test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Necro Threads. How do they do it?

hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
You know, when I am surfing the sub-forums and reading threads and posts and posting and threading... and then BAM I come across a zombie thread that's been revived, I always scratch my head.

How do these people FIND these 6 month, 1 year, 2 year old threads? I mean seriously? They are sometimes hundreds (if not thousands in some cases) of pages back from the first page... and yet I see them being revived and posted in.

I mean, the best I can figure is they are using the "Search this Forum" function, but sometimes the randomness of the threads really get me going. For example, in the Fed Gameplay subforum there is currently a necro thread called "Montana Landing Site". That thread was over 5 months old and it got revived. Out of nowhere. Do people really search for this kind of thing?
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)

Comments

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    this thread will likely get hit by a mod and shut, this is discussing moderation by the way. when people wanna contribute to a thread that is already in the ground, they should start a new one, thats how it works.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Google. It gives you the date of the last time a thread was updated. Much better than the search function here.
  • Options
    josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    And, some people really do think Google is their friend.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    A lot of people look things up on Google or another search engine. They come across a thread and then start posting - often not even realizing how outdated the thread is. I mean, I seldom look at the dates of posts and generally only recognize a necro-thread due to the Archive title of the poster.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    See second post in this thread as mirrorchaos said it all ;) but to reiterate -

This is in some ways discussion of moderation actions and as such isn't allowed on the forums. If you see necro posting, just let us know DON'T ACTUALLY REPLY TO IT which a lot do unfortunately :(

/Closed
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

This discussion has been closed.