test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can you help me get the best out of my Intrepid build?

underdose35underdose35 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Federation Discussion
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster here :)

The Intrepid is my absolute favourite ship, and I've been flying one for a long while now. I've finally hit upon a build that I both like and find effective. However, there's always room for improvement, so I'm now asking for some expert help! I mostly play PvE, but do occasionally dip into PvP too.

Here's my current build:

Current Intrepid link

DOFFS:
Damage Control Engineer x3
Energy Weapons Officer (Beam Overload variety)
Energy Weapons Officer (Beam Overload variety)

Power levels:
Weapons: 92/70
Shields: 71/50
Engines: 66/35
Auxiliary: 85/45

With both EPtX running, weapons goes to 120 and engines goes to 86, leech makes them all higher.

I should note that I use phasers purely for lore-friendly reasons.
With this build, I finally broke through my personal barrier of 5kDPS, and can hit 6-7k. What I'm looking for is a way to squeeze out the absolute best I can out of this build, be it by equipment/BOFF skills/skill tree, whatever.

Here's a build I'm working towards, using fleet engines and the Dyson deflector instead:

Future Intrepid link

Although the deflector and engines look better suited to me, is it worth losing the borg 2-piece set bonus?

Thanks for reading, and any insights you can provide would be much appreciated! :D
Post edited by underdose35 on

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2014
    You've given me a lot to think about, thank you!

I wasn't sure about the zero point, it was a leftover from ran I ran a plasma build and couldn't think what to replace it with.

TBR doff sounds great, I'll just have to see if I can afford it!

I do like the spike damage from BO, but you're right, it does drain a lot of weapons power... maybe I'll just use that in PvP or something, and give FAW a go.

Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated! :D
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    A science ship is best when using exotic abilities to damage, not weapons power. I'd suggest going full aux, slot more particle generators and other items that improve particles and crush them with GW3 and TR2 (a deflector DOFF will lower the cooldown of the other def ability). Additionally, get the gravimetric photon torpedo from the dyson rep, it's buffed by particle gens as well (and it's halfway canon still :D) and use tractor beam repulsors to further sport exotic damage. I'm no pro, but that's my take on science vessels and I hurt things pretty much in my Nebula :)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    As edalgo said, my aux power is usually pretty high already. With 2xEPtX, leech and ES, I often see everything at about 100+, but it might be worth experimenting to see if I can get aux to 130 consistently.
    I briefly tried out the gravimetric torpedo (which is very nice that it's photon :D), but I found it to be far inferior to the omega. However, that could have something to do with the fact that my omega torpedo launcher is bugged and never has to reload...
    angrytarg wrote:
    ...crush them with GW3 and TR2 (a deflector DOFF will lower the cooldown of the other def ability)

Now this is big news to me! I'd wanted to stack GW and TR right when I first got to level 50 and got the intrepid, but when I found they shared a cool down I abandoned it. So will this doff lower the cool down of a second deflector ability, allowing it to be fired almost immediately after a first? That sounds like a lot of fun!

I might consider another energy type in the future (in fact anti-proton would probably be my first choice since it still very vaguely resembles phaser, ish), but for the moment I'm set in my 'Federation ships must use phasers!' mode :D

Once again, thanks for all the input guys :)