test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rep Grind Over!

johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Reputation System
Yes, that's right, earlier tonight, I have...

...run out of Expertise! :P

So on the basis of that, and the fact that Cryptic took away the only decent source of Expertise (Mirror Universe Event) before introducing it's replacement (not to mention that discussions on Twitter seem to suggest that the reward for the revamped MU had not been settled on, meaning Bonus Expertise might not be on the cards), what would you say is the most time efficient way to earn Expertise to keep the ol' Rep Grind going?

As far as I can tell, you get a big chunk from missions BUT it's severely nerfed if you've already done the mission. Plus missions are sometimes fairly time-consuming. So for efficiency's sake, that's out. PvE missions award Expertise on a per kill basis, but that's like trying to fill a swimming pool by urinating in it. A leaky swimming pool at that. So i'm at a loss - I don't mind grinding for Marks and the like but Expertise, really? It's used for one other thing besides the rep and the Reps require ABSURD amounts, so why make it stupidly hard to acquire.
You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
Post edited by johngazman on

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I get thousands every day for doffing. most of my characters have millions....

*doesn't see issue*
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You can earn expertise at about 50% the rate of MU with NWS, if your good at it. Its probably the best way to grind expertise at the moment, and you get FMs as well.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

*doesn't see issue*

I tend not to Doff unless i'm Doffing for something specific - the Diplomacy/Marauding stuff, Boffs, Contraband, Epohhs etc. Perhaps that's my issue. Then again, if I Doff i'll do it once a day and then not check back until the next day.
    john98837 wrote: »
    You can earn expertise at about 50% the rate of MU with NWS, if your good at it. Its probably the best way to grind expertise at the moment, and you get FMs as well.

Leaving out that I suck at NWS, i'm mainly running the Rep Grind on Toons that don't have great ships and/or gear. So I might give it a shot but I suspect it's not going to get me as much as I need :D
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Doffing is definitely a good choice. I bought most of my Doffs for the purpose of doing the missions in the Dyson area. They work great I have yet to have a failure on even 1 of them. They give great rewards and I can skip the space portion on my science vessel (until they fix the rest of the science skills). For now I'll fly around stealthed picking up the Doff missions and letting them run, and doing ground missions for Dyson. I'm also doing the daily run of 1 foundry and 4-5 Fleet Mark instances to add to my fleet. I get plenty from what I'm doing.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I have done up to Tier 2 on my Nukura, the full Romulan, and on Tier 3 on Dyston on my main (Fed Engineer). I have yet to run out of expertise points.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    Yes, that's right, earlier tonight, I have...

...finished Dyson. Tonight.

No, seriously, I'm finally DONE grinding.

Until next season :(
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    klintobean81klintobean81 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Dude, I feel you!

I have finished all but 1 reputation system, and I'm out of Expertise too.

I have always had so much it over the past 4 years that it has never been an issue until now.

So I'm like...uh...ok.

Time to go back out in the galaxy and grind more to get expertise now?? lol

-Klintobean
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    daqhegh wrote: »
    ...finished Dyson. Tonight.

No, seriously, I'm finally DONE grinding.

Until next season :(

Dyson's easier though. I mean, it doesn't require expertise for every Rep project, only for the small 150 Rep Xp ones and the gear projects.

And that's why it's the best Rep so far and other Reps should cry themselves to sleep at night knowing they're inferior.
  • Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Poor thing...

Being you, I'd first check if I had some available Patrol missions.
    Then check dailies. Some of those give decent amounts.

You can go through "Spin the Wheel" (fair amount for needed time).

Otherwise, a full ESTF space run (excluding Hive) usually gives me around 10k. Not much but 2 new projects for sure.
  • Options
    slyism3003slyism3003 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Finished on my main a couple of weeks ago. Plan on starting on the Klingon once I get an acct. bank.
  • Options
    lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Getting the same issue... One toon is only at T2 and already almost out of expertise. :( And at T4 reps take about 30 to 40k per day.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well I'm stuffed. I ran out on my main earlier whilst attempting to purchase some Omega Gear. I've still got to complete the Romulan & Dyson Rep on the character yet. I'm amazed that I ran out to be honest, I thought exp was one of those things I'd always have enough of, but apparently I'm not stupidly short and can't buy desired items.

I've got the omega marks, the borg nodes, the dilithium etc, but not the exp. How strange a sentence is that? :rolleyes:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014

*doesn't see issue*

Same here. Even the "new" romulans are far from running out.... the "old" KDfs/Feds... still have millions. Cant see how they would ever run out of expertise.
  • Options
    klintobean81klintobean81 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well it is definitely happening to people! lol
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I have 20 odd million on my main Fed. I should be good for a while lol
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    a few more days of dyson grinding and nelen exil and t5 dyson rep is mine. at that point the only thing i need to concern myself with is what the z-store sci destroyer will be like and if it comes with an integrated cannon effing up any good chance of a good setup. in any event though ill keep plugging away getting protonic beam arrays, sci consoles and auto modules and maybe an engineering module, see how she flies under full dyson kit.

my main has finally come under 1m expertise yesterday. however it wont be hard to regain that by the "headless chicken" approach.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    farmallm wrote: »
    I have done up to Tier 2 on my Nukura, the full Romulan, and on Tier 3 on Dyston on my main (Fed Engineer). I have yet to run out of expertise points.

I just finished T5 on all of them today on my Fed Eng and then finally ran out of exp points..... that is likelyt because right after finishing T5 rep I purchased the entire Mk XII borg space set the entire Mk XII Adapted MACO ground set, the associated costume unlock and the Rom Experimental beam array, and that was within the first 40 minutes of finishing the Rom, Omega and Nukara reps (which I had been doing simultaneously) [Ifinished the Dyson rep last week].... and that's a lot of exp points right there. lol OF course, as I have nothing to buy immediately (Except maby the Adapter MACO space set for the toon, which I need more Omega marks for anyway, it il be abit before I need to buy anythiing).
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Start running random patrol missions, and note which ones yield a good return. There are a couple that take five minutes or so to run, and return a few thousand for the effort, but other than that - Play the game with your characters! Don't just mindlessly log them in to renew their rep missions! Leave ESD/First City/New Romulus Command and save the galaxy! Cry havoc, and set loose the Dogs of War!
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    I have 20 odd million on my main Fed. I should be good for a while lol

I have WAAYYYYY too much of the stuff. Personally, I think there needs to be a way to turn in a million or so for DIL. That would be a great way to get rid of it.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    risingstar2009risingstar2009 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I had a character with 2+ mil, then a final project for the Mine opened up and I filled it.
    Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles
  • Options
    lordvalecortezlordvalecortez Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Doffing. Even if you do it once a day it helps out. Just fill up your roster as much as you can and you should get a decent boost to your exp. I'm not saying it will solve everything overnight but it helps.
    Cheers from Antonio Valerio Cortez III, Half-Celestial Archduke of the Free Marches Confederacy.
  • Options
    therealfluffytherealfluffy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Simple solution: Make expertise tradable. After all, we all sell our expertise for a salary IRL.
  • Options
    lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Simple solution: Make expertise tradable. After all, we all sell our expertise for a salary IRL.

I like the sound of that. :) Maby like a direct EC to expertise market?
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Sphere of Influence gives a goodly chunk of points. Just do that eight times a day and you'll be fine.
    <3
  • Options
    edited February 2014

As good as that sounds in principle, that's a bad idea. Mainly because that just gives PWE the opportunity to monetise Expertise gain and yeah that's a road i'd rather they didn't go down.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Meh, I don't think I've ever spent expertise. EVER.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    cletusdeadmancletusdeadman Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yo, Cryptic! You took the only event out of the game that was designed to grant lots of expertise, but you didn't take the expertise requirement out of the reputation system.

This is game breaking to individual characters due to the large amounts of Xp your reputation system requires, not the fact that we can get very small quantities of Xp in other places.
    And you caused it!

Either reduce the Xp requirement, increase what we gain from other stuff so it balances, or put the stupid event back in the game.

I swear, this is the typical behavior I see from Cryptic repeatedly. Nothing makes it all the way to brilliant, it always stops just short at level: ridiculous.

I can't believe we have to stop and tell the game designer their game sucks and they are destroying their mechanics with poorly thought out changes and weak-TRIBBLE implementation.
    Talk about a lack of vision....
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yo, Cryptic! You took the only event out of the game that was designed to grant lots of expertise, but you didn't take the expertise requirement out of the reputation system.

This is game breaking to individual characters due to the large amounts of Xp your reputation system requires, not the fact that we can get very small quantities of Xp in other places.
    And you caused it!

Either reduce the Xp requirement, increase what we gain from other stuff so it balances, or put the stupid event back in the game.

I swear, this is the typical behavior I see from Cryptic repeatedly. Nothing makes it all the way to brilliant, it always stops just short at level: ridiculous.

I can't believe we have to stop and tell the game designer their game sucks and they are destroying their mechanics with poorly thought out changes and weak-TRIBBLE implementation.
    Talk about a lack of vision....

There is nothing game breaking about the lack of a MU event. I've had no problem with expertise, and I just completed T5 on all 4 reps on a a new Fed Eng yesterday, and then purchased the entire Assimilated Borg, Borg Adapted, and MACO Mk XII ground set and ran out of OMEGA marks and still have expertise to spare. I frankly want the Adapted MACO space and groun for the toon as well but ran out of Omega Marks for them.

Go play Dyson ground, plenty of exp there along with dil ore.
  • Options
    mindshadow999mindshadow999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    daqhegh wrote: »
    I have WAAYYYYY too much of the stuff. Personally, I think there needs to be a way to turn in a million or so for DIL. That would be a great way to get rid of it.

Or a fleet project or something. 500 Fleet Marks and 1 million Expertise, say.

I'm with the people who can't seem to imagine running out of Expertise, but then, I Doff constantly. Doff early, Doff often. Particularly on the KDF. Why would you ever not be Marauding?
  • Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    All skill points from missions are converted to expertise at max level so look for the good ones, or the ones with dil reward and you kill two birds with one stone. Just because the MU event is gone doesn't mean there aren't some good sources out there, it's just that you have to work for it.

Though maybe they should look at converting DOFF commendation points to it once you complete rank 4, if they don't already.

I have yet to run out of expertise and I haven't touched a mirror event in lord knows how long.