test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What about new alts.....

jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
I had a strange thought.. strange because I refused to do the anniversary "event" due to the direction they are taking it.

I now, shall not be buying the 9 ship mega pack (which I had planned to) due to the set for it, requires an item from the "event".

But what of you, who did do the "event" and plan on getting the bundles. What if, say in a months time, you think - time to make a new alt, to level up and skill, just for my new shiny ship bundle. But, you won't be able to get the 4th part to the set to complete your alt.

Then what ???

Has no one at Cryptic had the brainwave that locking a set piece behind a yearly "event" may be a bad move?

Has anyone who wants the C-Store versions taken a look at the blogs, seen that the new alts will not get the maximum out of the ship and thought, forget it then?

The reasons I bought the Oddy, Bortas and Scim packs, is so my current alts and new alts, had decent ships at max level - ships that they can get 100% out of.

The Dyson ships, only the characters who you took through the "event" can get the maximum out of them, as alts cannot get the extra bits

Am I crazy, or is this counter productive?

(Read "event" as - complete BS slap in the face to the player base)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Don't quote me on this but didn't the free version of the Obelisk carrier and the Oddysey end up as fleet ships in the Spire and Starbase respectively?

They'll probably do the same thing with the freebie DSD so it's still accessible.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, the ship might make returns on various Q Events and other types of things. Cryptic has said they are not done with QMendations so I would expect to see the Science Destroyer coming around again at least once or twice a year for those who did not get it the first time.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Yeah, the ship might make returns on various Q Events and other types of things. Cryptic has said they are not done with QMendations so I would expect to see the Science Destroyer coming around again at least once or twice a year for those who did not get it the first time.

Well, they have done TRIBBLE backwards then if this is the case - the whole point behind F2P games is you can either "grind" or drop cash to skip the grind and get your fully useable items right away.

10,000 Zen (for the mega pack) and I still have to grind some stupid BS to be able to use it properly??

I have to wait for the right "event" to show up before my alts can make full use of the 10,000 Zen pack?

Please tell me this is an early April fools :confused:
    edited February 2014
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    Well, they have done TRIBBLE backwards then if this is the case - the whole point behind F2P games is you can either "grind" or drop cash to skip the grind and get your fully useable items right away.
    That is not really true. Can you pay cash to get your STF gear? Romulan gear? No. For somethings grind is the only way to get it.
    10,000 Zen (for the mega pack) and I still have to grind some stupid BS to be able to use it properly??
    Use it properly? The odds are that you will not even want to use all the Universal Consoles on the Science Destroyers because you have access to other Consoles will you probably like more.

The notion that every Odyssey only slots Oddy Consoles, or every Kumari only slots Kumari Consoles is just not true. People slot what benefits their play-styles, not for a Set Bonus they might have no use for.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited February 2014
    That is not really true. Can you pay cash to get your STF gear? Romulan gear? No. For somethings grind is the only way to get it.

Use it properly? The odds are that you will not even want to use all the Universal Consoles on the Science Destroyers because you have access to other Consoles will you probably like more.

The notion that every Odyssey only slots Oddy Consoles, or every Kumari only slots Kumari Consoles is just not true. People slot what benefits their play-styles, not for a Set Bonus they might have no use for.

You need to go back and read the Dev blogs again, but as I'm feeling helpful, let me copy and paste it some of it
    You may only equip one of these mods per starship. Equipping all four pieces of the Solanae Advanced Technologies set will improve these consoles’ abilities.

So, you can ONLY EQUIP ONE (1) of the universal consoles (unlike the flag ships), and my point of "use it properly still stands - the 4 piece set bonus buffs your equipped console, making it stronger / better. - remember the good old days when the Borg set had a 4 piece set bonus, was quite common to see green tractor beams coming from players ships.

Those who wanted the packs for alts or who didn't take part in the "event", for whatever reason, are being short changed if they buy any Dyson ship - so much for "pay to win"... STO is becoming - pay to grind, to win, maybe.
    edited February 2014
    If you can "ONLY EQUIP ONE" per ship then why does the next sentence tell you what happens when you equip all four? :)

Obviously you can equip all 4. Plus the Set Bonus are in the current Dev Blog.
    The above consoles and the Solanae Secondary Deflector (found on the Anniversary reward Dyson ships) make up the 4 piece Solanae Advanced Technologies Set. Collecting and equipping all four pieces from this set will empower the powers provided by the consoles listed above. Below are the three set bonuses provided by the Solanae Advanced Technologies Set:

Solanae Energy Lattice (2 piece bonus)
    Self: +Proton Damage
    Self: +Starship Shield System (Shield Max HP)

Proton Energy Matrix (3 piece bonus)
    Reduces the cooldown on Dyson Science Destroyer console powers by 1 minute. This affects:
    Destabilized Proton Beam
    Protonic Shielding
    Shield Inversion

Solanae Synergy (4 piece bonus)
    Upgrades all three Dyson Science Destroyer console powers:
    Destabilized Proton Beam: Will deal its damage over time much more quickly.
    Protonic Shielding: Activating this ability also heals shields of allies within 5km
    Shield Inversion: Allies affected also receive a shield hardness buff and shield heal over time

The 2-piece set is good if you are using Proton damage on your ship, but not all that helpful if not.

The 3-piece set is only useful if you are also using the 4 piece Set from the FE. If not, again, not helpful.

So the odds are unless you are using both 4-piece Sets you might not have use for all the bonuses.
    edited February 2014
    If you can "ONLY EQUIP ONE" per ship then why does the next sentence tell you what happens when you equip all four? :)

Obviously you can equip all 4. Plus the Set Bonus are in the current Dev Blog.

The "equip one" is the universal console, not any of the 4 piece set.

Hence why the universal consoles get a buff from the 4 piece set not from each other like the flag ships do.

So, 10,000 Zen gets you a ship, where you will not get the full set bonuses if it's a new alt or you did not partake of the "event"

Clear now?
    edited February 2014
    As I posted above, the intent is to slot all 3 Universal Consoles with the Secondary Deflector to get the 4-piece Set Bonus.

The Science Destroyer has two 4-piece Sets:

Set 1: Warp Core, Deflector, Engine, Shields.

Set 2: Universal Console 1, Universal Console 2, Universal Console 3, Secondary Deflector.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Mostly because it looks like even they don't know what the frell they're talking about, as "only one" applies to "Console Mods," which they then apparently specify as BOff seating for each ship:
    NOTE: The Console Mods listed on the ships above can be equipped in any console slot. They may only be equipped on Dyson Science Destroyer ship variants. You may only equip one of these mods per starship.

Okay, only one "console mod" per ship. What's a "console mod?"
    Console Modifications: 4 Tactical, 2 Engineering, 4 Science
    Console – Universal – Proton Destabilizer Module

Console Modifications: 3 Tactical, 3 Engineering, 4 Science
    Console – Universal – Protonic Shield Matrix

Console Modifications: 3 Tactical, 2 Engineering, 5 Science
    Console – Universal – Shield Inversion Projector

Uh, yeah. "What is this I don't even..." indeed. So, these ships introduce a slottable item that alters your BOff layout? :eek:

That's not how I'm reading it...but as linked and quoted, the 4-piece set is indeed all 3 Universal Consoles plus the Solanae Secondary Deflector.
    edited February 2014
    As I posted above, the intent is to slot all 3 Universal Consoles with the Secondary Deflector to get the 4-piece Set Bonus.

The Science Destroyer has two 4-piece Sets:

Set 1: Warp Core, Deflector, Engine, Shields.

Set 2: Universal Console 1, Universal Console 2, Universal Console 3, Secondary Deflector.

As I posted above, the Set Bonuses from Set 2 really mostly only useful if you are also using Set 1.

Either you are having an off day, or you are trying to provoke me on purpose.....

The intent is not to slot all 3 universal consoles - AS THE BLOG CLEARLY STATES YOU CAN ONLY USE 1 AT A TIME - AS I HAVE POSTED

This is not the Oddy, Bortas or Scim.... you get 3 consoles, but you can only use 1 per loadout - only have 1 fitted to your ship at any given time. (according to how the Dev blog is worded - as I have already copied over)

So for the only equipped console you can use at a time, to get a buff, is to equip the 4 piece set (deflectors, shield and engine to give the 1 console a buff)

Solanae Synergy (4 piece bonus) <- Mission items x3, Anniversary Item x 1 = 4

Upgrades all three Dyson Science Destroyer console powers:
    Destabilized Proton Beam: Will deal its damage over time much more quickly.
    Protonic Shielding: Activating this ability also heals shields of allies within 5km
    Shield Inversion: Allies affected also receive a shield hardness buff and shield heal over time

No anniversary item - no console bonus - 10k Zen wasted as no bonus to consoles like those who did do the "event"
    edited February 2014
    The intent is not to slot all 3 universal consoles - AS THE BLOG CLEARLY STATES YOU CAN ONLY USE 1 AT A TIME - AS I HAVE POSTED
    The Mods and the Consoles are two different things. The Console Modification is referring to what your ship will look like when you make the transition from Science to Tactical. That has nothing to do with the Universal Consoles.

Anyway, you will find out soon enough. No reason for all the angst. :)
    edited February 2014
    Either you are having an off day, or you are trying to provoke me on purpose.....

Not really a binary situation here. Other possiblities: you're not reading it correctly, or the blog itself is in error.

You mean this blog, that says you have to slot all 3 to get the 4-piece set bonus?
    The above consoles and the Solanae Secondary Deflector (found on the Anniversary reward Dyson ships) make up the 4 piece Solanae Advanced Technologies Set. Collecting and equipping all four pieces from this set will empower the powers provided by the consoles listed above.

AS HAS BEEN POSTED BEFORE. :rolleyes:
    edited February 2014
    One last try... line by line....

The main quote
    Dev Blogs wrote:
    NOTE: The Console Mods listed on the ships above can be equipped in any console slot. They may only be equipped on Dyson Science Destroyer ship variants. You may only equip one of these mods per starship. Equipping all four pieces of the Solanae Advanced Technologies set will improve these consoles’ abilities.

This section is talking about the 3 universal consoles that come with the ships. Lets break it down.

1) "The Console Mods listed on the ships above can be equipped in any console slot." - this is the universal consoles

2) "They may only be equipped on Dyson Science Destroyer ship variants." - same as flagships universal console sets

3) "You may only equip one of these mods per starship." - this is the point you seem to miss, we are talking about the 3 universal consoles (like the flagships get) that give your ship a proton beam, shield drain or big shield heal - not the BO mode sci/tac

4)"Equipping all four pieces of the Solanae Advanced Technologies set will improve these consoles’ abilities." - All 4 of the deflector 1 and 2, shields and engines will affect the universal console abilities

You cannot equip all 3 universal consoles, the universal consoles do not have there own set bonus listed for being equipped at the same time (like the flagships do - IE 3 Uni set Scim gives big green pulse) due to not being able to equip all 3 consoles at the same time.

This is not the fire modes, this is not the BO hot swap, this is not some random little sticky out bits on the ship at the press of a button.

The whole "Note" is talking about the 3 universal consoles and the buff they get from a set some cannot complete, not even for 10,000 Zen
    edited February 2014

The main quote

This section is talking about the 3 universal consoles that come with the ships. Lets break it down.

1) "The Console Mods listed on the ships above can be equipped in any console slot." - this is the universal consoles

Let's look at their listings for "Console Mods" again, shall we?
    Console Modifications: 4 Tactical, 2 Engineering, 4 Science
    Console – Universal – Proton Destabilizer Module

Console Modifications: 3 Tactical, 3 Engineering, 4 Science
    Console – Universal – Protonic Shield Matrix

Console Modifications: 3 Tactical, 2 Engineering, 5 Science
    Console – Universal – Shield Inversion Projector

Yeah, you're obviously still not getting it.

Read this, slowly and carefully:
    The above consoles and the Solanae Secondary Deflector (found on the Anniversary reward Dyson ships) make up the 4 piece Solanae Advanced Technologies Set. Collecting and equipping all four pieces from this set will empower the powers provided by the consoles listed above.

Yeah, all 3 consoles. Hell, go replay the FE and look at the ship they have you flying- yep, all 3 consoles equipped on it. So, if I have to choose between your claims and seeing them installed on a ship in-game, guess who loses.

Oh wait, there's more!
    You cannot equip all 3 universal consoles, the universal consoles do not have there own set bonus listed for being equipped at the same time (like the flagships do - IE 3 Uni set Scim gives big green pulse) due to not being able to equip all 3 consoles at the same time.

Yeah, about not being able to equip all 3, and them not having set bonuses: you're so wrong.

The above consoles and the Solanae Secondary Deflector (found on the Anniversary reward Dyson ships) make up the 4 piece Solanae Advanced Technologies Set. Collecting and equipping all four pieces from this set will empower the powers provided by the consoles listed above. Below are the three set bonuses provided by the Solanae Advanced Technologies Set:

Solanae Energy Lattice (2 piece bonus)

Self: +Proton Damage
    Self: +Starship Shield System (Shield Max HP)
    Proton Energy Matrix (3 piece bonus)

Reduces the cooldown on Dyson Science Destroyer console powers by 1 minute. This affects:
    Destabilized Proton Beam
    Protonic Shielding
    Shield Inversion
    Solanae Synergy (4 piece bonus)
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You need to go back and read the Dev blogs again, but as I'm feeling helpful, let me copy and paste it some of it

So, you can ONLY EQUIP ONE (1) of the universal consoles (unlike the flag ships), and my point of "use it properly still stands - the 4 piece set bonus buffs your equipped console, making it stronger / better. - remember the good old days when the Borg set had a 4 piece set bonus, was quite common to see green tractor beams coming from players ships.

Those who wanted the packs for alts or who didn't take part in the "event", for whatever reason, are being short changed if they buy any Dyson ship - so much for "pay to win"... STO is becoming - pay to grind, to win, maybe.

That was not worded properly. The consoles that come on the Dyson ships in the c-store are all part of the same set. What the blog meant is that you can only equip 1 of *each* console on a single ship, not 1 console period.
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I believe the "you can only equip one" means one of each type = not equiping the same console twice (since you could pick console unlimited time with cstore unlocks).

About the topic: that's why I think this whole thing with the parts in the grind ships was a bad idea.
    I neither want to buy the cstore ships nor do I want any more characters, but still, 100 bugs for a ship that needs parts to be used at its full (intended ) potential which are only available once a year... That's not a smart design.

I'll bet there will be a lot of posts around here of people who didn't get that part and ask for their money back. After all, cryptic is asking for that kind of reaction with that move.
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    That was not worded properly. The consoles that come on the Dyson ships in the c-store are all part of the same set. What the blog meant is that you can only equip 1 of *each* console on a single ship, not 1 console period.

I was all set to reply about how they should have been more clear by adding "of each" in there, but you beat me to it while I was typing.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited February 2014

The main quote

2) "They may only be equipped on Dyson Science Destroyer ship variants." - same as flagships universal console sets

3) "You may only equip one of these mods per starship." - this is the point you seem to miss, we are talking about the 3 universal consoles (like the flagships get) that give your ship a proton beam, shield drain or big shield heal - not the BO mode sci/tac

4)"Equipping all four pieces of the Solanae Advanced Technologies set will improve these consoles’ abilities." - All 4 of the deflector 1 and 2, shields and engines will affect the universal console abilities

This is not the fire modes, this is not the BO hot swap, this is not some random little sticky out bits on the ship at the press of a button.

The whole "Note" is talking about the 3 universal consoles and the buff they get from a set some cannot complete, not even for 10,000 Zen

The Solanae Advanced Technologies Set is the three consoles plus the secondary deflector. The Warp/Sing Core, Impulse Engine, Shield and (PRimary) Deflector are the Solanae Hybrid Technologies Set.

The blog is confusing, but the "console mod" is not the special set consoles by context.
    edited February 2014

Read this, slowly and carefully:

Did one better, stopped reading the blogs and went to STO Wiki (a first for me btw)

Cryptic, if you are going to and notes and highlight areas of dev blogs - do it friggin right, going around in circles at 02:44 is not fun ! :mad:

Cosmic, aloishammer, I apologise, the wording of the blogs ( "You may only equip one of these mods per starship." part) could have been a lot better.

However, my point of set pieces being locked behind an event does still stand, and as I have seen on STO Wiki, even more so as the Solanae Advanced Technologies and Solanae Hybrid Technologies both rely on items locked away behind an event not everyone could or would do.

So, actually, the problem just doubled - as there was 1 set some could not complete turned in to 2 sets - all from the same thing ! :eek:

Sorry again folks for being somewhat irate - I think Bran needs to proof read all blogs in future ;)
    edited February 2014
    Cosmic, aloishammer, I apologise, the wording of the blogs ( "You may only equip one of these mods per starship." part) could have been a lot better.

Accepted, actually unnecessary, and yeah- "a lot better" is an understatement.
    However, my point of set pieces being locked behind an event does still stand, and as I have seen on STO Wiki, even more so as the Solanae Advanced Technologies and Solanae Hybrid Technologies both rely on items locked away behind an event not everyone could or would do.

Never intended to dispute that part anyway. Now, brushing it off as just more of the new "Anniversary Work Detail" paradigm, sure. Just more "Welcome to STO 2014." "In STO- that's the sound of the grind..." Sing it, Sam Cooke! ;)
    edited February 2014
    Accepted, actually unnecessary, and yeah- "a lot better" is an understatement.

Yea, I think I will blame the new guy - you know, that one who took over from Bran but never seems to show up around these parts.

He has a yellow name.... I know I've seen it, once, when Bran posted it....

So, as he does not come here and thus cannot contradict me, it's his fault :P
    edited February 2014
    And while I completely understand your point, I think my original point stands as well: most people are not going to want to lose all the Console slots to get the complete SAT Set bonuses.

I also do not believe most people will even slot the entire SHT Set because they are probably already happy with the Omega/MACO/Whatever that is more suited to their play-style - the Rep Equipment is better then the FE gear, IMO.

And finally, I do not consider the 4th piece bonus on either Set to be that useful. The Metaphasic Shield from SHT is not worth getting that excited about and the SAT bonus is really just a slight buff on the 3 Universal Console abilities.

These are not things someone cannot wait until the next Event to get if they missed it this time, IMO.
    Sorry again folks for being somewhat irate - I think Bran needs to proof read all blogs in future ;)
    It is Trevor who does that work now. Brandon has moved upstairs. :)

And it's all good. I do not take forum disagreements seriously. :)
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    And while I completely understand your point, I think my original point stands as well: most people are not going to want to lose all the Console slots to get the complete SAT Set bonuses.

I also do not believe most people will even slot the entire SHT Set because they are probably already happy with the Omega/MACO/Whatever that is more suited to their play-style - the Rep Equipment is better then the FE gear, IMO.

And finally, I do not consider the 4th piece bonus on either Set to be that useful. The Metaphasic Shield from SHT is not worth getting that excited about and the SAT bonus is really just a slight buff on the 3 Universal Console abilities.

These are not things someone cannot wait until the next Event to get if they missed it this time, IMO.

Looking at the dev-blog-thread I'd say nobody will buy that anyway....
    However, I can't speak for others, but even if I were interested in the set, for 50 bugs ( or even 100) I don't buy half functioning virtual items.
    If I don't use all consoles that's my choice, but I should be able to make it fully functional in the way it is designed by its creators, and that is with both sets.

On the Kumari for example, I don't use the consoles, but therefore I regret having bought the full set in the first place.

Own scimitar on the other hand I like the full set. A lot. I don't care if I'd be more efficient with other consoles, unless I do pvp with it or any kind of challenging pve comes around they stay.
    edited February 2014

Oh I see your point now, a lot of people will stick with what they have.

I however like to keep things themed and "pure" (for lack of a better word)
    Back when the Borg set was 4 items and it was common to use 2 Borg and 2 maco, I used all 4 Borg. I always use my full Oddy, Bortas and Scim consoles, never have undocked without them, they are what makes the ships unique - same goes for the Dyson ships, the gear makes them unique to fly, something some of us will miss out on, as the hype will be gone next anniversary event.
    edited February 2014
    Looking at the dev-blog-thread I'd say nobody will buy that anyway....
    However, I can't speak for others, but even if I were interested in the set, for 50 bugs ( or even 100) I don't buy half functioning virtual items.
    If I don't use all consoles that's my choice, but I should be able to make it fully functional in the way it is designed by its creators, and that is with both sets.

On the Kumari for example, I don't use the consoles, but therefore I regret having bought the full set in the first place.

Own scimitar on the other hand I like the full set. A lot. I don't care if I'd be more efficient with other consoles, unless I do pvp with it or any kind of challenging pve comes around they stay.
    Yeah, but looking at the Fed ship let us use the Montgomery as an example: 4 Tac, 2 Eng, and 4 Science Console Slots.

I assume the general use for the ship is going to be: launch a big Science Ability and then transform to Tac and pew-pew it to death. So you want the 4 Tac Slots of the pew-pew and you want the 4 Sci slots for the big Science Ability. That means you use the 2 Eng Console Slots for 2 of the Universals and then you have to use either a Tac or Science - probably Science - for the third.

Now you have a ship with 3 bonus powers - with relatively long cool-downs - and 4 Tac slots and 3 Science slots. That makes you very under-powered in combat - and no Engineer slots means no damage resistance buffs. It is just not a combination I would want to play.

You can get away with some things on the Scimitar because that ship is a beast. This Science Destroyer, not so much.
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, but looking at the Fed ship let us use the Montgomery as an example: 4 Tac, 2 Eng, and 4 Science Console Slots.

I assume the general use for the ship is going to be: launch a big Science Ability and then transform to Tac and pew-pew it to death. So you want the 4 Tac Slots of the pew-pew and you want the 4 Sci slots for the big Science Ability. That means you use the 2 Eng Console Slots for 2 of the Universals and then you have to use either a Tac or Science - probably Science - for the third.

Now you have a ship with 3 bonus powers - with relatively long cool-downs - and 4 Tac slots and 3 Science slots. That makes you very under-powered in combat - and no Engineer slots means no damage resistance buffs. It is just not a combination I would want to play.

You can get away with some things on the Scimitar because that ship is a beast. This Science Destroyer, not so much.

That is not how I would done it.
    I'm a power drain player, so 5 flow caps plus the consoles then whatever is left for tac consoles.
    ES3 and 1, subsystems targeting, who needs defense when they cannot hurt you to start with.
    Set powers to help finish them off.
    edited February 2014
    That is not how I would done it.
    I'm a power drain player, so 5 flow caps plus the consoles then whatever is left for tac consoles.
    ES3 and 1, subsystems targeting, who needs defense when they cannot hurt you to start with.
    Set powers to help finish them off.
    Yeah, but there are other Science Vessels more adept at being a support/drainer rather then trying to do it with a Destroyer. The whole point of the ship is that it is a Escort-type. If you are not focusing on the Tactical and cannons then you might as well just stick with the Vesta Pack, IMO - especially since it will have Secondary Deflectors soon too. You are not gaining anything by trying to make the Science Destroyer a pure Science Vessel.
  • paspinallpaspinall Member Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited February 2014

I have to wait for the right "event" to show up before my alts can make full use of the 10,000 Zen pack?

Please tell me this is an early April fools :confused:

Yeah it was SO early that we were warned about it, before the event ever started.
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, but there are other Science Vessels more adept at being a support/drainer rather then trying to do it with a Destroyer. The whole point of the ship is that it is a Escort-type. If you are not focusing on the Tactical and cannons then you might as well just stick with the Vesta Pack, IMO - especially since it will have Secondary Deflectors soon too. You are not gaining anything by trying to make the Science Destroyer a pure Science Vessel.

The whole point of a game is to have fun - and there are quite a few people who do not find being a sheep and conforming to the cookie cutter builds is not fun :P

The best and most fun I've had in STO, in PvE and PvP is making a ship do something unexpected. I can almost see the other players faces when my ship goes and does something that does not fit with the latest gimmick or cookie cutter set up.

The are already "best" (subjective term) practice setups and the C-Store versions are not out yet. (not at the time of writing this)

I've done some crazy things in various ships, that have worked because it was unexpected, unusual and crazy - and it was fun.

I do not have the Vesta pack, I do not want the Vesta pack. At the moment I'm playing with the Nebula and Intrepid classes and I was looking forward to the Dyson ships as new Sci and Engi experiments, but as I've stated, even after 10k Zen I won't be able to use it as fully designed due to the 2 sets for it having bits locked away.

My point for the thread, that seems to have been lost however, was what about the people who did do the event, then make an alt now for this C-Store mega pack - the new characters will also be stuck to make use of the 2 new sets designed for the new ships.

I think, those 2 pieces, should be account wide unlocks, so at least those who took part in the event, can make new characters if they wish and experiment with the new ships and new sets.

But hey, just me, wanting something nice for other players (as I have stated elsewhere, I did not and will not take part in a grind for what has always been a free ship)