test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is a Solonae...

mt268mt268 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Ten Forward
Is it just me, because Solonae sounds like a sunburn cream to me...
Post edited by mt268 on

Comments

• Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think it might be named after the Solanogen-based lifeforms. But that's just a guess.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    voporak wrote: »
    I think it might be named after the Solanogen-based lifeforms. But that's just a guess.

Spot on guess - you see these guys in Sphere of Influence and the consoles tell you the facility and ship were built by the Solanae. It was ambiguous in the mission if the cilckers were the Solanae, but devs were quick to confirm it.

The optional information consoles in Sphere of Influence and Dyson reputation cutscenes fill you in fairly well. The high points:

They're servitors of the Iconians, separate from the Elachi but with at least some shared technology.
    They built both known Dyson spheres. It's not clear what the Jenolan sphere was built for - it has the Solanae sphere's Omega-powered jump ability and they're linked by a gateway, but it's never triggered the Omega Directive after many years of study. The Solanae sphere is definitely an immense Omega factory.
    Some kind of disaster in the Solanae sphere exposed them to massive amounts of plot device radiation and now they cannot survive outside of subspace.