test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Isn't it just time to end it the wars?

daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
Seriously isn't it time we end the Fed/Kdf war?

it's pointless and pretty damn annoying to say the least.

it's gone nowhere, and so much more has happened.

for that matter why hasn't the timeline moved yet? can we jump to 2414 already?

so much more has arived since the begining of the war, Starfleet and the KDF both have more enemies than can be defeated alone, and with the Romulan Republic in play, the war could be ended while focusing on more pressing matters.
Post edited by daedalus304 on

Comments

• thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The ground map in the Dyson Sphere was the first attempt at Territory Control. With potential PvP revamps being talked about, as well as an eventual PvP TC zones, I do not see anything as an end to the War - Geko even talks about how the events in the new FE anger the KDF when they learn the Federation has been studying a Dyson Sphere for decades.

Just because the war is going nowhere does not mean it will not eventually go somewhere. Heck, how many times have we thought all of STO is going nowhere? :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    No.

The Federation and Klingon Empire has a sort of tradition dating back from TOS to be repeatedly in conflict with each other. If anything, there's alot of potential storyline and whatnot that can take advantage of this backdrop. In the same way that DS9 had the all encompassing Dominion War. There was potential for non-war related material, but the Dominion War had so much potential, that the writers could repeatedly come back to that well when done with other things.

The current STO Federation-Klingon War has that potential. It's just the devs have Attention Span Issues when fleshing out ANY storyline, any modes of play in this game, or shortcuts taken (Romulans not being a real faction, for one). You can have storylines unique to the views for both the Federation and Klingon Empire from different parts of the quadrant as the war rages, showing the ebb and flow of the war.

I also believe that keeping the major powers at conflict with each other reinforces at least SOME sort of difference between the factions. If there is no conflict, nothing to be at odds over, then there really is no need for anything but 1 faction, 1 storyline, 1 point of view.

And I call that bland, esp. when the 3 major powers are involved.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    [QUOTE how many times have we thought all of STO is going nowhere? :)[/QUOTE]

now and still now, it's in a standstill, a Star Trek game has a primary role of supplying Stories, and Cryptic has been way too slow on that.

Regardless, the War makes no real sense, all three sides have the same enemies, and they've been fighting along side for a while, it makes no sense to have the war heat up.
    edited February 2014
    Indeed.

The alliance just needs to die, and everything will be just fine, as has historically been with Star Trek :cool:

And the fractures of that alliance are showing in the FE.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • mutualcoremutualcore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It will end. It has been hinted at inside and out of the game. Now they even set up Tuvok to be the mediator the end the war.
    The new shuttle pvp lets you play as cross faction teams too.
    edited February 2014
    mutualcore wrote: »
    It will end. It has been hinted at inside and out of the game. Now they even set up Tuvok to be the mediator the end the war.
    The new shuttle pvp lets you play as cross faction teams too.
    Tuvok is going to be in the Voyager in the Delta Quadrant - where Season 9 and the Expansion are going to take place. He's not mediating any peace treaties. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited February 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Tuvok is going to be in the Voyager in the Delta Quadrant - where Season 9 and the Expansion are going to take place. He's not mediating any peace treaties. :)

In the meantime, war rages!

/hi5
    XzRTofz.gif
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    In the meantime, war rages!

/hi5

Qapla! It doesnt help the alliance that the Undine are now seen as a threat by the Feds even though the path to 2409 showed the Klingons tried to show this back in the day and where rebuked.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Meh, as soon as the Federation is ready to offer their complete and unconditional surrender...I'm sure the war can end. :cool:
  • generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited February 2014
    Captain's Log: 909043.23

- - - Transmission Start - - -

Begin Operation: Full Circle

- - - Transmission End - - -
  • mutualcoremutualcore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014

did you even play the new FE? the very end of it.
    edited February 2014
    mutualcore wrote: »
    did you even play the new FE? the very end of it.
    Yes, I have played it 10 times so far; but I have also listened to the second part of the Geko Priority One interview that came out on Thursday. :)
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Geko even talks about how the events in the new FE anger the KDF when they learn the Federation has been studying a Dyson Sphere for decades.

How could they NOT know about this? For 40 years? I imagine it would be quite difficult to cover up the discovery of a Dyson Sphere in the Beta Quadrant. Then again, it did sit there unnoticed for a VERY long time... :D
  • killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Seeing as ending the war would just open the gate for even less diversity of experience across factions in end game content, hell to the no.

Seriously, why do people think this would be a good idea? The fact that we already share every new release is stupid. Red and Blue should be getting unique content every release, not the same stuff with a different HUD.
  • exa12exa12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    Qapla! It doesnt help the alliance that the Undine are now seen as a threat by the Feds even though the path to 2409 showed the Klingons tried to show this back in the day and where rebuked.

It isnt starfleet that refused to help, it was that cold-blooded dragon of a president that is, from all of the restrictions he placed on Starfleet, clearly and Undine infiltrator

If he is delivered in psionic shakles to Qo'noS, would that be a sufficent gesture to stop this petty bickering and deal with our real threats, i.e. fat Orion gangsters and idiotic Breen egotists

for spoiler text use #1b1c1f
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    exa12 wrote: »
    It isnt starfleet that refused to help, it was that cold-blooded dragon of a president that is, from all of the restrictions he placed on Starfleet, clearly and Undine infiltrator
    [meta]If that was so, we probably would have at least seen him by now.[/meta]

Still, there is no doubt that there is undine infiltration among Starfleet's upper ranks. We've seen it repeatedly.

The question is, why on Earth would the Klingons think that going to war with the Federation would solve anything? They can't conquer the Federation like they did the Gorn (we're too evenly matched), and if anything declaring war would probably make everyone less likely to listen to the Klingons.

So the war is stupid, and I'd be happy to see it end. I would also be happy to see it continue for reasons that actually make sense. Even if it's just "the Klingons have been bored with the peace in the galaxy, so they decided to pick a fight with the Federation using the excuse of Undine infiltration," or "Long-standing resentment among populations both sides allowed a disagreement over a single planet to spark an entire war."
  • vermatrixvermatrix Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ending the war? what war? the way the fed and kdf work together for the most part I don't see where there is a war now. We have Task Force Omega where they work together fighting the Borg, the Nukara Strikeforce where they work together fighting the Tholians, we have the New Romulus stuff where they work together to help the Romulan Republic with their new homeworld, and now we have all three working together against the Voth. As much team work as there is there it's hard to see where there is a war and plenty of reason to move the story along to officially end the war.

The best thing to do would be to just keep the Klingon War episode missions and story for the sake of new players and add a new episode or missions for level 50 players to explain ending the war. They could even raise the level cap (something that's been tossed around anyway) and use the new missions as part of that. As far as how it would affect pvp, theres no reason why it should, afterall, that's really not part of the story stuff, look at Romulan Republic players in pvp, because of the RR players choosing between fed or kdf as an ally you end up with RR against RR so pvp shouldn't even be part of the story stuff anyway, just a side thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    In the revamped fed storyline, there is something added in a dialogue that is interesting in the context.
    In the mission when you have to save an Orion, where she give clues about B'Vat and his plans, she also have a dialogue path where she talk about the beginning of the KDF storyline. This is totally new.

SPOILER

She say Worf's son died while trying to secure peace between Klingons and Fed. And considering his past as a Fed officer, he might want to follow his son's path.

I would really like to see Worf challenging the Undine they call a Chancellor, and take his place. Then make peace with the Feds, and kick some Undine/Iconian a**.
    The Federation and Klingon Empire has a sort of tradition dating back from TOS to be repeatedly in conflict with each other. If anything, there's alot of potential storyline and whatnot that can take advantage of this backdrop. In the same way that DS9 had the all encompassing Dominion War. There was potential for non-war related material, but the Dominion War had so much potential, that the writers could repeatedly come back to that well when done with other things.
    They also have a long tradition of love/hate relationship from TNG/DS9, and even a bit in Voyager. Worf and B'elanna, dealing with the 2sides of their culture, the Kuva'magh (spelling ?) or the Dominion war. Klingons fighting the fed, then siding together again.

In fact, it's quite similar to the Dominion war. The alliance between both was broken mostly because of a Founder infiltration. And because the FED refused to support them in their war against the Cardassian. In STO, it was broken because of Undine infiltration in the Gorn government, and the Fed refusing to support the Klingon in their war.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lordvalecortezlordvalecortez Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There is a war going on? Where? I haven't fired a shot in anger at someone I was in a formal state of war in forever. I've shot lots of other people we were just passing by but no one we're actually fighting on paper.

Seriously though, what war? Also we can't end a war that hasn't advanced since NOTHING has advanced at all. It's still Jan 1st, 2409. Everything is happening simultaneously and not at all at the same time. What needs to happen is the passage of time. Then the war can end one way or the other.
    Cheers from Antonio Valerio Cortez III, Half-Celestial Archduke of the Free Marches Confederacy.
  • exa12exa12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    [meta]If that was so, we probably would have at least seen him by now.[/meta]

why would he go anywhere near the PCs who have plenty of experience killing infiltrators, why take the risk
    Still, there is no doubt that there is undine infiltration among Starfleet's upper ranks. We've seen it repeatedly.
    a treaty would trap many of those with either having to go along with it or exposing themselves by trying to continue the war

...Even if it's just "the Klingons have been bored with the peace in the galaxy, so they decided to pick a fight with the Federation using the excuse of Undine infiltration," ...

isnt that B'vat's plan?

for spoiler text use #1b1c1f
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited February 2014
    Seriously isn't it time we end the Fed/Kdf war?

it's pointless and pretty damn annoying to say the least.

it's gone nowhere, and so much more has happened.

for that matter why hasn't the timeline moved yet? can we jump to 2414 already?

so much more has arived since the begining of the war, Starfleet and the KDF both have more enemies than can be defeated alone, and with the Romulan Republic in play, the war could be ended while focusing on more pressing matters.

Thumbs up to this
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Seeing as ending the war would just open the gate for even less diversity of experience across factions in end game content, hell to the no.

Seriously, why do people think this would be a good idea? The fact that we already share every new release is stupid. Red and Blue should be getting unique content every release, not the same stuff with a different HUD.

I'm with you on this one, if not for anything else - then for the same reasons you stated here. Seriously people, diversity is a good thing. Making everything the same is bad.
    Besides, we have a pretty good KDF-Fed war going on here on the forums. :P The devs. only need to find a way to transfer that potential in-game and we'll have a riot and tons of fun.;)

And I can't stop laughing at people declaring being 'annoyed' by the war? LOL!! How the heck does the war 'annoy' you? There's no persistent PvP, no sandbox, no territory control.....you can pretty much ignore the war if you wanted to. So do tell, how could it possibly annoy you? And what do you expect to change and be different from now if it ends?
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It's not even a War, and calling it a War is dumb.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • ijimithyijimithy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Those darn tootin timeships broke the universe man, thats why time hasn't seemed to have moved on lol and I can actually see the feds going to the klingons and apologising since they got fooled "Again". Lets face it the Klingons might be warful and quite loud but they are right...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    No Drama, No Fuss, Just good old fashioned pew pew!
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    I'm with you on this one, if not for anything else - then for the same reasons you stated here. Seriously people, diversity is a good thing. Making everything the same is bad.
    Besides, we have a pretty good KDF-Fed war going on here on the forums. :P The devs. only need to find a way to transfer that potential in-game and we'll have a riot and tons of fun.;)

And I can't stop laughing at people declaring being 'annoyed' by the war? LOL!! How the heck does the war 'annoy' you? There's no persistent PvP, no sandbox, no territory control.....you can pretty much ignore the war if you wanted to. So do tell, how could it possibly annoy you? And what do you expect to change and be different from now if it ends?

There is no KDF-Fed war in the forums. :rolleyes:
    It is Feds begging for T5 Connies and worthy T5 Galaxies.
    Kling whining for more. . . anything.
    And rommies crying to be more than children fought over by separated parents.
    :P

(Emoticons for partial sarcasm)

Here is what I see as the issue from both directions and they are both meta.
    Ending the war shuts down PvP for anything except 'wargames'. Starbases no longer need to be attacked by the opposing factions. Heck they barely are needed at all.
    Intro play will be a mess unless all of it is either rewritten or the new episodes are clearly written as being years later than the intros for the players from any faction.
    Advantage is that it makes the future delta quadrant/dyson/iconian campaigns more cross faction friendly.

Reviving the war shuts down cooperative locations. No more new Romulus for Feds and Klingons. (Note how our reps tore into Kaol about the alliance gateways.) Unless new gateways appear in fed and KDF territory there is no access to the dyson sphere(s) as they will be embattled on and probably destroyed. Romulans will need to be a complete faction as the middle road effect won't work anymore.

From the development stand point I do not see it possible to do either without a major revamp of the whole game.

In game I can argue it in both directions. The Klingon empire keeps ending up on the short end of the technology stick while being sent to fight and die for these snobby fools. "Well I see there is a possible threat. But why get weapons? Can't we talk to them for a few decades first?"
    The Federation is tired of trying to give quality of life improvements to the Klingons only to be called to assault each and every new life form the psychotic misanthropes see. "Look there is a rabbit! To WAR!"

And reverse. Always on the short end of the technology stick. The Federation is better at it than the Klingons and the Klingons are better at fighting. Is it not better to have both sides do what they are good at for a mutual goal? Feds make the ships. The Klingons fight in them. And the strongest of Federation members join the warriors in honour as the weakest of the empire join the federation in supporting the glory? This works from the Federation stand point as well as they prefer to use science and could work with the romulans in reconnaissance to find new dangers and form plans to deal with them. They just need competent guards.

After all look at the effects in both sphere and between the stars. Drop a scientist and politicians on a gate and they setup a time table to turn it on for publicity. The warriors and engineers wanted more caution to know what would happen. And so the scientist gets compromised and things get ugly. Send civilian scientists to take control of an active installation that a known hostile force wants to use. The fleet should have been there before Tuvok. Not to rescue him.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • hornet6hornet6 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The war and the conflict should never end. I would like to see more "distress call" missions randomly popping up like the one where the Ferengi calls for help when the "Cardys" are attacking his dilithium station, For Feds, distress call "To any fedration ship, we are under attack by klingon vessels, send help" and for Klingons, distress call "Empire forces, The federation is encroaching on our space. They have attacked our outpost (when they were actually there for some benign survey not knowing it was klingon outpost). Come to glory in our defense"
    ANOTHER NERF !?!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kestrelliuskestrellius Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yes. Yes it is. And this is how they should end:

The Undine infiltrators J'mpok and his lackeys, most of whom are almost certainly infiltrators, are exposed. The Empire is nearly destroyed, along with their subjects among the Gorn, Orions, etc. They come crawling to the Federation and Romulan Republic for help. After careful consideration, the Federation decides not to shoot the dog in the head this once, and the tattered remains of the once-kind-of-great empire try to get a few shots in against the Iconians before their betters win the glorious victory.

Seriously, how does going to war against the Federation do anything at all but help the Undine? That's a terrible idea. The Klingons are just as riddled with infiltrators as the Federation, and said infiltrators were almost certainly responsible for the war. But what really needs to happen is for what is nearly the most boring and hackneyed faction in the game to just shoved into the gutter and forgotten about.

Don't misunderstand me -- I'm not all that much of a fan of the Federation either. In terms of culture, the Romulan Republic are the only ones I really like, Mary Sues or no.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited February 2014
    there are not enough interested klinkons to keep the ques running

On those grounds alone I say end the war
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Its a cold war now Arm race online :-D
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    *rant start*
    No its not just time to end the wars.

Since we are approaching the 4th anniversary I would say : 4 years ago it was JUST time to end it.

The war makes no sense in any remote way.

It was supposed to be the "Base" of pvp. But pvp in the game has exactly ZERO immersion.
    The only effect the war ever had was no team up between the factions, wich menans kdf players couldn't find teams.

Story wise:
    STO was supposed to PROGRESS the Star Trek story. And Klingon federation war is no progress its the opposite. This war was already done.
    Even the backlash in DS9 season 4 was not generally liked. Here it was just repeated.

And in STOs own story:
    WTF?
    Alliance to fight the Borg
    Alliance to fight the Both
    Alliance to fight the Breen
    Alliance to fight the Dominion
    Alliance to fight the Tal'shiar
    But at war with each other.

Yeah thats happening all the time isn't it?
    Don't your remember the part of world war 2, in real history, where the US were invading TRIBBLE germany while, on another front in the east, TRIBBLE and US troops where allied to fight the Russians?
    No? Because things like that do not happen....

*rant ends*