test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Best space set for science

valkarie14valkarie14 Member Posts: 762 Arc User
I just wondering the best space set for science, i been looking at the borg and solonae but wondered what everyones choices are and why :)
Post edited by valkarie14 on

Comments

• ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It depends on the tactics you are going to use.

The Klingon Honor Guard [aka Adapted MACO] deflector has four buffs to offensive science skills, so if you are going to be running around dropping gravwell and drains and tractor beam then that is the best deflector. KHG shield also has the largest capacity, and is a good fit with end-game science ship that has a large shield modifier that can keep it fully powered. I use this set on every science ship I own.

The Jem'Hadar deflector has the largest numeric buffs to graviton, confuse and drain skill, but no buff to particle generators. Jem'Hadar Mk XI shields are lower than all of the Mk XII sets, but if you get some Lobi you can upgrade to Mk XII. When I use the JH deflector, I use it alone and mix in other pieces like fleet shield.

All of the other sets are defensive in nature. Many of the other deflectors buff science skills, but they are defensive skills like drain resists, rather than offensive skills.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Depends what you're after, but I do like using a high Flow Cap Deflector with the breen 2set for transphasic torpedos - a kinetic build lets you run a lot of power to aux and shields.

Otherwise, the Assimilated set is nice for general sturdiness and set abilities. Honor Guard/Adapted MACO is also surprisingly good for science ships(good science deflector combined with defensive placate and useful set bonuses).
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    valkarie14 wrote: »
    I just wondering the best space set for science, i been looking at the borg and solonae but wondered what everyones choices are and why :)

Fond of the adapted maco set myself.

Lots of shield and a good all round set.

Even the mask energy field is useful sometimes in PvE.

Borg set is always an option.

The free tractor beam is a nice addon for a sci, and combined with the KCB does nasty things.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The borg set is wonderful on a tank, especially an Atrox.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • no09dysonsphereno09dysonsphere Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Imo there is no 'best' set for sci, there are problems with all of the them, although the solanae set has the best individual set pieces.

For the deflector, i tend to like particle generators and flow capacitors in that order - unfortunately no deflector is really great at buffing just those two stats; you'll either end up with a deflector that has only one of the two or a jack of all trades deflector that provides a bunch of other useless stats. In that regard, solanae wins out because of the high particle generator value and very little stat 'waste' otherwise, with the dyson deflector coming close behind.

For shields, always go with resilient to protect your hull, solanae wins again.

Engines doesn't really matter.

The problem keeping the solanae set from being the best set is the lackluster set bonuses. What's funny though is that the borg set has arguably the best set bonuses but the pieces themselves are downright terrible for sci.
  • valkarie14valkarie14 Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Whats KCB? i was thinking borg set but the shield just too weak, i was thinkin polaron weapons so jem set wud be good but i mainly want to just help the team not win with dps, i was lookin at nukara stuff but tbh wasnt impressed, anyone got sci fed with a good sci space kit? I am tempted to get borg set for the hull regen and the graviton beam but not sure on the beams damage
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    KCB is the kinect cuting beam. one of the Omega reputation's weapons.
  • priestofsin420priestofsin420 Member Posts: 419
    edited February 2014
    Several choices.

If you're going heavy on torpedoes: Adapted MACO / Klingon Honor Guard

If you want a good all-around set: Borg

If you want a really tanky set: Nukara or MACO

If you're going for maximum Proton damage: Dyson

If you're a Romulan: Reman Prototype for lol-tastic high-yield plasma torps

If you want an awesome FREE set, either: A.) Solanae or B.) Jem'Hadar Mk XI (Mk XII available for lobi)

These are just my opinions, but they're good-looking opinions.
    Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
    Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
    Patiently waiting for a Romulan Science Vessel
    edited February 2014
    Im considerin borf mainly for the tractor beam, what sort of damage does it do? With sci team and transfer shield strength as the borg shield is high regen does it give shield heals extra to?
    edited February 2014
    Im considerin borf mainly for the tractor beam, what sort of damage does it do? With sci team and transfer shield strength as the borg shield is high regen does it give shield heals extra to?

Seem to remember the borg tractor does a bit of damage on its won, but also has a bit of energy drain.

However, there's a big bonus if it hits something recently hit by the KCB.

The combination on a bare hull is what you'd expect it to be :D
    edited February 2014
    I might use KCB with tractor n grav well on the tact cube at end of infected mixed with web mines or fleet transphasic :) solanae seems quite useful, i just want a mega powerful grav well lol
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Adapted MACO, Solanae are good ones..

I've found tho that if you are into shield drains that Omega Force combined with the 3 piece weapons set for Nukara and Destabilized tetryon works really really well if you have really high flow caps.

You don't have to limit it to science ships and a science captain. It worked well on any of my science ships but I particularly loved how I could put this on my Kumari ship and take down shields like crazy. (had the kumari ship that did the tetryon blast, and used the max skill from nukara interchangeably, tetryon glider from this set enhanced the shield drain on all of my weapons)
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The Klingon Honor Guard [aka Adapted MACO] deflector has four buffs to offensive science skills, so if you are going to be running around dropping gravwell and drains and tractor beam then that is the best deflector. KHG shield also has the largest capacity, and is a good fit with end-game science ship that has a large shield modifier that can keep it fully powered. I use this set on every science ship I own.

This is the set that I'm using on my sci boat right now. Well, the shields and deflector anyway. I love the 2 piece bonus with the Grav torp.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Science = borg set and romulan set (for the plasmas torps and the plasmas procs). I noticed that a plasma build is great for a science ship (even if i am not using it... ).

I think those two sets are the ones that fits most in science ships.
    edited February 2014
    Yeah borg set is sounding the best set, i not used the omega torps yet any gd?
    edited February 2014
    Yeah borg set is sounding the best set, i not used the omega torps yet any gd?

meh......they can be but not everyone likes them.

They are fun with torpedo spread, and the high yield can literally melt weakened ships.

I use them on a couple of toons and they are certainly not awful.

However, most people consider the romulan torpedo superior.

And, torp for torp, they are probably right.

All depends if you want that last set bonus or not.
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I used omega torps in the past, and they were really amazing combined with the hyper plasma ones, but as i read in other posts, it seems that right now cryptic nerfed em, and now it is not a good choice. But the hyper plasmas, on the other hand are still maybe one of the best torps in the game, and science ships can benefit a lot from plasma builds. The omega rep set can give you as well the borg tractor beam, that combined with the kcb, its really annoying (for your enemies lol).
    edited February 2014
    I used omega torps in the past, and they were really amazing combined with the hyper plasma ones, but as i read in other posts, it seems that right now cryptic nerfed em, and now it is not a good choice. But the hyper plasmas, on the other hand are still maybe one of the best torps in the game, and science ships can benefit a lot from plasma builds. The omega rep set can give you as well the borg tractor beam, that combined with the kcb, its really annoying (for your enemies lol).

If OP has access to a half way decent embassy, then they will also have access to those romulan science consoles.

Those will buff a borg-omega combination up nicely.
    edited February 2014
    Yeah i have access, what consoles are they? What they do?
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The best space set is the one that actually reinforces the science skills you have loaded up. Even then, depending on the set bonuses, you may or may not prefer to load the entire set.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • hecarriesmehecarriesme Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Last Nyt I just went thru the Breen story line Episodes with a good friend. Now the story itself wasn't all that. It was the set we the reward from getting the set. The Breen set together provides a special ability called an energy power drain. It is equivalent or even better than my Energy Siphon 3 which I can drain a standard cubes shield in 4 sec because I have fully skilled my Capt in Flow capacitors and use a Flow Capacitor console in Sci. This gives me 2 very powerful Energy Syphons and frees up another Boff ability slot for Tyken's rift 2. I found out that energy syphon is the best way to go to power your weapons with Science builds I get 125 weapons 3 sec after hitting my ES3 for 10 sec which is usually longer than it takes to take out 2 enemy. Oh! and I usually target a large enemy to syphon and then fire on 2 smaller enemy. This insures my syphon will last longer and I will be able to have that increase for the full 10 sec. or close.
    Good hunting to U !
    Hecarriesme :-)
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The best space set is the one that actually reinforces the science skills you have loaded up. Even then, depending on the set bonuses, you may or may not prefer to load the entire set.

I've been finding the Jem'Hadar set has been working well for my KDF Warrior For Science in this regard.
    <3
  • bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I tend to run fleet deflector as its cooldown reduction applies to your captain skills. Then either 2pc Honor Guard for torp builds or 2pc Maco for general builds but I don't really do sci very much/very well.