What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

TRIBBLE Maintenance and Release Notes - January 22, 2014

13»

Comments

• commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jaturnley wrote: »
    I am unclear how promoting getting multiple sets of gear is in any way a benefit to the player. For ground gear, it's beneficial because you can equip them on your BOFFs, but for space gear, where you only can use one ship at a time, what does multiple copies of a set do for you beyond eat up valuable inventory space? What am I missing? Or am I not understanding what you mean?

Obtaining multiple sets of gear benefits their ideas of the grindy game. Not necessarily the player. There THEY missed an opportunity to leverage their OWN vision of how the game should be played.
    As far as benefits, once the "dump into inventory" issue is addressed, it saves you having to run all the way back to DS9/ESD/etc to swap loadouts. For solo players that's not a huge deal, but for people who play in groups, being able to spec out for a particular mission on the fly in sector space will be a big benefit.

Where has it been said it will be addressed? By addressed does it mean the items will stay with the loadout? If so, then yes this system becomes immensely useful. If not, you are still hauling your items around in your inventory like you are now and only have an automated "load" items ability. This is regardless of whether you are a solo player or a group player, a PvPer or a PvEer so I am not sure why you make the distinction.
    As for programming in a vacuum, this is not coming from nowhere - this feature has been asked for by lots of people since launch, and will be of great utility to a lot of players who don't want to waste time flying/running around or dinking with dragging items between ships when they could just be playing. As long as the BOFF slots and UI mappings get working as well, there's no downside here - it saves time, and that's the one resource you can never have enough of.

The programming in a vacuum is in reference to how it has been designed with some big flaws that impact the player even more than if the system is not there. What most players HAVE asked for is to have expertise swapping for PvP and PvE, expertise loadouts. I am regularly rooting around in the forums and have not seen players asking for a ship by ship system. Indeed they may have, but I am sure it did not involve filling up your inventory.

Now, rather than running around, call the trade freighter...oh wait that has a 30 min cooldown that does not tick down when you are offline... Why we have to fly to specific places to access our banks is pretty archaic for MMOs nowadays. Heck, even in STO we have ships now that will let us do it from the bridge. Now you can swap to that ship, port to your bridge and load and unload, swamp back. The ship swapping is the better of the deal.
  • ukcaptain420ukcaptain420 Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    [edit] mispost.
    SCM - Infected(S) - DMG Out: 11,776,567 DPS: 114,224.70 (28.7% of Team) - Pinky@ukcaptain420
    I reserve the right to have a completely different standpoint depending on my mood.
  • ikuruyoikuruyo Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Oh, Overflow bag loses stuff too, believe me. May not have been on warp-out per se, but Overflow bag isn't an unlimited storage device. Perhaps it were better to have said it gets 'truncated' or something (on purpose or not, who knows).

And what happens if your stuff is actually in the Overflow bag, and needs to be used for another loadout?!

"[*]Loadouts pull your saved equipment from your inventory, other ships, or bank"

Where is it taken from? Not from Overflow bag too, it would seem. With yet more stuff winding up in your Overflow bag (which you seem to believe to have an unending capacity).

Losing stuff or no, this remains a very messy implementation.

EvE Online, btw, puts everything into your inventory too, but said inventory truly *is* unlimited (for all purposes and intent, at least; I'm sure there's a hard database limit behind it somewhere, but one you'll never hit).

Dumping into a limited storage device (like your inventory) remains a tricky proposition, especially when you plan to draw stuff from other ships too. That Overflow bag will be tilted to no end... or rather, to when it reaches its end, and stuff starts getting lost. When it does, consider this your preemptive "I told you so." post.

I had one captain I was using during the last Crystalline event, inv was full and I just deleted one item each day to make space for the drop to get the marks. At the end of the event run I had probably 70+ items in the Overflow bag. It was many of the screens long and filled my inventory several times as I emptied it when I finally got around to taking that character to a vendor that offered 50% value. I would open it from time to time and saw the exact same items in the list with more added onto the bottom.

I would not have tried that with gear I actually cared about though, this was all vendor trash, and I seem to remember having stuff vanish from it only to reappear later as well.

In any case I can't see the loadouts being able to load from the overflow so its likely to break that regardless of anything else.

Dumping everything into our inventory will result in my NEVER using this system.
  • lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited January 2014
    [*]Some KDF captains cannot switch to all of their costume slots.

I really would like to be able to use my payed for costume again...
    Just saying.
  • tweihtweih Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Beam fire at will still does not crit like it use too before the mess up
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I really do not like the idea of this system putting things into inventory space. Inventory space, even when maxed, is not somewhere we want to have valuable items stored as the potential to accidently sell them is simply too high.

As some one who flies multiple ships in multiple configurations with the same character, load out swapping has been a long held dream. But I think we need to take into account the 4th inventory space.

Right now we have our character inventory, our bank, our shared bank, and our equipment bank. Don't know what the equipment bank is? its all those slots on ships sitting in your hanger that your not flying at the moment.

This is the order of preference when it comes to where we want to store our ship equipment,

1)ship equipment bank.
    2)bank.
    3)shared bank.
    4)character inventory.

Why do we want things stored on ships rather then in our bank or character inventory? We only need to access these items when we are changing ships, So storing them where we can access our ships is convenient, and storing them on ships ensures there is no chance of loosing them.

If I were programing this new system I would take the 'slots' on all the ships in a characters hanger and group them together as a genuine ship inventory space. Then Instead of moving the equipment between ships, I would just have loadouts link to it.

By this method the load out system would avoid disorganizing our inventories, and would not actually require that we have access to any more storage space then we already have access too. Lets face it, slots on non-active ships really are just more inventory space already.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ikuruyo wrote: »
    I had one captain I was using during the last Crystalline event, inv was full and I just deleted one item each day to make space for the drop to get the marks. At the end of the event run I had probably 70+ items in the Overflow bag. It was many of the screens long and filled my inventory several times as I emptied it when I finally got around to taking that character to a vendor that offered 50% value. I would open it from time to time and saw the exact same items in the list with more added onto the bottom.

Well, that is at least good news. Seems then only the names list gets truncated, and the items themselves remain.
    In any case I can't see the loadouts being able to load from the overflow so its likely to break that regardless of anything else.

Indeed. And there's also the snowball effect. With more and more items winding up in your Overflow bag on unload, thus falling out of scope, as it were, more and more gear will be drawn from other ships, also befalling the same fate on unload: winding up in your Overflow bag. Until there's no source left to draw from.

And then? Then you have to manually go clear out your Overflow bag... but your inventory was already full (or stuff wouldn't wind up in your Overflow bag). So, maybe delete an Engine battery or some such, and individually retrieve all items, go to the Shipyard, and putting them back on your assorted ships, one by one.

Yeah, no.
    Dumping everything into our inventory will result in my NEVER using this system.

Sadly, I've come to the same conclusion
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    We need a delete loadout option. Non C-store ships cannot be dismissed willy nilly or at all really as either it'll cost a bomb to get another or you literally cannot get it anymore. Simply give us the option to delete the loadout and slot from a ship and return it to our loadout 'pool' of slots.

To those talking about storing equipment IN the loadout, it's just the wrong way to solve the problem.
    Sure it may promote grinding more rep gear but what about lockbox and lobi consoles/gear? They're rare and expensive to buy. You might only own one of some type of console. If everything is stored IN the loadout slot, how do you save that one unique item across multiple loadouts?
    Then there'd be the extra database size needed to cope with such a thing. Not good.

This man has the answer:
    As some one who flies multiple ships in multiple configurations with the same character, load out swapping has been a long held dream. But I think we need to take into account the 4th inventory space.

... equipment bank. Don't know what the equipment bank is? its all those slots on ships sitting in your hanger that your not flying at the moment.

This is the order of preference when it comes to where we want to store our ship equipment,

1)ship equipment bank.
    2)bank.
    3)shared bank.
    4)character inventory.
    You beat me to suggesting this :)
    Definitely do this.
    I disagree about 'shared bank' (account wide bank), that shouldn't be an option as bound gear cannot go there.

Once loadouts are in the game, it literally wont matter what randomly gets put on your other inactive ships, you just load a setup and it's all fine again.

Currently equipped gear should either:
    GO INTO OTHER INACTIVE SHIP GEAR SLOTS

OR

SWITCH PLACES WITH THE ITEM BEING EQUIPPED

Either will solve the inventory problem nicely

also
    Along with other ships, inventory and bank, can we PLEASE have quick equip be able to pull from the C-store? So we can grab C-store ship special consoles without having to commission/decommission them?
    This can free up more space as we can get rid of items we're not using but still keep all ship slots full.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited January 2014
    After some testing, equipment being dropped in the inventory is not as much of an issue as I thought. Mostly you have the things you want to equip with you, so I say give it a try, it's not as bad as it seems.
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Obtaining multiple sets of gear benefits their ideas of the grindy game. Not necessarily the player. There THEY missed an opportunity to leverage their OWN vision of how the game should be played.

Then why exactly are you insisting that it has to be fixed before this goes live? Obviously it wasn't a priority for them, perhaps you are confusing their "vision" of how we should be playing for how you play - nobody I play with bothers to get multiple sets of space gear, they just get one and move it to whatever ship they are using when they want to use it. To do otherwise is a waste of time, and, more importantly, precious inventory slots.
    Where has it been said it will be addressed? By addressed does it mean the items will stay with the loadout? If so, then yes this system becomes immensely useful. If not, you are still hauling your items around in your inventory like you are now and only have an automated "load" items ability. This is regardless of whether you are a solo player or a group player, a PvPer or a PvEer so I am not sure why you make the distinction.

And where is your assumption that they will NOT listen to the feedback being overwhelmingly stated in this thread coming from? You are simply fear mongering (DOOOOOOM!); there has been no mention either way, because it's been two days. Believe it or not, Cryptic is interested in making sure that the game is playable in the way we want to play it, not purposefully going around to TRIBBLE players off. They didn't spend hundreds of man-hours developing a system that has been frequently requested for 4 years so that nobody will use it.
    The programming in a vacuum is in reference to how it has been designed with some big flaws that impact the player even more than if the system is not there. What most players HAVE asked for is to have expertise swapping for PvP and PvE, expertise loadouts. I am regularly rooting around in the forums and have not seen players asking for a ship by ship system. Indeed they may have, but I am sure it did not involve filling up your inventory.

See above. You are basing all of this on the assumption that this is how the system is going to go live. We are here in this thread to tell the devs what we feel is not working in the current build. To constantly prophesize doom in the test forums is not helpful and in fact is harmful to the game. Give good feedback, with good reasons, and leave it at that - there's no need to go around spouting all this anti-Cryptic rhetoric.
    Now, rather than running around, call the trade freighter...oh wait that has a 30 min cooldown that does not tick down when you are offline... Why we have to fly to specific places to access our banks is pretty archaic for MMOs nowadays. Heck, even in STO we have ships now that will let us do it from the bridge. Now you can swap to that ship, port to your bridge and load and unload, swamp back. The ship swapping is the better of the deal.

I will admit I have not been as active in multiple MMOs as of the last year or so, but I can't think of a single one that I do play where you don't have to go to a location to access your bank storage. If you can access it anywhere, it's not bank storage, it's inventory. STO is actually pretty generous in this regard, allowing you to get the trade freighter item for free, letting you use other people's trade freighters (the 30 minute timer isn't bad when you are in a group and can stagger usage), and letting you get to the account back from any bridge.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The only thing I will say on the new ship loadout system, is that it is inefficient if you have ships with different gear.
    Dumping the current gear into inventory when choosing a new loadout, needs to change. What it should do is move the gear currently on a ship to another you own.
    Like a lot of people, I have multiple different sets on my other ships, not even mentioning the different weapon types etc I have....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Dumping the current gear into inventory when choosing a new loadout, needs to change.

Dumping into inventory is insane on the face of it, if you really think about it. For one, who has 20 open inventory slots?! Not me. And unless your other loadout is *exactly* the same as your current one (sort of defeats the purpose of switching, LOL), changing loadouts means your inventory will only grow -- and you didn't even have enough room in it to begin with.

In fine Cryptic tradition, I'm sure our feedback will all get ignored. But in case any devs happens to read, *please* re-consider this poor implementation of the loadout system.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • jediphoenixjediphoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Any new news on BFAW?
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    While this is not a true solution, as it does not address the issue of inadequate inventory space. I would like to suggest that if the current implementation of inventory swapping goes ahead, at least some frustration could still be avoided.

Right now when we open up an NPC Vender we have three tabs. 'Buy', 'Sell' and 'Buyback'. Lets add a new tab. 'Sell bound'. Then add a filter to the 'Sell' tab so that it only displays items that have not yet been bound to character.

Finally add an option to the context sensitive menu when we right click an item in our inventory; 'Bind to character'. This is necessary as some items do not normally bind, but we may wish to avoid selling them. Party Poppers being one example.

Now to complete the system have the inventory sort button prioritize bound items over unbound. That way the junk we pick up and may wish to sell gets put at the bottom and items that load out switching dumps into our inventory and may need putting back in our bank will be towards the top.

I still do not want items going into my inventory when I change load outs. My character is too well established, with too many things and too many ships. However I appreciate that swapping items into slots on other ships, while preferable for ease of storage, does present problems.

If I have dual cannons in my load out and want to swap them for arrays on a federation cruiser the system lacks a slot to accommodate those cannons. We have similar problems when swapping out unique consoles.

For this reason I see pulling the slots off of our ships and combining them into a ship inventory space as the best solution. Replacing the inventory slots with 'link' slots to link to the items in the inventory.

Still while my solution might seem relatively simple to code it may be completely incompatible with the existing system and I will take the load out system cryptic give us and appreciate it as best I can.
  • ikuruyoikuruyo Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    We need a delete loadout option. Non C-store ships cannot be dismissed willy nilly or at all really as either it'll cost a bomb to get another or you literally cannot get it anymore. Simply give us the option to delete the loadout and slot from a ship and return it to our loadout 'pool' of slots.

To those talking about storing equipment IN the loadout, it's just the wrong way to solve the problem.
    Sure it may promote grinding more rep gear but what about lockbox and lobi consoles/gear? They're rare and expensive to buy. You might only own one of some type of console. If everything is stored IN the loadout slot, how do you save that one unique item across multiple loadouts?
    Then there'd be the extra database size needed to cope with such a thing. Not good.

This man has the answer:

You beat me to suggesting this :)
    Definitely do this.
    I disagree about 'shared bank' (account wide bank), that shouldn't be an option as bound gear cannot go there.

Once loadouts are in the game, it literally wont matter what randomly gets put on your other inactive ships, you just load a setup and it's all fine again.

Currently equipped gear should either:
    GO INTO OTHER INACTIVE SHIP GEAR SLOTS

OR

SWITCH PLACES WITH THE ITEM BEING EQUIPPED

Either will solve the inventory problem nicely

also
    Along with other ships, inventory and bank, can we PLEASE have quick equip be able to pull from the C-store? So we can grab C-store ship special consoles without having to commission/decommission them?
    This can free up more space as we can get rid of items we're not using but still keep all ship slots full.

The idea with saving the items in the loadout is that it could just pull the item from a different loadout if it needed it. Although I guess it would end up looking similar to an "equiped gear" tab on the inside that would just pull what it needs from the pool of items you have in your layouts.

A lot of people bemoan the need to delete ships in order to get loadout slots back but they seem to be missing the fact that ALL SHIPS WILL COME WITH TWO LOADOUT SLOTS. You only need to buy slots if you are going to be using more then TWO loadouts on a ship and you would only need to delete a ship to recover a loadout slot if it had more then 3 in use and you were desperate for a 3rd+ loadout slot on another ship and did not want to pay for another pack of them.

From the noteds:

New Features:
    [*]Loadouts: Switch builds with just a couple clicks!
    • Open your ship's status window and click Manage Loadouts to create a new one. Each ship has 2 free loadouts and a maximum of 32.
      • Additional loadout slots can be purchased in the C-Store in sets of 10. Use them in any order on any number of ships, and discharge a ship to have the slots refunded to you.
    • Loadouts save all of your ship's current equipment and bridge officer stations.
    • Loadouts pull your saved equipment from your inventory, other ships, or bank.
    • Items in your account bank or fleet bank will not be retrieved.
    • Changing a build takes any gear currently equipped and places it into your inventory or Overflow bag.
    • Use Save As... to save any changes to your current loadout, or Rename it. Both are in the Manage Loadouts Menu.
    • There is a 60 second cooldown between switching loadouts.
    [/LIST]

We need to see what the pricing for the loadout slots is but if its 1000 zen or less for 10 then that would be 100 zen for a slot. I could afford to have 1 or 2 slots wasted on ships I decided to put 3 or more loadouts on, especially if they were lockbox/special sihps. I'm assuming that they stick with typical STO pricing for services though, not NW type prices.

I fully expect to be very limiting on how I use payed for loadout slots and consider carefully before I put 3 or more different loadout options on one ship.
    edited January 2014
    Then why exactly are you insisting that it has to be fixed before this goes live? Obviously it wasn't a priority for them, perhaps you are confusing their "vision" of how we should be playing for how you play - nobody I play with bothers to get multiple sets of space gear, they just get one and move it to whatever ship they are using when they want to use it. To do otherwise is a waste of time, and, more importantly, precious inventory slots.

So what you are saying is that everyone you know that plays has all their gear on one ship and the other ships they have are empty of equipment? I will say that the people I KNOW and play with do have ships filled with gear set for multiple purposes. What the loadout system could do is allow this on their favorite ship.
    And where is your assumption that they will NOT listen to the feedback being overwhelmingly stated in this thread coming from? You are simply fear mongering (DOOOOOOM!); there has been no mention either way, because it's been two days. Believe it or not, Cryptic is interested in making sure that the game is playable in the way we want to play it, not purposefully going around to TRIBBLE players off. They didn't spend hundreds of man-hours developing a system that has been frequently requested for 4 years so that nobody will use it.

It is not my assumption, but based off of four years of playing this game and watching it be developed. Once something hits Tribble, especially the larger systems, there is little change to them no matter what the community points out. If they truly have the desire to make the game we want to play, then they are still going about it in the wrong way by not engaging the community at early stages rather than the final stages of systems meant to improve the quality of life in game. As far as "doom" and "fear mongering", that is quite an emotional response and no where in my posts am I saying the game is over. I am providing constructive criticism here. You think the system is perfect, fine, that is your opinion which is shared by players and mine is that it need to be improved which is also shared by many players.

See above. You are basing all of this on the assumption that this is how the system is going to go live. We are here in this thread to tell the devs what we feel is not working in the current build. To constantly prophesize doom in the test forums is not helpful and in fact is harmful to the game. Give good feedback, with good reasons, and leave it at that - there's no need to go around spouting all this anti-Cryptic rhetoric.

See my above. I do give good feedback and I do give good reason. Pointing out things that need improvement that get ignored are even more harmful to the game.
    I will admit I have not been as active in multiple MMOs as of the last year or so, but I can't think of a single one that I do play where you don't have to go to a location to access your bank storage. If you can access it anywhere, it's not bank storage, it's inventory. STO is actually pretty generous in this regard, allowing you to get the trade freighter item for free, letting you use other people's trade freighters (the 30 minute timer isn't bad when you are in a group and can stagger usage), and letting you get to the account back from any bridge.

SWTOR is one, I can access everything from inside my ship. I still need to go to social zones however for specific vendors, as a hub for different missions, for some crafting, etc...
    edited February 2014

Foot meet mouth...assumption validated

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1019981

Like I said, once it hits Tribble it is basically in final form no matter what we feel, say, or point out.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Foot meet mouth...assumption validated

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1019981

Like I said, once it hits Tribble it is basically in final form no matter what we feel, say, or point out.

Yup, it will be horrible. :(

Lets hope they add a toggle so we can turn the loadout and item switching off.

I have found that it is actually slower than the old system of just going to a ship selector and swapping items out....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well, I can't speak for any of you, but I'm loving the feature, as is, even if it is making me re-think my entire inventory management scheme.

Firstly, it let me delete like 15 or so extra tac consoles, 2 old mk11 STF sets, my spare assimilated module, ETC... No need to have duplicate gear, even for your shuttle.

Second, getting rid of all the fluff gear let me discharge some of my ships that I had around just for storage purposes, and let me clean up the others that I never flew because they were holding more gear for me.

Third, instead of carrying one of every torp type and mine type so I could switch them out when I wanted too, I can leave them all on ships and just swap loadout or pluck one with quick equip when I want to. That alone opened up like 20 inventory slots.

Fourth, It is still faster for me to switch loadouts a bunch of times, then hit a ship selector NPC and dump the gear back then it would have taken me to fly back to that spot anyway, manually rearange things, set my boffs and doffs, fly away, realize I forgot something, fly back... YEah...

So, even with the inventory being used in such a manner, I'm not finding a real downside. The system itself provided me more then enough inventory space just by existing for me to not worry about switching ships or loadouts once in a while.

And... It's not like I can't just park outside K-7 like I usually do and pop in if my inventory gets full...
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard