secondary deflector it gives another 17% proton and the console from dyson rep is 13% so you're looking at +90% total proton damage.

So the proton DHC is boosted, the experimental proton weapon, the proc on the protonic polarons, as well as the destabilized proton beam.
    Also with 3 piece dyson space set, you get proton barrage, which also gets boosted with proton damage.

Yeah, the polaron/proton mix is kinda comparable to just using VL [+Pol] consoles. However, missing out on 4x 1.6% CrtH is taking a massive loss in that department.
    And should they fix the 3 set bonus for the c-store console, getting the shield inversion thingie, which also does proton damage, would be a nice option. (note: 3 piece is said to lower cooldown of the c-store consoles with 1 minute, from 3 to 2 mins, it does not work atm).

Hmm, didn't even realize it was broken. :) They best fix that, then.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • annahannah Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Yeah, the polaron/proton mix is kinda comparable to just using VL [+Pol] consoles. However, missing out on 4x 1.6% CrtH is taking a massive loss in that department.

Aye, its a loss. but you do get some crth/crtd from the accuracy overflow, 4 autoloators is +10% accuracy. Won't be as much i know, but its some.

meimeitoo wrote: »
    Hmm, didn't even realize it was broken. :) They best fix that, then.

Well i've only tested romulan version, not fed/kdf, they could be working fine for all i know.
    But when i tested it, tooltip did not change.
    And when i used the skill(s), they'd show 2 min cooldown, but it's 2:59.
    The proton barrage which is a 2 min cooldown skill shows 1 min when used, 1:59.