test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is the klingon-federation war coming to end?

2»

Comments

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Another curious question regarding the Voth. They always refers to our factions as mammalia, yet they seems to ignore the existence of the Gorn on the KDF side and Saurian on the FED side. What's with that?

That's called Cryptic can't be bothered to implement dialog mutable based on story or player characteristics, a concept that's been around at least as far back as Escape Velocity (and I pick that game because it was the first game I know about that had it; it most certainly wasn't the first).

Vulcans have the same problem with that diplo mission on Vulcan, and Bajorans have the same problem whenever they visit Hathon, and non-Klingons KDF-side have the same problem with approximately every dialog ever.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Personally, I've always considered this a stupid war. "The Federation is riddled with Undine infiltrators and doesn't believe us when we tell them? Let's kill them!!!"

I know the Klingons tend to be kind of one trick ponies, but they're not stupid. Well, at least a few of them aren't. :P

If this had shades of power-mongering by whats-his-ridges, I could accept it more, but it doesn't.

The end of the war has my full support.

P.S. After seeing Shon yelling at everyone that the sphere "belongs to the Federation," I think it's time for a new captain of the Enterprise. Andorian or not, that's poor behavior for a commanding officer in any organization, and Starfleet in particular.
    starswordc wrote: »
    That's called Cryptic can't be bothered to implement dialog mutable based on story or player characteristics...
    It's there, but not everywhere it should be. I ran through "Boldly They Rode" today, and my verbal jabs with Eraun took on a distinctly vulcan tone for my vulcan character, while the saurian I was teamed with had more aggressive dialogue.
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I still think the Chancellor and Admiral Quinn are both Undine.

There are a few things that need to be tied up before the war ends. For one, we need to find out what happened to that Undine that was impostering as Ambassador Sokketh and escaped as a klingon commander.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    not so much coming to an end but maybe going off the boil to a low simmer.
    feds and klinks were never really at peace more just a pause in hostilities.

the klinks are too war loving and bloodthirsty to be at peace with any other faction or superpower for long.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• ijimithyijimithy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The War will never "end" really, Klingons are smart but still bloodthirsty and they only really stopped hostilities with the federation when there was a bigger threat to them ie Dominion, Voth now and in future maybe the "re introduced" enemy.

With the Federation they don't really want to fight the klingons so they just hide behind the banner of diplomacy while they probably work on that really big stick meanwhile the klingons will have the gun xD

Also it would be kinda cool if Quinn and the chancellor were Undine then both leaderships would be in peril when they got exposed :P lets just hope D'Tan isn't one too. Just imagine D'Tan taking over the Federation and Klingons since he'd be the only non Undine leader xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    No Drama, No Fuss, Just good old fashioned pew pew!
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    hrisvalar wrote: »
    I've been seeing Klingon players going on about the Federation owing the KDF some form of apology, for not taking them seriously enough on the matter of the Undine. For condemning their invasion of the Gorn homeworld though they were proven right on their leadership being Undine. A group of shapeshifters with as their main goal to sow chaos and disorder across the quadrant, wearing out all the major powers in wars against one another. And by launching into a war against the Federation, they still play right into the Undine's hand. Either cause Klingons are really, really, REALLY stupid, or are being deliberately riled up by some Undine spymaster who found a way to turn the Klingons knowing the truth about their infiltration to their advantage. Make it a matter of honor, vengeance if you will, before common sense and survival. If you stop to think it through for even just one second, it's a bad idea. Kind of wish the Romulans found out about them instead.

So let me ask you, how do you deal with suposed 'allies' that ignore your warnings and act like ignorant fools when you reveal the Undine threat to them?
    How do you deal with suposed 'allies' that not only ignore your warnings and refuse to act on them, but furthermore condemn you when you decide to act on them?
    How do you deal with hypocritical suposed 'allies' that send their fleet to protect RSE space and kill thoulsands of Klingon warriors, while they themselves organize strikes and raids agains that same RSE?

I'm not discussing wheather J'mpok is an Undine or not. I'm portraying it from a Klingon perspective - whatdo you do with someone that dishonors an alliance with you?
    And stop pretending the Feds. are the perfect goody-goody two shoes, in STO they're the complete opposite.
    Who played the Undine's hand to open a gateway to the Beta Quadrant for them? The Federation and their ignorance towards the Undine, Cooper was a Federation scientist that apaprently noone thought it'd be important to check before letting him go on a mission that can determine the future of the Sphere and the temporary alliance, because you know, the Undine infiltration is like, not real man.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There will be no peace till Bajor burns
    GwaoHAD.png
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hazzah! The War is over!

The high council orders you all cease and desist any and all marauding and privateering in the way of raiding Fed ships and taking their stuff. :(:eek::(
  • jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    let's not forget the iconians we still need to deal with them as well if they return :eek:
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think it would make more sense to transform the situation over your character's progression. AT first, the Klingons and Federation are at war. But over time, they find too many other enemies to worry about each other, forming temporary alliance, and when we get to the Borg STFs, the war is over.

What about PvP, you may ask? Who really cares, as long as there is no persistent PvP battle zone, it doesn't really matter one bit. We can just pretend that all the battles we play in PvP are either simualtions or battles fought during the original war.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • vhiranikosvhiranikos Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If the latest FE is an indication, nobody trusts or likes each other. Heck you can almost fight it out with the opposition before Tuvok steps in. That's not peace.
  • kestrelliuskestrellius Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm with hrisvalar here. The Klingons are being huge hypocrites. And I don't like Klingons anyway, so to be honest, I kind of hope their empire just kind of gets blown up like the Romulans, J'mpok turns out to be an Undine, and the tattered remains of their once-glorious faction try to get a few potshots in at the Iconians.

Which isn't to say the Feds are blameless either...to be honest, I'm not sure I like any of these factions...

But yeah the war needs to end. It was an act of pointless aggression by an obviously Undine-controlled empire under the guise of rooting out infiltrators. And if the Federation apologizes to the Klingons for not focusing entirely on the infiltrators in their own ranks and ignoring the fact that J'mpok is obviously an Undine, I think I'm going to be sick. The Klingons have no moral high ground here, and I hope they cease to be important entirely. Move over, Klingon Empire, the interesting factions have arrived. *cough* Romulans *cough*
  • eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Some players like the war and resulting PvP and want more not less nor "an end". Others see the story lines and trek lore as indicators to where things are supposed to go.

I think Cryptic will continue to sit on the fence and let these FE's go either way towards the war. I think the STO writers munch popcorn as we continue these debates. lol
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Don't forget the Sphere of Influence bit where the Iconianss' lackeys indicate that their plan for Klingons would be to position Klingons allied with them on the high council to manipulate the Klingons.

And we've since seen that many actions thought to be the Iconians were their servitors.

Remember how the Undine attacked us because they thought we attacked them through an Iconian gateway?

My guess is that "we" did.

I bet J'mpok (and maybe someone in the Federation working for the Iconians) used a gateway to access fluidic space and attacked the Undine to get them to attack us, then used the Undine infiltration as a fake excuse to start a war.

J'mpok agreed to rile up the Klingons to hunt Undine. His treasonous Federation co-conspirator agreed to block all efforts at ferreting out the Undine in order to push the Klingons into attacking the Federation.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm with hrisvalar here. The Klingons are being huge hypocrites. And I don't like Klingons anyway, so to be honest, I kind of hope their empire just kind of gets blown up like the Romulans, J'mpok turns out to be an Undine, and the tattered remains of their once-glorious faction try to get a few potshots in at the Iconians.

Which isn't to say the Feds are blameless either...to be honest, I'm not sure I like any of these factions...

But yeah the war needs to end. It was an act of pointless aggression by an obviously Undine-controlled empire under the guise of rooting out infiltrators. And if the Federation apologizes to the Klingons for not focusing entirely on the infiltrators in their own ranks and ignoring the fact that J'mpok is obviously an Undine, I think I'm going to be sick. The Klingons have no moral high ground here, and I hope they cease to be important entirely. Move over, Klingon Empire, the interesting factions have arrived. *cough* Romulans *cough*

LOL, news flash for you, the Romulans aren't going to be blowing anyone up. They can't even build enough houses for their homeless people. D'Tan resides in his new, shiny Palace, while the common, homeless Romulans are either in the military or living in a tent, if even that. Just think of that image... Emperor D'Tan sitting in his bright palace while the common "Republic" citizen has no roof over his/her head. The supplies and wealth received from the Klingons and Federation... and he builds a large palace for himself.

And without the support of the alliance, they will be going hungry and whatnot :cool:

Anyways, the Empire isn't controlled by the Undine. It ran into the problem of infiltration within its own ranks and took drastic steps to root it out. The Klingon Empire was the first to realize any degree of the danger presented by the Undine. They try to bring their Federation ally to see the problem, but all they got were a series of condemnations and obstacles thrown up by their "friends." So, in the Alpha Quadrant, it was really up to only the Klingons to take action against the major threat, because the Federation is sinking its head in a hole in the ground like an ostrich. The Empire went to war with the Gorn when it was discovered how heavily infiltrated they were, evidence given to the Federation to try to see light, but their "ally" just condemned them further.

The fact that Starfleet and the Federation doesn't bat an eye after one of their ADMIRALS was exposed as an Undine infiltrator should say something. The fact that Starfleet nor your captain doesn't even seem concerned that this "Admiral" sends you to Romulan space to murder doctors and scientists for something COMPLETELY UNRELATED, should say something. The fact that the Romulan scientists were completely dumbfounded as to why Starfleet was attacking a center with no major military or strategic value whatsoever, and pleading for their lives as you shoot them all, should say something. The fact that Starfleet and the Federation, nor you, do anything about the revelation of Undine imitating a Starfleet Admiral, should say something.

So who's the one that's really been taken over?
    XzRTofz.gif