test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PvP Overhaul in Season 9?

captaindecker12captaindecker12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2014 in PvP Gameplay
So, the rumor is that PvP is getting an overhaul in Season 9 (forgive me if I don't hold my breath).

Does anyone know what said overhaul actually includes? What could Cryptic do to give PvP a kickstart that wouldn't require changing massive parts of the game?
Actual Join Date: Dec 2009 (Yes, that's pre-launch)
Post edited by captaindecker12 on

Comments

• majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Right now, there hasn't been a confirmation on a PvP revamp with Season 9. The only thing we know for certain is the fact that there will be a Ground Kit Revamp with Season 9. We also know that Season 9 will be released in April.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • brandonflbrandonfl Member Posts: 892
    edited February 2014
    Geko hinted at the fact that some development resources were shifted from the Foundry to PvP, temporarily. That's probably where the rumor started.

Don't forget to queue for small craft arenas too. I'm willing to bet Cryptic is paying attention to how many people participate in the only space PvP addition since launch, and that it might have an effect on future PvP development.
    LOLSTO
  • therealmttherealmt Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Simply put, no.

Homestly though brandonfl, thar shuttle arena was a 10 minute work copy paste job imo. Just add an entry in the queues and duplicate the data, change some restriction variables and done.

ok so we got 10 minutes of pvp work in 4 yerars haha.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited February 2014
    I think it probably took a little more time than 10 minutes, how much only a dev can say but ragging on them for what little attention they do give PvP isn't exactly helping things is it?

Having said that, I think you have to be careful what your asking for, you may want more attention but given the direction of the game and it's focus, are you sure you want it?

Spoiler:It may end up nothing like what you have now and may be massively dumbed down with even more pay to win than it is now.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    bpharma wrote: »
    I think it probably took a little more time than 10 minutes, how much only a dev can say but ragging on them for what little attention they do give PvP isn't exactly helping things is it?

Having said that, I think you have to be careful what your asking for, you may want more attention but given the direction of the game and it's focus, are you sure you want it?

Spoiler:It may end up nothing like what you have now and may be massively dumbed down with even more pay to win than it is now.

I haven't played STO much in a long time, and have pretty much given up on PvP now. I am unlikely to return in the given state. Maybe PvP can get even worse, but I know if it stays it is, it won't bring me back, neither to PVP nor STO for long. I'll level my Romulan, maybe try the new KDF missions, and be leaving again. If it changes, there is a chance I could be drawn back.

Of course, I don't want to ruin things for everyone that enjoys PvP right now, but if I am allowed to present my subjective and egoistical view on this... :)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • lordcuttersladelordcutterslade Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    yes...ground pvp gets a kit revamp....

as for space pvp...nope...unless you like shuttlol pvp.

and i bet people won't like the revamped space pvp anyways if there's gonna be one at some point...
    [SIGPIC]Everything is awesome![/SIGPIC]
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You can listen to the combination of Geko Part 2 and the D'Angelo Intro...to see there's no need to get your hopes up and be disappointed for 2014. You can still get your hopes up and be disappointed for 2015+ though...
  • ilhanskilhansk Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The headline of this thread should be changed into "Do you believe in Santa Claus?"

Would be more fitting...
    Visit the Inner Circle YouTube Channel to watch some STO pew pew PVP action!

• antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    They don't need to revamp the old pvp much really..

I would love them to TD the ques.

However I think what we are more likely to see is a battlezone more like the new voth one involving a lot of PvE with the ability to do some PvP. A mix between Kerrat and Cap and hold... if they bother with space. More likely they do a ground version... because they like doing ground stuff it looks better on there resumes. You don't get hired at blizzard doing space MMOs. I am half kidden I think.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This was leaked via twitter.

Oh, wait I totally misread the title.
  • brandonflbrandonfl Member Posts: 892
    edited February 2014

unnecessary and slightly cruel, thanks for taking me back to 1996 :P
    LOLSTO
  • wolverine595959wolverine595959 Member Posts: 726
    edited February 2014
    I want a Joey Fatone Boff, he will be relevant for 5 minutes and then suck at everything else after that. :D
    Hey I Used to be Captain Data, well I guess I still am in game but the account link really screwed everything up :rolleyes:
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2014

If Geko decides that the "bag" for kits with the revamp should be overalls - there's going to be a bunch of groundpounders that remember your post here. :P
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014

LOL

Ok back on topic, main thing I would like for PVP is some kind of lobby system to make it easier for teams to find other competitive teams to face so they don't have to waste as much times searching the queues if they can find full teams to fight there. This would hopefully address many of the premade vs pug issue many are complaining about without forcing premades or pugs to not use the current queues. Also it could have a TD mode that would randomly balance teams.

A new dyson sphere warzone also sounds fun, I would like a new space warzone and also the current ones need some working on.

Cap and hold should be made more interesting by more incentives to actually capture and hold such as receiving buffs and/or npc allies.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • therealmttherealmt Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    bpharma wrote: »

It has helped for the last few years ;) Look what we got! A new Shuttle map! You cannot deny this was all accomplished without my help towards the devs ;P

Oh and PvP content doesn't necessarily mean more muddling with the current mechanics, a new warzone, kerrat like, new dynamic hazards, new arena/CnH maps would be fun :)

Ever experienced the feeling you really wanted something badly and when the moment was finally there you were disappointed about your feeling that should have been excitement? :p its GONEEEEEEEEE!!! NOESSS
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • timezargtimezarg Member Posts: 1,268
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, I'd settle for at least getting a new warzone and some maps. It's better than nothing, at least.

The problem is, PvP won't see any significant increase in numbers until they fix the system itself. Segregate the uber-skilled players from the newbies, make it impossible to have premades in the pugs (meaning if you want to fight in a premade, use the private queues), and add to the rewards PvP can offer. That would take a bit more work than some zones and maps.
    tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
  • bobtheyakbobtheyak Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Overhaul PvP and I might consider gracing you all with my magnanimous presence <3
  • warr182warr182 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Their's so much potential in STO pvp combat when we cap give us planetary defeances , let us raid resources and raid SOl or Qo nos once or twice a day as a reward in territory control or let us vote where we raid ,daly ,In real space war we would fight to a system then we would fight in the planets atmostpher then to the ground , to take and hold a planet than a system , We could oribit strike ground targets with our ship , And fire planetary defeances at the attacking ships from the ground .All of that sounds very fun and its what , We the pvp commutiy deserve it for standing bebind STO for 4 years with nothing new in pvp , We still play pvp cause the ship combat is soild .And all of us hope you ll see the potential in bringing true space to ground warfare into pvp , Its about time you guys help the pvp out in STO and the the ground warzones is a perfect stepping stone for it ,i know you guys say pvps not that polular,,,, but we ve been playing the same maps the same way for 4 years ,,,,come on give us the game we deserve for sopporting you,,,,thx 4 a great game later
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Good idea, like a space version of the Dyson ground battlezone but for pvp, sounds fun.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • tydunetydune Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I also would like to see a rep system for pvp . plz give us pvpers something to look foreward to
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    tydune wrote: »
    I also would like to see a rep system for pvp . plz give us pvpers something to look foreward to

I don't look forward to reps.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    voporak wrote: »
    I don't look forward to reps.

It will be funny when they rage over their own rep powers being too OP.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited February 2014
    lol

Imagine if the npcs complained and got them nerfed. Serve em right.

For that to happen they would be smart enough to be more of a challenge :P

In other words, if the human brain was simple to understand we would be too simple to understand it,

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There will be no overhaul or revamp of PvP. You might get some additions, but I can't see anything spectacular happening. By all means though, prove me wrong devs.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • gammatroopgammatroop Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Oh yes I would love that idea very much. A separate pvp mode where people can fight it out against few sectors similar to the voth battlezone probably just not as large as that.

Perhaps even with some strategic sectors in it that's preventing far away ships from detecting you inside an asteroid belt and stuff like that.

PVP and PVE would be most wanted. Game modes like that exist for a long time although they were usually rts based.

Z, Z: Steel soldiers, Company of Heores, Men of war, Starfleet command series in online mode etc.
  • darthhawkedarthhawke Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I agree we need more pvp maps like on Qronos or Starfleet. If Cryptic can think of Pvp gear that would be great as well. This game can get boring with no pvp after a while. Please advise crptic and thank you.

James T. Curt.
  • mancommancom Member Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Whatever happened to the planned ground dueling zones on Andoria?
  • verusisraelverusisrael Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    warr182 wrote: »
    Their's so much potential in STO pvp combat when we cap give us planetary defeances , let us raid resources and raid SOl or Qo nos once or twice a day as a reward in territory control or let us vote where we raid ,daly ,In real space war we would fight to a system then we would fight in the planets atmostpher then to the ground , to take and hold a planet than a system , We could oribit strike ground targets with our ship , And fire planetary defeances at the attacking ships from the ground .All of that sounds very fun and its what , We the pvp commutiy deserve it for standing bebind STO for 4 years with nothing new in pvp , We still play pvp cause the ship combat is soild .And all of us hope you ll see the potential in bringing true space to ground warfare into pvp , Its about time you guys help the pvp out in STO and the the ground warzones is a perfect stepping stone for it ,i know you guys say pvps not that polular,,,, but we ve been playing the same maps the same way for 4 years ,,,,come on give us the game we deserve for sopporting you,,,,thx 4 a great game later

it would be nice to not play the SAME damn maps over and over, I like cracked planet because it has some things to dart behind and navigate around. I would also enjoy a WvWvW situation like you see in GW2. Hell the WHOLE pvp scene needs to be revamped to a GW2 style. When someone beats you there its because they put together a better build than you and are better at using it. NOT because they have no life or job and grind all day OR they paid their way to the top.
  • ronrobaronroba Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    darthhawke wrote: »
    I agree we need more pvp maps like on Qronos or Starfleet. If Cryptic can think of Pvp gear that would be great as well. This game can get boring with no pvp after a while. Please advise crptic and thank you.

James T. Curt.

I agree.... I would also like too see an open pvp mode... Its kinda weird going through subspace seeing the enemy faction around and cant do anything about it XD.

For those that dont like Pvp could turn off this certain mode or tuen it on if your up for it...