test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Suggestion for a way to dismiss Tovan Khev if we wish

rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Romulan Discussion
So, the devs say we can't get rid of Tovan Khev because he's so integrated into the early Romulan storyline. I get how that would be a problem. Anyway, an idea has recently struck me. What if there was like an optional mission or a doff project or something that only becomes available after COMPLETION of all the Romulan missions. Not skippage, just completion. The input for the mission/project would be the Tovan Khev entity, and he'd then be removed from our rosters. There would have to be a notification that we would no longer be able to do the early Romulan missions without reclaiming him somehow, but it could still be the solution we're seeking. Those that want him can keep him, those that don't could then get rid of him, and if we wanted to to play the early missions again we'd have to reclaim him. Does this make any kind of sense? Would this be possible? Acceptable for those of us who don't want to keep him?
bridges.jpg
Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If you count to level 30 as early.
    He is around leading the way for Charva, the missions in the Tal Shiar, and so heavy on Nimbus I have had him popup visually as well as vocals on a Klingon ship.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Eight months after LOR, you really think anything has changed?

Give it up, you will never dismiss him.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    His romulan operative trait should be upgraded to the superior version. That change alone would probably silence a lot of the complaining regarding Tovan being a permanent member of your crew, and wouldn't break any storylines.
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    variant37 wrote: »
    His romulan operative trait should be upgraded to the superior version. That change alone would probably silence a lot of the complaining regarding Tovan being a permanent member of your crew, and wouldn't break any storylines.

It would be nice to have a way to upgrade all the early Boffs. That said I don't think it would make the anti-Tovan people happy.
  • Options
    galr25galr25 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Just make him an unused Boff , not in landing party or ship officer slots, shuts up most of his antics.
  • Options
    borgus1122borgus1122 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Tovan Khev and other "first officers" are quite good. But the problem is, when everybody has one of them - with the same name. So for me it would be fine if I could just rename them (speakinf for Tovan Khev and other faction first officers). But, sadly, they can't be renamed.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Eight months after LOR, you really think anything has changed?

Give it up, you will never dismiss him.
    On the contrary. A great deal of things get changed because people never give up on them. This is important for some of us, so we have no justification for giving up.
  • Options
    sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Stand up, and stand tall. We have nothing to lose after all.

And that is the problem. ;)

---
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    rtk142 wrote: »
    So, the devs say we can't get rid of Tovan Khev because he's so integrated into the early Romulan storyline. I get how that would be a problem. Anyway, an idea has recently struck me. What if there was like an optional mission or a doff project or something that only becomes available after COMPLETION of all the Romulan missions. Not skippage, just completion. The input for the mission/project would be the Tovan Khev entity, and he'd then be removed from our rosters. There would have to be a notification that we would no longer be able to do the early Romulan missions without reclaiming him somehow, but it could still be the solution we're seeking. Those that want him can keep him, those that don't could then get rid of him, and if we wanted to to play the early missions again we'd have to reclaim him. Does this make any kind of sense? Would this be possible? Acceptable for those of us who don't want to keep him?

That has been suggested before.

Problem is, that would "Lock out" your character from any Mission replay.
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I don't know anything about what goes on behind the scenes in this game engine, but it seems like the easiest thing to do would be to change the story segments featuring Tovan to not require the actual Tovan BOFF be present. His dialogue and appearance in cutscenes could be treated like that of any NPC.

I know this isn't the way it's done now, since I replayed some early missions with a party and a female PC replaced him in a cutscene. Talk about immersion breaking :P

I can see why they used the BOFF, so that any changes you made to him would show in the scenes, but is that really worth every single Romulan in the galaxy running around with a clone of this guy in tow? I mean, it's just silly. That's something that works in a single player game, not an MMO.
  • Options
    gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Another solution would be to "degrade" him in terms of importance, and to give you one more BOFF slot. This means you won't see Khev on your bridge anymore for instance.
  • Options
    tmichctmichc Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    To be honest, I would keep Tovan if he was upgraded or upgradeable to an SRO, otherwise he's taking up a valuable BOff slot that I need for someone more useful.

And if dismissing Tovan meant I was locked out of replaying the Rommie exclusive episodes, I could live with that.

Tim

Edit: Dragonsbrethren, do you play SWTOR at all?
  • Options
    priestofsin420priestofsin420 Member Posts: 419
    edited February 2014
    He just needs his Romulan Operative trait upgraded to Superior upon completion of the Romulan campaign. This would make him worthwhile, since it's one less boff that you've got to get that trait on.
    Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
    Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
    Patiently waiting for a Romulan Science Vessel
  • Options
    diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    That has been suggested before.

Problem is, that would "Lock out" your character from any Mission replay.

I would happily take that hit to be rid of him.

I also like the idea that in place of the specific 'Tovan' dialogue screens, those screens are issued to whoever our active Tactical Officer is. Mute the Tovan whiny VO and we're good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    tmichc wrote: »
    Edit: Dragonsbrethren, do you play SWTOR at all?

No, I haven't. I considered checking it out when it went F2P, but never got around to it. Similar issues?
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    All of his dialog could have been included for his supposedly critical role in the Romulan missions without forcing him on the players as a bridge officer, just as in many mission arcs in this game where a character repeatedly appears; Francis Drake, Worf's son, etc. I think his being story critical is just being used as an excuse for their not wanting to bother fixing things so he can still be in the mission stories even if not part of the crew.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    rtk142 wrote: »
    So, the devs say we can't get rid of Tovan Khev because he's so integrated into the early Romulan storyline. I get how that would be a problem.
    That's basically an excuse, since it's not actually true. We know this because the game tends to completely forget you have boffs at all, removing all your boffs from their seats, assigning nothing to your away team, and a random stunt double in for Tovan when you do the mission in such a state.

Strangely, the game doesn't explode in a fireball of flames, proving that this statement is a lie.

The truth is that they simply don't want to be bothered.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jmaster29jmaster29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    No, I haven't. I considered checking it out when it went F2P, but never got around to it. Similar issues?

Yep, you have 6 "companions" who are all clones basically, but then again they have comp romance and they have convos with you.
    P.S. SWTOR is pretty P2W, you really need to sub for everything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I just thought of a better way to get rid of him. (better in that the devs are more likely to do it)

New to the C-Store:
    Tovan Khen dismissal token. Us this token to dismiss Tovan Khev from your active duty roster of BOffs.

Honestly, I don't know why he HAS to be there to do the missions, give me the pop ups of him talking. Assuming I even read them the second (third, fourth, whatever) time, I can just pretend he's on my ship or down there with me but hiding in the shadows whenever combat occurs.

Also new to the C-store:
    Toven Khev uniform options unlock (allows access to his unique uniform parts, you and BOffs)

Also one for all of the other starting BOffs. I HATE that they have unique uniform parts that I can't use on my captain or on one of my other BOffs.
  • Options
    aedyrvelsarynaedyrvelsaryn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Just putting in my opinion that he absolutely needs to be dismissable. Tovan as a story element should be entirely decoupled from Tovan the BOFF. I don't even really care that his VO is bad or that he's not customizable. I care that he's not my creation and thus not part of my STO story.

The game is ostensibly about living your own Star Trek adventure and forcing you to have a particular officer on your crew makes it no longer "your own."
  • Options
    janetza#4790 janetza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Nice to see that it wasn't forgotten.
    He is not overtaking ship stations anymore, but still he is in every popup. He wastes a slot, he annoying, I hate him and he has to go as he brakes all the romulan experience. (For me especially, as I am being a part of the Star Empire.)

In-game handle @Janetza
  • Options
    no09dysonsphereno09dysonsphere Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The game is ostensibly about living your own Star Trek adventure and forcing you to have a particular officer on your crew makes it no longer "your own."

Couldn't have said it better myself. Hopefully when the Romulan episodes are revamped like the Fed ones were recently Tovan will become dismissable.
  • Options
    ijimithyijimithy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    They could have him go off and live with his sister after she is found I mean they go seperated you'd figure they'd have a lot to talk about and such. He could then whine at the epoohs on New Romulus then lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    No Drama, No Fuss, Just good old fashioned pew pew!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    ijimithy wrote: »
    They could have him go off and live with his sister after she is found I mean they go seperated you'd figure they'd have a lot to talk about and such. He could then whine at the epoohs on New Romulus then lol

Story wise I'd personally rather see his sister join my crew. After all that search she should be at least a Duty Officer IMO.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited February 2014
    Story wise I'd personally rather see his sister join my crew. After all that search she should be at least a Duty Officer IMO.

Even better a DOFF who's power is both ground and space accessible and when you activate her it prevents tovan from saying a godsdamned thing on any dialogue window
  • Options
    astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ijimithy wrote: »

Despite everyone's personal opinion, the fact remains that the Romulan Republic storyline focuses on Tovan khev's arc so much, it gets to the point where You the player feel like a afterthought. It ignores the player too much.

the Klingon and Federation missions don't make this mistake. The boffs you get at the beginning have a story, and contribute a good deal, but they don't overshadow the players character.
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    astro2244 wrote: »
    Despite everyone's personal opinion, the fact remains that the Romulan Republic storyline focuses on Tovan khev's arc so much, it gets to the point where You the player feel like a afterthought. It ignores the player too much.

the Klingon and Federation missions don't make this mistake. The boffs you get at the beginning have a story, and contribute a good deal, but they don't overshadow the players character.

I must say I did not have that impression. But thats a very subjective thing....
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    astro2244 wrote: »

Optionally asking about his sister like 4 times, and finding her once, in 40 missions, overwhelms the players story more than the whole Alexander/Worf arc does on the KDF side?

Really?