test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"No Major New Features for the Foundry in the Coming Months"

kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
In the new massively interview, our new EP states:
At this time, Foundry improvements are being tracked as part of the "fix and improve" strategy. We have a list of highly requested changes and are working to get some of them into each update. I don't foresee any major new features for Foundry in the coming months, however.

Discuss.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by kirksplat on

Comments

• Options
    primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2014
    So when branflakes mentioned in the Roundtable that there was an interview coming with big news for the foundry, i sure hope this is not what he meant.... or there will be some very angry foundry authors...

Me being one of them

:mad::mad::mad::mad:
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Now 1/3 of the objects got ther textures back instead of 1/4 == Big News :cool::P
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited January 2014
    What we were told previously by Geko is that a "dozen or so" features (ports from NW) were in the works for implementation some time around Season 9. I see nothing to invalidate this statement yet.

In fairness, the key word in that statement is "yet"

They have a new EP, if he chooses to change direction, that's his prerogative.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Brandon: "Big news coming for the foundry!" "The big news is there is no news!"

*One day later*

*A riot is seen in front of Cryptic studios*
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    What we were told previously by Geko is that a "dozen or so" features (ports from NW) were in the works for implementation some time around Season 9.

IIRC, Stahl told us the same thing would happen before or during season 8. That turned out well.

Remember, they were just waiting for NW to launch before STO programmers would be dealing with the Foundry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Read the rest of the post.

As as I've said previously. I find no value in trying to predict anything in this game. Dev blogs, interviews, etc etc are fine and dandy but don't look on anything as a guarantee until you see it in the patch notes (and sometimes not even then).
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The answer is incredibly vague.

For instance do ported NW features count as "major new feature" or an "improvement?" I mean it's not like any of these things are new to Cryptic. It's tech Cryptic has already development.

But even setting that a side, I'm not sure that a fix and improve strategy is a bad thing. It's no secret that there have been a growing list of increasingly troublesome bugs in the Foundry. New features are all well and good, but it's better if these are added on top of a stable base. We, as a community do complain about the bugs a lot.

What do you guys think? What's more important to you, new features or bug fixes?
  • Options
    edited January 2014

For instance do ported NW features count as "major new feature" or an "improvement?" I mean it's not like any of these things are new to Cryptic. It's tech Cryptic has already development.

But even setting that a side, I'm not sure that a fix and improve strategy is a bad thing. It's no secret that there have been a growing list of increasingly troublesome bugs in the Foundry. New features are all well and good, but it's better if these are added on top of a stable base. We, as a community do complain about the bugs a lot.

What do you guys think? What's more important to you, new features or bug fixes?

bug fixes, IMO. Most of the new features that we've gotten after the departure of the Foundry team have not exactly improved the situation. Patrols are buggy, for example. Pathing has gotten worse in some cases. Nobody seems happy with the new and improved ratings and listing system. I would be very skeptical of ported new features, based on testing those features in NW. The nudger was a bug-filled mess of a tool.

Still, I can't imagine that a dozen or so new things ported from NW do not count as major new features.

Maybe he is simply making a distinction between teams. No new tech from STO's side, but maybe imported a different team's tech is put into a different mental category.

Something here is weird though. How can an EP make a statement like this after BF told you guys that big news is coming? We'll have to wait for the Geko interview. I hope that Geko knows that he's supposed to talk about the Foundry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Like Drogyn, I'm going to use my standard wait and see approach. Anxiety is futile.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2014
    Geko is scheduled to sit down with a Foundry Podcast this weekend to chat about plans for the Foundry in terms of features, etc. -- he should have the most up-to-date info.

As an aside, "coming months" in development terms typically means the next 2-3 months. As you all know, development of features, even the porting of existing features, takes time and would be beyond the scope of "the coming months". Wait to hear what Geko has to say before you get too worried.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    maninblack017maninblack017 Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Personally, I'd say bug fixes.

I know I'm only working on my third mission which I assume still makes me relatively green in the aspects of the Foundry, but when I look at the menus of possible assets, my mind goes crazy with figuring out all the various ways I can use things. There's a lot of costumes (NPC and ships), lots of props, and lots of different environments to use. I am constantly just thinking about different ways to do things (part of the reason my third mission is taking so long because I feel like I'm seeing a lot more Foundry potential than I did in the first two).

New features could be fun. Emphasis on the could. There's a lot available now. And I operate under the assumption that new features would be unveiled and immediately bugged and we would all complain for another year until they're finally functioning properly.

That's my point of view. But as I said, I would hardly call myself a Foundry veteran yet. Some of you have been doing this a lot longer than me and continue to impress me with things I hadn't even imagined. I guess like everything in life, it's a matter of perspective.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "The time has come to see the world as it is." - Captain James T. Kirk
    Twitter - @SDVargo
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    One thing that would drastically help the foundry is porting in a way to build sort of like how minecraft works. Building while you are in the map view instead of going back and forth. As well as being able to make specific things like if you wanted to make one specific NPC as part of a story that you fight instead of having to make an entire group.

As well for example for KDF foundry missions you can't make a real renegade Klingon type npcs, gorn rebellion, etc. Would be nice if it gave those options.
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    removed by the Hippie for being too snarky.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Let's turn this around a little in terms of "what development does the Foundry need?"

Here's the question: What specific thing is missing from the Foundry that is preventing you from making a specific mission?

I'll give you an example. A while back I had the idea to make a mission set in the historical time of Kahless. I haven't done any further development on the mission because we do not have the ability of making Klingon mobs fight with Bat'leth's or other melee weapons only, and it would be no fun to make that mission without that ability. Ergo, one thing I think the Foundry needs in terms of development is more control over NPCs, such as allegiance, weapons, powers, choosing exactly what types of mobs spawn in a group, etc.
  • Options
    gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As long as we get new maps, costumes, and effects...
    Features can wait a few months.

But since I joined STO, there has literally been nothing new to the Foundry except for Voth mobs.

My personal priority in terms of costumes and maps:

Virinat, Yesterday's Enterprise uniform, Winter coats, Risian Summer outfits.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Geko is scheduled to sit down with a Foundry Podcast this weekend to chat about plans for the Foundry in terms of features, etc. -- he should have the most up-to-date info.

As an aside, "coming months" in development terms typically means the next 2-3 months. As you all know, development of features, even the porting of existing features, takes time and would be beyond the scope of "the coming months". Wait to hear what Geko has to say before you get too worried.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Except for the fact that we've apparently been in the planning stage for well over a year, it's nice to know that there are actually plans in place, after a year of dev talk about plans in place that would make season 7, no wait 8, no wait 9... the season of a Foundry update.

Here's my toast to plans. Sorry if the wine is rotten. I'm on dev time these days.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Except for the fact that we've apparently been in the planning stage for well over a year, it's nice to know that there are actually plans in place, after a year of dev talk about plans in place that would make season 7, no wait 8, no wait 9... the season of a Foundry update.

Here's my toast to plans. Sorry if the wine is rotten. I'm on dev time these days.
    Well... "new" features ported form NW would likely be the largest foundry update since season 4....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Well... "new" features ported form NW would likely be the largest foundry update since season 4....

I think you mean season 3, unless wrecking our mission counts as the largest foundry update.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    gurluas wrote: »
    As long as we get new maps, costumes, and effects...
    Features can wait a few months.

But since I joined STO, there has literally been nothing new to the Foundry except for Voth mobs.

My personal priority in terms of costumes and maps:

Virinat, Yesterday's Enterprise uniform, Winter coats, Risian Summer outfits.

The only new features I really want right now are (1) a Next button in the search results and (2) a Romulan designation option for missions. (I've long been an advocate of NW-style campaign support, but that can wait for now.)

As for assets, I've been screaming for new LoR stuff for months now, especially the New Romulus space, ground and Command Center interior maps, so I can complete my Valley of the Shadow Republic trilogy as intended. (For now I've been forced to make my own bad facsimile of the space map, and use a substitute setting for a scene I intended to put in the Command Center.)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    (1) a Next button in the search results

This is the number 1 request for me as well. I don't particularly care about ported features if nobody can find my missions without a custom search.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Brandon: "Big news coming for the foundry!" "The big news is there is no news!"

*One day later*

*A riot is seen in front of Cryptic studios*

We're not really big enough to constitute a riot. It would be more like a "small demonstration". ;)
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    nagorak wrote: »
    We're not really big enough to constitute a riot. It would be more like a "small demonstration". ;)

"Would you believe it, there will be riots in front of the studio, massive riots?"

"I find that hard to believe."

"Oh, would you be believe a small demonstration?"

"No."

"How about two guys and a french poodle?"

;)
  • Options
    kalanikalani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Does Geko even have anything to do with features in the foundry?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I will admit, at this point it did come across like this to me:

"Big news for the foundry soon!" "The big news is there is no news! Yay!" -_-

BUT, Brandon's words have put me at ease for now.
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Let's turn this around a little in terms of "what development does the Foundry need?"

Here's the question: What specific thing is missing from the Foundry that is preventing you from making a specific mission?

I'll give you an example. A while back I had the idea to make a mission set in the historical time of Kahless. I haven't done any further development on the mission because we do not have the ability of making Klingon mobs fight with Bat'leth's or other melee weapons only, and it would be no fun to make that mission without that ability. Ergo, one thing I think the Foundry needs in terms of development is more control over NPCs, such as allegiance, weapons, powers, choosing exactly what types of mobs spawn in a group, etc.

I would like that. I wanted to do a similar mission except on ancient Vulcan just before the time of awakening/ sundering.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I will admit, at this point it did come across like this to me:

"Big news for the foundry soon!" "The big news is there is no news! Yay!" -_-

BUT, Brandon's words have put me at ease for now.

This! :) 10chars/
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Another thing which I'd also like to see and would solve all custome issues on the ground at least...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p7hyAxa35s

Make this developer tailor available to Foundry costume creation. (Of course...Remove the lore characters such as Worf)

So we can mix-match every piece of clothing available in the game.
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    gurluas wrote: »
    Another thing which I'd also like to see and would solve all custome issues on the ground at least...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p7hyAxa35s

Make this developer tailor available to Foundry costume creation. (Of course...Remove the lore characters such as Worf)

So we can mix-match every piece of clothing available in the game.

not just that, on redshirt i think there are costumes ( such as a ENT MACO variant i saw before ) that have never been released yet, I'd love that being unlocked for authors as a nice gesture of faith
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think bug fixes are probably more urgent than new features in the Foundry in the short term. (Using BranFlakes's helpful definition of short term.)

But more important than either would be a few simple changes about the Foundry, to make Foundry missions more visible. A "next" button, as Kirksplat says, a better search system, and for the pop-up when you pass a star system to include Foundry missions that start from that point. It wouldn't take much. Neither bug fixes nor new features will help if nobody SEES the missions, and there's already enough good, working stuff there to repay a far more central role than it has now.

Have the devs seen this thread and this thread yet? Members of the community have come up with some detailed plans for how all this could be done, and there are a lot of players who'd like to know at least that they've been read.

Answers to Drogyn1701's question, just for reference:

The one missing feature that's actually important for the mission I'm working on
    - a few generalised ship interior maps that would turn into the appropriate interior to match the player's ship. So a bridge map for which players flying Nebulas would see a Nebula bridge, those with Defiants would see a Defiant bridge, etc. and the same for an engine room and a general-purpose corridors and cabins map. I can JUST about do it without that, but it's going to need major suspension of disbelief, especially for Fed Romulan captains.

One that's not essential but would add a lot
    - choices on one map being able to affect what happens on another. For instance, in one scene during this mission, the player captain has to decide on an emergency plan to be followed in case anything happens to them. This works, but would be much better if your choice actually affected what you find when you make it back to the ship.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    We need CaptainHunter1's model implemented.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png